As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

'That' person who annoys you.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm going to get behind the "people who talk about WoW in real life" response. The thing is, I have a WoW related shirt I sometimes wear, so I guess I'm just asking for it. But I figure people would realize there's a time and a place for any sort of detailed discussion. I don't mind getting asked, "Oh you play WoW? What server? Horde or Alliance?" That should be it, really. Then there's people like the register biscuit at Barnes & Noble who decided to talk about raiding right then and there, when my transaction is completed.

Meh, it's fine, in limited quantities with the right people. My brothers both play, and one of them is newer to it, so he likes to talk about it a lot(he doesn't post on forums so he has no out of game outlet). Generally I'm fine with it, if we're not around other company that I'd rather be discussing other things with.

But I get tired of it, because I don't play. I don't see some big fundamental difference about talking about WoW, versus going into detail about sports and stats, or basically any detailed conversation about a hobby.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I do find it kind of funny that WoW players often refuse to talk about it in public. I would only talk about it to people that also played it, but the bottom line is that WoW is shameful to play and god forbid you admit to playing it in public.

It's obnoxious when there are one or more people in the conversation that don't play WoW - to them it would be incomprehensible. Otherwise it's like another hobby - a hobby you are deeply ashamed of.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The stereotypes who hang out at card and comic shops. The stereotypes who populated my Japanese class in college.

People who make my life difficult in ways that I cannot intercept or avoid. Like that girl who kissed me and then told her boyfriend that she kissed me.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    KtnmooKtnmoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That person that says "epic fail" or "suck fail" (or any variation) whenever the situation presents itself

That person that uses very opportunity to cite an internet meme (sorta related to the above)

That person that shakes his/her head at you. It just annoys me. Disapproval annoys me.

Ktnmoo on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My lab partner, who is one of those people who's smart, but way, way out of it. Every time there's a simple way to do something, he does it the complicated way.

I point out the simple way, and the TA points out the simple way...but he just ignores us, chugging away on his calculator and mumbling to himself, until he finally finds the answer that I've already had for ten minutes.

(For anyone who's taken circuits, the kind of thing I'm talking about is him doing a full blown circuit analysis every damn time he needs to solve for something, instead of conveniently relating the values you've already measured.)

And no matter how much I try to usher him along, nothing works.

"Alright, so Z=X/Y. That makes it about 2.5."
    "...urg...cancellation of the reactance...hrg...equal and opposite..."
    "Okay, so, Z=2.5. X/Y. Just divide them."
    "...mrb...so, the impedance...inverse of the frequency...bwah, huh?"
    "Z is 2.5."
    "...ugh..so, Z is what? Let me calculate it, I can just..."
    "FUCKING 2.5, DAMN IT, FUCKING PAY ATTENTION AND STOP DOING WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING, IT'S X OVER GOD DAMNED Y."
    "...hrg..ok, my analysis says like maybe 2.5."

Last semester, my partner and I were done about an hour early every lab. Now, I'm lucky if I ever get out on time.

Another friend of mine once showed this guy that flash game Line Rider, and he immediately set to calculating the speed, acceleration due to gravity, friction, etc., to determine a rating of the accuracy of the game with respect to real life conditions.

My other friend just kind of looked at him and said, "Dude...why don't you just like to draw lines and have the guy ride 'em?"

Taximes on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I do find it kind of funny that WoW players often refuse to talk about it in public. I would only talk about it to people that also played it, but the bottom line is that WoW is shameful to play and god forbid you admit to playing it in public.

It's obnoxious when there are one or more people in the conversation that don't play WoW - to them it would be incomprehensible. Otherwise it's like another hobby - a hobby you are deeply ashamed of.

So...like drinking or heroin?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    People who make my life difficult in ways that I cannot intercept or avoid. Like that girl who kissed me and then told her boyfriend that she kissed me.

Ugh. How about:

"I like you, Sheep, and I really wanna be with you."

Oh. Sweet. Come over tomorrow and we'll hang out and work things out.

*next day*

Go in, make a move, kiss her, nice 15 minutes of makin out and then suddenly she's guilted about her boyfriend.

Look, you can't have us both.

Sheep on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One guy here laughs like a damn hyena.

One guy here pisses all over the toilet and/or floor.

One lady here puts her hands in the ice at the fruit bar and sometimes picks her nose while she grazes from the fruit. She only buys half of what she eats.

I can tolerate Hyenaman. The rest I'm ready to kill.

GungHo on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, Japanophiles. Weeaboos. Whatever we call them these days. Specifically, one of my roomies from back in California. Let's just call him Jason.

