Options

College Football -Who's your damn Alma Mater?

• Options
    sevencursessevencurses Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Looks like Crompton's getting the start for this game. At least, that's what it sounded like on sports talk yesterday. I like this. We can't contend for a title anyway. We might as well get our starter healthy and get our freshman phoneme some playing time against two of the better teams in the conference. I still don't think we can win though. Arkansas wants respect for the season they're having and UT is beaten all to shit right now.

Oh and good job to Rutgers last night. The talk last night on the radio was that you could go ahead and mark their coach as the next coach of Miami.

sevencurses on
    I like my women like I like my coffee: COVERED IN BEES...
  • Options
    MiracleManSMiracleManS __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    HELL FUCKING YES!! RUTGERS WON!!

Texas is now on top to go back for the NC!!

It's gonna be rough unless the SEC beats up on itself I think.

MiracleManS on
    goldfishsig.jpg
  • Options
    YggdrasillYggdrasill Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd just like you to know, there was dancing in the streets here last night at Rutgers, and that was just about the most amazing game I've ever seen.

Yggdrasill on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Motherfrickin' Sooners, man! WOOO!

I miss hockey

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    HELL FUCKING YES!! RUTGERS WON!!

Texas is now on top to go back for the NC!!

It's gonna be rough unless the SEC beats up on itself I think.

Yeah. If Florida wins out, I don't know how you keep them out of the title game. I mean, Texas is good but they had a shot at Ohio State and they lost. At home. If they were just a one loss team that would be one thing but they lost at home to the team they'd be playing.

sevencurses on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Rutgers defense just flat out exploded late in that game.

and Rice... man, crazy

ShimSham on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I quit watching at halftime, how'd the Rutgers pull it off?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I honestly think if Texas were to play Ohio State again they would do alot better. The team really seems to have hit a groove lately whereas OSU is just coasting. When Texas played Ohio State the first time Texas looked sloppy as hell (not that OSU didn't play well too, just saying).

Oh, and Auburn sucks.

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Chief1138 wrote:
    I honestly think if Texas were to play Ohio State again they would do alot better. The team really seems to have hit a groove lately whereas OSU is just coasting. When Texas played Ohio State the first time Texas looked sloppy as hell (not that OSU didn't play well too, just saying).

Oh, and Auburn sucks.

How is beating Nebraska by 2 after needing to force a last second fumble and having to mount a 17 point comeback against TT before beating a mediocre OSU team a "groove"? Texas is a good team but Florida and other SEC teams should get a shot in the NC before them

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the winner of the Cal / USC game would also be a better alternative

Roanth on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Auburn sucks? The Auburn from the SEC right? Are you crazy? They have one of the best teams in the country. Their only loss was to the only undefeated (in conference) team in the SEC. Say what you want but any team that doesn't lose a conference game in the SEC is a fucking beast and if the worst Auburn does this season is lose to that team, they've earned a spot as one of the better teams in the nation. I don't think they should be going to a title game or anything but they're easily a top 10 team.

And yes UT is a good team but it's the same thing as the Ohio State-Michigan game this weekend. If Mich loses a very close game by, like, a last second field goal or something, they will probably still have a shot to get into the title game. If OSU loses, they'll probably don't. If you can't defend your home field in a game that big, you don't get to play for the National Title. Plus, Texas' schedule isn't nearly as strong as Florida.

sevencurses on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    How is beating Nebraska by 2 after needing to force a last second fumble and having to mount a 17 point comeback against TT before beating a mediocre OSU team a "groove"? Texas is a good team but Florida and other SEC teams should get a shot in the NC before them

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the winner of the Cal / USC game would also be a better alternative

True. But aside from those two games they've pretty much annihilated every team they've faced. OSU has done well too obviously, all I'm saying is that OSU's last game proves that they aren't invincible, either.

And my comment about Auburn doesn't really have anything to do with how good they are as a team. I lived in Alabama for 7 years and had to listen to their noisy, arrogant fans the entire time. I hate them. With a passion. My parents, who still live there, get to experience "Auburn fever" first hand, and they say that the team's own fans admit they've just been lucky. They're all waiting for things to come crashing down.

