As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good movies for a 5 year old?

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend has her niece here for the weekend, who is almost 5 years old. What are some good movies we could rent that me and my girlfriend won't hate watching? She's seen everything pixar, and that bee movie. I was thinking Spiderwick Chronicles, but is that movie for a slightly older audience? What about the Harry Potter movies?

chuck steak on

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Get My Neighbor Totoro by Miyazaki. It's absolutely wonderful!

Other than that, how about some classic Disney? Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, they're all good family movies.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Spiderwick no. Go with whatever Disney fairytale you like.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Harry Potter movies are way too dark for a five year old, imo.

I really find that a lot of "kid's movies" these days just rub me the wrong way. They're frenetic and hammy and try too hard to appeal to adults as well by including all manner of sly in-jokes and pop culture references. Shrek is a perfect example of this: the first one wasn't too bad, but the sequels have just slid further and further into self-aware idiocy, substituting irony and sarcasm and flash for any sort of actual plot or message.

So, my recommendations tend to be a bit older... but these are all movies that I would still enjoy watching today.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original, not the creepy-as-fuck Depp version)
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks/Mary Poppins/Pete's Dragon/any of the fun old live-action-with-animation stuff
    The Neverending Story
    The Wizard of Oz
    The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (ideally the cartoon version, which was most faithful to the book)
    The Sound of Music
    Labyrinth (I don't fucking care what age you are, if you don't grin during "Magic Dance" you have no soul)
    Star Wars, Episode IV

Kate of Lokys on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lion King!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • RainOPainRainOPain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Iron Giant

RainOPain on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    physi_marc wrote: »

Other than that, how about some classic Disney? Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, they're all good family movies.

May I also suggest some Pixar: Heck, pick any Pixar movie, they're all good family fun.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

While any Disney movie would suffice, I endorse Classic Disney (like, Aladdin 1 yes, Aladdin 2 and 3 no. Seriously, I watched them again with some friends a while ago, Aladdin 1 was honestly captivating.... not so much for the other two.) Also, anything by Studio Ghibli would be enjoyable for all of you, I'd say.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yea, Pixar.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Benji

Meiz on
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Great suggestions here already. Also:

- The Adventures of Milo & Otis
    - Charlotte's Web
    - Chicken Run
    - Babe
    - The Secret Garden
    - E.T.

onceling on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guys, the object of the game is to avoid Pixar.

And I can't believe Kate remembered Pete's fucking Dragon, but forgot The Land Before Time. That's a beatin'. >_>

wasted pixels on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He's already been mentioned but definitely any movies by Miyazaki. I'm especially partial to Spirited Away, I gave a copy to my 5 yr old niece and she cherished it, absolutely loved watching it over and over. And it has a neat little message tucked away in there too.

Dark_Side on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guys, the object of the game is to avoid Pixar.

And I can't believe Kate remembered Pete's fucking Dragon, but forgot The Land Before Time. That's a beatin'. >_>
    Oh, that's it. I'm going to make you cry for that.
    :whistle:If we hold on together,
    I know our dreams will never die.
    Dreams see us through to forever,
    Where clouds roll by, for you and I.:whistle:

"Littlefoot... let your heart guide you. It whispers, so listen closely..."
    "Mother... ? Mother?"

Kate of Lokys on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh God I totally skipped over that Pixar sentance. Sorry.

Princess Bride?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seconding the Iron Giant.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

A very good movie. Very cute and well told. Plus, I totally wanna ride in a cat bus. It looks soooo comfy!

Underdog on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Great Mouse Detective

KalTorak on
  • Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thumbelina.

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Swan Princess.

Kilroy on
  • focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Over the Hedge

focused7 on
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    School of Rock.

Boutros on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll second anything by Pixar and almost any Disney cartoon from the 90s.

I think when I was 5 I was watching Star Trek: The Next Generation as it aired, though... which probably explains a lot about me.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Labyrinth (I don't fucking care what age you are, if you don't grin during "Magic Dance" you have no soul)
    This movie is kinda dark for an almost five year old, no matter how much she may or may not remind him of the babe.

Oh, there's a good one. Babe.

Raggaholic on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I second the Miyazaki if only for the fact that it seems a universal trait of kids in the age range of 4-6 is that they will watch the same damn movie over and over and over again. My wife's boss's kid had seen The Sound of Music well over 100 times before moving on.

So either pick a movie that you yourself could stand seeing a couple times in a row, or pick something that you want to hate after spending a weekend watching it over and over and over again.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery day. That thing STILL rocks.

Though the Heffalump sequences might be a little scary.

ANTVGM64 on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was recently watching ET again and remembered how much I like it. There might be some bits that are a little scary but it's a movie that gets kids. Plus it's a crime if anyone hasn't seen that movie.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Any cartoon works on my 4 year old niece really. Just no scary images like in Last Unicorn for example.

LondonBridge on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    how has no-one mentioned an American tail? or FernGully? or anything by Don Bluth

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Finding Nemo! Worked well on my coworker's 5-year old. He didn't get most of the jokes of course, but that hardly mattered.

I'd avoid showing Lion King to a five year old. I saw Bambi at that age and, well, let's just say that a movie that involves your parents getting killed is not so easily digested at that age.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I saw Land before time and Bambi as a young kid and the lion king a bit later, and while I really cried, I wasn't traumatised for life because of this. in fact I would forget about the dead parents as soon as something really funny happened.

and I'm thirding or whatever Disney movies and Studio Ghibli. (see Lilo&Stitch! it's really fun and my nephew adored it when he was about 4)

Nataneko on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a 5 year old and he has watched "The Gonnies" about 15,000 times in 2 days (I know that isn't literally possible). That would be my suggestion. You may wanna check with the parents first though 'casue they drop a few "S bombs".

brandotheninjamaster on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Goonies is a bit language-heavy for a little kid.

I have only two, and they are movies I still enjoy to this day: The Fox and the Hound, and An American Tail: Fievel Goes West.

Silvoculous on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie. I'm not actually religious but I LOVE Veggie Tales. A Snoodles Tale makes me cry every time.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Sword in the Stone

Kingthlayer on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    The Great Mouse Detective

This was always my absolute favourite. It might be a bit scary at times (I was freaking out at the clock tower scene at that age) or maybe even a little inappropriate (there's a bar fight scene) but the Rube Goldberg device was the most awesome thing ever, among other things.

Aladdin and Iron Giant are great, too.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Great Mouse Detective, Iron Gian, and Aladdin especially are totally seconded.

In addition, allow me to recommend The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under.

ANTVGM64 on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Iron Giant.

Seriously, I loved that movie.

zanmatto on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you go and rent all of the land before time movies, you'll be set for a good long while. There is also Ice Age 1 & 2. Little kids like Skret (pretty sure that's his name) right?
    There is also the Disney non-Pixar CG movies. Though the only one I can think of is Dinosaur. At least pretty sure that was non-Pixar.

Just about anything Muppet. Personal Preference would say anything up until the 90s with Christmas Carol and Treasure Island. The newer straight to TV/DVD stuff I can't stand, but might be worth trying. I don't know how easy it would be to find, but the Muppet fairy tale stuff would most likely be good. I know there were a few, but all I can think of off of the top of my head is Frog Prince. It might also work to just rent the Muppet Show.

KurnDerak on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    my sister loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit at that age. it's a nice plus because it's really an adult movie. and a great one at that.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uhh.. The Jungle Book?

I loved that movie when I was a kid. I think I need to see it again though.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif