As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suikoden: 108 characters, no waiting

YoshinoYoshino Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
So, is anyone else a big fan of the Suikoden series? :D One of my favourite JRPGs, I love the amount of characters I can build a party with even if the game itself isn't challenging enough to need to switch up your party all that often.

The series has been kind of quiet for a while, with a lot of people thinking that Suikoden V was probably the last in the series, due to it's abysmal sales. But today, there's been some news. Via Due Fiumi:
Konami Corporation has trademarked the name "Suikoden Tierkreis" in North America for use with "video game software". Could these mean a new release in our favourite series? Perhaps, seeing as this is how news of Suikoden Tactics first reached our ears, through a similar trademark.

Of course, everyone remembers Chrono Break, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but this is a pretty hopeful sign that Konami's continuing the series. I can't wait to hear more, although if we do it probably won't be until TGS. Due Fiumi has some speculation on what the game could be about, but trademark registries don't do much for information.

Still, interesting news!

Do you play Suikoden? Any favourites? Anyone else outraged by the price of Suikoden II on ebay?

Yoshino on

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    *cough*

Well, I certainly hope that means a new Suikoden. I've been waiting for news of #6 for awhile now.

And I can't be outraged about something where the people who buy actually define the price. It's unfortunate, but that's what supply and demand does. Now, if they'd just release the I&II for PSP in NA, then there wouldn't be a problem. Fortunately I have my own copy of II so I don't really care either way.

Schide on
  • Options
    YoshinoYoshino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doh! I searched for a Suikoden thread and didn't see anything, must have accidentally hit the wrong button. or typo'ed or something. >_<

Me too. I can't wait and hope this is either a new main game or a new side game. If it's a side game, I hope it doesn't end like tactics did.
    LOLZ Goat-sex.

Or at least, if it does, to be as entertainingly amusing.

I've got a copy of II, too, but very annoying since it's the one I'd recommend to friends. Wish Konami would have just brought I and II out here.

Yoshino on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Suikoden is my favorite JRPG series, and pretty much the only games in that genre I really love to this day.

Tierkreis means "animal circle" in German, so I don't know what to think of that, unless it's just a code name. I'm imagining a minigame collection starring the various beast races.

Really, I just want someone to bring Suikoden I/II to the west. Stick 'em on the DS if the PSP version doesn't sell, I don't care.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I only played 1 and 2, but i loved how everyone would attack at the same time. More games should do that.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want Suikoden 1+2 redone in 2D HD graphics like the 2D HD Street Fighter.
    I also want voice acting, new locations and more interactive stuff. And I want to be able to build the castle how I want. And the army battles should be like Suikoden 5.

Heck,just give me Suikoden 6 already!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The ESRB rated Suikoden for PS3/PSP a while ago, indicating it was likely coming to the PlayStation Store.

Couple months later and still nothing. It's like Earthbound, to a lesser extent.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Would it make me look bad to say that one of the reasons I haven't bought a 360/PS3 is because Konami hasn't announced Suikoden VI yet? I can't help it. I just don't want to be wrong.

Artereis on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only one I ever played was 3, but I really liked it, I had a lot of fun, and it was one of a very few JRPGs that was new and I actually enjoyed. It kind of feels, to me, that most JRPGs that I have the misfortune of playing these days either is really immature and seems to be made for kids or is hyper-angsty, and makes me feel like I should be wearing face paint to play it.

Suikoden 3 was nice because it was a mature, large scale story line with characters who weren't on the verge of crying, and who didn't shoot powers out of a stuffed doll or anything like that.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It makes me sad that they haven't localized the PSP releases of 1 & 2, but I have the PS1 versions, so no huge loss.

I still haven't played V, though III was my favorite so far.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Suikoden 2 kicked all sort of ass and Luca Blight was pretty win as a character that made me want to hate him.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Which Suikoden was the one with the female on the horse wearing the suit of armor? Whichever one that is was fucking terrible. I was so bored playing through that game... But I got to about 12 hours.

