Options

Quest for Glory 2 VGA release imminent

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WHAO!!!

Where can I get the copies of their King's Quest remakes?!?! I LOVED these games, me and a mate had a nostalgia weekend recently where we re-finished a few of our favorites!!!

LOVED the QFG series!!

They re-released a collection featuring KQ1-7 not too long ago (running on DOSBox) I'd say check Amazon.

I think he was talking about AGD's remakes... which seem to not be available right now? I dunno. The old site doesn't seem to be accessible right now, with the QFG2 remake taking center stage.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    WHAO!!!

Where can I get the copies of their King's Quest remakes?!?! I LOVED these games, me and a mate had a nostalgia weekend recently where we re-finished a few of our favorites!!!

LOVED the QFG series!!

They re-released a collection featuring KQ1-7 not too long ago (running on DOSBox) I'd say check Amazon.

I think he was talking about AGD's remakes... which seem to not be available right now? I dunno. The old site doesn't seem to be accessible right now, with the QFG2 remake taking center stage.
    Here's the answer to that question.
    http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198579#p198579

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So does this have a specific release date set? The OP says something about a countdown....

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love this series, but I could never play through III. I LOVED I and II. I kept the same character all the way through to III. I used a Fighter/Thief... however, when I imported him to III it made me choose a class. I still saddened to this day that they removed multiclassing. Part of what made that game so great was multiclassing. One dimensional classes are extremely boring.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Am I the only person who actually really liked III? It had its flaws, but the setting just intrigued me so much.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Am I the only person who actually really liked III? It had its flaws, but the setting just intrigued me so much.

The setting was cool... but being forced to change the way I fundamentally have played the game for two previous installments wasn't very appealing.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Not at all. I occasionally catch my myself humming the Awari song.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The setting was cool... but being forced to change the way I fundamentally have played the game for two previous installments wasn't very appealing.

You had to choose a class? I mean, you had to choose a class in the other ones, but you could always (in all the games) solve the puzzles using any of the skills you have.

I mean, aside from the honor thing for Paladins, I'm not sure what we're talking about here. :|

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You had to choose a class? I mean, you had to choose a class in the other ones, but you could always (in all the games) solve the puzzles using any of the skills you have.

I mean, aside from the honor thing for Paladins, I'm not sure what we're talking about here. :|
    Certain events, like the Leopardman village, can only be solved based on your class. You aren't given all the options. Unlike how in 2 you just needed the proper spells for W.I.T. to be able to do it, and not necessarily be a wizard.
    Edit: To be fair though, that started in 2 as only fighters could do the E.O.F. part.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    Mordrack wrote: »

Certain events, like the Leopardman village, can only be solved based on your class. You aren't given all the options. Unlike how in 2 you just needed the proper spells for W.I.T. to be able to do it, and not necessarily be a wizard.
    Edit: To be fair though, that started in 2 as only fighters could do the E.O.F. part.

I'm pretty sure that the end of 2 was like that as well.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Mordrack wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that the end of 2 was like that as well.
    QfG2 ending spoilers ahoy.
    Not the storming of the palace, if that's what you mean. I just played through as a wizard\thief and could do either the harem or magic my way through the front door. If you mean tackling Ad Avis, it depends on how you get to him.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked 3. It introduced the Paladin class to the series and used the shiny new graphics and hand-painted backgrounds, but there was a lot less to do in it than 1, 2 and 4. After playing 4 though, I kinda' figured they'd only made 3 as a way to explain why you ended up in Moldavia. It is a helluva lot smaller (in terms of length) than the other titles.

...was that the name of the place? If it is, holy crap - I can't believe I remembered. (Checks wiki...) Mordavia. Well pretty damn close >.<

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadows of Darkness was meant to take place after Trial by Fire, but the Coles thought the tonal transition too abrupt and instead worked in Wages of War.

Shadows of Darkness is an absolutely phenomenal game in terms of the backstory, rich playing experience, only marred by the somewhat buggy nature of the beast, but most of those problems have been fixed.

Dragonfire was great, but felt somewhat sterile after the handpainted work in 3 and 4, and the cartoony natures of 1 and 2.

I loved the Paladin storylines throughout the series. It's still my absolute alltime favourite game series, and I wish they'd bring back a similar adventure/RPG hybrid. Possibly in episodic form.

devoir on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Shadows of Darkness was meant to take place after Trial by Fire, but the Coles thought the tonal transition too abrupt and instead worked in Wages of War.

Shadows of Darkness is an absolutely phenomenal game in terms of the backstory, rich playing experience, only marred by the somewhat buggy nature of the beast, but most of those problems have been fixed.

4 just creeped me out when I was younger. I might be able to get more into it today, but that still leaves the issue of me hating the combat system they used.

3 is probably my favorite of the series, partially because it was the first one I was exposed to. But I think 2 was the high point of the series.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Dragonfire was great, but felt somewhat sterile after the handpainted work in 3 and 4, and the cartoony natures of 1 and 2.

I loved the Paladin storylines throughout the series. It's still my absolute alltime favourite game series, and I wish they'd bring back a similar adventure/RPG hybrid. Possibly in episodic form.