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Fair enough. I thought you were making the argument that Florida lost to a shitty team. Yeah, I know how it can be when you live in an area where everyone's wrapped up in a team you're not a fan of. Here in Knoxville, most of the people who aren't UT fans hate the Vols with every fiber of their being. They're easy to spot too. They're the ones rolling their eyes every time Rocky Top is played.

As far as the wheels falling off at Auburn, I'm not sure that'll happen any time soon. Their last two games are against Georgia and Alabama. Both are having very down years. I guess we'll find out how good they are when bowl season rolls around.

sevencurses on
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Bogey wrote:
    Lord Dave wrote:
    My parents have 4 season tickets, and we usually get first dibs.
    Probably won't bother with SC either.
    Please sell them to me. We want to go so bad!

i want one!

i have a ticket for me, but i wouldnt mind one for a friend who didnt get one!

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Huskers are going to put it right in A&Ms ass tomorrow.

Jester313 on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Roanth wrote:
    Chief1138 wrote:

Oh, and Auburn sucks.

I've explained this on about 3 other boards today, and I'm exhausted because I've gotten 1 hour of sleep in the last 48 hours, so I'll give the short version, and if you have any questions I can expand.

First up - margin of victory is not calculated into the BCS. a 1 point victory holds as much weight as 90 point victory.

Second up, a team only needs 2/3 of the poll to go to the BCS #1 vs #2. Texas could be 6 in the BCS, but if they were 2 in both the harris and the coaches poll, they'd go above the remaining 4 teams in the BCS poll. And this is exactly what is happening (Texas is 3 in both harris and coaches). The reason for this is two fold:
    -No other team can claim their only loss was to the number 1 team
    -Colt McCoy

Our QB liability has actually become one of the best chances for us to get into the NC game again. ESPN is practically rolling around in semen at the hype of a "heisman worthy mccoy" getting another shot at OSU. McCoy is currently #4 in most heisman polls. This translates into very solid numbers from the harris and the coaches poll.

Finally, the difference between florida and texas is .002. SOS and opponents SOS is where texas will seperate from florida. In a prime example of how fucked up the BCS is, texas' remaining SOS is actually better than Florida's. Florida plays SC, Western Carolina, Florida State, and then a (presumably) 11th ranked Arkansas. Not too shabby.

By contrast, Texas plays KState, #24 A&M, and presumably nebraska again. Here's how florida gets fucked up - it's more benifitial to play 2 medicore teams and a lower-25 team than 3 piss poor teams and a top 15 team. This is because, within the BCS, rank doesn't count nearly as much as SOS and win/loss. This is where A&M and Nebraska really helps the horns. A&M will be 9-3 at the absolute worse, and Nebraska will be 8-4 at the worse. A&M's good record helps up, and nebraska's SOS helps us. Even though they lost to USC, just having them on their schedule helps us For example, texas has the 9th toughest SOS in the nation simply because we played OSU.

Florida fans should be worried, not texas fans. We're on schedule to over take them. Where Texas fans should worry is USC - if they win out, they will EASILY take the 2 spot in the BCS, maybe even leap frogging michigan before T+1. If this happens, it becomes a question as to which storyline will the media go for - the modern day dynasty continuing it's quest towards a decade of dominance, or a tie-breaker between Texas-OSU for all the marbles. I honestly don't know which the media would go for more, especially given the love that USC gets.

So, to sum it up: Florida isn't a problem for Texas, USC winning is.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Auburn is getting spanked right now...hehehe

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Chief1138 wrote:

Which network? I've been looking?

Also, have you seen ESPN's commercial for us?

Normally, they say "College football lives here" and show teams highlights.

Texas has their own commercial, it shows Colt McCoy highlights and says "Freshman Phenom lives here"

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Chief1138 wrote:

Texas has their own commercial, it shows Colt McCoy highlights and says "Freshman Phenom lives here"

ABC. And yes, auburn's losing pretty bad.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Chief1138 wrote:

I don't think it was on around here (I assume you live in Austin?). And yeah, they just lost 37-15. Lousy game, but I had a feeling it would happen sooner or later.