Please tell me the others aren't like that game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are you talking about the one where you could pick one of three characters to start with? The armored girl on horseback, the tribal gryphon-riding kid, and the leader of enigmatic band of mercenaries?

That's Suikoden 3, and I liked it a lot, damn you! Suikoden IV was the bad one. V is apparently a return to form, but I've not played it.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Once upon a time I owned Suikoden I and II. I let a friend borrow Suikoden I, II, Xenogears and FF IX because he was lookin for some good RPGs to play. I'd known him for most of my life, since I was 7. He had them for a few months and he said he was making progress. A few months later I asked for my games back and he said he would get them to me. A week goes by and he finally fesses up, "I sold them all cuz I wanted to buy some herb". Needless to say i'm out 4 games that are not cheap or easy to come by. I also don't talk to him anymore. I'm just f'n pissed that I did own them and now I don't. what a dick.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, a few years back I was considering ebaying off Suikoden II for the ridiculous ~$110 to $130 it was going at the time.

I didn't, and I'm glad that I didn't.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Once upon a time I owned Suikoden I and II. I let a friend borrow Suikoden I, II, Xenogears and FF IX because he was lookin for some good RPGs to play. I'd known him for most of my life, since I was 7. He had them for a few months and he said he was making progress. A few months later I asked for my games back and he said he would get them to me. A week goes by and he finally fesses up, "I sold them all cuz I wanted to buy some herb". Needless to say i'm out 4 games that are not cheap or easy to come by. I also don't talk to him anymore. I'm just f'n pissed that I did own them and now I don't. what a dick.

Fists would meet faces if this happened to me.

Man, I feel your pain, that really sucks.

Personally, I've played through Suikoden and never quite made it through II because I only ever rented it. The second time I beat Suikoden 1, I got all 108 characters. I returned the 1st to my friend, borrowed the second, put the game in and tried to load my completed save file. Much to my dismay, my memory card crapped out and became permanently corrupted. I lost ALOT of master save files that day. It was a dark day.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved Suikoden V until the part where I found out that I just missed one of the stars (detective) and he's never coming back again unless I replay

Edit: A question, may contain spoilers
    Do all the main girl characters die in the Suikoden series if I didn't collect all the stars. I've only played Suikoden II before V though.

Peas on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    Are you talking about the one where you could pick one of three characters to start with? The armored girl on horseback, the tribal gryphon-riding kid, and the leader of enigmatic band of mercenaries?

That's Suikoden 3, and I liked it a lot, damn you! Suikoden IV was the bad one. V is apparently a return to form, but I've not played it.

Really? Yeah... It felt so generic. :( The fighting was so slow paced, and the story was very "Meh". I tried though, I really did. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Yeah, Suikoden is my favorite JRPG series, and pretty much the only games in that genre I really love to this day.

Tierkreis means "animal circle" in German, so I don't know what to think of that, unless it's just a code name. I'm imagining a minigame collection starring the various beast races.

Really, I just want someone to bring Suikoden I/II to the west. Stick 'em on the DS if the PSP version doesn't sell, I don't care.
    No, it means 'zodiac'

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Peas wrote: »
    I loved Suikoden V until the part where I found out that I just missed one of the stars (detective) and he's never coming back again unless I replay

Do all the main girl characters die in the Suikoden series if I didn't collect all the stars. I've only played Suikoden II before V though.
    The person that dies-and-you-need-108-stars-to-revive in I is a dude. But yeah, I think so.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The person that dies-and-you-need-108-stars-to-revive in I is a dude. But yeah, I think so.
    To the best of my recollection, 3 and 4 don't have anything like that. 3 has that kid that Hugo starts out with die early, but he's not a star and never comes back. Otherwise those two don't have any stars die. Unless my memory has betrayed me.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Schide wrote: »

To the best of my recollection, 3 and 4 don't have anything like that. 3 has that kid that Hugo starts out with die early, but he's not a star and never comes back. Otherwise those two don't have any stars die. Unless my memory has betrayed me.
    Yeah, I haven't played 3-5 to completion. Passed by most of the PS2 JRPGs. Was kinda burned out on the genre for a while.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    No, it means 'zodiac'

Hah, so much for my literal thinking. I didn't know that, though I probably should've guessed.

