Fantastic four cartoon

2456

Posts

  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    Orogogus wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    How is it prejudice? Seriously, American animation tends to have one kind of style just like American cheese. It is just a name given to it. Then you look at Japanimation and it tends to have its own style.
    Eh... I think Japanimation is a lot more monolithic than American animation, which is all over the place. I can see the similarity between Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon and Speed Racer a lot more clearly than I can between Dexter's Laboratory, GI Joe, Batman: TAS and the '90s X-Men cartoon. I don't really see that much anime in those FF pics, though; maybe a little, but not any more than I see in a lot of American comics. Hard to say without seeing the animation at work.

    See, this is where I find a huge problem with your argument. You're going to compare Cowboy Bebop with Pokemon and call them similar and then compare Dexter's Laboratory with X-men and say that they're different? I find a huge gaping hole in this scenario. I guess it's just a personal opinion in the end but I'd rather think that you made my argument for me.
    Hm. I dunno... I might cut Cowboy Bebop slack if it didn't have Ein or Faye in it, who use the same exaggerated manga facial expressions that I see everywhere else in anime. Probably not, though; I think it's still very close to Macross's style, which, while not "oh my gosh I can't tell the difference from Pokemon", does still look closely related to me. I honestly don't see any similarity between Dexter's and X-Men, though; I'd have pegged X-Men much closer to GI Joe, except for the way that X-Men always seemed to have just 3 or 4 frames of animation per second.

    Orogogus on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Orogogus wrote:
    Hm. I dunno... I might cut Cowboy Bebop slack if it didn't have Ein or Faye in it, who use the same exaggerated manga facial expressions that I see everywhere else in anime.
    cbbeinmm6.jpg
    Yeah, that's a pretty damn wacky annie-may facial expression.

    I'm assuming you were talking about Ed.

    korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    korodullin wrote:
    Orogogus wrote:
    Hm. I dunno... I might cut Cowboy Bebop slack if it didn't have Ein or Faye in it, who use the same exaggerated manga facial expressions that I see everywhere else in anime.
    Yeah, that's a pretty damn wacky annie-may facial expression.I'm assuming you were talking about Ed.
    Yeah, oops. :oops:

    Orogogus on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Orogogus wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:
    Orogogus wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    How is it prejudice? Seriously, American animation tends to have one kind of style just like American cheese. It is just a name given to it. Then you look at Japanimation and it tends to have its own style.
    Eh... I think Japanimation is a lot more monolithic than American animation, which is all over the place. I can see the similarity between Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon and Speed Racer a lot more clearly than I can between Dexter's Laboratory, GI Joe, Batman: TAS and the '90s X-Men cartoon. I don't really see that much anime in those FF pics, though; maybe a little, but not any more than I see in a lot of American comics. Hard to say without seeing the animation at work.

    See, this is where I find a huge problem with your argument. You're going to compare Cowboy Bebop with Pokemon and call them similar and then compare Dexter's Laboratory with X-men and say that they're different? I find a huge gaping hole in this scenario. I guess it's just a personal opinion in the end but I'd rather think that you made my argument for me.
    Hm. I dunno... I might cut Cowboy Bebop slack if it didn't have Ein or Faye in it, who use the same exaggerated manga facial expressions that I see everywhere else in anime. Probably not, though; I think it's still very close to Macross's style, which, while not "oh my gosh I can't tell the difference from Pokemon", does still look closely related to me. I honestly don't see any similarity between Dexter's and X-Men, though; I'd have pegged X-Men much closer to GI Joe, except for the way that X-Men always seemed to have just 3 or 4 frames of animation per second.

    It seems to me that you're just not familiar enough with anime.

    Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    Orogogus wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:
    Orogogus wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    How is it prejudice? Seriously, American animation tends to have one kind of style just like American cheese. It is just a name given to it. Then you look at Japanimation and it tends to have its own style.
    Eh... I think Japanimation is a lot more monolithic than American animation, which is all over the place. I can see the similarity between Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon and Speed Racer a lot more clearly than I can between Dexter's Laboratory, GI Joe, Batman: TAS and the '90s X-Men cartoon. I don't really see that much anime in those FF pics, though; maybe a little, but not any more than I see in a lot of American comics. Hard to say without seeing the animation at work.

    See, this is where I find a huge problem with your argument. You're going to compare Cowboy Bebop with Pokemon and call them similar and then compare Dexter's Laboratory with X-men and say that they're different? I find a huge gaping hole in this scenario. I guess it's just a personal opinion in the end but I'd rather think that you made my argument for me.
    Hm. I dunno... I might cut Cowboy Bebop slack if it didn't have Ein or Faye in it, who use the same exaggerated manga facial expressions that I see everywhere else in anime. Probably not, though; I think it's still very close to Macross's style, which, while not "oh my gosh I can't tell the difference from Pokemon", does still look closely related to me. I honestly don't see any similarity between Dexter's and X-Men, though; I'd have pegged X-Men much closer to GI Joe, except for the way that X-Men always seemed to have just 3 or 4 frames of animation per second.