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    ShieuxShieux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oklahoma State beat the crap out of Baylor today. If we can get over the hump and beat Texas Tech in Lubbock, this year's Bedlam match could show which team is second best in the Big 12.

Shieux on
    shilias1c.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Chief1138 wrote:
    Chief1138 wrote:

I don't think it was on around here (I assume you live in Austin?). And yeah, they just lost 37-15. Lousy game, but I had a feeling it would happen sooner or later.

Yeah, I'm in west campus on 24th and shoal creek.

It's been shown a few times in Austin, but I'm in houston this weekend because the horns play an away game. Visiting the folks and all.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Shieux wrote:
    Oklahoma State beat the crap out of Baylor today. If we can get over the hump and beat Texas Tech in Lubbock, this year's Bedlam match could show which team is second best in the Big 12.

I assume you mean big XII south, right?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ShieuxShieux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shieux wrote:

I assume you mean big XII south, right?

Yes and no. While the loser of the Big 12 championship game will be the official second place, we all know that four or five teams from the south would have a chance to win the north.

Shieux on
    shilias1c.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Roanth wrote:
    Chief1138 wrote:

Oh, and Auburn sucks.

I've explained this on about 3 other boards today, and I'm exhausted because I've gotten 1 hour of sleep in the last 48 hours, so I'll give the short version, and if you have any questions I can expand.

First up - margin of victory is not calculated into the BCS. a 1 point victory holds as much weight as 90 point victory.

Second up, a team only needs 2/3 of the poll to go to the BCS #1 vs #2. Texas could be 6 in the BCS, but if they were 2 in both the harris and the coaches poll, they'd go above the remaining 4 teams in the BCS poll. And this is exactly what is happening (Texas is 3 in both harris and coaches). The reason for this is two fold:
    -Colt McCoy

Our QB liability has actually become one of the best chances for us to get into the NC game again. ESPN is practically rolling around in semen at the hype of a "heisman worthy mccoy" getting another shot at OSU. McCoy is currently #4 in most heisman polls. This translates into very solid numbers from the harris and the coaches poll.

Finally, the difference between florida and texas is .002. SOS and opponents SOS is where texas will seperate from florida. In a prime example of how fucked up the BCS is, texas' remaining SOS is actually better than Florida's. Florida plays SC, Western Carolina, Florida State, and then a (presumably) 11th ranked Arkansas. Not too shabby.

By contrast, Texas plays KState, #24 A&M, and presumably nebraska again. Here's how florida gets fucked up - it's more benifitial to play 2 medicore teams and a lower-25 team than 3 piss poor teams and a top 15 team. This is because, within the BCS, rank doesn't count nearly as much as SOS and win/loss. This is where A&M and Nebraska really helps the horns. A&M will be 9-3 at the absolute worse, and Nebraska will be 8-4 at the worse. A&M's good record helps up, and nebraska's SOS helps us. Even though they lost to USC, just having them on their schedule helps us For example, texas has the 9th toughest SOS in the nation simply because we played OSU.

Florida fans should be worried, not texas fans. We're on schedule to over take them. Where Texas fans should worry is USC - if they win out, they will EASILY take the 2 spot in the BCS, maybe even leap frogging michigan before T+1. If this happens, it becomes a question as to which storyline will the media go for - the modern day dynasty continuing it's quest towards a decade of dominance, or a tie-breaker between Texas-OSU for all the marbles. I honestly don't know which the media would go for more, especially given the love that USC gets.

I have a hard time seeing USC leapfrogging to number 2, considering their hard ass last lap of games. Oregon, Cal, Notre Dame, UCLA. It's going to be tough for them to pull up all wins, especially when many of their games to less competitive teams have been so close (Washington, Wash St, Oregon St).

I really cant wait for Michigan versus Ohio State. That is going to be a hell of a game. (Im going with Ohio State)

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    woops no national championship for Cal now

fuckin arizona

they dont even deserve to have their name capitalized in this post

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    wombat wrote:
    Roanth wrote:
    Chief1138 wrote:

Oh, and Auburn sucks.

-Colt McCoy

I have a hard time seeing USC leapfrogging to number 2, considering their hard ass last lap of games. Oregon, Cal, Notre Dame, UCLA. It's going to be tough for them to pull up all wins, especially when many of their games to less competitive teams have been so close (Washington, Wash St, Oregon St).

