As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games Thread

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd probably be down for Arkham Horror, if somebody's bringing it.

Also chess, rawr!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Weeellllllll lookie what I found, my Monopoly: Classic Star Wars edition.

I think I found something awesome to bring.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    rubicsrubics Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »
    Mordheim
    If I can detect enough interest on the forums, I'll bring everything needed for 3-4 people to play, including myself: terrain for the table, models for people to use, dice, the rules, etc. I have a dwarf warband, a pirates warband, enough figures for a few human warbands, an orc and goblin warband, a skaven warband, and lots of miscellaneous figures.
    Anyone interested?

I'm definitely interested.
    chibidani wrote: »
    I'm gonna bring Munchkin, and hope some people are willing to play it with me. I swear its better the more people there are, and since in normal playing I never can get more than 4 people, I want to make it big! If anyone has Munchkin expansions and wants to bring them, that would be super cool!

Munchkin's great. :) I'd like to reserve a seat in at least one of the games. My buddy's got 3 of the expansions: unnatural axe, star munchkin, and munchkin fu. I'll see if I can borrow them in the event that he isn't going himself.

Also, I'd be happy to play Puerto Rico or Catan.

rubics on
    Pearl Code: 0903 0254 5784
  • Options
    DhakustDhakust Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I'd love to get involved in some Munchkin gaming action as well. I'm planning on bringing my Munchkin Cthulu set. I'm also gonna be bringing some D&D4e stuff and a couple decks of Magic cards, maybe someone would be interested in these as well.

I'm not a big fan of Monopoly myself, but if anyone needs someone to act as a banker I'm your man. I love counting money and I love addition and subtraction... seriously, I'm a math guy.

Dhakust on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dhakust wrote: »
    I love counting money and I love addition and subtraction... seriously, I'm a math guy.

Either that or a robot in disguise (I'm leaning towards robot in disguise, because seriously who likes MATH)

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    DhakustDhakust Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Well, they don't call me The Irish Robot for nothing :)

Dhakust on
  • Options
    LusLus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Any fellow PAXers who play Magic EDH Format? It seems to be growing in popularity. If you do play what generals do you use and which is your favourite? Oh and more importantly will you be bringing your deck to PAX :)

I've got a Korlash deck and Rosheen meanderer.

(For those who don't know what this is you can read up on it here http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~geduggan/EDH_rules.html )

Lus on
  • Options
    majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For anyone running Paranoia, I would recommend using http://paranoia.polyatomic.org/ to generate random characters ahead of time. Whenever I run it, I always just give out premade characters. Makes it so players don't feel as bad when they're offed.

Also, Iron Kingdoms, depending on when, you can color me interested.

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Will there be any World of Darkness/WW shenanigans going down? I prefer old, but new school works too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In the next few days I'm going to get the names of the people who've expressed interest in Mordheim across the various threads and put together a tentative suggestion for dates/times to play. I'd like to get as many games in as possible with the busy schedule, and maybe even take a stab at a coherent campaign across the weekend. All told I think there are around 6 people now, a few with their own models, which is definitely enough to do a campaign.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I can get one more person, I can viably start plotting the Iron Kingdoms. The Friday event will probably sometime in the afternoon/early evening as I'm going to be attending a tournament around 7. After that, things should be pretty much open to run.

For those of you wondering what I'm prattling on about, Here's a quick primer which you may gauge your interests with. :winky:

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Matev wrote: »
    If I can get one more person, I can viably start plotting the Iron Kingdoms. The Friday event will probably sometime in the afternoon/early evening as I'm going to be attending a tournament around 7. After that, things should be pretty much open to run.

For those of you wondering what I'm prattling on about, Here's a quick primer which you may gauge your interests with. :winky:

Friday afternoon would work pretty perfectly for me, with the exception of the PA Q&A... Gah, too many things to do, must start making priorities and cutting my losses.

Oh, and I found some of the books online and placed an order. Slim chance I'll get them before PAX (2-4 week turnaround :-(), but if i do I'll have them with me.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just need the Monsternomicons to complete my set. ^^

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm pretty sure those are the only books still in print. The second one is, at least, not sure about the first. What I really want to get my hands on is Liber Mechanika, but my source for the core books (borders.com... who knew?) doesn't have it.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The books still in print are MN2, and the 5 fingers book.

The only ones I need are 5 fingers and the WFT. I really wish I would have bought the WFT when I saw it for $25 at a gaming store.

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In the next few days I'm going to get the names of the people who've expressed interest in Mordheim across the various threads and put together a tentative suggestion for dates/times to play. I'd like to get as many games in as possible with the busy schedule, and maybe even take a stab at a coherent campaign across the weekend. All told I think there are around 6 people now, a few with their own models, which is definitely enough to do a campaign.