Well, maybe this means constellations will play some sort of thematical part?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well, there's Yun, Luc, and Sarah in Suikoden 3. And if you decide to be an asshole you can kill a few stars in Suikoden 4. But none of those people come back.
    No, it means 'zodiac'

Hah, so much for my literal thinking. I didn't know that, though I probably should've guessed.

Or the Zodiac Sword.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, I'm really sad (well, not really) that I went out and got a HDTV, because PS2 games look like shit now, and it's hard to play Suikoden V when it looks all blurry with borders. I didn't get through it the first time 'round. I played it for like 30 hours and never even got to the battles. That game is fucking LONG.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Suikoden V always looked horrible, though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, I'm really sad (well, not really) that I went out and got a HDTV, because PS2 games look like shit now, and it's hard to play Suikoden V when it looks all blurry with borders. I didn't get through it the first time 'round. I played it for like 30 hours and never even got to the battles. That game is fucking LONG.

This saddens me so much. The component cables do pretty much nothing as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well, there's Yun, Luc, and Sarah in Suikoden 3. And if you decide to be an asshole you can kill a few stars in Suikoden 4. But none of those people come back.
    No, it means 'zodiac'

Or the Zodiac Sword.
    Eh, I wasn't really counting Luc and co. because it's not the same thing, where they get killed and then come back if you collect all the stars. They're more, collect all the stars that you can, then you can BE them for a bit, which was pretty cool.

Also, it's not like any of the Suikodens are renowned for their graphical prowess, but I don't have an hdtv so I don't know how bad PS2 games can on them.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Suikoden V always looked horrible, though.

Well, yes, but this certainly doesn't help. The thing hurts my eyes after a while.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm a little mixed about the news for a new Suikoden. I loved I and II, but I haven't played any in the series after that. I don't know what they've switched up over the years, so I'm not sure how excited to be about a new installment.

Everyone says IV isn't so good, but are III and V worth taking a look at? How do they compare to I and II as far as battle system and story line go?

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Three is AMAZING. Easily the best in the series. IV is tied with two for my second favorite. Five is terrible, though, no matter what anyone else tells you.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    3 and 5 are a lot of fun, 4 is pretty terrible.

In 3 you control 3 different main characters who each have their own chapters and go their own places, but there is also a limited number of locales so it tends to get a bit repetitive since you keep going through the same places. At least until you get a certain character and then a certain chapter. It also changes up the battle system from the first two by not letting you directly control all six team members, you only control in pairs. So you can only select magic from one half of each pair.

4 is a lot of boring places with a supremely bland main. It also screws with the battle system by only having 4 characters in the party. It has a pretty cool castle though.

5 went back more to the style of the first two games, again having six characters in the party and letting you control them all. Except now there are different formations you can use that have different attacks and affects with them. It plays a fair bit like 2 in most regards, but 3d.

Of course, all the major battle systems are different, and I don't really feel like explaining those right now. The duel battles are largely the same with only a few tweaks here and there.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    A lot of people think 3 is the best one. It's probably the most unique of the games, as it has a lot of elements that aren't brought back in the sequels. It's definitely great quality overall, but it looks absolutely horrid. It also has framerate issues for whatever reason. If you can find it, you should get it, but I'd say that about every game in the series.

4 is a lot like 1 in many ways. It's simplistic, the story isn't very deep, and it's very short. A lot of people hate it because it seemed like a step back from 2/3, in addition to some questionable design choices like the sailing. It's not a bad game, though, and Snowe is one of the best characters in the series.

5 is a return to form. It's the closest thing you'll get to another 2, and there is a lot of things to like about it. Like I said, I've never completed it, but it's fucking huge and the gameplay is the same as always. It looks worse than 4, but better than 3. It's worth getting. Hell, you can probably get 3, 4 and 5 for very little money. 2 is the only one that's obscenely expensive (though 1 is getting there), and it *might* get a PSN release down the line.

