As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excel Question - SOLVED!

reddogreddog The MountainBrooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I work in the concert industry and we keep records of the shows we book for each artist in Excel. I need your help guys. I have 3 columns: DATE, CITY, CONCERT VENUE

Currently they're all going in date order. What we want to see is how many times the band has played every city.

I know I can select the CITY column and with the click of a button it'll go in alphabetical order so we can see that they've played Memphis like 5 times. What I can't figure out is...how can I put it in alphabetical order by city but have the venues move with the cities (mind you the cities won't be in alphabetical order).

Help me H/A Forum...I need your help!

EDIT: THANKS GUYS!

reddog.png
reddog on

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure I understood the question, but doesn't this solve your problem: Just select the entire table, go to Data -> Sort, select City as the primary sorting criterion and Venue as secondary?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pivot Tables are your friend.

Step 1 - Highlight all the data to include the column heading

Step 2 - Select [Data] then [Pivot Table and Pivot Chart Report]

Step 3 - Follow instructions

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -Phil- wrote: »
    Pivot Tables are your friend.

Step 1 - Highlight all the data to include the column heading

Step 2 - Select [Data] then [Pivot Table and Pivot Chart Report]

Step 3 - Follow instructions

Sick!!!!!!

I credited the forums when I went to the managers :)

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    FozwazerusFozwazerus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait is this solved? Another solution is autofilter. I forget which drop down menu it is in because I don't have excel on this machine, but you can search for it in help.

Select all the items + 1 row above.

Select autofilter from drop down menu. (Possibly tools -> filter -> autofilter)

Done.

Little drop down menus will be added to the top row (the one that has no data in it). You can now select any column of data and sort by ascending order, descending order, make it just show one city, etc.

I don't know if my explanation was very good, but autofilter is the shit and is so easy once you know where it is.

Fozwazerus on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fozwazerus wrote: »
    Wait is this solved? Another solution is autofilter. I forget which drop down menu it is in because I don't have excel on this machine, but you can search for it in help.

Select all the items + 1 row above.

Select autofilter from drop down menu. (Possibly tools -> filter -> autofilter)

Done.

Little drop down menus will be added to the top row (the one that has no data in it). You can now select any column of data and sort by ascending order, descending order, make it just show one city, etc.

I don't know if my explanation was very good, but autofilter is the shit and is so easy once you know where it is.

Yeah it was solved but I tried this as well. Thanks everyone! The band's managers were very happy with the results.

reddog on
    reddog.png