As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to build a residential tower

FozwazerusFozwazerus Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to build a tower.

Part 1: Design and Construction

I want my future house to be a 7 story (stories debateable, but 7 is a great number) tall tower with a circular cross-section. It is to be made from stone - preferably granite for it's amazing physical properties (hardness, low coeff. of thermal expansion) and generally awesome look. Did I say that granite buildings look awesome?

I want the tower to be located in or near a large city. I can't stand living in the middle of nowhere. Yes, a tower sort of screams "HERMIT! UNCLEAN!" but I need to be near people and food and entertainment and not cows. Well actually cows are pretty cool, but I want to cover my property with snazzy looking trees, and cows don't really hang with trees. Picture a tower rising out of a dense copse of trees, so sweet. Also my tower will hopefully dwarf all of the other residential buildings around me, essentially mid-life-crisis-proofing myself for when I get all old. I am 24 now. Also consider that it's a giant phallus. You can't go wrong with giant phalluses (phalli?) - just look at them greeks.

The base outer diameter will be about 40 feet. Is this crazy huge? I can make it smaller I suppose. I really don't know anything about residential buildings. That would leave maybe 35 feet inner diameter (2.5ft thick walls) and a total living space of approximately 950 sq. ft. per floor, or 6650 total. That seems like a huge amount of space. Should I cut it down a bunch? Again, I no nothing about houses.

Granite blocks can be anywhere from $500 - $2000 USD each for 1 cubic meter. I have no idea what the cost of shipping would be. Based on the 35 foot inner diameter, you would need around 35-40 blocks per level. How tall are rooms? I'd say 10 feet. For estimation's sake, 4 levels per floor, including the space between floors. So thats 40 blocks x 4 per floor, then x 7 for 7 floors = 1120 blocks. The cost of blocks alone would be anywhere between 500 grand and 2 mil.

What does it cost for all the inner building materials? What should the floors be made out of, stone also? With a super thick tower, will I need supports inside to hold up the floors, making my tower all stupid looking from within? I'm gonna toss another $500k on there for shits and giggles to bring the total material cost to $3mil, using the high granite cost.

How much will the design alone cost? Are there any architects out there who can give a superswift estimate on what a 7 story tower would cost to design? I am close to getting my PE (professional engineer) license, but I am a mechanical engineer. Unfortunately buildings consisting of more than 2 stories cannot be approved by a mechanical PE in CA; they must be approved by either a structural engineer PE or an architect. You bastards have me by the balls! I'm betting the design will be about $10-20k USD.

What will it cost to build? Cranes, contractors, whatever else is needed? No idea here so I'm throwing $2 mil on there for greedy - I mean awesome and nice - contractors to manage, build, wire, plumbify, etc. my tower.

I'm not sure what state I want to do this in, but I'm living in CA now and it is a mighty fine place to be. Being in CA will likely jack the price by orders of magnitude. I have estimated roughly $5 million USD to complete everything, but being in CA will probably rape it to 6. Notice how I used rape as a verb? Thats what happens when you deal with CA housing.

How long would it take to complete this sort of project? I work mainly in the power industry, wind/geothermal/hydroelectric, and the contractors here get shit done right quick. They have to - taking power plants down for maintenance costs fat stacks daily. Are residential construction contractors slow? They gotta be, considering the time it takes to do anything nowdays.

So my total 6 million dollar estimate is basically based on me making up a price that sounds reasonable. Feel free to correct any of my silly estimates here. Thats what I'm here for!

Part 2: Financing and silliness

How do I finance this by the time I am 35 or so. I'm almost 25, been working for 7 months, put about 25k into my bank account after paying off loans, etc. I haven't done any investing or other smart things at all yet because I do mostly contract work and am out of town (stupid excuse.) Also because I know fuckall what to do with my money. I know there are other good threads for that though.

So if I'm pocketing $40k yearly, is there any way for me to get the funds to do this in 10 years? Can I magically turn my 40k saved/year into several mil in 10 years? Will I need some crazy loans? I hate loans.

Fozwazerus on

• CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    well i say with inflation over the next 10 years your cost will double. Being in CA you will have to make everything earthquake ready which will add to the cost as well. I really think you are looking at closer to the 7-10 million mark for cost today.

CooterTKE on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fozwazerus wrote: »
    So if I'm pocketing $40k yearly, is there any way for me to get the funds to do this in 10 years? Can I magically turn my 40k saved/year into several mil in 10 years? Will I need some crazy loans? I hate loans.

