As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valve is "open" to the idea of being bought out...

2»

• Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As for the merger itself, if EA and Valve both think that they are better off together or separate, they will do so. I do prefer EA's digital data distribution tool however, probably because it was easy to use, install, didn't add itself to the auto start menu or boot up list. All I did was use it to get the Spore Creature Editor, but it's unintrusive and isn't annoying so it is staying.

Also: I highly doubt a merger or valve being bought out would really change anything about their games. EA has kept it's studios relatively free to do their own thing and do it well. Mythic is a prime example.

This is a real first. Usually everyone i've met despises it compared to Valve's baby. Plus the whole "pay to keep your games" aspect really erks me. the reaosn I even BUY games through steam is to pretty much futureproof them and keep them easily accessable/purchasable.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Worst case scenario: EA buys out Valve, fires everyone, makes Half-life 2009 which sucks, kills Steam, kills portal, kills Jonathan Coulton, and kicks a puppy.

Best case scenario: EA buys out Valve, gives them virtually unlimited funding and time with the understanding that Valve will turn around and refund it to them by a few factors, kills EA downloader in favor of Steam, makes all EA games available on Steam, without closing it off from other publishers, and starts an orphaned animal shelter.

Khavall on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As for the merger itself, if EA and Valve both think that they are better off together or separate, they will do so. I do prefer EA's digital data distribution tool however, probably because it was easy to use, install, didn't add itself to the auto start menu or boot up list. All I did was use it to get the Spore Creature Editor, but it's unintrusive and isn't annoying so it is staying.

Also: I highly doubt a merger or valve being bought out would really change anything about their games. EA has kept it's studios relatively free to do their own thing and do it well. Mythic is a prime example.

Ok, we get you don't like steam, but you do realize that you're in the minority, right?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Ok, we get you don't like steam, but you do realize that you're in the minority, right?

And your reasons are so weird.

Hey so I built a new computer in May.

I had a bunch of games, some of which barely ran on my old computer.

Most were on steam, Northern Strike was through EA downloader.

Guess which games I can play.

Here's a hint, It's not the fucking EA one. In fact, it won't even let me purchase the game on the store with my account because it says I already bought it. I know I already bought it. But you aren't letting me download it.

Khavall on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can see where they are coming from.

Shit, if someone asked me if I wanted to make alot of money fast, and promise to let me keep my job... I'd do it...

Sueve on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    I hate steam... so very annoying and just a pain. "Look, I just want to buy these three games, and play them, not sign up for a mandatory online game distribution center nor do I want all these DRMs spy sapping mah data."

Than buy the games and switch steam into offline mode

I've heard that only works for a while, and it need to go back into online mode eventually.

If it was *just* the DRM'd distribution center thingie, I'd agree that it was annoying, but the community features and the very nice support for modding (not to mention the amazing games distributed through steam in the first place), make up for it in my book.

Plus, it's decent DRM. I mean, not some crappy "only 3 installs" type of deal, and you can login and start playing without disks at any machine that has steam installed.

Still, I am very adamant about it. I dislike the fucking idea that I must install something unrelated to my game. I go out, buy a disc, put it into my DvD drive, and then play the content on the disc which I bought with my disposable income from a legitimate job. But no, I must verify the content, sign up so that they have my personal information, and have extra software on my harddrive.

It's not that I don't mind giving .01% of my harddrive space, it's not that I am only mildly annoyed to have to right click and shut down steam from the icon tray, but it's the idea. Look it's great, digital distribution, but god damn, please do not cram it down my throat. I gave you my money, and don't want your extra software nor do I HAVE to give you my personal information. Period.

If I buy an iPod, it doesn't automatically install iTunes, Quicktime, and Safari last time I checked, nor did it ask for my name, number, and address.

This is a horrible argument. Horrible.

I'll start with your last point. No, the iPod doesn't automatically install iTunes (I'm going to ignore your Quicktime and Safari comments since they make no god damn sense). But if you want to get music from the iTunes store then you just might have to install it. Oh but you want to buy this music? I see, yes. They're going to need your name, number, address, and *gasp* credit card number.

