As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If this doesn't bother you, you're a heartless wretch

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    getting upset about anything is pointless, really

it's much better to get beer

(brb)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    if this doesn't bother you, it's probably because it isn't "real" at all to you

it's just a thing

it's very real

it's also completely out of my control, and my sphere of influence. What good, to anyone, does me getting upset and worked up over it do?

what positive outcome can I influence?

nothing

Not a single thing I do can help the situation.

This is like getting pissed off over genital mutilation in Africa, or women's rights in the middle-east.

Ain't a God-damn thing I can do about it.

Some would argue that this is the mentality that allows these things to continue.

These people are fucking dumb.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm privately outraged by this.

Which means that I basically say "That really sucks a lot" to myself and then go finish cleaning my room.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So you shut it out, purposefully don't care

you make it not "real" to you

Skull Man on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Skull Man, you're starting to sound like Suave.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

There's nothing purposeful about it.

That is my natural reaction to news of this nature.

sarukun on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

No, what I do is accept the fact you can't stop people from hurting others.

I, myself, can not stop other humans, halfway around the world, or even halfway around my own country, from being the terrible little animals that we all are.

This shit has happened from the start of time, it happens now, and it will happen in the future. It's terrible, but inevitable. If we want to live in freedom, we have to accept that it means people are allowed to behave as such in private.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's the duty of people who aren't terrible animals to corral those who are

I'm not saying you should personally do anything about it--hell, that'd be a lot to expect

but I am saying that taking a cavalier attitude towards this kind of sickening behavior is exactly the kind of apathy that lets it go on as long as it does

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    r
    I'm not saying you should personally do anything about it--hell, that'd be a lot to expect

but I am saying that taking a cavalier attitude towards this kind of sickening behavior is exactly the kind of apathy that lets it go on as long as it does

no, it's allowed to go on because there's no preventative measure we can take that wouldn't violate constitutional freedoms.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    El DudarinoEl Dudarino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    it's people like the mom who should be removed from the gene pool. painfully.

El Dudarino on
    lebowski11.jpg
  • Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The level of outrage necessary to do what you're asking is entirely unrealistic and unsustainable by any well-adjusted person. If people felt the level of anger and sadness you're talking about with every horrific event they heard about, they would be perpetually miserable and unable to function in society.

I, for one, am losing no sleep over this article or the innumerable ones like it.

Spoony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I consider myself well adjusted, but i wouldn't mind beating the life out of the people who do this kind of stuff.

El Dudarino on
    lebowski11.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Spoony wrote: »

The level of outrage necessary to do what you're asking is entirely unrealistic and unsustainable by any well-adjusted person. If people felt the level of anger and sadness you're talking about with every horrific event they heard about, they would be perpetually miserable and unable to function in society.

I, for one, am losing no sleep over this article or the innumerable ones like it.

so because there's too much to be upset about, don't get upset over anything

Skull Man on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Air wrote: »
    why is this here

this is a dumb place of bad jokes

bringing this shit along is like when a sitcom tries to awkwardly deal with some serious issue
    and you are watching all 'fuck what the hell i want jokes you dicks'

also its pretty long
    i read the start and sounds bad but ill leave it open for tomoro
    20080602tb3.jpg

?

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I essentially agree with Skull Man here

I understand where you're all coming from, but that's just a coping mechanism for some genuinely horrible crap that goes on in the world

I agree with Skull Man though. It's not overt, but that attitude does permeate a culture and it does lead to people deciding not to get involved because it would be too much trouble and we convince ourselves that we couldn't really change anything anyway. I'm not saying that we're directly responsible for shit like this, and there are obviously different circumstances such as the dude on the bus that beheaded his fellow passenger. Although it would have been awesome if someone had been able to intervene and save his life, that's an awful lot to expect from the general populace. On the other hand, bullies that physically and mentally abuse and take advantage of those unable to defend themselves (and I'm not just talking about playground bullies but violent thugs that say sell women into sexual slavery) rely on the people around them turning a blind eye and not getting involved.

Keep in mind, I have these same tendencies so I'm not preaching from up on some soapbox or judging any of you. I'm just expressing that it's bullshit to claim we can't have a positive impact if we take action.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    I essentially agree with Skull Man here

I understand where you're all coming from, but that's just a coping mechanism for some genuinely horrible crap that goes on in the world

I agree with Skull Man though. It's not overt, but that attitude does permeate a culture and it does lead to people deciding not to get involved because it would be too much trouble and we convince ourselves that we couldn't really change anything anyway. I'm not saying that we're directly responsible for shit like this, and there are obviously different circumstances such as the dude on the bus that beheaded his fellow passenger. Although it would have been awesome if someone had been able to intervene and save his life, that's an awful lot to expect from the general populace. On the other hand, bullies that physically and mentally abuse and take advantage of those unable to defend themselves (and I'm not just talking about playground bullies but violent thugs that say sell women into sexual slavery) rely on the people around them turning a blind eye and not getting involved.