This guy was ridiculous. I'll never forget the day I went over to visit my brother (before I moved in) where we somehow got into the crap about knights vs. samurai. It was my fault it came up. I made some sort of joke about stupid discussion, and used it as an example, and Jason decided to use it as an opportunity to take it seriously. My brother and other friend were present and were happy with me when I asked Jason to use his 'authentic' sword to demonstrate its ability to easily cut through objects. He said, "Hell no!" with great offense and left the room.

Another one of my favorite things that happened regarding Jason, which I sadly forgot some details to, was when he was having a sort of "sigh, should I be with my girlfriend" moment. She lived with us, but she wasn't around to hear about this. Apparently, Jason had asked her on several occasions to say something in Japanese, or do stupid poses or squeaks or some such, all in public. This is where my memory gets fuzzy, but in asking questions to either him or my brother and friend, we found out he thought she wasn't "Japanese enough" for his liking.

She was from the Philippines.

It made for a good laugh though. "I think it would really improve our relationship a lot if you would start speaking Japanese."

He had no knowledge of Japanese history, despite his complete hard-on for the nation. He liked every anime he watched, though found Dragon Ball Z to be the best of all of them.

The guy had lots of other shortcomings as a person, but this was the most pronounced.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GungHo wrote: »

One lady here puts her hands in the ice at the fruit bar and sometimes picks her nose while she grazes from the fruit. She only buys half of what she eats.

I think the last sentence combined with the avatar makes this a red flag post.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Bear traps in the ice.

Bama on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People that use business-speak to try and sound smart.

"So here's my prrof of concept, By the end of play, I'll pencil in a blue-sky sitdown. Bring your A-game guys, we need to shift paradigms and think outside the square. We need to Leverage our resources to make the most of any low hanging fruit and capitalise on any blue-birds. How's that sound chaps? I'll fly it up the flagpole and see if it flaps in the breeze."

...cocks.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »

"So here's my prrof of concept, By the end of play, I'll pencil in a blue-sky sitdown. Bring your A-game guys, we need to shift paradigms and think outside the square. We need to Leverage our resources to make the most of any low hanging fruit and capitalise on any blue-birds. How's that sound chaps? I'll fly it up the flagpole and see if it flaps in the breeze."

...cocks.

You and me, we are of one mind.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »

I think the last sentence combined with the avatar makes this a red flag post.
    Have you ever tried to piss in a urinal and tried to keep your legs spread far enough that you doing stand in a puddle of stale urine while also not trying to let your feet cross the invisible line between urinals and end up having a Larry Craig moment with the guy standing next to you? That guy who is also not trying to stand in piss and who is probably going to be mad at you for stepping on his $500 shoes with your pee-stained soles, and who has a full stream of mellow yellow going?

My best day would crush most people.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do people actually say shit like that? I thought scott adams was exaggerating.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Erandus wrote: »

...cocks.

We should network.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008

...cocks.

We should network.

I'll reach out to you and schedule some face time.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008

...cocks.

We should network.

Well played sir.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

...cocks.

We should network.

:winky:

EDIT for some sembalance of content: In high school there was this one girl who hung around with our group who everyone found annoying. In one of those inexplicable ways where you don't know exactly why the person is annoying, you can't pinpoint it. And every so often I'd kinda feel sorry for her because the guys were pretty mean when talking about her.

Then I'd spend a small amount of time around her and then I'd agree with them.

And then I'd forget all about that and feel sorry for her again, and so the cycle continued.

Also one of my friends has this annoying guy in his uni course who follows him around all the time. The kind who always has to be right, but never is, yet doesn't realise. And my fried always wants to punch him.

Me and my friend are at different universities in the same city, but occasionally we'll end up on the same bus, and I'll see him talking to the annoying guy at the bus stop, and as soon as the guy's out of sight my friend will turn to me with a look of sheer anguish.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    -Whoever came up with series and sequences needs to rot, and that person annoys me. :P

-I have a guy at work who always stops to talk to me. Not really that bad... except he has the personality of a doorknob. He's so incredibly boring that I want to take my head and slam it into a window.

-My parent's dog. It really needs to shut the fuck up.

urahonky on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Girls who "complain" about guys hitting on them it's obvious that the complaint is actually a "hey everyone, look how many guys are hitting on me!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »
    "Working hard or hardly working?"

:x I get that all the time.

Also: "HEYYYYYYYYYYY urahonky, welcome to work! It's almost noon, you just wake up?" Everytime I see my boss.

urahonky on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »
    "Working hard or hardly working?"

