As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] i13 Live - Unemployment no longer at 100%

• PbPb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Great, now I have to find a way to call Superman a government lackey at least three times in the guide. Wonderful.

Pb on
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If available I would very much like a low-down on what the next issue is bringing. Custom missions? :O

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Probably Shields as a melee set (Defensive, not offensive). More power proliferation, the ability to respec to a different patron for Villains, and I think thats about all we know.

They haven't started the official promo cycle yet, and Back Alley Brawler has said that I13 might not hit before the Winter Event, which is scheduled for Dec 15 according to the official calendar they put out.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    at some point in the futre, i13 maybe, they'll be introducing a system where you can create custom missions.

most likely, the missions will likely play out like the radio/newspaper missions, with being able to choose enemy types, name the bosses and glowy items and hostages, write a description, etc.

at least, that'd be the smart way to do it. that way, they won't unbalance the game, since there'd be no practical difference in doing custom missions and just grinding newspapers/radios.

Pony on
    edited August 2008
    I can't wait to fight Freaks 20-50 Villainside. I honestly would!

Pb on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They've hinted I13 will be a HUGE update. So, it might as well have Custom Missions, Shields, Power Proliferation and possibly new zones.

I'm also thinking at least one Co-Op TF with Rularuu, Shivans and whatever.

aunsoph on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i know everyone is going to do it

but i don't care

i want to make a BS/Shield scrapper so fucking bad

Pony on
    edited August 2008
    I can't wait to see a Shield character use Shadow Maul or 1000 Cuts. I'm sure that won't look ridiculous. Actually, a ton of DB is going to look silly.

Well, more silly.

Pb on
  • RagRag Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Or a shield character using any of the plethora of two handed attacks tankers have.

Or really any attack.

Shields are stupid.

Rag on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    oh my god black scorpion is the worst patron

the WORST

fucking

FUCK

Ledneh on
    edited August 2008
    Ah, the new Energy Transfer! I forgot about that one. I'd love to see a KO Blow with the shield arm.
    Ledneh wrote: »

the WORST

fucking

FUCK

I'm pretty sure any one of us could have told you that. The only time I'd suggest it is for some MMs and Doms. If you mean mission-wise, though, Mako definitely has that beat. PSYCHIC FONTS ANYONE?

Pb on
    edited August 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    Ah, the new Energy Transfer! I forgot about that one. I'd love to see a KO Blow with the shield arm.
    Ledneh wrote: »

the WORST

fucking

FUCK

I'm pretty sure any one of us could have told you that. The only time I'd suggest it is for some MMs and Doms. If you mean mission-wise, though, Mako definitely has that beat. PSYCHIC FONTS ANYONE?

Talking about mission and dialogue quality, yeah. See, I thought the fucking predatory shark was gonna be like black scorpion turned out to be, all RARGH HULK SMASH NOOOO MY SUIT

only with less suit and more bile

I was almost ready to forgive him when I saw the Nemesis Mole Machines, then fuck me I saw how much health they have

Definitely taking Scirocco or Ghost Widow if I ever get another 40+ (not likely). But this time I think I'll spoil myself a little to make sure I'm getting something good.

Is the final shared arc that I'm just starting at least interesting/fun?

Ledneh on
  • RagRag Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Scirocco's arc isn't much better, to be honest. Lots of arachnos, lots of Mu, and Serafina.

Rag on
    edited August 2008
    Nothing wrong with Mu (if you're /Ea or /Elec!). Serafina is never good, though. Also, at the very least Scirocco isn't a total douchebag. When I do his arc he at least presents himself as a man who has his shit together. Ghost Widow is also pretty competent, while Mako and Black Scorpion should probably be in hockey helmets.

Pb on
    edited August 2008
    Oh god Scirocco's loaded on mu? Fuck that, my WP failboats hard against masses of Mu.

Thanks for the warning, hopefully whatever character I get to 40 next will be ready for whatever's presented

Ledneh on
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright... how often do they do the double XP weekends? I'm dying over here leveling in the thirties. Yes, I know the forties will only be worse.

Raggaholic on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't wait to see a Shield character use Shadow Maul or 1000 Cuts. I'm sure that won't look ridiculous. Actually, a ton of DB is going to look silly.

Well, more silly.

Haven't they said that DB and Shields will be mutually exclusive?

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    at some point in the futre, i13 maybe, they'll be introducing a system where you can create custom missions.

most likely, the missions will likely play out like the radio/newspaper missions, with being able to choose enemy types, name the bosses and glowy items and hostages, write a description, etc.

at least, that'd be the smart way to do it. that way, they won't unbalance the game, since there'd be no practical difference in doing custom missions and just grinding newspapers/radios.

