As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Runaways Thread

manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Graphic Violence
Run025covfin.jpg
HELLS YEAH

Considering that the new series of the team is coming out this month I thought It would be appropriate to let everyone know about one of the best titles that Marvel has been publishing, and remind everyone about it since I'm sure some of us lost track with the number of delays with Whedon.

What the hell is this?
Runaways is a comic series originally created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona. The series follow the adventures of a group of teenagers who find out their parents are actually super-villains and heads of the organized crime syndicate The Pride which controls Los Angles including most of the Police Department and other authorities. After seeing their parents sacrifice a woman for some sort of ritual the teens decide to runway and attempt to expose their parents. Along the way the group discover powers due to their unique heritage or inheritances from their parents. Eventually they manage to defeat and expose The Pride, but doing so creates a power vacuum in LA. The Runaways now protect LA from the many villains looking to take over in hopes to make up for the evil done by their parents.

THE CURRENT TEAM
200px-Sister_Grimm_002.jpg
Nico Minoru
The daughter of dark wizards Robert and Tina Minoru, Nico is a sorceress who uses The Staff of One, an artifact which can cast any spell, but only once and has some limitations. She is the current unofficial leader of the group.

250px-Runaways2_24.png
Chase Stein
The oldest member of the group Chase is the son of mad scientists Victor and Janet Stein, unlike his parents Chase got a D in Algebra and plays Lacrosse. Chase has no powers but currently owns 'Fistigons', large metal gantlets which can create and manipulate fire. Chase also has a physic and empathic link with 'Old Lace' a genetically engineered deinonychus from the future.

250px-Runaways22.jpg
Victor Mancha
A cyborg created by Ultron in order to destroy the Avengers in the future. However the other members of the Runaways managed to avert this from occurring. Victor has electro-magnetic powers which he can use to manipulate metals and electricity.

180px-Karolina.jpg
Karolina Dean
A alien and daughter of invaders Frank and Leslie Dean. Her Majesdanian powers allow her to fly, manipulate solar energy as a weapon and a shield. She is currently engaged to Xavin and also homosexual.

Xavincover.jpg
Xavin
A super-skrull in training Xavin is able to use the powers of the Fantastic Four, but only one at a time and possesses Skrull shape-changing abilities which s/he uses often. Xavin had came to earth to take and wed Karolina in order to create peace between their two races, however this fails and are both forced to return to earth.

Runaways_Vol1-15.jpg
Molly Hayes
The youngest member and daughter of mutants Gene and Alice Hayes. Molly is a mutant with super-strength and invulnerability. Originally using this power would cause her to become very sleepy though she has managed to overcome this over time. Molly is arguable also the most awesome member of the group and has beaten up both Wolverine and the Punisher.

Klara_Prast.png
Klara Prast
The newest member of the team. Klara is originally from 1907 and goes into the future with the others to escape her abusive husband. She has the ability to control plant life.
(Confirmed here

Why should I read something like this anyway?
Runaways is easily of the best titles that has been published by Marvel in quite some time. Unlike other superhero titles this book stays away from many of the stereotypes such as costumes and codenames. All of the characters are very well developed, likable and feel like honest to goodness human teenagers without ever becoming annoying. And in general the comic is just plain fun, something that is often absent in many titles today.

You've swayed me sir, tell me what to read!
Thankfully for you a brand new volume is being released on August 27 and is being written by Terry Moore and Humberto Ramos on art.
RUNAWYV3001_COV_col_t.jpg
RUNAWAYS # 1
Come see the beginning of a whole new Runaways! Comics legend Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise, Echo) and super-star artist Humberto Ramos (X-MEN, WOLVERINE, SPIDER-MAN) run back to Los Angeles with your favorite teen heroes. But it’s not the same city they left so long ago. The Runaways try to stay off the radar, but the sins of their parents won’t make that possible…
Rated T+ …$2.99 In Stores: Aug 27, 2008

RUNAWYV3002_cov_col_sm.jpg
RUNAWAYS # 2
The kids are back in town, and LA will never be the same. They’ve set up new digs in Malibu, but will they be able to keep it from being destroyed the first day? The remains of Runaway Karolina’s alien race has come to Earth to get revenge for the millions who died on their homeworld. And they’re pointing their fingers at Karolina and Xavin. All this from comic legend Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise, Echo) and superstar Humberto Ramos (X-MEN, SPIDER-MAN)!
Rated T+ …$2.99 In Stores: Sep 24, 2008

RUNAWY_3_sm.jpg
RUNAWAYS # 3
The Runaways are more scattered than ever! Barely surviving an attack by some of the few remaining members of Karolina’s alien race, the Runaways need to pull it together to be ready for the alien warriors when they get back. But it’s looking bleak! Brought to you by comic legend Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise) and Humberto Ramos (X-MEN, SPIDER-MAN).Rated T+ …$2.99 In Stores: Oct 22, 2008