    It seems to me that you're just not familiar enough with anime.

    Or the fact that the animation was just as bad in the G.I. Joe series as it was in the 90's X-men series unless you count the G.I. Joe movie.

    Grifter on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    Orogogus wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:
    Orogogus wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    How is it prejudice? Seriously, American animation tends to have one kind of style just like American cheese. It is just a name given to it. Then you look at Japanimation and it tends to have its own style.
    Eh... I think Japanimation is a lot more monolithic than American animation, which is all over the place. I can see the similarity between Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon and Speed Racer a lot more clearly than I can between Dexter's Laboratory, GI Joe, Batman: TAS and the '90s X-Men cartoon. I don't really see that much anime in those FF pics, though; maybe a little, but not any more than I see in a lot of American comics. Hard to say without seeing the animation at work.

    See, this is where I find a huge problem with your argument. You're going to compare Cowboy Bebop with Pokemon and call them similar and then compare Dexter's Laboratory with X-men and say that they're different? I find a huge gaping hole in this scenario. I guess it's just a personal opinion in the end but I'd rather think that you made my argument for me.
    Hm. I dunno... I might cut Cowboy Bebop slack if it didn't have Ein or Faye in it, who use the same exaggerated manga facial expressions that I see everywhere else in anime. Probably not, though; I think it's still very close to Macross's style, which, while not "oh my gosh I can't tell the difference from Pokemon", does still look closely related to me. I honestly don't see any similarity between Dexter's and X-Men, though; I'd have pegged X-Men much closer to GI Joe, except for the way that X-Men always seemed to have just 3 or 4 frames of animation per second.

    It seems to me that you're just not familiar enough with anime.

    Or the fact that the animation was just as bad in the G.I. Joe series as it was in the 90's X-men series unless you count the G.I. Joe movie.

    Which must be counted if only because of....

    NEMESIS ENFORCER!!!

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The first episode sounds awesome.

    Mai-Kero on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    They all sound pretty fucking awesome.

    Skrulls ftw.

    august on
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User
    edited September 2006
    Spidey rights are probably tied up, but I'd love a Human Torch/Spider-Man buddy episode.

    robosagogo on
  • TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spidey rights are probably tied up, but I'd love a Human Torch/Spider-Man buddy episode.
    Yes. The Human Torch/Spider-Man mini-series Marvel did last year is one of my favourite comics.

    Tofenheimer on
    Scooter wrote: »
    Dammit, now I can't see anything but giant golden dicks.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The Hulk episode sounds appealing. In fact, all the episodes but the first one sound kind of awesome.

    I HATE the "Defend Yourself" episodes/stories. The only good one was the one in Justice League, but only because of Kilowog.

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The first episode sounds awesome.

    This show needs a subtitle.

    "Fantastic Four: We are SO sorry about the movie."

    Season 2: "No. Really. We apologize."

    So far they all have a common theme.

    "Something happens. Dr. Doom is behind it, but only because he's fucking with Reed."

    This is a very good thing.

    The Muffin Man on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is anyone watching this right now?

    Because...yeah

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I am. Can't quite tell if that's a good 'yeah' or a bad 'yeah' however.

    Owenashi on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Just got up and turned it on.

    [spoiler:1a90a31edf]Smurfs.[/spoiler:1a90a31edf]

    Furu on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    I am. Can't quite tell if that's a good 'yeah' or a bad 'yeah' however.

    If it wasn't for the Thing juggling kids, I might have to shoot my TV.

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The first 3 minutes were so bad I left for the next 10.

    deadonthestreet on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thus far it seems like it has potential.

    I try not to judge first episodes too harshly, since there is generally room for improvement. But yeah, it has issues.

    korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thing: I'm thinking it's clobbering time.

    Reed: Yes

    COMMERCIAL BREAK.

    Comedic gold timing.

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So... first one's not so good, huh? Maybe it's a pilot. Those are usualy bad. Except Batman: TAS which had the best pilot of all time.

    august on
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think I'll give this a couple more episodes for improvement before I dismiss it. I'll be sure to catch it next week.

    korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User
    edited September 2006
    Yea, I only caught the 2nd half, it was rough but definitely has potential to be cool. I'm impressed the very first episode dealt with something like the Kree though, would've expected that a long ways off.

    kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I thought it was pretty damn good myself. The themesong had a very obvious Kirby influence, all the characters were really spot on, from Reed's being a little too obsessed with technology, even when it's trying to kill him, to Sue's slightly maternal attitude towards her oafish, dopey brother Johnny, and Ben's Rodney Dangerfeld-like inability to get any respect.

    Seriously, did anyone not crack a smile when it was shown how Johnny repeatedly destroyed Kree space-probes, and offering half-assed explanations until they got to the last one and he finally said, "Well by then it was sort of a habit.." They even threw in Torch's constant practical jokes on the Thing. It also scored some points with me for not doing the standard origin episode, and instead leapt right into the action.