If you are doing well with investing then you might make 10% annually. This would turn your 40k/year into 800,000 in 10 years.

So no.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here I was thinking this was going to be the same guy who was in here saying he wanted to build a castle and money wasn't a problem.

If you figure out a way to turn 40k into several million, please post a new thread with the how :)

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I can't see you turning that kind of profit in that time. At least without taking some incredible risks and/or breaking a few laws.

Which I don't recommend, by the way.

Edit: One thing to be asked, though... does this have to be in California? As you mentioned it'd probably be much cheaper elsewhere.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, you won't be able to afford this. If you win the lotto, you won't be able to clear it with local officials.

In a city, where real-estate is expensive and limited, you end up with stuff like the Ablitt House, which is on a 20x20 plot of land and goes up 4 stories. Of course, each story is its own room due to the size.

So let's assume you somehow get the money and clear all the zoning. You'll have to source the materials locally, because the cost of shipping that much building material is going to dramatically increase the price. After that, hiring any sort of contractor to work with non-standard building materials is going to be exorbitantly expensive. Contractors are familiar with drywall and concrete.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The most feasible way of doing this would be to make them castle themed condos. Who doesn't want to live in a castle? Make it bigger. A big fucking castle and give yourself the penthouse top two floors, and sell all of the lower units.

However, your original bankroll estimates and understanding of construction over all are way off. Something big enough to sell 50 or so condo units + land in an urban area; 50 million easy.

Making that much money? See the Financial-smart-wise thread.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think a tower 7 stories tall made of granite would not stand up very well under its own weight. I think you will probably have to have some sort of super structure to hold it up.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • FozwazerusFozwazerus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Way to poop on my dreams guys, way to poop on my dreams :lol:

7 stories is overkill I suppose, but that's the point. That Ablitt House looks to be a nice height, so perhaps 3-4 stories should suffice. Concrete though, pffft so gross. Also 40 ft thick might be excessive...

Perhaps I can just make it skinnier and have fewer stories. And build it in the desert.

How am I supposed to be a wizard without a proper wizard's tower?

Fozwazerus on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I was thinking you'd probably have a lot easier time with ~4 stories and with cheaper/more accessible building materials.

Hell if you just want something cool why not make a tall, thin 3 story structure with a roof you can get up on and barbecue stuff. (Or cast spells on the populous. Whatever.) If you want to be really awesome do something like putting a spiral staircase up the middle connecting all the floors.

I guess my point is you wouldn't have to make something so ludicrously expensive to have a really cool unique house that looked like a tower.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

With wizarding comes the tower, not the other way around.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Student architect here. Yeah, you're looking at roughly 12~13 mil here. Mainly because the only areas close to cities that have zoning codes allowing something like that (mainly considering the height) are going to premium commercial real estate. Nowadays you'd probably just be building this with a steel frame and having the masonry just connected on the outside (looks the same, but you don't die in an earthquake). So you're not going to have 5 foot thick walls, which is good.

Of course, this is assuming a 40' diameter. To be entirely honest, while this is adequate for a house and placing rooms along the sides, you're going to have some very awkward angles at that scale. There's a reason there aren't many round houses (outside of like a yurt or some shit like that).

Try drawing a floor plan for the first and second floor. Put rooms in there. A central set of stairs, I'm imagining you want spiral stairs like it's a castle or something. That alone isn't impossible. But also remember you're going to want windows, so your idea of a monolithic phallus is going to be pretty much broken. Then try putting furniture in there. Then actually think about how absurd it is to have a tower like this in the middle of modern civilization.

Not to say that having a tower as a house is impossible. Mukesh Ambani did it. But the building is worth roughly $2 billion. Unfortunately, this brings us to the issue of financial feasibility. As everyone here has already said, at what you're making, it's not happening by 35 unless you make roughly 2 mil a year before taxes and invest the vast majority of it.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To give you a somewhat ballpark estimate, a regular house will cost you somewhere between $77-$159 per square foot, based on the most recent Marshall & Swift data. These amounts are for varying qualities of construction (average to excellent) for a one-story concrete block home, and are not adjusted for location. Also, the price of the land is not included; that tends to add anywhere between 25%-50% to the cost.

