Options

Quest for Glory 2 VGA release imminent

124»

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2008
    What was the copy protection in 3 again? 4 was the elemental recipe stuff I'm pretty sure and I don't think 1 had any outside of noting the whole thief sign thing.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You can select a simplified map layout without a ton of dead ends in the remake.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got DOSBOX to work with QFG1's remake in the anthology for Vista, and the sound quality was terrible. I guess I'll just play two again. It's still very valid.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    You can select a simplified map layout without a ton of dead ends in the remake.
    Yeah, and miss out on some sweet easter eggs. Just sayin'.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Question:

a) Is the x-ray glasses/endgame easter egg still in?
    b) Can you import and export saves using this remake?
    c) Was there an antwerp in one of the dead-ends in the original QFGII, or am I imagining that?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Question:

c) Was there an antwerp in one of the dead-ends in the original QFGII, or am I imagining that?
    Yes
    Yes
    No, you are imagining that.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Question:

Yes
    Yes
    No, you are imagining that.

Cool
    Cool
    Damn my crazy mind

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    There WAS an antwerp in a later QFG, though, wasn't there?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In IV there were baby antwerps.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Like when you made the antwerp bounce in QFG1 and held the sword up and it split into a million babytwerps?

Drez on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Right, Dr. Cranium says that he got those specimans from Spielburg because there was an antwerp population explosion.

Ok, Mordrack... I downloaded those patches and used them along with DosBox but I get some weird errors.
    Stuff like when my mouse is on the right side of the screen, Hero won't go all the way to the right. Also, click to move doesn't match with where I'm actually clicking. And then I get some where graphical glitches...

screen.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In your dosbox.conf file what does the output= line say under the sdl section?

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Surface. Should it be something else? like say, Ddraw?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Try overlay first.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmmm... same problem. is it because my savefile's corrupted? Or would that not have any effect?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Could be, does it persist with a new character? If it isn't a render problem it's likely to be either a problem with your save file or the games source files.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'll see what happens when I start a new guy. though the mouse problem is still perplexing.

So should we also mention about Famous Adventure's School for Heroes in this thread?

For those that don't know, Lori and Corey couldn't buy back the rights to the QfG games from Sierra so they decided to continue the story by using Interactive Fiction. FASH should have a website up by the end of the month. It takes place after QfG5 and the FA opens up a new school to train a new group of Heroes.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    I'll see what happens when I start a new guy. though the mouse problem is still perplexing.

So should we also mention about Famous Adventure's School for Heroes in this thread?

For those that don't know, Lori and Corey couldn't buy back the rights to the QfG games from Sierra so they decided to continue the story by using Interactive Fiction. FASH should have a website up by the end of the month. It takes place after QfG5 and the FA opens up a new school to train a new group of Heroes.

They're actually doing something with that after all these years? What about the novel?

Man, it's not like Activision cares about the sierra franchises anymore anyway...D:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, but it's probably a combination of A) they don't know they own it and 2) "IT'S MINE YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!"

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nocren... my dosbox config for QFG1 here is the display settings which is what I had to tweak to get it running smoothly... I did not install any patches:

*NOTE* I'm using D-Fend Reloaded front end. Also, why isn't there a site to download pre-configured conf files for these games? It's not like the dosbox library is growing or anything.

Window Res: 1920x1200
    Start in FS: Unchecked
    Double buffering: Checked
    Keep aspect ratio: Checked
    Render: Overlay
    Videocard: VGA
    Scale: Normal2x
    Frameskip: 0

I couldn't help but think the sound seems lower quality than I remember it, but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm expecting something better. I remember in the old days that if you didn't have the right soundblaster configuration, these games would sound like complete shit.

Anyhow, on to what I wanted to post. So QFG1 was one of the original RPGs I played growing up and I loved it dearly. Here I am at 27 playing it again and, after all the RPGs I've played in my life, I've gotten a chance to do some interesting comparisons. Here are some random things I've noticed:

- Stamina is done better in QFG1 than probably any other RPG series I've ever played. Whether you run, whether you try to stay awake all night or eat, whether you "grind", all of these things impact your stamina in an almost realistic fashion. Plus, running out of stamina in battle causing death is a very good dynamic - it really makes you regret running around like a dumbass.

- Time seems to function incredibly well. Want to climb the tree 500 billion times so you can grind your skills and stats? Well ok, but realize you're going to get exhausted and run out of daylight doing so. It's amazing how you find yourself managing time similar to what you would do in real life.

- Combat, I like how combat is incredibly basic yet still requires a decent amount of timing and input from the player. They've given you a manual dodge and if you time it right, it can work out OK for you. Different enemies have different wind up routines, kind of reminds me of fighting in Super Punch Out.

Those are the main things so far. I wish some of the RPG genre had followed in QFG's foot steps. Once I beat QFG1, I can start that fresh new QFG2 :D

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png