As long as you don't have a problem with me using dark elves, put me on the list, make a schedule. I'll make time to participate. I'm also bringing a friend along, so he might be interested in playing.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

As long as you don't have a problem with me using dark elves, put me on the list, make a schedule. I'll make time to participate. I'm also bringing a friend along, so he might be interested in playing.

Can you point me toward the warband list for dark elves? As long as there are rules for them, I don't mind. If there aren't any rules you might have to use the high elf shadow warrior rules just for gameplay purposes.

Arco on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'm pretty sure those are the only books still in print. The second one is, at least, not sure about the first. What I really want to get my hands on is Liber Mechanika, but my source for the core books (borders.com... who knew?) doesn't have it.

Shoot, the Liber Mechanika, I knew I was forgetting one.... D:

Yah, WFT is pretty brutal, I've never been able to run it to completion though, no one stays interested long enough....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    WinyderWinyder Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can you point me toward the warband list for dark elves? As long as there are rules for them, I don't mind. If there aren't any rules you might have to use the high elf shadow warrior rules just for gameplay purposes.

Last copy of the the Dark Elf warband rules I know of was in Town Cryer Issue 12 ( Product Code 6024 1199 006 )

I used to play them myself, but never bothered to paint the models since we only ended up playing occasionally, and never a full campaign. I actually still have my copy of the Town Cryer, tho I'm not sure where the models wandered off to.

Winyder on
  • Options
    61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is anybody bringing or interested in playing Federation Commander? I have Academy and Graduation (which basically amounts to Klingon Border) if any one who doesn't have the stuff is interested.

For those who don't know but might know what Star Fleet Battles is, this is basically a streamlined version that is either a bit faster (Squadron Scale) or a lot faster (Fleet Scale) to play. All the cool kids are playing it...well...I guess that depends on your definition of cool.

If you're completely confused go to http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/

61Ranchero on
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Winyder wrote: »

Last copy of the the Dark Elf warband rules I know of was in Town Cryer Issue 12 ( Product Code 6024 1199 006 )

I used to play them myself, but never bothered to paint the models since we only ended up playing occasionally, and never a full campaign. I actually still have my copy of the Town Cryer, tho I'm not sure where the models wandered off to.

I remember them being hidden in the Lustria rules

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    rythos42rythos42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I see random references to Twilight Imperium scattered throughout the forums, but the most recent one is locked! So I bring it up again...

I'd LOVE to play a game of TI with folks for this weekend. If there's someone with a board, bring it and lets find some folks to play! I've played it a bunch, know the rules pretty well, but have always played on a friends board so I don't own my own. If you'd like to set up a time to meet, write me here or PM me or something and we can rule the galaxy as fath--ahhh, maybe we'll just crush each other instead :D.

rythos42 on
  • Options
    PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    rythos42 wrote: »
    I see random references to Twilight Imperium scattered throughout the forums, but the most recent one is locked! So I bring it up again...

I'd LOVE to play a game of TI with folks for this weekend. If there's someone with a board, bring it and lets find some folks to play! I've played it a bunch, know the rules pretty well, but have always played on a friends board so I don't own my own. If you'd like to set up a time to meet, write me here or PM me or something and we can rule the galaxy as fath--ahhh, maybe we'll just crush each other instead :D.

So there is one small catch, we are planning a Starcraft tournament, but in the event that it doesn't work out, we'll run TI instead. There will be copies of TI for use in freeplay as well.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Thing2Thing2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I'm heading to PAX and I've been reading up on some of the experiences tabletop gamers have had....as such...I wanna give it a shot come PAX Time.

Any recommendations on which game I should start with? Perhaps one that is the most fun and doesn't require a 50 page manual :winky:

Thing2 on
  • Options
    GodmeatGodmeat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thing2 wrote: »
    So I'm heading to PAX and I've been reading up on some of the experiences tabletop gamers have had....as such...I wanna give it a shot come PAX Time.

Any recommendations on which game I should start with? Perhaps one that is the most fun and doesn't require a 50 page manual :winky:

Tabletop roleplaying, or tabletop wargaming?

In either case, a 50 page manual would be getting off light. :P

Godmeat on
  • Options
    MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i always spend a good amount of time in the board game area. If you see a game or group of people that look like fun, Just ask them if you can join in or play the next game with them.