Pooooooony

"At San Diego Comic-Con I was given a peek at what Issue #13 ... In it heroes or villains will discover the ability to create user-generated missions to further extend the life of one of today's most popular MMOs."
    source

Edit: Also yeah DB/shields cannot be teamed up. In fact that's one of the (many) hurdles they've had with shields. There are no primary/secondary combinations that are mutually exclusive. They've had to redo the chargen process a bit to take this into account.

Narbus on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Alright... how often do they do the double XP weekends? I'm dying over here leveling in the thirties. Yes, I know the forties will only be worse.

They just had one not long ago. It will be a while before another one.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • JackanapesJackanapes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Maybe they will add a new body-type with 4 arms to support it?

Coming soon in I14: Triple Sword Set!

Jackanapes on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadow Maul will look silly in it's current form with shields. Hopefully they'll change the animation on it. It can get out real quick and it's a waste of time with other more efficient attacks available.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The next Double XP weekend is January 23rd to be precise.

EDIT: Also Black Scorpion has the best mission in the entire game are you drunk?

Narbus on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was enjoying dragging fake nems and their crews up to the signature villains in the mole mission.

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2008
    Okay so yeah

that very last arc "Time after Time" was fuckawesome

Ledneh on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone missed me? I'm still trying to get fully moved into my new apt. No (real) internet access til this Saturday.

Regina Fong on
    edited August 2008
    I don't know about Black Scorpion being the worst patron.

I like the idea of an AoE Immobilize and -Fly for Corruptors.

aunsoph on
    edited August 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »
    I don't know about Black Scorpion being the worst patron.

I like the idea of an AoE Immobilize and -Fly for Corruptors.

Argh no, I mean in terms of mission content and dialogue

There was nothing about them to make them feel even remotely unique or interesting until I got to the nemesis and portal corp missions, and even then he failed hard by making each mole machine slash portal have like a gazillion HP

Ledneh on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Well, more silly.

Yep. No Katana/Shield either.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do we even know if we are getting an offensive Shield set or not?

I'm not excited unless I get to hit someone with the shield but I never see them make mention of an offensive shield set.

Accualt on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    While I find the idea of offensive shields amusing in the "hit baddie over head with pan" sense, I don't really see it working. Just how many ways can you bonk someone over the head with a shield in?

Glal on
  • Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    About the same number of ways you can hit someone with mace or an axe, I'd guess.

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    While I find the idea of offensive shields amusing in the "hit baddie over head with pan" sense, I don't really see it working. Just how many ways can you bonk someone over the head with a shield in?
    You'd have to ask Captain America for an exact number. That's been his thing for years.

see317 on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If there is an offensive shield set, the power names need to be reminiscent of campy Adam West style Batman sound effects.

*Bonk!* *Pow!* *Fapp!* *WANK!*

Kay2 on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey guys, whats the fastest way to get from 9 to 20? I'm already leveling so slowwww...

Inx on
  • ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Join teams or do story arcs.

Arcas on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    any specific arcs or areas that'll be particularly good?

Inx on
    edited August 2008
    Wheeee, duoed AV-level Recluse with me as an SS/WP brute and my Sonic/Sonic Corruptor buddy

That was a hoot, especially the last 20% OH GOD LIKE FIVE MILLION EXECUTIONERS

Ledneh on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone have any thoughts on Triage Beacon? It'll be on my Ar/Traps Corr who will mostly duo with my brothers Fire/Dark Corr.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited August 2008
    I'd say it's skippable. You'll need three Healing enhancements plus two or three Recharge Reduction enhancements, and maybe Hasten to have it up permanently.

But here's the thing. Despite lasting for 90 seconds, you're only going to fight Heroes, Arch-Villains and Giant Monsters for that long. Otherwise, you're dropping that once every what? Three fights?

On your own Corruptor, you'll be regenerating an extra 13 or so health per second. That sounds great, until you realize that against the targets that matter, your extra Regeneration will be completely overwhelmed in a hit, or they won't be able to harm you at all due to force multipliers.

The radius IS pretty good, and I can see how several people with Triage Beacons down might get huge lvls of constant Regeneration going.

Now let's compare it to the puny AoE heals of Thermal Radiation and Radiation Emission.

Fully slotted, they'll heal around 230 health per use in a smaller radius. You can use it once every seven seconds or so if you have Recharge Reductions in it, or once every ten seconds if you don't. (I'm factoring animation time in this.) That's 32 health per second or 23 health per second respectively. It can be used every fight, several times per fight if need be and it's a mobile, being centered around you and not a stationary object. Not to mention, it counters spikes MUCH better.

Now, since you're Traps, you obviously don't have access to Warmth or Radiant Aura. But the point is, it pales in comparison to even the two weakest AoE heals in the game. So really, don't bother picking it up unless you REALLY have power picks and slots to spare.

aunsoph on
    edited August 2008
    I just spent five minutes beating the hell out of a radio

This game is weird

Ledneh on
This discussion has been closed.