As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want a fancy pants 24 inch monitor

LemmingLemming Registered User regular
I'd like to spend as little as possible without sacrificing quality, and I don't really need any special things on it (more connections, usb hubs, etc). I was looking around Newegg and found this, and I found this on Dell. Does anybody have any other suggestions, or can tell me if either of these is a good deal, or if there are any discounts I can get anywhere? Thanks a bunch.

Lemming on

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would personally go with the G2400WD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014173&Tpk=g2400wd it doesn't have much in the way of bells and whistles, but its pretty much the best looking and performing TN panel you can get.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would personally go with the G2400WD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014173&Tpk=g2400wd it doesn't have much in the way of bells and whistles, but its pretty much the best looking and performing TN panel you can get.

yep thats the monitor i have.

very good, only problem is the adjustment buttons are on the bottom... not really a problem.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks a bunch guys, guess I'll go with that one :O

24 inch monitors are so pretty <3

Lemming on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    not sacrificing quality?

you'll have to find a non-TN panel then, and expect to pay upwards of $500 for it

Dell 2408WFP for example

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Dell 2408WFP is £420 ($860ish) here.

Pish, there goes that dream.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doesn't Dell just buy their panels from Samsung and only manufacture the plastic casing? Or have they stopped doing that? edit: IIRC they also manufacture the backlight.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The 2408WFP is also crap (uneven backlighting, extreme input lag, horrible color banding, right and left sides of screen tinted different colors)

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    not sacrificing quality?

you'll have to find a non-TN panel then, and expect to pay upwards of $500 for it

Dell 2408WFP for example

Well, I mostly meant that I didn't want to buy something that would break in the first few days. I'm not really willing to spend over 500 on this

Lemming on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a Gateway FHD2400 that I am very happy with. It is a TN panel but it's a pretty good one as far as they go. The calibration tool that Gateway ships is actually very good (shocking I know). Probably some of the best color calibration I've seen without some kind of external color monitor. As far as buying a monitor with Gateway on the front, that's not really of concern. If you've done any research you'll learn that the end manufacturer isn't the most important component in image quality. It's really about who makes the panel itself, which for this monitor is Samsung. You probably feel better about buying a Samsung monitor than a Gateway one, so just trick yourself into thinking that way if it bothers you.

If you have a use for many inputs (DVI-D, VGA, HDMI, Component, Composite, S-Video) than this is definitely the monitor for you. You could hook up anything from the NES to the PS3 to this thing, oh yeah...and your computer. It has 1:1 pixel mapping on all inputs so you're covered for any obsolete or "legacy" 4:3 media. In addition it will PiP any of the inputs onto another input. If you happen to be PiP'ing something over Windows, you can actually drag and move the window around like it was playing off your computer. The monitor calibration software hooks directly into the monitors controls over DVI (and probably VGA, haven't tried). I really didn't think I was going to use them when I bought it but being able to have a PS2, PS3 (I have the 40gig hence the redundancy) Xbox 360, and PC all hooked up simultaneously is kind of nice.

Had mine for nearly 6 months now and no degradation in quality. Before I bought the monitor I read a few scattered reports of the backlight bleed growing worse over time but I haven't noticed any change. This isn't the best of the best but it is a great bang for your buck considering all the input options.

There is apparently a newer model (FHD2401), and I'm sure it's only better and probably the same price I paid 6 months ago *shakes fist at progress*.

edit:

Also, no monitor selection thread is complete without the link to Hard[OCP]'s Display forum: http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Go there. Read EVERYTHING.

Learn much you will.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lemming wrote: »
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    not sacrificing quality?

Dell 2408WFP for example

Well, I mostly meant that I didn't want to buy something that would break in the first few days. I'm not really willing to spend over 500 on this

get the benq 24 inch, its the best TN panel you can get.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just got three of the Dell 2408FPW. To be honest, I got them for all of the inputs and features, and will be using them for a triple-head gaming rig setup. I think I'm going to go back to my Apple 23 (or get a 30) for doing Photoshop or anything that requires decent/accurate color.

Tripstowin.jpg

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just got three of the Dell 2408FPW. To be honest, I got them for all of the inputs and features, and will be using them for a triple-head gaming rig setup. I think I'm going to go back to my Apple 23 (or get a 30) for doing Photoshop or anything that requires decent/accurate color.

Tripstowin.jpg

Ooooh pretty.

I bet it eats through processing power at native res though...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A Sony FW900, 'nuff said.

More details here.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bloodr wrote: »

More details here.

Shipping Weight: 107.8 pounds

Mother of god. That is not so much a computer monitor as a small moon.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    bloodr wrote: »

More details here.

Shipping Weight: 107.8 pounds

Mother of god. That is not so much a computer monitor as a small moon.

I guess that's the downside, it weighs more than one of the Olsen twins. But it's worth it if you are unwilling to make any comprises on picture and color quality that LCDs force you into. Plus they are pretty cheap.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to bring this with me to a college dorm, so I don't really feel like buying something that could double as a baby crushing device :P

Lemming on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm bringing my 24" LCD to college as well. How do you guys suggest safe transfer?

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Honestly? The original box it came in.

Yea, I know, I stopped keeping boxes a while back and when I scratched my 22" in transit, I could only sigh.

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, what if I don't have the original box? >_<

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I generally just wrap mine in a soft blanket to protect against scratches and set it down face up, just make sure theres nothing around to fall on it

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hit up a fedex or ups store if there's one near you and let them package it if you're real concerned.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My suggestion: LG Flatron 245WP (does not display 16:9 from Xbox correctly or something) or 246WP (displays 16:9 for PS3 and Xbox 360 correctly). [They are computer monitors, but they have HDMI and Component inputs. But, they cannot display 480p at the correct aspect ratio.)

P-MVA panel... fuckin awesome. Low input lag (no problems here), good response time for an LCD...

The above that I mentioned are discontinued, so you'll have to look online and such.

Any of the newer LG Flatron 24 inchers that you may find in stores are likely to be TN panels, unless they are those exact models that I specified.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hit up a fedex or ups store if there's one near you and let them package it if you're real concerned.

This is excellent advice.

I'm looking at buying another 24". Then I'm going to hunt down something really big to put between the 24" displays, which will then get mounted in portrait mode.

I'm totally copying a setup I saw somewhere online.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm bringing my 24" LCD to college as well. How do you guys suggest safe transfer?

http://www.geargrip.com/details_gglcdb.php?UID=1288984991489b2cfc96dc0

I use one of these for LAN transportation, works great.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have had this 24" since November and I couldn't be happier. It performs as well as many monitors $50 more expensive (and more). The only thing I can't speak to is color accuracy. I've never tried to use it for Photoshop or anything, but as a gaming monitor I couldn't ask for anything better.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cabezone wrote: »

http://www.geargrip.com/details_gglcdb.php?UID=1288984991489b2cfc96dc0

I use one of these for LAN transportation, works great.

This is excellent advice.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hitting up a packing store is a good cheap solution. You can get that foam that molds and a box and just keep reusing it.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    Pham NuwenPham Nuwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Tripstowin.jpg

What's your video card situation for this? I'd really like a three way monitor setup for games too, but from what I understand, you can't.

I'm really after a 5760x1200 resolution in-game, but the best I can find is the Matrox TripleHead2Go at 5040x1050, and that's using three standard 4:3 ratio screens.

Everything I've read suggests that driver support just isn't there for 3*1920x1200 in games, but for desktops it works fine.

If you actually get this working (or already have it working), I'd love to hear more!

PS: That's the same monitor I have as well.

Pham Nuwen on