Keep in mind, I have these same tendencies so I'm not preaching from up on some soapbox or judging any of you. I'm just expressing that it's bullshit to claim we can't have a positive impact if we take action.

right, like taking people that do horrible shit like that and cracking their skulls open with a crowbar. that's the kind of action that needs to be taken.

El Dudarino on
    lebowski11.jpg
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So apparently we're all at extreme ends of the spectrum.

If I see someone who needs help, I'll help them. I'm not going to fly down to Florida looking for abused children though. If a situation arose that someone was in mortal danger I would do my best to intervene in whatever way I could. Fuck, I've done that before. But at the same time while this story is tragic I cannot help but read it and feel apathetic because shit happens like that everyday and it doesn't get reported and I can't do shit about it. So while I might feel some fleeting sympathy for the girl, maybe say a prayer, that's the extent. It's not going to keep me up all night.

The Terry Schiavo case is a perfect example of people going overboard about a tragic situation. Now imagine if that same frenzy was repeated with every terrible event that goes on in this country or yet world everyday. So it's not a coping mechanism, it's reality.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    that's just treating symptoms

the cause of the disease is the apathy that lets people know they can get away with it

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Skull Man does your daily schedule involve cruising the city listening to a police scanner and saving orphans from burning buildings without end? Because by your logic you are suffering from the terrible disease of apathy as well. YOU ARE THE SOLE REASON PEOPLE ARE DYING WORLDWIDE WITH YOUR APATHETIC ATTITUDE

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you're making the mistake that it can only be one of two extremes

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Air wrote: »
    why is this here

this is a dumb place of bad jokes

bringing this shit along is like when a sitcom tries to awkwardly deal with some serious issue
    and you are watching all 'fuck what the hell i want jokes you dicks'

also its pretty long
    i read the start and sounds bad but ill leave it open for tomoro
    20080602tb3.jpg

?

funniest CAD ever.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No I advocated the middle road, you're making the mistake of being a complete idiot.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Skull Man does your daily schedule involve cruising the city listening to a police scanner and saving orphans from burning buildings without end? Because by your logic you are suffering from the terrible disease of apathy as well. YOU ARE THE SOLE REASON PEOPLE ARE DYING WORLDWIDE WITH YOUR APATHETIC ATTITUDE
    funny, because that's not what he said at all

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the cause of the disease is the apathy that lets people know they can get away with it

So unless Skull Man is actively doing something to prevent child abuse, his lack of action lets people know they can get away with it. CLEARLY.

I'm saying it's retarded to get involved in every little thing especially those you can't control. And that is not apathy. I'm certainly going to help someone if I come across them in my travels, but I'm not going to go out searching for wrongs to right. And that is not apathy either. That's the middle of the road between not caring one shit and sobbing maudlin over here.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So unless Skull Man is actively doing something to prevent child abuse, his lack of action lets people know they can get away with it. CLEARLY.

I'm saying it's retarded to get involved in every little thing especially those you can't control. And that is not apathy. I'm certainly going to help someone if I come across them in my travels, but I'm not going to go out searching for wrongs to right. And that is not apathy either. That's the middle of the road between not caring one shit and sobbing maudlin over here.
    still not what he's saying but nice try

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

still not what he's saying but nice try

you two have fun living in that magical fun land outside reality

or idealize how great things were back in the 50s or something

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    god Otaku, is it fun arguing against a position that no one has taken? You keep charging those windmills lad!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    god Otaku, is it fun arguing against a position that no one has taken? You keep charging those windmills lad!

you're just mad because you know the fifties weren't like that at all.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I waved to some hashers yesterday and thought of Druhim.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

i saw a special on the history channel about how cavemen hunted the mammoth and thought about druhim too.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

hatchet.jpg

?????

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    awesome! how did you know they were hashers?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    awesome! how did you know they were hashers?

I was wondering why there was a large group of folks in short shorts and tank tops drinking in the parking lot, then noticed some of them were wearing "Beware: Hashers" shirts.

I think they were the Jhavelina chapter or kennel that's here in Tucson.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    cool beans

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    so if this girl is feral then she is just basically an animal i guess

so why do we even care what happens to her? she'll never know

put her in a cage and sell tickets

But now she's smiling and laughing and eating ham and it's all totally worth the effort!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I keep thinking we're talking about hat-makers, only that's haberdashers.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

He claimed that people who weren't affected by this were purposely shutting it out and making it not "real" to them and it was this attitude qualified them as apathetic. Furthermore it is this apathetic attitude of people that allows such horrible things to happen as the perps know no one will do anything about it. Which is on the extreme end of the spectrum in my opinion, but since he hasn't offered any sort of middle ground I'm wondering if he operates in accordance with ideas he claims the rest of us who are supposedly shutting this out do not uphold. And chances are since that because he does not, he is amongst the same crowd he is accusing whether he likes it or not.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    what is a hasher
    i wonder this my myself

though apparently it has nothing to do with hash

Hakunin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    pointing out that our apathy makes it easier for such people to take advantage of others doesn't preclude recognizing that same apathy to some degree in ourselves

I don't see what's so unreasonable about this Otaku

if anyone's taking an extreme polar stance, it seems to be you

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg