As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] i13 Live - Unemployment no longer at 100%

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey guys. I'm looking to start playing again. The highest character I've had in this game was 30, so I never saw the endgame stuff. But what kind of things are there to do at 50?

Is the PVP fun?

More costume options open up?

Can I just fly around and blow up city blocks of bad guys in one feel swoop?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There's really not much to do at 50 except roll an alt, or farm money for said alt. It's not all bad though, the 40-50 content is quality, and with a group it's not hard to get a fresh character up to the 30 range within a couple of weeks of casual play.

tl;dr: this ain't WoW, there's no endgame content. Not that I consider WoW's endgame to be content, but that's subjective.

Glal on
    edited August 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    There's really not much to do at 50 except roll an alt, or farm money for said alt. It's not all bad though, the 40-50 content is quality, and with a group it's not hard to get a fresh character up to the 30 range within a couple of weeks of casual play.

tl;dr: this ain't WoW, there's no endgame content. Not that I consider WoW's endgame to be content, but that's subjective.

Really? Boo.

So the point of creating an alt to get to 50 again is to go ahead and create another alt to 50? That's dissapointing if there is no endgame -- I would thought the PVP thing between Heroes and villains would be nice.

ahh well.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited August 2008
    You can PVP at any time past level 25. If your masochistic side is hungry for a faction grind, good news! You can grind for costume pieces!

Glal on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Building up your characters with IOs and such at 50 is really the only kind of "end-game" I've ever seen in CoX. You can make yourself pretty insanely strong, but for most ATs, the strength is still nowhere near what it was back in the days of I3. You can just come kind of close.

It's still no excuse for the complete lack of high-level content that's been promised us off and on for the past four years.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aumni wrote:
    So the point of creating an alt to get to 50 again is to go ahead and create another alt to 50? That's dissapointing if there is no endgame -- I would thought the PVP thing between Heroes and villains would be nice.

The PvP at 50 is fun, but its not everybody's cup of tea. Most PvPers at that level are pretty tricked out on superior IO sets and very expensive rare IO sets. So coming in as a run of the mill 50 can be somewhat challenging. Not to mention, the PvP mechanics are different than what you might be used to in other MMO's, especially when it comes to combat positioning and movement using various travel power options.

That being said there's certainly a fair degree of lower level PvP as well, in fact Siren's Call in the 30's is usually a fairly busy PvP hotspot, at least on Virtue anyhow.

As far as endgame goes, there's a number of task forces at for level 50's, two different raid types (mothership and the hamidon), badge hunting/accolade collecting, various kinds of PvP, and plenty of monster grade critters that require teams to hunt down. I suppose it depends on how you define "endgame" content.
    Glal wrote:
    You can PVP at any time past level 25. If your masochistic side is hungry for a faction grind, good news! You can grind for costume pieces!

Technically there are the temp powers you can gain in PvP zones as well (ie. Shivan shards and warburg nukes). In theory at least these are supposed to be for folks who can survive not getting killed by other players looking to steal what you've gained (or for particularly ruthless players who steal them from other players), but alot of the PvP community on virtue is fairly laid back and way too polite to actively harass people whose only reason for visiting the zone is to get the temp powers.

Operative21 on
    edited August 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    It's still no excuse for the complete lack of high-level content that's been promised us off and on for the past four years.
    Honestly, I'd prefer they (keep) improving the 1-49 experience with fresh content, rather than add level 50 stuff. If Blizzard refocused its instance and endgame content focus on adding more midgame areas and quests I'd be playing WoW rather than CoX.

Plus, I suspect the situation with endgame is much like it was/is with PVP. By this point, most of those that really want it have moved on, and implementing it will just be wasting time and effort on content the remaining playerbase is largely uninterested in. You won't get a huge influx of new players into a 4 year-old game just because it suddenly has endgame.

Glal on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

Really? Boo.

ahh well.
    Well, getting a character to 50 does unlock 2 new archetypes as well. Heroside you get access to the two breeds of Kheldian and Villianside you get access to Fortunatas and Soldiers of Arachnos.