And of course, those amounts are for a normal house, not for a crazy tower like you're suggesting. I'm not saying your idea is bad, just not likely to be financially feasible for you in the near future. Maybe not even the far future.

Quoth on
  • SlainbylichSlainbylich Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

7 stories is overkill I suppose, but that's the point. That Ablitt House looks to be a nice height, so perhaps 3-4 stories should suffice. Concrete though, pffft so gross. Also 40 ft thick might be excessive...

Perhaps I can just make it skinnier and have fewer stories. And build it in the desert.

I'm no architect, but couldn't you build it in stages and leave room in the design to add more levels as you get the money together? I mean, it'll look ugly as hell until its done, but it might be an option.

Slainbylich on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm no architect, but couldn't you build it in stages and leave room in the design to add more levels as you get the money together? I mean, it'll look ugly as hell until its done, but it might be an option.

then he'd have to demo stuff to build more at a later date and go through permits again etc. etc.

Xaquin on
    edited August 2008
    How about some ideas of penis-waving architecture that are a little bit more practical?

A regular-looking house with a tower/turret/cupola on top?
    A 3-story house with a really pointy roof?
    Combination of 1 and 2?
    A Really big and impressive castle-like front door?
    A house with a huge-ass tree in the front yard? maybe with a cool tree fort thing up there for when you wanna put on your robe and wizard hat?
    A long row of granite steps leading up to your hilltop house?

EDIT: Example: Cupola

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

then he'd have to demo stuff to build more at a later date and go through permits again etc. etc.

What if it's built as a modular design, where the next level is just sort of lowered into place and attached? You don't have to demo things if you don't close it up, or something.

Slainbylich on
    edited August 2008
    Crushed, again and again!

OK, what if I really want it to be granite blocks on the outside? Whatever shit needs to be done inside to support it I'll do.

I like the idea of starting with just 2 stories and adding more later, stopping at 4-5. Also 20-30 ft outer diameter is more reasonable.

And rooms, who needs those? I want floors to be an entire room each. I had originally envisioned something like so:

1st floor - Living room
    2nd floor - Guest rooms x2 + bathroom
    3rd floor - Kitchen
    4th floor - Library
    5th floor - Master Bedroom + bathroom

A full floor master bedroom is required. A full floor library is required. Now I'm realizing that it's silly to devote a floor to the kitchen, so I can stuff that somewhere else. Maybe combine the kitchen and living room? But a huge living room would be too sweet... Man, this is why I'm not an architect or a civil engineer. I build houses like a dungeon keeper. Just make all the rooms equal sized and symmetrical.

I just don't understand how construction for something like this is so much more expensive than a regular house. It's circular. How is a circle so much more complex than a square.

I think I may need to make it non-circular, because it'll just look like a big grain silo...

Fozwazerus on
    edited August 2008
    Cupolas are silly looking to me. Normal houses are also silly and just not pleasing to me at all.

Fozwazerus on
    edited August 2008
    Maybe you could split each floor in half at the staircase? Would make it easier to get away with less stories. So you could have kitchen/dining and living room on one floor, for instance.

I would seriously reconsider making it circular. If you want something roughly circular why not make it hexagonal or something? Would make things so much easier for everyone involved, including you. Circular is just all kinds of trouble.

OremLK on
  • curlybrocurlybro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    curlybro on
    edited August 2008
    curlybro wrote: »

Those look pretty awesome.

Slainbylich on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just don't understand how construction for something like this is so much more expensive than a regular house. It's circular. How is a circle so much more complex than a square.

On paper, sure. Try actually building stuff in 3D using circles, though. Circular staircases mean each step is non-rectangular. Circles also mean everything ends up being a curve, from the walls to the windows.

Compare curves to a triangle.

Still, it sounds like you're too fascinated with the dream, and a dislike of what qualifies as a "house," to take this seriously.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah. It sounds an awful lot like your dream home is impractical to the point of being impossible.

You're talking about a sixty foot tall tower in a residential area of a major city that would require a lot of heavy machinery to assemble, not to mention almost every piece of the house would have to be custom fabricated.

But I'm not here to pile on. You have other options.

Think about a two story hay bale house in the country. Bales are cheap as hell compared to granite, and with good finish work on the stucco it could be made almost indistinguishable from stone.

It would be a lot less.... grandiose than your dream, but it might be a way to come close to realizing it.

