As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The SavyGamer Podcast - Episode 6: Sonic Chronicles Interview

13»

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    We're not looking for guest hosts yet, but we might do in the future, I will bear you in mind. :lol:
    If you do end up looking, I'd be interested too.
    I only have my Xbox Live Headset though, I have no idea what equipment you guys use. :)

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Next Week, on the Savy Gamer Podcast: Lewie's mum discusses the hardships of raising her son.

He only gives me 2 minutes, that would take several weeks worth of podcasts!
    Yeah, he has you assembling Kitchens...and he doesn't help at all? o_O

Zilla360 on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She didn't even clean up after herself, I had to do some of the mopping.

Edit: and will do, although the list of people wanting to guest host with us is like 5/6 long now :/

LewieP on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Next Week, on the Savy Gamer Podcast: Lewie's mum discusses the hardships of raising her son.

It'd be an ongoing saga!

Also, Lewie and Willeth, do you guys have any intention of trying to find a sort of average timeframe for the length of these podcasts? I don't listen to many sites' to begin with, but this episode being well over an hour felt maybe a bit too long.
    LewieP wrote: »
    She didn't even clean up after herself, I had to do some of the mopping.
    I'm telling on you to Tube. <.<

Henroid on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Yeah, he has you assembling Kitchens...and he doesn't help at all? o_O

Can you imagine the damage Lewie would do with power tools? Just the thought of letting him loose with a jigsaw is scary!

Mind you, he is handy with a hoover and mop & bucket, and he did help put the kitchen cupboard together, and wipe the excess grout off the bathroom tiles, so he does have his uses.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited August 2008
    LewieP on
    edited August 2008
    Just uploading Episode 2 now.

LewieP on
    edited August 2008
    Episode 2 now out (give the link a minute to update)

LewieP on
    edited August 2008
    And it's up now

LewieP on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ah finally, I suspect you are having these problems because it's a billion hours long.

Don't get me wrong, I'm lovin' it (TM), but it's going to take me most of the week to get through all that.

Lave II on
    edited August 2008
    Well, yeah...sorry.

There's no obvious section to cut though, I mean, we need to do news, interviews are always good (although sorry for the low sound quality on this weeks), what we've been playing is I think entertaining, and the bargains bit is kind of SavyGamer's identity.

I don't know how we could cut it down without loosing out.

LewieP on
    edited August 2008
    Well I've not listened yet so I can't say.

But remember that no one listening will be getting their news from you. You audience is an educated one. So you only need focus on opinions and commentary, and then presumably stuff that really matters to you. Cutting away chaff I guess. But I dunno till I've listened to it.

Not meaning to put the podcast down, for the 3 episodes done and to have managed all this is awesome, but just trying to help.

Lave II on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I completely understand, I just don't really know how to make it shorter. Maybe just less news stories...

LewieP on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, but I think that will probably settle with time anyways. I wouldn't worry about.

Though, I think if you say to yourself, "we've got to get threw all this in an hour" then I think it will give your show more energy and bring out natural enthusiasm.

10m on news.
    10m on gabble.
    20m on interview/feature/main focus.
    10m on gabble\look back\over view\look forward.
    10m on bargains.

Or however you want to break it down (ever so roughly). Then just have a little timer running whilst your talking. Not to fix yourself to it, but just to have an idea of where you should be roughly.

I've no idea though.

Also: Listening to the start - when importing stuff, if you can chuck the packaging away. That really helps avoiding duty. Which you can pay on stuff you bought for yourself whilst there.

Also: Also: buzzy-beeta. You are not american, or Micheal Bayta.. :P

Lave II on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lave II wrote: »
    Though, I think if you say to yourself, "we've got to get threw all this in an hour" then I think it will give your show more energy and bring out natural enthusiasm.

10m on news.
    10m on gabble.
    20m on interview/feature/main focus.
    10m on gabble\look back\over view\look forward.
    10m on bargains.

Or however you want to break it down (ever so roughly). Then just have a little timer running whilst your talking. Not to fix yourself to it, but just to have an idea of where you should be roughly.

No. You're wrong.

There are very few shows that have imposed time limits that feel natural. If we have a time limit then it's only going to make us rushed, and I cannot abide shows that say 'oh, so we've been running for a while now, better cut it short'. If there is interesting discussion to be had on a topic then it should be allowed to run its course, as people want to listen to it. In episode 0 we experimented with limiting ourselves to a time limit and a lot of the feedback we received was that as soon as we started to talk about something interesting we moved onto the next topic. We're trying to keep it interesting.

We have an outline for the show that's roughly 2/3rds of a word document page. At our rate of discussion, that looks like it'll last around an hour anyway. The reason there have been two long shows recently is because of the extremely hefty interviews, and you can pick and choose what you listen to - that's why I spend that extra time in the editing process to pull out the show notes.

I do keep an eye on the time recorded and we do try to keep it around an hour of speech. I just really don't think it needs to be as rigid a schedule as you're proposing.

Anyway...

Lewie isn't available to do a chunk of the show next week. Who here would like to take up the torch? You'll need a decent mic, Skype and Audacity, and the ability to talk for an hour. Or more. :P

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited September 2008
    And now we're back from our hiatus.

LewieP on
    edited September 2008
    It's worth noting to anyone that's interested that I've just submitted TSP to the iTunes Store to be listed in their directory. As soon as it is you'll be able to browse and leave reviews and such.

I'd like to remind everyone that the current RSS feed works fine in iTunes right now, though.

Willeth on
    edited September 2008
    LewieP on
    edited September 2008
    LewieP on
    edited October 2008
    It's been a while since we posted, but episode 9/8 is out now.

Yeah, that's nine-eighths. We go the extra mile.

One of these days it'll be out on a Friday like I say...

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Is there ever going to be any more of these? :)

Zilla360 on
    edited March 2009
    Definately at some point. Not too long in the future. We have some great new ideas too.

LewieP on
    edited March 2009
    May, I think.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Thread title doesn't agree.

Lave II on
    edited March 2009
    Psht. What does he know.

Willeth on