But yeah, CoX is more about the game getting to 50, rather then what you do once you get there as opposed to WoW where the game doesn't really start until you hit 30-40.

see317 on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    CoX is more like a traditional video game, it is about the journey not the destination. Plus, besides just the gameplay of playing as a different class or power combination, you can't really do everything in one play through. I mean technically you could just flashback mission almost everything as your level fifty but I find it more fun to make a new character to do missions I didn't do the first time through. You'll repeat some things but not everything.

Accualt on
  • JackanapesJackanapes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The current endgame content for me is fine as is. Im a casual player at best, and Ive no interest whatsoever in 'raiding', or anything that requires me to give up my freetime on a scheduled basis. Logging on over the weekend and running a few AV-hunting missions, doing a TF, impressing people with my IO'd out /SR scrapper... thats where its at!

As far as Im concerned, with power proliferation, the ONLY thing that needs to be done at this point is to kick Jay in his well-clad butt and get him to start putting more costumes into the game. Every Issue should be a bonanza of new costumes.

Also, I want the moonbase they talked about. Oh, and sweet motorbike travel powers. :nods:

Jackanapes on
    edited August 2008
    They're too busy giving away costume pieces at events a fraction of the player population will attend to give them to everyone.
    :(

Glal on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, those ARE old collector edition costume pieces at least.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited August 2008
    You sure? I've never seen anyone wearing Paragon Police Hard Suit pieces.

Glal on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I believe those are a halloween costume, not regular costume.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited August 2008
    Oh, they're just the powers, not pieces. Oh well, don't give a toss then.

Even though I did spend the entire Halloween walking around as one.

Okay, maybe I give a little bit of a toss.

Glal on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rocket boots look 20 times better with a hardsuit on.

Gear Girl on
  • JackanapesJackanapes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    At least CoX is working the old pre-order stuff into the game as Vet rewards. Cant wait to get me some pre-order helmets! Now Jay just needs to give me a proper blindfold so I cant make blind archers. Or give Kheldians the sash. How long must we wait, Jay? Let our sashes go!

Jackanapes on
    edited August 2008
    Since when has a barbwire blindfold not been proper?

Accualt on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just prefer the face with the sewn-shut eyes for blind characters. It's DARKER and MORE EDGY, y'know?

Kay2 on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Narbus wrote: »
    well see. without hasten, i would only get to scream directly into the brains of everyone around me every 3.1 seconds, instead of every 2.6. Also none of those other things i mentioned as perma would be perma.

So basically i have enough global recharge to warp space time.
    Time to get out the nerf bat. You're clearly having too much fun.
    Honestly, I'd prefer they (keep) improving the 1-49 experience with fresh content, rather than add level 50 stuff. If Blizzard refocused its instance and endgame content focus on adding more midgame areas and quests I'd be playing WoW rather than CoX.
    I'm of the same opinion. I'd rather have something different for my alts to play through than having them spend a ton of time designing 5-hour long raids for powergamers that may or may not pay out in terms of drops, especially since that kind of grinding seems to miss the point of this game.

That being said, "a leg up" would be a great feature to have. Sometimes I would like to start with the first 10 levels done... so I don't gotta go through the same bullshit with Galaxy/Atlas/Kings over and over and over again. I don't care if it's fast to power through the first 10 levels. It's still wasted time.

Also, is it just me or have they pulled a lot of missions out of Perez Park and Boomtown? If they don't want to use those zones, revamp them. Faultline was remade nicely, and I hope they will get a tram stop.

One big complaint I have about the game is that everything seems so big... which makes zones like IP and Hollows so dead. e.g... Everyone shops at Talos for a reason. They could have gotten the point across with a lot of the zones with half of the "dead" space.

GungHo on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've wanted the blindfold wrap without chains or barbwire ever since... I started playing in I7.

Oh, and also, TIGHTS SLEEK GLOVES AND BOOTS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
    It's a sensitive issue for me. :oops:

aunsoph on
    edited August 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »

Oh my.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited August 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »

Oh my.