Edit: I totally forgot about Tactics. I never bought it 'cause I can't stand SRPGs in general. How is it?

Cherrn on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Fists would meet faces if this happened to me.

Man, I feel your pain, that really sucks.

Personally, I've played through Suikoden and never quite made it through II because I only ever rented it. The second time I beat Suikoden 1, I got all 108 characters. I returned the 1st to my friend, borrowed the second, put the game in and tried to load my completed save file. Much to my dismay, my memory card crapped out and became permanently corrupted. I lost ALOT of master save files that day. It was a dark day.

I am saddened whenever i think of it.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    3 gets good... eventually. It just takes SO LONG for it to wind up. The upside is that by the time the game gets interesting, you're very invested in the world and characters. The downside is that it's sometimes a stretch of patience to bear with the game in the early parts.

Also, the castle in 3 is probably the most boring in the entire series. Granted, I still haven't completely finished the game, but I'm up to 87 stars and the castle hasn't evolved or changed in the slightest, except for new stores appearing. And these are all outside the actual castle (which is more like a mansion, with only two floors and two basement levels, wtf is up with that?). But besides that, it's a good game. It gets pretty talky in parts (on a Golden Sun scale), but when the plot actually advances, it's great.

And yeah... the thing looks like a Dreamcast game. And it came out after both FFX and Kingdom Hearts, so there's not much of an excuse for it in that department.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Suikoden 3 is a lot faster on its feet than two or five (oh god, five. FOUR HOURS of pointless exposition, one major scene, and then SIX MORE HOURS of nothing happening), but yes. The only bad part of Suikoden 3 is that the mansion never gets repaired.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    2 took a while to get to the castle, yes, but at least the stuff that happens on the way there is interesting. Your party is basically persecuted by Highland, and oh my god is Luca Blight ever a douchebag.
    I remember thinking that the fort at the beginning would become my castle, only to have my expectations shattered when it's burned to the ground.

And then again when Jowy joins the enemy.

And then again when Luca dies only halfway through the game.

It is SUCH a good game. <3

Suikoden 3 is blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah CHAPTER END! Now do it again with another guy blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. There are a few interesting scenes, mostly early on, but really, until you get to the Flame Champion, NOTHING HAPPENS. Even worse, nothing happens NOWHERE, considering there's only about a dozen separate locations in the entire game which you revisit over and over and over and over again.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for all the info! I guess I'll take a look at the other ones once I finish up 1 proper. I'd be willing to settle for subpar graphics if the games still deliver elsewhere, and it sounds like they do.

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    2 took a while to get to the castle, yes, but at least the stuff that happens on the way there is interesting. Your party is basically persecuted by Highland, and oh my god is Luca Blight ever a douchebag.
    I remember thinking that the fort at the beginning would become my castle, only to have my expectations shattered when it's burned to the ground.

Suikoden 3 is blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah CHAPTER END! Now do it again with another guy blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. There are a few interesting scenes, mostly early on, but really, until you get to the Flame Champion, NOTHING HAPPENS. Even worse, nothing happens NOWHERE, considering there's only about a dozen separate locations in the entire game which you revisit over and over and over and over again.
    Yeah, if you didn't know Jowy was going to betray you right from the start, then I don't even know what to say to you. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    SimBen wrote: »

Yeah, if you didn't know Jowy was going to betray you right from the start, then I don't even know what to say to you. :P
    No, seriously, I never saw that coming. I thought Riou and Jowy would be dual main characters each bearing one half of the Rune of Conflict and that Luca would be the last boss. In a way, I was misled by my previous RPG experience, most notably FF6, which resembles Suikoden 2 A LOT in the early parts. That's one of the reasons why it's so fantastic - it's really unlike anything you've ever seen before.

It's closer to FF4, in fact. If Golbez died halfway through and Kain took over his empire and never turned back to the good side.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "You get the holy green shield rune, Riou! Isn't that swell? ~_^"

"Jowy, for you, the BLACK SWORD OF OBLIVION RUNE. CARVE THY NAME IN THE WEAVE OF SOULS"

Cherrn on