I really cant wait for Michigan versus Ohio State. That is going to be a hell of a game. (Im going with Ohio State)

Thats what I'm saying. If USC beats Oregon, Cal, and Notre Dame, I think they'll leapfrog #2.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    wombat wrote:
    woops no national championship for Cal now

fuckin arizona

they dont even deserve to have their name capitalized in this post

Hell yeah! This helps Texas, because it lowers cal, which lowers USC's SOS.

Just for shits, here's an idea I came up with for a playoff system:

First up, it'd require a redivision of the conferences. Redivide conferences 1A into 14 16-team super conferences. Further divide each super conference into 4 divisions - north, south, east, and west.

Each year consists of playing all the teams in your division, then playing 1 team from each other division in your super conference, for a total of 6 games to begin with. Then each team has either the option of playing 2 out of conference games, or 1 out of conference game and 1 dedicated out-of-division rivalry game. I.E. if, say, OU and Nebraska were in the same super conference, but OU was in the south, and Nebraska was in the north, they could give up one of their OOC games to make nebraska a dedicated rivalry game.

After these 8 games, there is a NCAA-wide bye week for all teams. The top team in each conference is chosen by win-loss. That is, number 1 is the team with the best record. Ties are handled by head-to-head match ups. So, for example, if Texas and Texas A&M were both 7-1, but Texas had beat A&M, they'd go above A&M to be the number 1 in the conference. If there is no head-to-head to decide the number 1, a tie-breaker game will be played during the bye week. If, after the tie breakers, there is still confusion, number 1 is decided by margin of victories. So, if a conference has 4 tied teams, and none of them have head-to-head, then 2 tie breakers will be played within the conference during the bye week, and the team which wins the biggest between the 2 teams that played tie breakers will go as the number 1

after the bye week, play-offs start. the 16 conference leaders go into 8 bowl games for round one. Winners of these bowl games go onto 4 bowl games for round two. Winners of these bowl games go to 2 bowl games for the semi-finals. The winners of these go onto the championship game.

Total games played in the year - 12, with a 13th possible for tie breaker. Could easily fit into the current schedule, and it'd be a truely equal playing field.

What do yall think?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tennessee's not looking too good so far. I thought they'd lose but I didn't think it would be this bad. Fuck this McFadden asshole. He's killing us.

sevencurses on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Christ, I hope Colt is able to get back in to the game soon. This Snead guy is making me nervous...

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tennessee's not looking too good so far. I thought they'd lose but I didn't think it would be this bad. Fuck this McFadden asshole. He's killing us.

McFadden for Heisman.

Go Hogs!

rhylith on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm glad to see UofM continuing their fine tradition of fucking people's shit up.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    God, I feel sick. Come on Colt.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Why I'm worried:

1. They just announced Colt is out for the rest of the game
    2. Both touchdowns they've scored since Colt was taken out were due to blocked punts.

I have zero confidence in Snead.

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Jesus Christ. What a fucking embarassment.

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Snead is a completely different QB than McCoy. He is a dual threat QB. We recruited him with the idea that he'd continue our insane running game.

Colt is the most prolific passer in Texas history. ur offense has already changed around him. Jamaal charles and Selvin Young are taking backseats to Jermichael finley and Limas Sweed.

It takes time to switch from a running team to a passing team. I hope we can pull this off, because this is fucking scary.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

you're right, he did kill you :D

snap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Snead is a completely different QB than McCoy. He is a dual threat QB. We recruited him with the idea that he'd continue our insane running game.

Colt is the most prolific passer in Texas history. ur offense has already changed around him. Jamaal charles and Selvin Young are taking backseats to Jermichael finley and Limas Sweed.

It takes time to switch from a running team to a passing team. I hope we can pull this off, because this is fucking scary.

Yeah. Too bad that is not working for us. Thank God Freeman is out, maybe that will slow them down.

EDIT: Uh, nevermind. Looks like he's back in. Sigh...

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    MendozaMendoza Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Interception converted. We got this guys

Mendoza on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!

Come on Snead!

TheSonicRetard on