As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Musicians Thread (not music thread)

• Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tapping is so fucking hard jesus christ what am I doing wrong.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey let's not turn this into a bass players thread.

That being said, my favorite bass player is Michael Manring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4Ra2KOyas

haha, christ

he plays that thing like it has 40 different strings

potatoe on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I should really pick up my trupmet again

I just need to find some music to play

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I do some electronic stuff (very sparingly now, I used to do it solely). Was mostly into the minimal techno scene, still dig the sound, just don't listen to it as much or make it.
    (heres the m-space for that project)

Currently working on a "theoretical" project at the moment with a friend, and I say theoretical because literally no work is getting done on it and thats my fault. It's a bit of post-rock with some industrial and metal and will HOPEFULLY BE PRETTY RAD OKAY?

Heres a demo/draft thing for the first E.P we're working on.

Cliky

as soon as this gets finished we're jumping straight into the first concept album which is going to be pretty boss, then find some people to play in the live show and start whoring ourselves because thats how the scene works.

e; oh yeah my bedrooms a studio basically how rad is that

e2; man I havent listened to my techno stuff in forever and its kind of funny.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a little recording set up in the corner of my living room also. I can record everything but drums pretty decently right now, but I'm going to get a set of Roland V Drums to fix that.

I also do electronic stuff but it's much more pop and dance oriented. I used to be the background half of a synth pop duo that some forumers know and love called Dust of Broken Heart but that is sort of defunct right now. I very recently finished what is to be the first in a line of solo tracks and put it up on the line, you can find that track HERE

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    oh i have that dust of broken heart album if anyone wants me to upload it for them

just don't tell cap

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No, please take it, and give it away to anyone you know. I'm knot going to hand it out to people, but I'm way over trying to make money off of that thing. How'd you like it by the way?

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    so i've been playing drums on rock band for about eight months now. been at expert for seven of those months.

couple weeks back found myself in front of a friend's drum kit, picked up the sticks and had a jolly old time. seriously, that damn vidya game was like a crash course in rhythm.

i'm going off to college now and am considering spending the money to pick up a basic kit, because I am a music nerd and have always loved music but have never really enjoyed playing the guitar and haven't tried any other instruments.

Shankusu on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i actually kind of like that syn stuff, fab

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have a little recording set up in the corner of my living room also. I can record everything but drums pretty decently right now, but I'm going to get a set of Roland V Drums to fix that.

I also do electronic stuff but it's much more pop and dance oriented. I used to be the background half of a synth pop duo that some forumers know and love called Dust of Broken Heart but that is sort of defunct right now. I very recently finished what is to be the first in a line of solo tracks and put it up on the line, you can find that track HERE

Theres a plugin called Addictive drums that is basically a digital drum kit that sounds horribly convincing.

its what I used on parapraxis up there.

hold on i'll find a link

http://www.xlnaudio.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs7lMlvk0wg

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No, please take it, and give it away to anyone you know. I'm knot going to hand it out to people, but I'm way over trying to make money off of that thing. How'd you like it by the way?

well then, shit, in that case i do have a couple people i'll throw it at that may dig it.

and, i've been enjoying it quite a bit. listened through it a dozen or so times now, it's really grown on me.
    definitely my kind of music

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Projeck wrote: »
    i actually kind of like that syn stuff, fab

Thanks, but hopefully this E.P will be 100x beyond that production quality, I've been working quite a bit since then.

e; Cap, you could put it up on some places. The big D-oid has this "music by our members" thing that I fully intend on utilizing once I get stuff finished.

You get a front page mention and a link to your download. I'm not exactly sure how they pick them though, I guess whoever they like the most.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shankusu wrote: »
    so i've been playing drums on rock band for about eight months now. been at expert for seven of those months.

couple weeks back found myself in front of a friend's drum kit, picked up the sticks and had a jolly old time. seriously, that damn vidya game was like a crash course in rhythm.

i'm going off to college now and am considering spending the money to pick up a basic kit, because I am a music nerd and have always loved music but have never really enjoyed playing the guitar and haven't tried any other instruments.

