As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday headed to the PSP [E3 TRAILER!]

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh...

I'm actually going to buy this, aren't I...after that whole rant...

I'll rationalize it by mumbling something about encouraging them to make another game (or at least re-release the other two on PSN here in the states) by purchasing this.

God.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dusda wrote: »
    Ugh...

I'll rationalize it by mumbling something about encouraging them to make another game (or at least re-release the other two on PSN here in the states) by purchasing this.

God.

It's ok. The pain never really goes away, but in time, you'll learn to cope. Because that is all we can do.

Houn on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys, you want to hear a joke?
    Square Enix also revealed a celebrity voice cast for The 3rd Birthday, including Yvonne Strahovski of NBC's Chuck as the voice of Aya Brea. "I was immediately interested when Square Enix approached me with the opportunity to play Aya Brea in The 3rd Birthday. I love Aya – she's strong, driven and ready to take on the world," said Yvonne Strahovski.

The punchline is "and then she read the script." :(

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh that's tragic.

That poor woman.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    Ugh...

God.

It's ok. The pain never really goes away, but in time, you'll learn to cope. Because that is all we can do.
    It's the marketing materials that did it for me. Like, whoever made that wedding invitation gets what Parasite Eve is about. I would pre-order that piece of paper.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm totally imaging Yvonne Strahovski as Aya Brea in a live action PE1 Movie now. I mean, movie adaptation would probably suck, but still.

Houn on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's official. Feminism is dead.

Although, anybody remember way back in the PS1 days when Madonna was supposedly all over starring in a PE movie?

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    ImpAtomImpAtom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh...

God.

I would strongly recommend you don't. Encouraging them to make another game based on the ending of this game will only lead to more pain and suffering.

Seriously, this is the first game I've played where I just wanted to snap the freaking UMD in half at the end.

ImpAtom on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    But is the game actually fun?

Looking at this game, I want to buy it because I lack psp games and it looks fun.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ImpAtomImpAtom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    But is the game actually fun?

Looking at this game, I want to buy it because I lack psp games and it looks fun.

Hmm. I can't say that I didn't have fun with some of the gameplay, but it not as much as they seemed to be expecting. It's a fairly short and shallow game and despite being obviously designed for replays, it doesn't really hold up well to being replayed.

It's basically a long series of strung-together setpieces. Pretty much every area you encounter has some kind of wacky gimmick. Some are fun and some are flat-out not. (There's an early sequence where you have to run away from an invincible enemy who kills you in one hit which is basically the anti-fun due to the camera angles.) After the shine of the constant newness as worn off, it basically becomes grindy and dull.

The Overdive mechanic is kind of neat, but ends up being really basic. Character customization is mostly based around random-activation skills that you have to grind up by constantly rerolling your DNA. (Think trying to get the best spells on a demon in a Shin Megami Tensai game.) The weapon customization is pretty meh and the game lacks of the overall weird variety of Parasite Eve 2.

It's reasonably fun for a playthrough, but considering how short a playthrough is, I don't think that is worth buying.

ImpAtom on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Quick PE2 Question because I can't find a game script online and don't have access to my PE2 discs at the moment.

Kyle is the SWAT Agent who sets the bomb in the Akropolis Tower for the mysterious evil corporation, right? Or the game at least heavily implies that it's him? Trying to find any information on this is difficult as most descriptions don't seem to mention him at all until Dryfield.

As a side note, trying to find any reference to this has caused me to realize that one of the reasons I hate shippers is because of how annoying all the Aya+Kyle crap was back when I used to hang out on gaming boards about this game (though this was also the same time I watched X-Files, Buffy, etc. and the amount of shipping on those boards certainly contributed as well).

Lars on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's the same Kyle from PE2, and he's marrying Aya at the start of PE3.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    English trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsPwfAzbVqg

Eh, decent. The gameplay really does seem fun though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "You're better off not knowing. The truth will only hurt you."

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That would be the thread title if I could.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fun gameplay or not, knowing the plot details that I know I don't think I could ever give this game a shot. It's just so very wrong.

I mean I was suspicious years ago (possibly in this very thread?) when the few details we had didn't seem much like a PE story but was willing to give it a shot because the two PE games were some of my favorite games from the PS1 era (and together, they were probably replayed more than any game except SotN). But then those ending spoilers came out and...just no.

Lars on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The worst part of the whole thing is that I'm fairly sure the writer is using 3rd Birthday as some sort of weird container for masturbation material. I mean, there's quite a few sexual fetishes in play here. Spoilers.
    Innocent underaged girl. Check.
    Stuck in an adult woman's body (so it's okay to drool after her). Check.
    Tentacle monsters. Check.

Maybe I'm completely off base here, but the 3rd Birthday gives me the creeps.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rereading the thread caused me to remember that I had asked if Kyle was the SWAT Agent at the beginning of PE2. I'll have to remember to pop in the game and get the answer to that tonight now that I have my PS1 discs again.

Lars on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So IGN's review of the PSP game is up:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/115/1157383p1.html

They seem to like it. Sadly I don't have a PSP anymore to try it out, either way, but food for thought?

Magus` on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have it reserved and am buying it despite the bullshit storyline.

edit: And that review sounds very promising. Basically, it's another solid title from Square in the midst of a veritable flurry of new PSP games from them.

I only wish they had been putting out titles this frequently during the early years of the system's life, so it might have seen more success.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Same here. The game looks fun, and I'm curious what(if anything) Square USA's talented localization team can do to salvage the train wreck.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The bullshit storyline is pretty much preventing me from ever being able to give it a chance. Which is a shame because I really enjoyed the first two games.