    The animation looked a little cheap in one or two parts, but overall I was very impressed. The only thing I outright hate is Johnny's hair. It's like it leapt right out of a Final Fantasy game.

    Munch on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    How's the intro? I have to wait another two hours to catch it.

    "On an outerspace adventure
    They got hit by cosmic rays!
    And the four were changed forever
    In some most fantastic ways!

    No need to fear their here just call for four!
    Fantastic Four, don't need no more (that's ungrammatical)!"

    Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think I just didn't like the voices. Except for Thing.

    Also: yes, I too hated Johnny's hair.

    The intro was kind of okay. I don't think I hated it so much as I was thoroughly underwhelmed. It seemed too generic to me. I can see this taking a Teen Titans turn, though, and becoming something I thoroughly enjoy watching week to week. But right now, color me unimpressed.

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • KirkKirk Registered User
    edited September 2006
    What was the other Marvel cartoon played with the old fantastic four?

    Kirk on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    In the 90's I believe it was either Iron Man or Hulk.

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm watching this right now, and...wow. I love the combination of horrible CGI and poor animation.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    In the 90's I believe it was either Iron Man or Hulk.

    Think it was The Avengers.

    Grifter on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Kirk wrote:
    What was the other Marvel cartoon played with the old fantastic four?

    Iron Man, Hulk, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man all ran within a few years of each other, with X-Men and Spider-Man close together on the Fox network, and Hulk, IM, and FF ran pretty close to one another on the WB. The Avengers series with Hawkeye and Tigra ran years later on Fox.

    Munch on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User
    edited September 2006
    I'm fairly certain that Iron Man and Fantastic Four used to play back to back on the same channel.

    Oh snaps I was right

    BiggNife on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2006
    What a steaming pile of shit. Awful story, dialogue and animation.

    Terrorbyte on
  • KirkKirk Registered User
    edited September 2006
    BiggNife wrote:
    I'm fairly certain that Iron Man and Fantastic Four used to play back to back on the same channel.

    Oh snaps I was right

    That's the ticket.

    Kirk on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    I thought it was pretty damn good myself. The themesong had a very obvious Kirby influence, all the characters were really spot on, from Reed's being a little too obsessed with technology, even when it's trying to kill him, to Sue's slightly maternal attitude towards her oafish, dopey brother Johnny, and Ben's Rodney Dangerfeld-like inability to get any respect.

    Seriously, did anyone not crack a smile when it was shown how Johnny repeatedly destroyed Kree space-probes, and offering half-assed explanations until they got to the last one and he finally said, "Well by then it was sort of a habit.." They even threw in Torch's constant practical jokes on the Thing. It also scored some points with me for not doing the standard origin episode, and instead leapt right into the action.

    The animation looked a little cheap in one or two parts, but overall I was very impressed. The only thing I outright hate is Johnny's hair. It's like it leapt right out of a Final Fantasy game.

    They're finally realizing that if you don't know the Fantastic 4, and are older than 6, you are an idiot.
    What a steaming pile of shit. Awful story, dialogue and animation.
    So it's amazingly well-done?
    I can see this taking a Teen Titans turn, though, and becoming something I thoroughly enjoy watching week to week.

    This gets me hard by thinking of Doom as done by Ron Perlman.


    I hate you now.

    The Muffin Man on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It kind of makes sense why all the promos had Human Torch all fired up. Yeesh, that hair. I hope the animation improves in future episodes, because it felt like most of the time only their mouths were moving while their bodies were in poses that made it look like they were about to move. The voices could have been a lot worse, but I'm not really a fan. I chuckled a few times, though.

    It's promising how many cameos that it looks like there are going to be, too.

    Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2006
    What a steaming pile of shit. Awful story, dialogue and animation.
    So it's amazingly well-done?.

    Hahaha. What's up with this F4 Cartoon Street Team stuff? I can't fathom how a fan of either great animated TV or the Fantastic Four could watch this and not projectile vomit.
    because it felt like most of the time only their mouths were moving while their bodies were in poses that made it look like they were about to move

    It was sub-Flinstones.

    Terrorbyte on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It kind of makes sense why all the promos had Human Torch all fired up. Yeesh, that hair. I hope the animation improves in future episodes, because it felt like most of the time only their mouths were moving while their bodies were in poses that made it look like they were about to move. The voices could have been a lot worse, but I'm not really a fan. I chuckled a few times, though.

    It's promising how many cameos that it looks like there are going to be, too.


    Basically, I'm watching for the stories at this point. Being the same animation studio that did Code Lyoko (and it's painfully obvious because it looks like they cut and pasted the Kree drones directly from that show) you have to expect the animation not to blow anyone away. At least you can't show a movie on their forehead's in this one...

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2006
    Reading the future episode solicits, it does sound like the plots are going to get better. I don't know if that's going to be enough to salvage this for me. These pointy-chinned, whiny dudes just don't feel like the Fantastic Four to me at all.

    Terrorbyte on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User
    edited September 2006
    How old were they supposed to be? Adults? Teenagers?

    robosagogo on
Sign In or Register to comment.