Similarly with these games on Steam. No you don't have to download Steam. But if you want to buy a game through Steam, oh HOLY SHIT you have to install it. Oh what's that? You're buying something with a credit card online? Looks like they're gonna need your personal information to verify your fucking identity. What do you expect here? This isn't Direct2Drive.com, it's a social networking/online distribution hybrid. If you want to just download games then go to Direct2Drive.com. This is called voting with your dollars as a consumer, vote for somebody else if you don't like it.

I like how you make it very clear you're not actually annoyed having to minimize anything, it's just the idea. The idea. I have three words for you.

Get over it.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • ClumsyHopeClumsyHope Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    What is "sway" if not money? That gamers just like them a lot? We also liked Westwood, Looking Glass, and the others, and that didn't stop EA. Money rules. You think EA will be, like, "We could buy you out, but, since everyone thinks you're cool, we'll go ahead and merge instead."

What did EA ever do to Looking Glass? I tried looking it up and couldn't find anything. I thought Looking Glass and Westwood's downfall were they weren't profitable, not EA purchasing Westwood or co-publishing with Looking Glass.

Valve, on the other hand, should be making all the money. They are probably in a far better place than Looking Glass and Westwood ever were. They will hopefully be little less 'swayed' from EA's money. Though if EA were to throw enough of it, anything goes.

ClumsyHope on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Command&Conquer series wasn't profitable? Waht?

Glal on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Worst case scenario: EA buys out Valve, fires everyone, makes Half-life 2009 which sucks, kills Steam, kills portal, kills Jonathan Coulton, and kicks a puppy.

Best case scenario: EA buys out Valve, gives them virtually unlimited funding and time with the understanding that Valve will turn around and refund it to them by a few factors, kills EA downloader in favor of Steam, makes all EA games available on Steam, without closing it off from other publishers, and starts an orphaned animal shelter.

I like this post.

Also Steam seems annoying (why do I need to install and run this thing just to play a game?) for a bit, but then you realize it has more and more games you want to play and gradually come to accept and embrace its 9 MB memory footprint. One tiny program as a gateway to your entire games library starts seeming less and less intrusive.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

And your reasons are so weird.

Hey so I built a new computer in May.

I had a bunch of games, some of which barely ran on my old computer.

Most were on steam, Northern Strike was through EA downloader.

Guess which games I can play.

Here's a hint, It's not the fucking EA one. In fact, it won't even let me purchase the game on the store with my account because it says I already bought it. I know I already bought it. But you aren't letting me download it.

It worked fine for me and I haven't played since a month after northern strike came out.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what you are saying is that the EA download service sucks.

Well I wonder who they could hire to fix that? Maybe a company who already has a download service.
    Stardock!

The_Scarab on
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Well I wonder who they could hire to fix that? Maybe a company who already has a download service.
    Stardock!

I was totally expecting something else from that spoiler. <3

I wonder what would happen if they merged or became partners - would one corrupt the other, or would one improve the other? (downloading services that is)

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    If EA buys Valve this is what will happen.

EA games go on Steam. The EA download service remains for a few years then is phased out.

Valve actually releases Half Life 3 this century.

That is all.

As mentioned, what's the worst that can happen? EA propose to take over Valve and shut down Steam. Gabe says no. Valve is a privately owned company, it will not be sold to anyone unless they have like a billion contracts signed protecting their interests.

I think too few people realise that.

The_Scarab on
    edited August 2008

Stardock!

I was totally expecting something else from that spoiler. <3

I wonder what would happen if they merged or became partners - would one corrupt the other, or would one improve the other? (downloading services that is)

Hopefully that's the case. If anything goes wrong though, Valve has said on numerous occassion they'd set up a service for all Steam members to atleast download and store their games before Steam ever permanently shuts down.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Competition is good. Having too big a chunk of the gaming industry owned by one company sucks, whether its Valve or EA or Actiblizzard or whatever.
    You can't trust the gaming press when a single ad-buying manager supplies 95% of their magazines funding, same with website ads. You can't trust a store to stock niche titles when its pressured by a single uber-publisher.
    Consolidation in this industry is BAD for gamers, and we should make that known. Variety is good. If valve had been bought after HL1, you wouldn't have Steam.

cliffski on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If EA buys Valve this is what will happen.As mentioned, what's the worst that can happen? EA propose to take over Valve and shut down Steam. Gabe says no. Valve is a privately owned company, it will not be sold to anyone unless they have like a billion contracts signed protecting their interests.

