As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - OOC] zephyr : words

• Options
    srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    I live. And I accept my initiative by proxy. The question is, am I initiated now? I don't recall.

I moved at the end of December and into the beginning of January. My main PC is still in parts and boxes, but one of my laptops is fully armed and operational, so I can use it.

What are we fighting? Unthinkable nightmares from beyond any mortal ken? I hit it with my swords.

Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Yay! Welcome back!

hehe. I feel so bad about this turn. :X

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I thought to myself, surely somebody will hit this thing so I don't have to burn an action point to kill the only dude my character is aware of on the third turn of combat.

Oh dice.

How could i have underestimated your cruelty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Quick summary:

Right now you're fighting creatures that have a vaguely humanoid shape. Their four limbs end in bulbs that open into four "fingers." The insides of these fingers are lined with small spikes whose purpose remains unknown to you at this point. They seem to be extremely flexible, but popping sounds in their contortions suggest maybe there are bones or something inside of them. The face of the creature features two sets of eyes. A lower, larger set of eyes that look very much like insect eyes. And a smaller set that look human in nature. Their mouth is more of a circular ring (kind of like a drawstring on a bag), and hidden behind it are row after row of pointy teeth.

No attempts have been made to nature or otherwise discern what the creatures are a hybrid of.

You know that the creature can squeeze into small places easily.
    You know that the creatures are able to hide very well in that they have a natural camouflage.
    You know that the creatures have reach of at least 2.
    You know that the creature is able to perform some kind of daze attack.
    You (now) know that the creature is able able to deflect attacks using grabbed objects/creatures.

The creatures show signs of intelligence.
    The creatures are not evil aligned.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    @srboyceboat:

It's at 1 HP, so a lot of this will be moot by next round (hopefully), but... :P
    Question... if it moves while carrying me, it's still technically moving through my threaten area, right? Just because my threaten area is moving too doesn't mean that I'm not still a threat. I'm asking if, providing it moves, I get to OA at it.

Also, let's assume it does move. Unless it holds at "arm's" length, it won't have "moved away" from me, meaning my Censure isn't triggered, right? Or is the very act of moving in a direction where I'm not a "move away," regardless of if I follow up on it or not. It has to pass big ol' strength checks to drag me, right? Right? Probs not.

It needs to make a strength check vs your fort in order to drag you at half its speed when it moves. The rules specifically state that the movement doesn't provoke an OA from the grabbed target, so you wouldn't get to attack it. If a power/ability could be used in place of an opportunity attack, it would not be possible either as it's still protected movement.

Since it has natural reach, it if it were to move itself away from you while staying within its reach, the grab would also not end. However it would have to make a strength check vs your fort to do this too. This would also be protected movement.

In either case you'd get the censure of pursuit bonus. That's why it didn't move away when it was hunting for Keegan.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    @Tofystedeth: I just remembered that you have a Periapt of Wisdom, which has a daily item power that gives you a +5 bonus to your will defense when attacked.

OR I REMEMBERED BEFORE AND NEGLECTED TO TELL YOU. bwhahaahahaaha or something. :P

but yeah, you do. just fyi.

@Denada: When will you ever use the elderwood falcon? you don't even have it on your sheet anymore! :(

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Yea... I guess you would have forgotten about an item you picked up over 2 years ago. XD

But I never forget... I have spreadsheets.

You got it when you broke into someone's house in between saving the world on Nelvana. It just conjures a falcon to fight along side you.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Oh okay. I thought I might have picked it up then but I honestly couldn't remember what I stole. I think I'll save it for when we're fighting NegaHuxley.

• Options
    Wait, NegaHuxley would be fighting with us against Huxley Prime.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    At first, but then NegaHuxley is going to reveal that he's actually Shadow Huxley, and then we have to fight him in his final form, which is Neonega Angehuxleymon.

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    @tastydonuts - How come the new beast's "*20*" beats Finn's 24 Will, on the Confusing Gaze attack? Do the stars make it a special roll? :P

• Options
    edited January 2013
    oh, a *20* is a natural 20 roll and conversely, *1* is a natural 1. you actually read that stuff? :P

He can't critically daze and slide you though so it just hit but those two naturals are still automatic hits/misses.

edit: although... 2d6 of psychic damage on a critical mindscrew does seem like a good idea. 8-> 8-> 8->

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    So I'd like to do something flavorful and fun like drag the beasty off his high horse (nee box. heheh. Neigh/nee. Horse. Funny) and give him the ol' 1d10 fall damage.

Short of that, assuming I free myself, can a charge include a vertical leap? Can I get a bonus because of my incredible athletical training, allowing me to spend a healing surge for the equivalent in feet cleared? I do have "Long-Distance Runner" which we COULD reflavor as "Free Runner," and I COULD kip up off the side of the opposing box to yank myself up.

Might be cool. I'm literally willing to give up a turn with an attack in it AND a healing surge to be fun an unrelenting, as befits my character, to ultimately look cool. /salespitch

• Options
    puns... *sobs*

Dragging: I would say that you can free yourself (move) and attempt to grab its arm before it pulls away (standard, normal grab initiation). You'd have to attempt to move him on either your next turn or spend an action point to get that additional standard though (normal grab rules apply there too)

Jumping: A jump can (and has been a few times) part of the move action component of a charge so long as it gets you closer to your target. Since he's 2 squares up you need to jump through 2 squares of movement and that's the minimum for a charge, so there's that. In terms of action economy be doing something along the lines of these:

Free yourself (Move), Climb up a crate (Move + Action Point), Charge (Jump 1-2 squares horizontally to make an attack as you enter and leave his threat space to land on the ground, this will grant it an OA.)