If you can scrape together the cash (easy if you buy from American Musical Supply) I would definitely suggest picking up one of THESE for the dorm room. They're super compact, high quality and you can play with headphones on or plug them into an amp if you want to play with a band. Plus, the skills you learned in Rock Band would probably translate very well.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    as far as voice stuff goes, I have a bit of a conundrum

I have an alright singing voice (or so I'm told) but am a little bit tone-deaf (which is being cured), but the real problem is that I don't actually know what sounds good. Isaac Brock growling, Zach Condon crooning, Wayne Coyne breaking down, I just dunno, and usually I can't decide well enough to make it sound at all worthwhile.

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    fab, i'm likin' this syn music. very nice
    the fact that i started it up and it's still playing in the background and i haven't jumped over to start flippin' through songs really says a lot for me.

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    For future reference Shoemakers is a joke track.

Though it does sound like robots making shoes in a factory.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shankusu wrote: »

If you can scrape together the cash (easy if you buy from American Musical Supply) I would definitely suggest picking up one of THESE for the dorm room. They're super compact, high quality and you can play with headphones on or plug them into an amp if you want to play with a band. Plus, the skills you learned in Rock Band would probably translate very well.

Well I have a basement to put my shit in, and that's a little out of my price range. I hear you can spend ~$500 to get a reasonable set (crash, hi-hat, couple snares, a tap, a bass, maybe).

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fabricate wrote: »

Theres a plugin called Addictive drums that is basically a digital drum kit that sounds horribly convincing.

its what I used on parapraxis up there.

hold on i'll find a link

http://www.xlnaudio.com/

snip

Well I have plenty of drum machines and samplers and what not for my own use, I mostly want something that a real drummer can sit down and rip on for recordings of full bands and what not.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    shit fab, i didn't even see the yousendit link until just now
    also great

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    potatoe wrote: »
    shit fab, i didn't even see the yousendit link until just now
    also great

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

We don't have a newsletter :(

but we have a myspace with shitty old demo that got cut from the E.P tracklist because I hate it.

I take that back I don't HATE IT because the synth riff is pretty cool but most of it is pretty eh

I should put parapraxis up on this.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    well i didn't actually think you had a newsletter, it's just a saying

but, lemme know when you get the EP done

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    also, cappy, i think i might actually like that solo song even more than DoBH

and that's not just me deafly slobbering your knob

potatoe on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am currently shit out of luck with a creative outlet to play bass sans my on-and-off teacher who im currently taking lessons from till I go back to school (He plays guitar and electric bass). One of the guys in (what was) my band left for school/navy rotc last week leaving it effectively defunct since he sang/played lead guitar/provided the rehearsal and recording area.

I know two guys who do some nice experimental/acoustic stuff but they've already got a bassist from what I hear and aren't interested in a conventional band setup. However I'm trying to do some stuff on my own since i've written my own multi-layered bass stuff (being able to tap and do double/triple-stops does wonders) and will be writing more stuff now that I have my guitar back. Anyone know of a good recording deck that wont break the bank?

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Why not hit craigslist in your area and look for a cool gig to fill in the gaps?

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My band just finished recording 2 new songs on sunday and for being recorded in our drummer's basement, they turned out pretty good I think.

I'm the vocalist and I have progressed so far from what I sounded like from when we first started.

http://www.myspace.com/aportraitofthefallen

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have been playing bass since last october. Most of the songs I know are Muse songs, but I have been really expanding my genres, learning stuff from Bob Marley to Sigur Ros.

I am going to a show tonight at Neumos. Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band's premier show!

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My band just finished recording 2 new songs on sunday and for being recorded in our drummer's basement, they turned out pretty good I think.

I'm the vocalist and I have progressed so far from what I sounded like from when we first started.

http://www.myspace.com/aportraitofthefallen

Not my favorite type of tunes but it sounds good. The recording has a nice raw gritty tone to it, but the vocals could be clearer. Did you multi-track it or did you all play/sing at the same time?

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    PlanBPlanB Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i'm learning how to play guitar

i kinda know how to play drums

i'm a good singer

basically i am years away from being bandworthy

PlanB on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PlanB wrote: »
    i'm learning how to play guitar

i kinda know how to play drums

i'm a good singer

basically i am years away from being bandworthy

The best way to gain experience is to fool around with others in a jam session band you know.