I'm not nearly as optimistic. EA could buy Valve and say nothing about Steam, and then a year or so later a press release comes out that says something like "Steam and EA's online distribution systems are merging," and then instead of merging them they just kill Steam.

I'm less than confident in the strength of "contracts protecting their interests." If EA owns Valve they own Steam and they can do what they like with it, which in my opinion will be to can it or make it a service that charges a fee. EA's a big company, they'll act in whatever way they think maximizes their profits and like most game companies that size when they see "online distribution" they think "monthly fee."

Yougottawanna on
    edited August 2008
    If EA buys Valve this is what will happen.As mentioned, what's the worst that can happen? EA propose to take over Valve and shut down Steam. Gabe says no. Valve is a privately owned company, it will not be sold to anyone unless they have like a billion contracts signed protecting their interests.

I'm not nearly as optimistic. EA could buy Valve and say nothing about Steam, and then a year or so later a press release comes out that says something like "Steam and EA's online distribution systems are merging," and then instead of merging them they just kill Steam.

No they couldn't. I don't think you understand what a contract is. They are carefully written.

The_Scarab on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why not link the actual full Gamasutra article instead of the half quoted Shacknews piece intent on getting the scaremongering on?

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19695]
    If anyone is interested in acquiring Valve, VP Doug Lombardi is "happy to have that conversation," he told Gamasutra in a recent interview.

"By the same token, the company's doing pretty well, and we're really happy with what we're doing," he added.

"So we'll see. I mean, anything is possible."

Valve's relationship with Electronic Arts, who will publish its upcoming Left 4 Dead, is "really good," said Lombardi, especially after what he referred to as "the Vivendi divorce."

"We had been socialized to doing so many things ourselves, whether it's box creation, funding our own development, etcetera," he said, "that when we came to meet with folks about a distribution deal - and I use that phrase intentionally - we were looking for somebody to do a certain set of services that we didn't want to do, or weren't versed in, and nothing more."

All of those "distribution deal" conversations, Lombardi said, were fraught with extra offerings that Valve wasn't interested in taking. "We're like, 'You know, we're really comfortable doing those pieces of the business ourselves, and that's what we want to do,'" Lombardi recalled.

EA's support for Steam, he continued, was part of what sowed the seeds of a healthy relationship.

"EA was very progressive about saying, 'We understand who you guys are. We understand what Steam is. We don't want Steam to go away.' Well, they might want Steam to go away, but they're not asking us to make Steam go away."

The "valuable add" of EA's distribution power to Valve's business was all the company needed from EA. "And [EA Partners] is obviously in a sweet spot right now. I mean, all publishers go through personality changes, and that caused them to be at better points in time," said Lombardi.

"You know, I came out of Sierra, and at the time, Sierra was Half-Life, Homeworld, the Caesar games, and a couple other games that were really great," he continued.

"There were some good people there, and if you asked developers and whatnot, 'What publishers have got things going on?' they'd say, 'Oh, I met the guys from Sierra Studios, and they're really cool, and they've got a bunch of great games.'"

Ubisoft, said Lombardi, has also gone through various cycles - "You know, in the late '90s, they weren't the powerhouse that they are today."

"And EAP has obviously become a powerhouse now, with us, Crytek, Rock Band, the announcement with Carmack and the id guys. So, you know, they're enjoying some great days, and we enjoy working with them."

In Gamasutra's recent interview with id founder Carmack, he said he had prejudices about EA that he discussed ahead of forming a deal with the company, and one of his sounding boards was Valve.

