As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reset Generation

chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm not good with these game topics, so i'll just throw out the general information real quick so anyone who may have missed this can check it out. If there are enough people that enjoy the game maybe we can get some PA rooms set up for some multiplayer mayhem! To friend me add: chesspieceface

Reset Generation

What's up with this game?

Game Preview

Reset Generation is Nokia's flagship title for the newly released NGage 2.0. It is available on both NGage supported mobile devices as well as FREE on the PC through a web-based java appelet (link above).

The game is a 2d retro love fest for everything gaming, designed around simple turn based strategy. Each turn involves 3 phases: 1 - Dropping your blocks, which allows you access to the game board as well as positioning to defeat your foes and steal their princess. 2 - Movement/Combat, The meat of each turn wherein you pick up power ups, attack other players, or make a move to abscond with their princess. and 3 - Cannon Fire, The final phase acts as sort of a clean up. Players are able to fire 2 cannon shots at spots on the map to attempt to remove other players tiles or destroy pesky power-ups which could benifit another player.

The simplistic mechanics take on multiple layers of strategy when you add in a large cast of characters based on well known gaming archetypes each with their own special moves as well as a cache of random power-ups which drop around the game board guaranteeing things never get too dull.

With a strong soundtrack created by chiptune band 8-bit weapon the retro nostalgia is pushed to the maximum and is already garnering some pretty good reviews: Pocketgamer 10-10

Community

Along with linked PC and Mobile gameplay, Reset Generation also offers community features designed to keep players coming back including friends lists, Rankings, and special belts and awards (ala Achievements) to signify special accomplishments. If this wasn't enough they have also released all the gaming assets to the public so that people can create their own games to be included in the Reset Arcade. The first game included in the arcade is a simple title named "Own 'Em!" by Zero Punctuation star Yahtzee Croshaw.

WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
Willie Tanner Livestream
chesspieceface on

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Your browser is not supported. Please use IE6 or later. Word!"

Word? "Fail."

Frem on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ahh an amusing arcade style game, which isn't on XBLA, an outrage! Although, they have given it away for free play on their website, so I shall spare them my wrath briefly

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait.. Hang on..

What the fuck.. There really is an N-Gage 2?! WHAT?!?!

I thought this was a fucking joke everyone was making! Why would they make another one!!?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nokia must really hate money

That's the only reason I can come up with for why there would ever be talk of a second N-Gage.
    This game looks very mildly interesting, if a bit misguided in its lampooning of other franchises.

But it's certainly not worth another go around with the infamous side-talker D:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Unless things have changed N-Gage is just the platform name now, so these games will run on a wide variety of mobile phones.

Rook on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Unless things have changed N-Gage is just the platform name now, so these games will technically run on a wide variety of mobile phones, but man, who will bother? A DS is cheap as chips and actually has some good games for it, and wo'nt give you claw ache like playing games on a phone will.

ben0207 on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    At first I thought this sounded stupid, but it's actually a decent game and it's funny how it parodies well known game characters and concepts.

Peewi on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Unless things have changed N-Gage is just the platform name now, so these games will run on a wide variety of mobile phones.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Unless things have changed N-Gage is just the platform name now, so these games will run on a wide variety of platforms totally inferior to the DS for gaming, because they're smaller and less comfortable to use.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    not everyone has or wants a DS. everyone has a phone.

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    Unless things have changed N-Gage is just the platform name now, so these games will run on a wide variety of platforms totally inferior to the DS for gaming, because they're smaller and less comfortable to use.

According to the N-Gage website, it apparently only works on 5 different phones currently. Not really a wide variety.

Peewi on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Everyone has a microwave too. That doesn't make it worth gaming on.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't know what it's like in the US but in Europe you wouldn't believe how many ads there are for totally useless shit for mobiles that you pay for. Every teenager also has a phone.

Jutranjo on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What, shit like pop song / novelty ringtones, joke services, horoscopes, outrageously expensive SMS matchmaking, terrible animated wallpapers, and a million different bejeweled clones? Because we have all that shit too. And just about every teen has a phone here too.

What surprises and saddens me is that other than the fact that it's targeting mobile phones and therefore sure to be obnoxious to play, the game looks alright.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited August 2008
    spoilered for beat'd
    Jutranjo wrote: »

I don't know what it's like in the US but in Europe you wouldn't believe how many ads there are for totally useless shit for mobiles that you pay for. Every teenager also has a phone.

Oh trust me, we have ads for useless shit.

TEXT "JOKE" TO 12345 TO GET THE JOKE OF THE DAY
    [tiny]$1.95 initial fee, $0.95 per text message, automatically renews, we own your soul[/tiny]

And every [strike]slack-jawed brain-dead slacker[/strike] teenager has a phone here as well.
    At ~$130 a DS is generally cheaper than a phone (that could play these games), and as pointed out re: microwave, it doesn't make it a good game system. Show me a phone with a D-Pad & buttons that is even remotely as good as the DS Lite and I'll vociferously consume a rooster of my own ownership.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't have a phone, nor do I want one.