For a general idea of what a finished straw bale home can look like:
    NoStaging.jpg

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, first within the city limits, they would never give you a permit to do it. If you do find a way to build in the city, the cost of construction would certainly go up do to ingress and egress problems with machinery, plus all the lawsuits from your neighbors. Now that being said, it's certainly possible, here's how I would probably do it.

First, forget the granite, you'd be better off using concrete and hanging granite facades. Plus you could heavily reinforce the concrete, whereas with granite it wouldn't be realistically possible. They routinely slip pour 50'+ tall concrete grain silos in the midwest, so you could easily find a contractor to design, bid, and build it for you, though it would still cost you a bit I imagine. With buildings this tall, it would certainly need to be engineered, so there's cost in that as well. Personally I would probably just build a frame out of steel and then hang decorative conc. made to look like granite off the sides. You would lose the thermal efficiency of course, but there are plenty of ways to recoup that energy loss with other measures. With the amount of money it would cost you to build how you want right now, you might as well build in the country to save costs and then drop the savings on a light rail system to ferry you into the city.

Edit: As to stairs, might as well just build an elevator, saves floorspace.

Dark_Side on
    edited August 2008
    If not a cupola what about some form of Turret?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Let's pretend for a moment that you have the millions of dollars, the permits, and the laws needed.

1) You are looking at dedicating at least 2 days per week to cleaning your house alone. Or you will have to hire a cleaning service.

2) The property tax alone would crush you.

My idea would be to make a 3 story house. You get the space and it's a lot more sane. On one side, you build the tower with a brick facade (unless you you are a millionare, you are not affording granite), with the key thing here is that the tower is a facade - just filler superstructure behind it, so your rooms stay square.

To give you an idea of how large a 7 story house would be, I can see the 6th story of the old folk's home (which is about 10-11 stories tall) at least 2 miles away, and the thing is surround by 2/3 story houses and 4 story tall trees.

If you have your heart set on a tall building, your best bet would be to work in the real estate business, and buy an apartment building and live on the top floor like it was a penthouse.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2008
    Crushed, again and again!

OK, what if I really want it to be granite blocks on the outside? Whatever shit needs to be done inside to support it I'll do.

I like the idea of starting with just 2 stories and adding more later, stopping at 4-5. Also 20-30 ft outer diameter is more reasonable.

And rooms, who needs those? I want floors to be an entire room each. I had originally envisioned something like so:

1st floor - Living room
    2nd floor - Guest rooms x2 + bathroom
    3rd floor - Kitchen
    4th floor - Library
    5th floor - Master Bedroom + bathroom

A full floor master bedroom is required. A full floor library is required. Now I'm realizing that it's silly to devote a floor to the kitchen, so I can stuff that somewhere else. Maybe combine the kitchen and living room? But a huge living room would be too sweet... Man, this is why I'm not an architect or a civil engineer. I build houses like a dungeon keeper. Just make all the rooms equal sized and symmetrical.

I think I may need to make it non-circular, because it'll just look like a big grain silo...

Keep the living room/dining room/kitchen on the first floor and save yourself MASSIVE headaches. Build the kitchen off to the side and make your tower slightly asymmetrical. It will look better that way anyway.

also, just do a granite facade and save yourself a ton of money (spent both on granite, masons, and excedrin)

edit: I'll tell you what, I'll do a quick schematic for you during lunch of what I think would work best for you.

Xaquin on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Keep the living room/dining room/kitchen on the first floor and save yourself MASSIVE headaches. Build the kitchen off to the side and make your tower slightly asymmetrical. It will look better that way anyway.

I can't even imagine having people over and moving between three floors

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited August 2008

I can't even imagine having people over and moving between three floors

exactly

Xaquin on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What impresses me is that you've saved $25k from a $40k salary in 7 months. How the fuck do you manage this? I admittedly live in an expensive town, but I earn a bit more than that and I would be highly surprised if I managed to save the £ equivalent in 7 or even 12 months. TEACH ME

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited August 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    What impresses me is that you've saved $25k from a $40k salary in 7 months. How the fuck do you manage this? I admittedly live in an expensive town, but I earn a bit more than that and I would be highly surprised if I managed to save the £ equivalent in 7 or even 12 months. TEACH ME

Regarding that, I live with my wife in a one-bedroom apartment in Texas, and we can easily live on $14k a year (could probably cut a couple thousand bucks in groceries and luxuries from that if it were just one of us). All depends on cost of living where you're at--there really isn't much to teach other than the common sense of putting your money in savings instead of blowing it on games and DVDs and eating out.