"Yeah, yeah. Well, [Valve managing director] Gabe [Newell] had the same reaction when [COO] Scott [Lynch] and I came home from our roadshow of meeting with all the publishers, and we said, 'We think EA's the right choice.' He's like, 'You've got to be kidding me!'"

But once Newell met with those whom Lombardi called "the people that had impressed us," he relented.

"And we set up the deal so that it turned out that if EA was this evil empire, that it wasn't going to last forever," Lombardi said. "But it's turned out that all those scary stories - which, you know, maybe some of them were true, and maybe some of them are history; I don't know - haven't appeared to us; we haven't seen the boogeyman."

So to Carmack and id CEO Todd Hollenshead, Lombardi had words of advice on EA's strengths. "And, you know, humans aren't perfect. Issues come up. Publishing is hard, and we're doing it internationally, so things come up from time to time," he said.

"The cliché that I'm pushing is, it's not the cards you're dealt, it's how you play them. So, when things come up, the EA guys are very honest about it, they're accountable about it, and they're responsive. You can't ask for anything more than that."

[Valve's Lombardi also talked to us about the Turtle Rock acquisition and the company's growth path.]

Acquisition by EA was only mentioned as an off-the-cuff remark, in an "anything's possible" way. The whole article was mainly about Valve getting EA to do distribution for Left 4 Dead and how EA kept coming back trying to convince them to let them take on more of the project, but Valve kept saying "no we've got that covered, thanks."

I mean Doug Lombardi pretty much says right at the start that whilst they're happy to have the conversation they're also happy with where they are right now as an independent developer. Especially in relation to this interview with Doug Lombardi linked from that one:
    I think it's also fairly telling that the philosophy going into it was, "Well, in ten years it will mean something." That alone suggests that it was conceived in the long term. Most product decisions in the games industry are not created with "ten years in the future" in mind - everything seems more financial quarter-based.

DL: Yeah, I think that goes back, again, to having some of the early success of Half-Life, and selling unbelievable amounts there, and that allowed us to bank a lot of capital to be that patient. And also being privately held, right? I mean, we don't have to report to the Street; we're not beholden to the Street. We don't have to have a release this quarter, or this Christmas, or by the end of the financial year.

And that success from Half-Life, and Half-Life 2, has allowed us to be very independent from publishers. As you know, we finance our own development, we do our own QA, we do our own box art. We pretty much own everything except for replication and distribution at retail. So that gives you a certain freedom, and being privately held also gives you a certain freedom.

If anything, whilst they're willing to talk with people on the subject, they also state that they value the freedom that being independent has given them

Seriously, guys, the sky isn't falling. Even if they do agree to join up with EA, that doesn't somehow mean the end of Valve. Doug Lombardi's comments on EA could roughly be summarised as "companies change, and EA isn't really evil right now. No really."

subedii on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No they couldn't. I don't think you understand what a contract is. They are carefully written.

I understand what a contract is man. But if EA owns Valve they own Steam, and for every person who's good at writing a contract there's someone just as good at finding a way around it. What makes you so confident that such a condition (you have to preserve Steam in its current form if you buy us out) would even exist?

As I said before, no matter how unlikely this is I don't want it to happen.

Yougottawanna on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Unless they're not. Otherwise there would be no reason for arbitration clauses and contract disputes would be unheard of.

Not saying that this would be the case with any possible valve / EA action - just that contracts are written carefully but are not beyond repudiation.

I see this as valve just saying that they like money. Did anyone honestly expect them to say "Independence is core to our philosophy and we would never consider being bought out."? There's no history of that mindset anywhere with valve, and them saying that they are always open to hearing offers is just good sense.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    edited August 2008

I see this as valve just saying that they like money. Did anyone honestly expect them to say "Independence is core to our philosophy and we would never consider being bought out."? There's no history of that mindset anywhere with valve, and them saying that they are always open to hearing offers is just good sense.

Whilst I wouldn't say that they're completely averse to signing up with EA, it's pretty apparent that they deeply value their independence and being able to maintain complete creative control on their products. Saying that "there's no history of that mindset" is a pretty big stretch.

subedii on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Whilst I wouldn't say that they're completely averse to signing up with EA, it's pretty apparent that they deeply value their independence and being able to maintain complete creative control on their products. Saying that "there's no history of that mindset" is a pretty big stretch.