Djiem on
    edited August 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

Yes, but you're in Quebec. You'd have to import one from France. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2008

congratulations on being a luddite.

Tube on
    edited August 2008

I'm not a luddite. I just don't need a phone, as almost nobody does. Nobody ever used a cellphone to say something worth saying to anyone worth talking. All they're used for is small-talk in public transit and sell drugs.

Djiem on
    edited August 2008

I'm not a luddite. I just don't need a phone, as almost nobody does. Nobody ever used a cellphone to say something worth saying to anyone worth talking. All they're used for is small-talk in public transit and sell drugs.

Congratulations on being a luddite hermit.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    At ~$130 a DS is generally cheaper than a phone, and as pointed out re: microwave, it doesn't make it a good game system. Show me a phone with a D-Pad & buttons that is even remotely as good as the DS Lite and I'll vociferously consume a rooster of my own ownership.

What? Phones these days are dirt cheap, you can buy them as cheap as 10€ D:

Impersonator on
    edited August 2008
    At ~$130 a DS is generally cheaper than a phone, and as pointed out re: microwave, it doesn't make it a good game system. Show me a phone with a D-Pad & buttons that is even remotely as good as the DS Lite and I'll vociferously consume a rooster of my own ownership.

"is generally cheaper than a phone that will run these games."
    Edit: also arguments below re: shitty screen, button layout, contracts, carrier lock-in.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2008

But do they have a screen the size and resolution of a DS, and buttons layered in a way that it looks like a controller?

Djiem on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

with a two-year plan at $30 per month and a $3000 early cancellation fee...

Daedalus on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

Unknown to many people, but Nintendo held a beta test on all GE microwaves for Super Mario Galaxy.

All the feedback determined that the game should go back into the oven.

FyreWulff on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

The cheapest phone I owned was 11$.

It's also a Tracphone that basically supports just calling and texting.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

with a two-year plan at $30 per month and a $3000 early cancellation fee...

Err, no, just no, at least over here

And of course 10$ don't support that many games but for instance, my SE W200i, which I think now costs about 60€ can run pretty much every java 2d or 3d game. I even have an e-book reader and a little music making program on it :P

Impersonator on
    edited August 2008

you don't get out a whole lot do you

Tube on
    edited August 2008

And of course 10$ don't support that many games but for instance, my SE W200i, which I think now costs about 60€ can run pretty much every java 2d or 3d game. I even have an e-book reader and a little music making program on it :P

Prepaids don't count.

I'd wager that it's still way off the supported specs, and the input method is still total shit.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2008

you don't get out a whole lot do you

Yeah, and I know some people. That doesn't make cellphones any more needed.

Djiem on
    edited August 2008
    Just because you don't need something, doesn't mean nobody does.

Tube on
    edited August 2008

Prepaids don't count.

I'd wager that it's still way off the supported specs, and the input method is still total shit.

What do you mean input method? Are you comparing a cellphone with a portable console or what?

Impersonator on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd argue a mobile phone is somewhat more potentially useful than a DS.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited August 2008
    Just because you don't need something, doesn't mean nobody does.

This is true. However, it counters the point that everyone has a phone. There are still people out there without one, even those who are far from luddites and got other pieces of technology. I simply don't think that "Everyone has a phone" is a valid reason to put out games on them, because there are MANY different phones, and a whole lot of them could never play games.

Djiem on
    edited August 2008
    What do you mean input method? Are you comparing a cellphone with a portable console or what?
    [strike]This is a thread talking about a game being released exclusively for mobile phones. Of course I am.[/strike]
    My stupidity notwithstanding, mobile phones still suck for games, and if you want to play it on the go I don't imagine many people will cart around a laptop with a WWAN connection.
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    I'd argue a mobile phone is somewhat more potentially useful than a DS.
    Well, yes - you can't call for a cab/tow truck with your DS if your car breaks down.
    You also can't call for a cab/tow truck if the battery on your phone is dead because you've been using it as a game console/GPS/PDA/electric razor/personal adult entertainment device.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The anti-mobile phone sentiment on this forum never fails to surprise me. It's unthinkable to be without one these days.
    This is a thread talking about a game being released exclusively for mobile phones. Of course I am.
    Exclusively for phones and for free on t'internet.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited August 2008
    This is a thread talking about a game being released exclusively for mobile phones. Of course I am.

Did you miss the part where you can play if in your web browser?

Peewi on
    edited August 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It's unthinkable to be without one these days.

Why?

Djiem on
    edited August 2008
    Something stupid goes here
    :o

My stupidity notwithstanding, mobile phones still suck for games, and if you want to play it on the go I don't imagine many people will cart around a laptop with a WWAN connection.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2008
    right, sorry, not literally everyone has a phone. the vast majority of people have a phone. there are still I'm sure hundreds of friendless weirdos who do not.

Tube on