There is pretty much zero entry level requirements for a band if you're just doing it to have fun and get better.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Why not hit craigslist in your area and look for a cool gig to fill in the gaps?

I actually hit craigslist earlier in the spring since the band was basically inactive following the winter. However most of the postings were either:

a) Some adolescent who just picked up a guitar or drum set and were all "I'm starting a band! LOL!"

b) Professional cover bands looking for a new full time bassist. I'm not interested in that route, plus im a student first, and my amplification gear is hardly at the level for the professional circuit; i'm lucky my entry level 300 watt & 2x12 half stack is as loud and quality sounding as it is since anything cheaper would sound like asshole.

or c) some up and coming local band trying to make it professionally who "JUST GOT MAJOR LABEL ATTENTION" and looking for a full time guy. All these entries reeked of bullshit, and again even if they were legit i have commitments as a student.

There was this one jam band who were a very laid back outfit and full of 30/40 year old stoners. They sounded pretty good from their demos on myspace but were looking for someone at their age. Sucks cause it wouldve been awesome to jam with them at the same time though it'd be weird seeing all those guys and then this 19 year old college kid amongst them.

Thus im hoping to find people when i head back to school this fall, or possibly being able to do something off-hand with the two experimental/acoustic guys.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    As a bassist, the best thing to do is often throw up an ad yourself saying what your looking through and then sift through the replies.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Y'know I didnt think of that as obvious as it seems. I'll probably post one up later tonight and see what that gets me.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I play guitar and bass and it's getting to the point where I really would like to find some people to play with again, but all my friends who play are either in bands or want to play things I really can't be doing with and all my friends who I might actually want to play with are even less motivated than me.

It is a shite situation, but I'm fairly happy banging away on my own, particularly since I got an acoustic guitar and can really enjoy playing on my own and shouting along in my own little way

I love playing most things I can physically play, from rancid to nick drake. I love odd chords or odd voicings and just throwing them in where they fit

I started off playing the bass, since my dad's were always laying about and whatnot, but I've been out of practice lately since I loaned my bass amp out to a friend so he could play his electric drumkit without headphones (I KNOW YOU'LL READ THIS MIKE, I NEED MY AMP BITCHCHOPS)

I love my bass amp most of all, even though it's not the best it does EXACTLY what I need it to intuitively, which I have problems with with some amps

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fabricate on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been taking bass lessons for about 6 months now I guess. Unfortunately half of the people I was supposed to be jamming with over the summer moved to England. Right now my bass is stuck out in my garage in the heat, which seriously hampers my desire to practice. But, in the next couple of days my brother will be moving out, meaning I can get my bass back up in my room for much more regular practicing.

I just started fooling around with a pick, to expand my arsenal of tricks and damn playing with a pick feels weird.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VmikesmittyVmikesmitty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    My income comes from Piano.

So. I play a little.

Also I'm a music Composition Major, 2 years at Oberlin Conservatory of Music, then transferred(ish, long story) to Penn State to work with Dr. Barsom(Best teacher ever).

So also a bit of a musician.

Khavall, I like your music.

You have gained a fan.

Vmikesmitty on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    would someone like to give me voice lessons

i am too broke to drop hundreds of dollars on a decent teacher

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Tim-OTim-O Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I used to play violin. Screw that shit, too much trouble.

So now I play guitar (acoustic) and sing. It's a lot more fun. And I try to song write, although I don't often like the songs I end up writing too much. I'm probably just too critical of myself.

Anyways, half of my job is to organize and lead music for a church. It's nice to get paid to do that kind of stuff.

Tim-O on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Fiz wrote: »
    My income comes from my voice. I'm practicing for the next Opera I'll be in AS WE SPEAK

Bastard.

I've got a two week lull before any of my regular gigs start up again.

And I just came off of like, 6 gigs at once.

The good news is I have like, time now to, like, sleep.

The bad news is I'm also not making any money right now.

The only reason I am not homeless is that my rich parents are letting me mooch while I save up for rull life

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quirk wrote: »
    some crap about my amp

i totally still need the amp

it props my door open just right

bent on
    sig1.png