One of my bosses used to say that a lot to customers. It isn't creative at all.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I really just hate anybody that's similar to me. I'm far too conceited and self-assured despite the fact that I'm not terribly intelligent or creative or special. Anybody like that makes me want to hurt them.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I have an uncle who never speaks to get your attention- he never even taps your shoulder. He whistles, or hums, or snaps his fingers... I'm not a fucking dog, bro. :(

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That reminds me.. People who call me "bro".
    :winky:

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My bad, brah.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm laughing to keep from crying.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    How about this?

Girl I dated off and on for years. Since we were, like... three years old and were "boyfriend and girlfriend" as little children.

She ended up marrying this douche bag.

Better yet, he's a douche bag in disguise. We ended up sharing an apartment together for a while. I hung out with the guy for a bit before hand to see if I got along with him. Seemed alright.

But he would just do shit to get on your nerves. Mooch, basically. Like, got a friend kicked out his place because douchebag left his broken down truck in the church parking lot across the street for two weeks.

They'd go grocery shopping, ask if I need anything, I'd hand them fifty bucks. They wouldn't come back with anything I asked, and used my money to buy cleaning supplies and shit.

Or I'd not be home and he'd complain about how often I didn't hang out there. You know, shit my mom said when I was 18 that prompted me to move out of her house.

There's the time I had to stop him from buying some spray paint to keep him from creating and assigning parking spaces.

He's just one of those jerks that doesn't do anything outlandish, just tons of incredible small things that make you want to pull his teeth out, completed by the fact that he's completely oblivious.

None of my friends liked him either, and everytime we had a crowd over he'd pull out his acoustic guitar and play the same Lynard Skynard song. Never touched the thing in his free time.

They eventually got kicked out. Apparently they started smoking tons of pot and cigarettes that the whole building started to stink. Moved out at the end of the month and stuck a mutual friend of ours with all of the bills.

I'll talk to her every now and then. I don't particularly blame her for what happened, I love the girl, and she has the problem of adopting the attitude of whatever guy she's dating. I also blame myself for not making the right moves at the right time, mainly due to past girlfriends. Obviously, bad choice in the long run, cause I'm not dating those girls anymore. :P

But not even her mom likes the guy. Didn't even go to their wedding.

I'll text her from time to time, but if I realize it's him, I just stop responding.

I await the day they split. I will be there.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    I await the day they split. I will be there.

advanced-crying.jpg

or

kiss.jpg

?

Organichu on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That reminds me.. People who call me "Chief".

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The guy who works at the desk next to me eats louder than anyone I've ever met. About noon every day I start hearing *SHLURPSHQUSHSMACKSHLIP* and just get the fuck out of there.

Also, a friend of mine is utterly unable to retort to anything I say with anything other than "fagbot."

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The guy at work who is really motivated and energetic and uses a lot of buzzwords, but doesn't actually know a fucking thing.

He impresses upper management because they know even less than he does, and his go-getter attitude and use of catch phrases like "I'll own that action item and reach out to you when it's resolved" looks good in your bosses eyes and earns him all the praise. He's about as useful as teats on a boar, but nobody catches on to his crap.

Man, I hate this guy.

He has that sort of blank stare every time I talk to him.

I'm not sure how he has got this far in life. Its like there's a monkey in his head playing cymbals.

I guess my contribution would be the guy who never flushes the toilet in work.

Some horrid shits I've seen.

Rotam on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Feminist fundamentalists (or is it fundamentalist feminists?)

Please explain.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People who say 'don't be that guy'.

Mostly because they are usually 'that guy'.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    People who fantastically butcher movie quotes.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    People who fantastically butcher movie quotes.

I do this sometimes because I repeat a lot of quotes from Hot Fuzz. I don't mean to... They just seem to fit anywhere.

STOP YELLING AT ME!

urahonky on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Snoring can get out of control:
    (CNN) — As horrified travelers watched, a Greyhound Canada bus passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated the young man sitting beside him, who was sleeping with his head leaning against the window, a witness said Thursday.

“There was a blood-curdling scream. I was just reading my book and all of a sudden I heard it,” said Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the two men. “It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say. I don’t think it will leave me for a while.”

Caton said he shouted at the other passengers, many of whom also were sleeping, to leave. “Everybody got off the bus. Me and a trucker that stopped and the Greyhound driver ran up to the door to maybe see if the guy was still alive. … We saw that the guy was cutting off the guy’s head.”

Doc on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People who are overly... physical, in the sense that they always have to high five, punch you in the arm, etc.

Toldo on
This discussion has been closed.