I'm with you there.
    One of the things that excites me about CO is, from what I understand, you can choose the surface texture and bump mapping for every item. So we can finally have the sleek chest piece match the sleek mask.

Accualt on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jackanapes wrote: »
    At least CoX is working the old pre-order stuff into the game as Vet rewards. Cant wait to get me some pre-order helmets! Now Jay just needs to give me a proper blindfold so I cant make blind archers. Or give Kheldians the sash. How long must we wait, Jay? Let our sashes go!

I've already got a blindfolded blind archer...though maybe she does have chains. I gave her a magic eternally-burning chains thing to sort of explain her /Fire secondary.

Scooter on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I went with the Ray Charles "watcher" glasses for my Arch/MM blind guy. And a suit. And a flattop.

GungHo on
    edited August 2008
    Snare, you need this.

Unless, of course, you need the European client. (I'm in the UK, I play on US servers.) Just go to the plaync account page, log in, click your CoX trial, and 'download client'.

Kay2 on
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay. I decided to give the trial a chance, just because I never got around to trying this game. Everything downloaded fine, launched fine, and I even managed to make a villian just fine. Finally I go to actually start the game... and it crashes about an 1/8 of the way through load. I try again. I created a hero. I reinstalled. Redownloaded new drivers. Every time, same problem. I searched but couldn't find any hint of that problem, but I did find on a site that I could put in -console at the end, and thought that might help.

newbitmapimagetb3.png

This is what happens each time it crashes. Should I take this to the tech forum, or does anyone know what I can do about this?

Mandalorian Rooster on
    edited August 2008
    I would probably take it to the CoX tech forum, yes.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    Snare, you need this.

Unless, of course, you need the European client. (I'm in the UK, I play on US servers.) Just go to the plaync account page, log in, click your CoX trial, and 'download client'.

Thanks Kay, sorry for doing some shitty post in the wrong thread, was just properly pissed off.

I've done all that, it's weird, it finishes downloading, then installs, I run it to get corrupt graphics, so I quit, re load the CohUpdater (because it tells me to) then it just tries re-downloading and installing?!

It's like it doesn't know I've installed it... any ideas?

Anyway, i found the actual disks for £8.50 on Amazon so fingers crossed that will help... just being impatient waiting now!

Snare on
    edited August 2008
    Corrupt graphics? What sort of graphics card? (I forget what the Main Two Brands are, but the one with Radeons in there doesn't work so well.)

Kay2 on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I believe it's a GeForce 6800 ? something like that... sorry Im at work now...
    My laptop has a Radeon but I haven't tried installing there yet.
    I may need new graphics card drivers or something, I think the issue is more why once i've installed it it asks to install again!!

Snare on
    edited August 2008
    Stick with the g-force. A 6800 should run it okay, if a little jerkily. But yeah, try drivers. That should help.

Kay2 on
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If it tries to redownload the game, try cutting and pasting the updater to the desktop and run it from there.

Lep on
    edited August 2008
    Where can I find a write up of the classes as they are now? I might up for a fun romp with a CC or DPS character.

Aumni on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aumni wrote:
    Where can I find a write up of the classes as they are now? I might up for a fun romp with a CC or DPS character.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Archetypes

Operative21 on
    edited August 2008
    Thanks

Aumni on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey.

If any of you guys are going to PaX, and happen to snag an extra code...

INNS would really love you if you could get him one of the PPD hardsuit codes/passes/things.

(Can I say that here?)

INeedNoSalt on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey.

INNS would really love you if you could get him one of the PPD hardsuit codes/passes/things.

(Can I say that here?)
    You might have better luck in the PAX forum, seeing as how there are more people there that are going and don't play CoX then there are people in this thread.

see317 on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey.

(Can I say that here?)

:?: I'm intrigued.

edit: OH MY DO WANT!

I'm now really bummed at not being able to go. I was only slightly bummed before.

Tach on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For record, it's not costume pieces, but a disguise power like during the holloween event.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.