Also the Runaways are showing up in a Secret Invasion mini-series with the Young Avengers aptly titled 'Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avenger' which is out with one issue which was pretty good. The second coming on August 13, 2008
SECINVYARUN00_SM.jpg
SECRET INVASION: RUNAWAYS/YOUNG AVENGERS # 2
Things look bleak for the future of the Marvel Universe. Xavin has turned on the Runaways. Hulkling is out of commission. Can the rest of the Runaways and Young Avengers keep it together? Heck, can they survive? Rated T+ …$2.99 In Stores: Aug 13, 2008

SECINVRUN003_COV_col_t.jpg
SECRET INVASION: RUNAWAYS/YOUNG AVENGERS # 3
The rip-roaring teen mini-series comes to a killer climax! The teams are split up, but can they come together and stop the Invasion? Can Hulkling become the Messiah he has been prophesized to be? Is Xavin lost forever? Rated T+ …$2.99 In Stores: Sep 10, 2008

Also the upcoming What-If? series starting in December will feature a multi-part back story "What If the Runaways became the Young Avengers?"
RunawaysWhatIfPg1PencilFlat.jpg

This isn't the first volume! I want to read everything thats come out!
All of the issues of the main Runaway title are currently available in manga-sized trade paperbacks(I'm not very fond of these) and super-awesome hard covers which I fully endorse.

What is this thread for?
Basically discussion of the upcoming and previous issues of the titles. As a general rule make sure to keep spoiler tags for prevalent character deaths that have occurred already for anyone who plans on reading the earlier stuff.

(I guess there was an earlier Runaways thread but that's old and hasn't been posted in for over a month.)

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
manaleak34 on

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sweeettttttttttt. So I have like 1/2 of the Runaways Singles, all of the paper-back "manga" format books, and I really want to by the stupidly awesome hardcovers anyway. Cuz those things are sick.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Runaways; great series or greatest series?[/colbert]

I've got the first 7 mini-trades, and can't wait for the 8th to come out. I've already read the hardcover version, so I'm fairly up to date on the story, just want the collection to be complete.

I love the giant hardcovers, but can't quite justify buying them at the moment.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The first Runaways arc, with their parents, was great. The stuff immediately after that was really disappointing though. When does it start getting good again?

Starcross on
  • Options
    dr. ghostdr. ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    vol. 1: great
    vol. 2: mediocre; not worth the delays. fucking whedon.

dr. ghost on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is Terry Moore any good? I haven't read anything else he's written.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    His first issue of Spider-Man <3's Mary Jane was great.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo is awesome, and while I've never read it Strangers in Paradise is supposed to be really good as well. I have hopes for his Runaways, just not sure on the art style.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dr. ghost wrote: »
    vol. 1: great
    vol. 2: mediocre; not worth the delays. fucking whedon.

whedon only wrote the last 6 issues of volume 2

the majority of volume 2 was still written by BKV

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I enjoyed volume 2 a lot more than 1, until Whedon did awful things to it.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • Options
    dr. ghostdr. ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    all i remember from volume 2 is that group from the early 1900s with powers.

dr. ghost on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    thats the last 6 issues of volume 2

the 24 or so issues previous to that were all Brian K Vaughn, and also part of Volume 2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Reading through Whedon's run in one sitting I would still say It's still pretty good but I do think the whole 'Wonders' sub-plot was really unnecessary, even if there were a few cool characters that came out of it. Of course the delays didn't help either when all the waiting didn't get us a really great story.

Honestly what I'm most looking forward to is that the damn book will hopefully come out monthly again.

to Starcross: If your talking about the first volume it picks up starting at issue 13 and leads into the final confrontation with The Pride. Vol. 2 is great all the way through though some do not like Whedon's run on the last 6 issues.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I love the giant hardcovers, but can't quite justify buying them at the moment.

If you're just getting started, you really should go with the hardcovers. They're actually cheaper exactly the same price if you buy from Amazon as buying the stuff that's included in the manga trades, and even if you buy from your local store and pay more the step up in quality is really worth it. The full sized, gorgeous art on quality paper is worth the price of admission alone, though if you want to read it in the smaller editions there's nothing wrong with that.

werehippy on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm totally going to pick up the first hardcover as soon as I have money

Might get Morrison's New X-Men first, though...

Marvel can only have so much of my money

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Is it just me or is Molly staring at Nico's tits in that first picture

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ...... So she is, thats a really disturbing facial expression she's got as well.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just got a super hardback version of this. Probably the greatest thing ever, I'm loving reading it.

Just out of curiosity...where is Arsenic in that character line-up? And why is Chase connected to Old Lace now?

Maybe I haven't gotten that far yet. o_O I now suspect death D: .

An-D on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    haha no, gert doesn't die

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The avatar makes that whole stream of consciousness post even better.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gert goes on to have a successful career as a superhero named Heroine who, in the future, will lead the Avengers.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gert goes on to have a successful career as a superhero named Heroine who, in the future, will lead the Avengers.
    That part was really silly.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jo Chen just has problems drawing fat people.