Lars on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Both Gamespot and GamesRadar think that while the game is decent enough, the terrible way that Aya's character has been manhandled detracts far too much from the enjoyment you might get playing it. I'd be inclined to agree with them considering how much I enjoyed the original PE; that's not something a fan would easily overlook regardless of how fun the gameplay might be.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am with Lars, Gamespot, and GamesRadar.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, I'm gonna be that guy and bite the bullet.

If nothing else, I'm curious to see how well Square's localization team can salvage a train wreck.

Also, time has not been kind to PE2.

PE1's still just fine.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They won't, cj. That is how they will salvage the train wreck. You can't salvage a train wreck. That's sort of what makes it a train wreck.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, maybe they can make it ... uh. I don't know.

I'm obligated.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No, you're not.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    But I really love 1 & 2. :(

Well, 1 anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That does not make you obligated. Buy it if you want, but don't act like you have no choice. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I could just skip the cutscenes and make up my own plot in between shooting stuff.

It'd probably turn out better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As you may know, I'm a pretty big Square apologist (FFXIII does not have a bad story, imo, it's just badly told; if a pop-star vampire is what it takes to continue FFVII's story, I say go for it), but like other people, reading that spoiler pretty much killed my interest in this game.

The "twist" in the game probably ranks up there with "Chrono Trigger cast is murdered in Chrono Cross" (only even worse, because they can always undo that plot point when/if they make a sequel. Time travel is awesome like that).

It's a seriously bullshit thing they came up with, and it'll probably never be undone either, if sales are any indication.

In TV Tropes, this is what "character derailment" would point to, effectively replacing Other M as the current reference. I'm honestly disgusted, and this is coming from the guy who gave :^: to the exploding jeans and tentacle monsters.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, just what is this apocalyptic spoiler that completely ruins the game forever and ever? I know of one big spoiler that I saw months and months ago.
    That Aya apparently dies at the end.

Is that it? She dies at the end, so everybody is disgusted and going lolsquare and all that? Because I don't know, that sounds pretty pathetic if people are bitching about that. I mean I guess it sucks, but I'm finding it hard to care. Maybe if the manner of death was truly pathetic, like after defeating the grand evil of the world, she got punked out by a drunk driver.

Please tell me it's something else. Like she got hit with the prissy chick stick, and doesn't go 5 minutes without lamenting that she's single. Then at least I can see it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, just what is this apocalyptic spoiler that completely ruins the game forever and ever? I know of one big spoiler that I saw months and months ago.

Is that it? She dies at the end, so everybody is disgusted and going lolsquare and all that? Because I don't know, that sounds pretty pathetic if people are bitching about that. I mean I guess it sucks, but I'm finding it hard to care. Maybe if the manner of death was truly pathetic, like after defeating the grand evil of the world, she got punked out by a drunk driver.

Please tell me it's something else. Like she got hit with the prissy chick stick, and doesn't go 5 minutes without lamenting that she's single. Then at least I can see it.

It's worse than that.
    The Aya you're controlling, the one in all the ads? It's not her, it's Eve (her reincarnated sister or something...I didn't play PE2), who mindjacked Aya's body.

The real Aya only shows up at the end as a final boss you have to mercy kill. And...that's it. She's not even saved, and Eve sticks around in her body.

Can't smile about this one.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It IS worse. She dies at the beginning. But you don't discover that until the end. The whole time you're playing as Aya's sister in Aya's body. Her sister is a little kid, untrained in combat of course. So that's why she freaks out the entire game. You play the whole game as a child in a woman's body. A woman who is supposedly 40 but looks 20. And has her clothes torn off most of the game. It's pretty much a pervert's wet dream.

Renzo on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm.

Having a very limited understanding of the whole Parasite Eve plot, I can't say I truly understand the big picture, but at least that makes a hell of a lot more sense and I kinda get it now.

Thanks. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Renzo wrote: »

It IS worse. She dies at the beginning. But you don't discover that until the end. The whole time you're playing as Aya's sister in Aya's body. Her sister is a little kid, untrained in combat of course. So that's why she freaks out the entire game. You play the whole game as a child in a woman's body. A woman who is supposedly 40 but looks 20. And has her clothes torn off most of the game. It's pretty much a pervert's wet dream.

No, but see...
    I would've been okay with Aya being a meek 20 year old with child-like amnesia and torn clothes, because deep down it's still her.

The game fucking lies to you from the start, and HAS been lying to you since the very first ad.

You could argue it's an effective twist because you fell for it, but by the end of MGS2, Snake was still around and playing an important role in the game. It's not like Raiden hijacked his zombiefied body and put a bullet in his brain (and it COULD have gone that route, I'm sure of it).

It is, by complete definition, a character assassination.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm.

Having a very limited understanding of the whole Parasite Eve plot, I can't say I truly understand the big picture, but at least that makes a hell of a lot more sense and I kinda get it now.

Thanks. :)

Just imagine that scenario with a character you really like and haven't seen in several years. Like, say, Samus Aran or Gordon Freeman.

Then you might get the hatred.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

No, but see...
    I would've been okay with Aya being a meek 20 year old with child-like amnesia and torn clothes, because deep down it's still her.

The game fucking lies to you from the start, and HAS been lying to you since the very first ad.

You could argue it's an effective twist because you fell for it, but by the end of MGS2, Snake was still around and playing an important role in the game. It's not like Raiden hijacked his zombiefied body and put a bullet in his brain (and it COULD have gone that route, I'm sure of it).

I think we're saying the same thing.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

No, but see...

I think we're saying the same thing.

Well, you mentioned how
    she looked too young to be 40 and had her clothes torn along with child-like amnesia.

I would still be okay with all that if it was still Aya.

Or, AT THE VERY LEAST, don't fucking KILL her in the end.

Lord, this guy should not be allowed to write after this. And he's penning Final Fantasy XIII-2 as we speak. :(