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Totally depends on what you like to play. If you want to kill zombies, Zombies!!! is a great beginner level game. If you want to play a simple card game there is Fluxx, for good European style games Settlers of Catan is a fairly good spot to start. If you are looking at miniature gaming or roleplaying, you could try both D&D and D&D minis as they are pretty straightforward for those types of games. There will be hundreds of games to choose from, and we have a very knowledgeable staff to help you pick a game. There will also be some folks hanging out willing to teach games most of the weekend.

However, the best way to learn to play and have fun is to find a group to jump in with and just play. Most folks will happily teach you the ropes of the games they are playing.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Thing2Thing2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Misterioso wrote: »
    i always spend a good amount of time in the board game area. If you see a game or group of people that look like fun, Just ask them if you can join in or play the next game with them.

^ That sounds like a good idea - I need people whom aren't going to get frustrated with someone who needs a bit of instruction. Also - I had no idea there would be trainers available.

Can you tell me which hall they'll be in?

Also - hahahaha - 50 pages is getting off LIGHT?!?!? K - whichever game that is...I don't wanna play ;)

Thing2 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

^ That sounds like a good idea - I need people whom aren't going to get frustrated with someone who needs a bit of instruction. Also - I had no idea there would be trainers available.

Can you tell me which hall they'll be in?

Also - hahahaha - 50 pages is getting off LIGHT?!?!? K - whichever game that is...I don't wanna play ;)

Everyone TT will be in the Pike Street Annex (PSA) and the trainers will be hanging out at the HQ on the second floor, or out teaching games and running demos.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    my first year at pax, i saw a boardgame available for checkout (betrayal at house on the hill) that I had always wanted to play but never did and didn't know how. I grabbed it, sat down at a table and just held up the box top. in about 10 minutes I had a full table and even a couple of them that knew the rules. it was great.

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Options
    GodmeatGodmeat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Learning with friends is always quicker, but like D&D? Two core rule books, 300+ pages each. White Wolf? 250+ page core book, plus another 300+ for whatever setting you want to play.

Obviously you don't need to memorize every page to learn to play, but most games are horribly complex beasts.

Godmeat on
  • Options
    rythos42rythos42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PucSpifo wrote: »
    So there is one small catch, we are planning a Starcraft tournament, but in the event that it doesn't work out, we'll run TI instead. There will be copies of TI for use in freeplay as well.

I would LOVE to play in a TI tournament. How do I find out if such a thing is happening? I do see it on the schedule (Starcraft/TI).

Having said that...I just want to play, so whatever works out :).

rythos42 on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    my first year at pax, i saw a boardgame available for checkout (betrayal at house on the hill) that I had always wanted to play but never did and didn't know how. I grabbed it, sat down at a table and just held up the box top. in about 10 minutes I had a full table and even a couple of them that knew the rules. it was great.

Oh man, that is such a great game. I hope they have it again, that was so much fun.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Are tabletop games and card games the same thing? Because I have a card game called Bang! that's a lot of fun that I could bring.

Arco on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a card game called Animayhem which I've never completely figured out. It was a crossover from five or six different animes, including DBZ, El Hazard, Bubblegum Crisis, Tenchi Muyo, and Ranma 1/2. I've kept the cards just for collectibility.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ah, I remember Animeyhem! I think I tossed all my cards on the last move.

I had gotten a whole unopened box of booster packs for five bucks once. It was before I even knew what most of the shows were, but I thought they were neat... until I had to bring them around with me on a move. They were gone. =( =(

Oh, in other news... would anyone play the old West End Games' Star Wars RPG with me? (The D6 version?) I want to know... I'll bring the books if enough people want to.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    rythos42 wrote: »
    PucSpifo wrote: »

I would LOVE to play in a TI tournament. How do I find out if such a thing is happening? I do see it on the schedule (Starcraft/TI).

Having said that...I just want to play, so whatever works out :).

We will be running a Starcraft tournament assuming we get enough interested players and enough copies to play with. If we don't have enough players or copies of Starcraft, we will run the TI tournament instead (again assuming there is enough interest and copies of TI available)

Also, any game that is played on a table is fair game, so yes card games count here.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So, PAX ends at 6:00pm on Sunday and I've heard that the tabletop area is following the same hours.

Is there any interest in taking the tabletop gaming someplace else and continuing the fun? We might be able to crash a hotel lobby or something. Anywhere with tables, right?

I'm going to have precious little free time during the expo thanks to all the awesome stuff going on, and I'd really like to just spend some time kicked back nerding out with some tabletop stuff and comfy chairs or something. Anybody else interested?

Arco on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'd probably be down for that.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Anybody else interested in continuing the tabletop fun after the expo proper closes on Sunday? If this gets some momentum we could make it more organized.

Arco on
This discussion has been closed.