As long as they're self-supporting, who wouldn't value their independence? I've just never gotten the "We either succeed alone or we fail" vibe from valve that some other developers occasionally put off.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

EA games go on Steam. The EA download service remains for a few years then is phased out.

That is all.

As mentioned, what's the worst that can happen? EA propose to take over Valve and shut down Steam. Gabe says no. Valve is a privately owned company, it will not be sold to anyone unless they have like a billion contracts signed protecting their interests.

Yeah, they're hardly going to put their names down on a contract that basically says EA can gut the company and close down Steam. If Valve aren't made better off by any of the offered terms, they will not sign. That's kind of what is being said in the comment there. If an offer we like comes in, we'll consider it. As things are, we're doing just fine.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

That is all.

Yeah, they're hardly going to put their names down on a contract that basically says EA can gut the company and close down Steam. If Valve aren't made better off by any of the offered terms, they will not sign. That's kind of what is being said in the comment there. If an offer we like comes in, we'll consider it. As things are, we're doing just fine.

There's a third option neither of you are considering.

EA plants an agent within Valve as a temp worker. Through a serious of freak industrial "incidents" and chance opportunities he rises to the top of the ivory tower that is Gabe's Playhose.

Then, SHOCK! Gabe Newell suddenly, and coincidentally founded deceased from choking on 17 peppermints simultaneously. A verdict of "death by mishap" is recorded, and Gabe Newells heretofore unknown to anyone will is safely delivered to Valve studios later that day.

Amongst other stipulations regarding new working hours and mandatory overtime without pay, will be a small, rather convenient mention that the trusted temp worker who diligently worked his way up the company ladder is now the new owner and CEO of Valve software.

Nobody will suspect. Even as Valve software's new CEO signs off on the dotted line, even as he "re-organises" Steam into an insane bureaucracy of marketing speak, undelivered games and ridiculously obstructive DRM, even as he cackles, gleefully and loudly cackles to himself in the supposed security of the mens room lavatory, nobody shall ever suspect, that it was EA all along!.

subedii on
    edited August 2008
    I dunno. EA could do that, or they could just hire 80s guy to shift some paradigms.

The_Scarab on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I dunno. EA could do that, or they could just hire 80s guy to shift some paradigms.

is this the part where we all start to make office space references?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

futurama references, actually

future shock (2002)
    That Guy: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Anyone who is a sheep is fired. Who is a sheep?
    Dr. Zoidberg: Errr, excuse me... which is the one people like to hug?
    That Guy: Gutsy question. You're a shark. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

Dehumanized on
  • SilvanariSilvanari Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i felt that he was referencing futurama more, but meh.

edit: dang, beat me to it.

Silvanari on
    beholdcorn.png
    edited August 2008

futurama references, actually

future shock (2002)
    That Guy: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Anyone who is a sheep is fired. Who is a sheep?
    Dr. Zoidberg: Errr, excuse me... which is the one people like to hug?
    That Guy: Gutsy question. You're a shark. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

Awesome.

Awesome to the max.

The_Scarab on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »

I like this post.

Also Steam seems annoying (why do I need to install and run this thing just to play a game?) for a bit, but then you realize it has more and more games you want to play and gradually come to accept and embrace its 9 MB memory footprint. One tiny program as a gateway to your entire games library starts seeming less and less intrusive.

I would be more inclined to agree with you if I was a fan of media-management software. This may be part of the split. I already have a way to get to the few games I still play on the PC. This would be perfect for an iTunes user, I think. Which works out well since iTunes has such a large portion of the market and people seem to like it.

I really only use it because I have to.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't have an opinion about this but I read a comment on ShackNews that had me laughing.
    I can't wait to see what The Internet thinks about this!

:lol:

zilo on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I suppose Steam qualifies Valve as a publisher, at least in part, but I still feel like they're one of the very very few important independent developers left.

I want to see them stay that way.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.