Free yourself (Move), Charge (Jump up 2 squares to make an attack as you enter and leave his threat space to land on the ground, this will grant it an OA.)

?

• Options
    I RUINED IT, DIDN'T I @srboyceboat ? T_T

• Options
    Why do I have to free myself to grab him? I can grab him back as a standard action and then use an Action point move him, no? As long as I don't move, I'm not breaking the "immobilized" rule.

If we're grabbing each other though, he can't move either, which technically would mean he can't get any closer to me, no? So it's like he's grabbing me and I'm grabbing him and we're just kind of hugging it out. Sometimes that's the best way to solve a problem. Just hug it out.

Other times, you have to stab stuff. I dunno what I wanna do. :( I guess I should just take my standard and then use my move to free myself...

• Options
    Whoops, didn't see that I was both dazed and prone. Ignore that roll i just made. Guess I'll just stand up and try to save.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why do I have to free myself to grab him? I can grab him back as a standard action and then use an Action point move him, no? As long as I don't move, I'm not breaking the "immobilized" rule.

If we're grabbing each other though, he can't move either, which technically would mean he can't get any closer to me, no? So it's like he's grabbing me and I'm grabbing him and we're just kind of hugging it out. Sometimes that's the best way to solve a problem. Just hug it out.

Other times, you have to stab stuff. I dunno what I wanna do. :( I guess I should just take my standard and then use my move to free myself...

Okay. Firstly I want to apologize because there's an entire paragraph that was supposed to be in that post that... vanished. Sometimes I think I type something and I don't. o_o

You couldn't grab him in the legal way because he's not within your reach (aka adjacent). Since he is grabbing you I meant to say you could still initiate the grab, despite his being out of your range. If you freed yourself before you initiated that grab you would be able to do it before he pulled away too. In either case you couldn't try and drag him if he had you immobilized?

If you grabbed him then he'd have to drag you closer... which he'd be able to do without moving himself due to his reach. once again, sorry! D:

edit: also, because of that confusion YOU CAN, should you choose to take the chance, get a do-over... This includes the rolls associated with your turn!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Well, I did damage, and now he has to move or take damage, either within my reach (2 squares) or drag me, which is not necessarily easy. So he either gets closer and avoids all my triggers or he runs away and I get to engage on my own terms, which will include climbing the box. We'll let it stand. I hate ret-conning a turn.

• Options
    Just so you guys know - I'll be heading out tomorrow for a trip to Disneyland, returning on Thursday. I'm not sure yet what wifi I will have in the hotel. Best case, I should be able to get on in the evenings, Pacific time. Worst case, I won't be on-line again until Thursday night.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    have fun there!

I'll see about getting an update up today. There's a few things I need to take care of first though.

Also in the process switching from my old tablet to a Surface Pro... should be interesting. Haven't tested the older version of maptools on it but the latest (?) version of it does work.

not a wacom digitizer, but so far it seems alright. :U

edit: it is a wacom digitizer, the pressure sensitivity just doesn't work in certain programs yet. :U

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    @Denada: Roll two percentiles... it is the only fair way to do this! :P

The lower the better.

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    @wildwood

Using that power at that point would cause the following revision in XUGU's turn, because it's an IR on his attack and the free action to let her go and move portion occur after:

- He does not let Ousaniel go.
    - He does not move north because there is still a threat to face.

edit: Donuts the merciful has vetoed this. Carry on.

edit2: Donus the vengeful will punish you all later! <3

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    So where is it on my turn?

• Options
    North of the boxes, per the post. not going to adjust the turn.

• Options
    edit2: Donus the vengeful will punish you all later! <3

The last three monsters will drop all at once around Finnian, grab one appendage each, and pull. Got it. :P

• Options
    lol, curse you for figuring out the correlation between the crates and number of monsters in this encounter! :P

but yea... I think eating 70+ points of damage, half of which came from your fellow party member, plus having your teammate's big damn hero moment just return to you to status quo is... a bit much. even for donuts.

• Options
    I was thinking while selecting my attack, that if I crit, I could finish him with an at-will.
    But that would never happen.
    Not twice in one fight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'll wait for @srboyceboat to do Ousaniel's turn, and then I'll do Finn's. (That's who's left to move in this round, right?)

Wouldn't want that de-buff on the last visible baddie to end any sooner than absolutely necessary... :)

• Options
    Arrrgh shit i went out of order. I saw all those posts in between him getting revived I just kind of assumed one of them was him....
    <-moron

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Paging Dr.@srboyceboat!

• Options
    will updaet soonish. busy times with projects needing to close.

• Options
    @tastydonuts - should I do Finn's move in the meantime?

• Options
    you can prepare and roll it, but you may want to wait until I take the creature's turn. THINGS MAY GET A LITTLE... spiky!

• Options
    wait, never mind me - I had spaced to an earlier gap in play. :oops:

• Options
    So, I'm not quite sure if @Srboyceboat is still around the forums... trying to resolve this before I get another update out.

• Options
    other than there being eight chambers with planar adjustments you don't need to worry about the shape itself. Seriously
    Pfft, you're just too lazy to work up a map for 8 simultaneously orthogonal quasi-local realities joined in an Elminster matrix.

steam_sig.png