Adrian Alphona did, too though. She would go from being a little bit pudgy to being a giant circle with eyes between pages.

EDIT: Well, if you're gonna delete your post then this is really random.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's okay, i can see deleted posts, so i know what you're saying.

i think that cover artists must have a "no fat chicks" clause in their contracts, with exceptions for amanda waller

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Jo Chen just has problems drawing fat people.

Adrian Alphona did, too though. She would go from being a little bit pudgy to being a giant circle with eyes between pages.

EDIT: Well, if you're gonna delete your post then this is really random.
    I actually suspected that they killed her off because the cover artists got tired of having to constantly lie about what she looks like.

SERVO EDIT- Hey spoilers huh?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    You're a fucking liar.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

i think that cover artists must have a "no fat chicks" clause in their contracts, with exceptions for amanda waller
    That's because if you try to insinuate that Amanda Waller should lose weight, she murders you.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Sorry! This is like the 10th time I've done this.

In any case, I appreciated how much of a departure the Gert character was from the standard, and not just in terms of appearance.
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    You're a fucking liar.
    She could always return. I mean, pretty much all of the deus ex machina means of resurrection are present in the Runaways mythos.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

That's because if you try to insinuate that Amanda Waller should lose weight, she murders you.

well, probably not her personally. and probably nobody will know that you've been murdered. most likely, some men would get a manila envelope and then three days later your apartment is being lived in by someone else who your landlord swears has been there for two years and everybody you know gets a puzzling feeling like....someone they know...hasn't been around for a bit...buuuut oh well, there's work to do.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

well, probably not her personally. and probably nobody will know that you've been murdered. most likely, some men would get a manila envelope and then three days later your apartment is being lived in by someone else who your landlord swears has been there for two years and everybody you know gets a puzzling feeling like....someone they know...hasn't been around for a bit...buuuut oh well, there's work to do.
    Nah, if you call the Wall fat she takes care of you herself.

But the rest of that's right.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2008

In any case, I appreciated how much of a departure the Gert character was from the standard, and not just in terms of appearance.
    You're a fucking liar.
    She could always return. I mean, pretty much all of the deus ex machina means of resurrection are present in the Runaways mythos.

They had a way for her to come back in the newest story arc, but they didn't use it.
    Speaking of the end of that story arc, does anyone else feel like the spell Nico cast on Gert's parents was a bit excessive?

I love that episode of Justice League Unlimited where she's in the shower, and when she reaches for her bath towel Batman hands it to her.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You're a fucking liar.

They had a way for her to come back in the newest story arc, but they didn't use it.
    Speaking of the end of that story arc, does anyone else feel like the spell Nico cast on Gert's parents was a bit excessive?
    I really hope she never comes back. I was just not a fan of her at all.

As for the second point:
    Yeah, but that was the point. She was still all hopped up on whatever evil shit her (Great?) Grandmother did to her and the staff.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm not really looking forward to the Runaways What If? I mean, of all the things that could have gone differently for them, becoming a traditional teenage super-team seems like the least interesting alternative imaginable.
    Why not show what would have happened if Alex hadn't betrayed the team, or if they'd all gone along with their parents?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You're a fucking liar.

I really hope she never comes back. I was just not a fan of her at all.

You son of a bitch.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You son of a bitch.
    Assuming the series does go on in perpetuity, as BKV intended, everyone who dies is going to come back eventually.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    PadrePadre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I recently picked up the Whedon volume of Runaways and I was wondering:
    Is there any established difference between Nico's old staff and her new one?

I haven't read any of Terry Moore's other stuff, but I have high hopes of this upcoming Runaways series.

Padre on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Padre wrote: »
    So I recently picked up the Whedon volume of Runaways and I was wondering:
    Is there any established difference between Nico's old staff and her new one?

I haven't read any of Terry Moore's other stuff, but I have high hopes of this upcoming Runaways series.
    The only one I can think of off the top of my head is that it made her even more hardcore.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I forgot she even got a new one.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I forgot she even got a new one.

Same here, honestly it feels like its been a year since we had a Runaways story. Damn you Joss and your lateness.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm not really looking forward to the Runaways What If? I mean, of all the things that could have gone differently for them, becoming a traditional teenage super-team seems like the least interesting alternative imaginable.
    Why not show what would have happened if Alex hadn't betrayed the team, or if they'd all gone along with their parents?

I'm actually excited, but that's just because I want more Runaways dammit.
    Both of those would be pretty good (though I think the last one is just "Everyone but us dies. Why was this a good idea again?") but I think the problem is that Runaways unfortunately doesn't have enough pull. The book was basically already canceled once, and even now I think Young Avenger was selling a ton more books.

werehippy on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Am I wrong
    For wanting Alex back on the team? And, uh, alive? His betrayal felt really forced at the time.

And yes I've read the part where he's stuck in that white dimension.

Iriah on