OremLK on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, you are probably right. Probably time for me to man up and save seriously. Or try for a pay rise. Problem is I recently changed profession back to my major and so it might take a while to work on this

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    curlybro wrote: »

Those look pretty awesome.

What's the downside to homes like that? There's gotta be something major, like heating, noise, or stability.

As to the tower taxes, yeah, me and my boss were riding through a new development area with homes that originally cost 1.5 million. No one bought and they lowered the prices again and again. They're less than 900k right now, but he pointed out to me that even on my salary I could buy the home in the next decade but taxes would put me into serious debt.

Could you buy a small apartment building and demo it to look like a tower? If the structure can support it with few modifications, it would be much cheaper to remodel the insides than to build a stone tower from scratch.

john fechon on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A land use planning perspective on this:

You're highly unlikely to ever get permission to build a seven story single family residence on residential land in an urban or sub-urban area. The zoning simply wouldn't permit it, and your chances of getting a variance or amendment are pretty low, and you potential neighbours are likely to raise hell with their local politicians over a proposal like yours. If you did find land with that height permitted, it would be zoned for multi-family residential, and therefore probably more expensive, and you would probably not be permitted to build a single family residence on it.

You'd have a much better chance of being permitted to do this in a rural area.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited August 2008
    Actually I live in a very expensive tourist town - Monterey, CA. I live with my wife in a 2 bedroom apartment (we so don't need the other room, but it has become the chinchilla / fat cat room.) My rent alone is 1100 a month, not including electric. I took my car off the road when I started work, and I still spend about 1800 monthly for my rent, electricity, food (human and pet), cell phones, etc. That 40k I mentioned is what I think I'll save in a year, not what I make.

So yea, I haven't put as much thought into what the inside would look like. Come on people, 3 flights of stairs ain't nothin!

Is it ridiculous to want a winding staircase going around the inside perimeter all the way up? Or would that eat too much of my space. Alternatively, a winding RAMP would be excellent for my future dachshunds, since they have back issues with climbing objects.

Oh and turrets are awesome. Just give me a giant turret and I'm set.

Fozwazerus on
    edited August 2008
    turrets huh

I'll see about this a little more tonight if I get the chance

In the meanwhile here is a 5 minute schematic.

PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE MY CAD SKILLS FROM THIS!

anywho
    restower1ra0.jpg

edit: spoilered for hugeness

edit again:

25'-0" dia. tower (interior dia. that is.

wall construction is 1/2" Gyp. Board / 2x6 Wd. Studs / 1/2" Ext. Grade Sheathing / 1/2" alloted for scratch coat and mortar setting bed / 1 1/2" Stone Veneer

Xaquin on
    edited August 2008
    So would the ground level have attached additional rooms (the kitchen and living room) but the subsequent 2(?) floors would just be circular?

OremLK on
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    So would the ground level have attached additional rooms (the kitchen and living room) but the subsequent 2(?) floors would just be circular?

exactly.

the spiral stair case would go all the way to the top.

I had envisioned the top being a conical roof with 4 dormers, but he wants a turret.

the rooms sticking out on the ground floor would add some meat to the whole thing making the above stories look more tower like (tower like?). The roofs above the kitchen area and living room would be rather steep 'A' frame and would die directly linto the tower at the third floor level.

Xaquin on
    edited August 2008
    Pretty nifty Xaquin. I could deal with a large ground floor with a hugenormous tower coming out of it. BAHAHA man, why am I envisioning giant twigs 'n berries? Something is definitely wrong with me.

I thrive on symmetry, so I would probably make the ground floor some kind of fancy square. How do you make a square fancy? What you did was pretty cool though. The tower levels would just contain bedrooms I suppose.

So the general consensus here is that 7 stories is definitely out of the question. 3-4 stories is probably the best that's gonna happen. Ah my whole zipline out of the bedroom window to the ground floor idea just got so much less cool. Also, my "entire 2 levels devoted to a giant trampoline" idea just got even more insane.

Fozwazerus on
    edited August 2008
    Them are some sweet ideas. Ground floor = big. Roof extends upwards at and angle and connects with the tower. I will make some drawings myself to show you the insane vision held within my noggin, but all I have to work with is ordinary autocad 2005. I needs me a copy of the architectural version!

Fozwazerus on