In episodic form where you can carry your character from game to game, of course! :)

I really liked Dragonfire too - but it doesn't quite stack up to the rest of the series for me. It was a great ender to the series in terms of tying stuff up and meeting all sorts of characters from previous games again. That said, I really disliked the combat. It was clunky as all hell. I know the series has never had really smooth engaging combat, but to me the controls in 5 just ruined it. 4's combat system may have been simpler, but it was a lot more enjoyable for me. I guess the thing that bugged me most about Dragonfire is that it had the worst combat in the series and was also the most combat-focused of the games. Not a good combination.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I guess the thing that bugged me most about Dragonfire is that it had the worst combat in the series and was also the most combat-focused of the games. Not a good combination.

The one trial where you had to into undead ville resulted in me saying "screw this" to myself and just running to my goal and then the exit as a train of skeletons and ghosts shambled after me. There was no way I was fighting all of that.

I also had a tendency to trivialize combat when I found out that if you have a stack of daggers and use the Zap spell on it, every dagger in the stack is enchanted until you throw or drop the very last one. I started carrying around 30 or more daggers to throw at enemies when I made that discovery and proceeded to annihilate everything in my path.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I was actually having a bit of a think about this yesterday. The way Dragon Age approaches the difference between normal play and combat is close to how I'd imagine a new take on Quest for Glory might work.

You'd have your adventure bits in a third person camera view, possibly pulled back and up a bit more than you get with something like Mass Effect. Then when you enter combat (just like the original series!) it swaps to a more isometric view.

And then the combat system would be more along the lines of the Witcher. With a reasonable amount of loot. Not crazy like Diablo or Titan Quest, but with a fair amount of depth and not so much random junk loot. For example, after killing a particular Goblin boss, you will always get a large two handed sword, but the precise enchantments on it might be randomised, so it might be fire and extra speed one time, or frost and better chance to parry another.

And yes, episodic with character imports. Here's hoping someone at Hothead is a fan of the series and might be looking to bring that kind of game back.

Oooh. And online for cooperative play... That'd make me happy. Incredibly impractical, but y'know.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I was actually having a bit of a think about this yesterday. The way Dragon Age approaches the difference between normal play and combat is close to how I'd imagine a new take on Quest for Glory might work.

You'd have your adventure bits in a third person camera view, possibly pulled back and up a bit more than you get with something like Mass Effect. Then when you enter combat (just like the original series!) it swaps to a more isometric view.

And then the combat system would be more along the lines of the Witcher. With a reasonable amount of loot. Not crazy like Diablo or Titan Quest, but with a fair amount of depth and not so much random junk loot. For example, after killing a particular Goblin boss, you will always get a large two handed sword, but the precise enchantments on it might be randomised, so it might be fire and extra speed one time, or frost and better chance to parry another.

And yes, episodic with character imports. Here's hoping someone at Hothead is a fan of the series and might be looking to bring that kind of game back.

Oooh. And online for cooperative play... That'd make me happy. Incredibly impractical, but y'know.

The only thing that would worry me about that is if they spent all tha time on combat to the detriment of the adventury portions. QfG5 is arguably more RPG than adventure, and that saddened me.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The balance is important, yes. Which is why I think it's somewhat impractical for it to be done properly in terms of time invested in getting the combat right, while still putting heavy emphasis on the adventure/roleplaying elements.

The first time I got through the bandit hideout in the original Hero's Quest was so awesome.

devoir on
  • Options
    MegaMan AddictMegaMan Addict Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Before I was a MegaMan Addict, I was a QFG Addict. I must have played through each game at least 5 times with each character class.

This news brings joy and light to my otherwise black and shriveled heart.

MegaMan Addict on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    4 just creeped me out when I was younger. I might be able to get more into it today, but that still leaves the issue of me hating the combat system they used.

How can you hate the combat? You could flip across the screen to attack the enemies like a fucking ninja!

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I spent the funner chunk of my childhood taking turns with brother playing Quest for Glory 1-3 and Ultima 7&8. Then getting into arguments over who's character could kick who's characters ass.

Ever notice how wonderful it is to zone into a game as a kid? Much harder to do as an adult (unless you're into marijuana (tee hee)).

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Here are some screen shots from the fan kit. In case anybody was interested.

agdiqfg209yv7.pngagdiqfg211fy9.png

agdiqfg202mh6.pngagdiqfg208sj7.jpg

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Those screens are wonderful! Man, I'm tempted to go play through the first game in preparation... it's so difficult to only play one game in this series. :P

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    AUGUST 24th! AGD's site finally updated with a release date. That's in two days, people!

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Today!

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sometime this evening Pacific time (UTC-8).
    http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12326

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Best part of QFG2.
    When entering the Vizeer's palace as a thief. You climb in through the window into a room FILLED wtih women. At first the Hero is taken aback, but then he quickly regains his composure, strikes his signature pose and woo's the hearts of many.

I. Love. This. Game.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm. It didn't get released and the message board was locked.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Hmm. It didn't get released and the message board was locked.

I guess now it's a matter of waiting for the site to redirect to a video of Rick Astley?

EDIT: I'm firing up DOSbox anyway, I've decided I want to replay the series with or without it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HOORAY IT'S HERE!

...a DIFFERENT PAGE!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    *woot*

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yay!!!!!!!!!

Simplified tunnel system option, eh? Intriguing.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    First impression - Game looks beautiful.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OH GOD IT'S OUT... OH GOD!

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Awesome. Keapon and Aziza both have magic games you can play.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    This .... this .....

/weeps openly

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh, ouch, combat is tough as a thief. I can beat Uhura in training but a bandit or scorpion destroys me. Probably should use a few training sessions solely for defensive skills.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The time limit is still the same as it was in the original, right? i.e., certain events have to be completed on certain days?

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]