As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Safe to go from XP to Vista?

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Could you post the link to the page the pics are on (it won't allow direct viewing from links) ?

I'll hop in the game and tool around a bit, see what I can notice.

I'll also give Alky's DX10 libraries a shot later tonight, be interesting to see if they've come along at all.

edit: thanks for the link

Ego on
    Erik
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The pictures linked are from this page of a Crysis tweak guide. 3/4 down the page.

Dehumanized on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone here know if I use this Windows Transfer Tool, will it transfer over my Zune library?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    -considerably less retarded networking.

Wait, what? The networking controls in vista are pretty much the only thing in it that I truly, truly hate. They made it about 1000% more difficult to get to simple functions that were 2 clicks away. If I could have Vista with XP networking I'd have the perfect OS.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

Wait, what? The networking controls in vista are pretty much the only thing in it that I truly, truly hate. They made it about 1000% more difficult to get to simple functions that were 2 clicks away. If I could have Vista with XP networking I'd have the perfect OS.

Yeah, I can only assume he was talking about the functionality not the interface. Because the interface blows ass now. For just about anything you could possibly want to do, add 2-3 clicks. 3-4 if you have UAC turned on, of course.

mcdermott on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

Yes, as mcdermott said, not at all the interface, just functionality. In general the interface for everything control-panel-ish got worse in Vista IMO or at least considerably more obscure. But the actual networking works much better.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Does anyone here know if I use this Windows Transfer Tool, will it transfer over my Zune library?
    It should transfer everything over. In the chance that something does go wrong you can use this free tool. http://www.supershareware.com/info/zune-corrupt-disk-mode-recovery-tool.html

Dark Shroud on
  • prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ToyD wrote: »
    My PC is more than good enough.

Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2ghz
    8800gt
    3gb (actually 4gb in there) DDR2 ram

I don't see this mentioned yet, but if you actually want to use that last gb of ram, go to vista 64 bit.

I was surprised this wasn't the first thing mentioned when he said he had 4gb RAM.
    If it was previously mentioned I'm sorry D:

There's no valid reason not to get 64-bit Vista from what the OP told us. I've been using it for almost a year and have had zero problems, I enjoy its appearance, functionality and DX10 without any fiddling. Win.

Like someone else said do a fresh install...

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
    edited August 2008
    Done and done.

I'm surprised at how damn fast this is. Got all my Thunderbird, Firefox and Zune sorted out nicely. Now I'm just going through and installing apps one by one :)

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Done and done.

I'm surprised at how damn fast this is. Got all my Thunderbird, Firefox and Zune sorted out nicely. Now I'm just going through and installing apps one by one :)

Glad to hear you're liking it. I find the search bar in the start menu invaluable. I never need to scour the start menu again for programs*.

*Except when I use my XP machine.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Done and done.

Glad to hear you're liking it. I find the search bar in the start menu addictive. I never need to scour the start menu again for programs*.

*Except when I use my XP machine.

Such easily accessible (one key) search makes it hard when using older OSes. I usually get halfway through the search string before I realize it's not working.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can always use Launchy to get similar (but not identical) functionality in older versions of Windows.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RBach wrote: »
    You can always use Launchy to get similar (but not identical) functionality in older versions of Windows.

Launchy is awesome, don't get me wrong. We use it at work where we have XP.

However, the indexing service for Vista is vastly better.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I did say similar... :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    I must say, I will probably never ever go back to XP now. Vista runs so damn smoothly on my PC, it's great.

COD4 also runs perfectly, all settings up high.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    RBach wrote: »

Launchy is awesome, don't get me wrong. We use it at work where we have XP.

However, the indexing service for Vista is vastly better.

Windows Desktop Search 4.0 was just released for Vista & XP. You guys should give it a try if you're still running a flavor of XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowssearch4.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157

Dark Shroud on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been working in a PC repair/build place for about six months now and, thinking about it, I have heard nothing bad about Vista except from people who haven't tried it, usually in a context of "Would you like Windows Vista or XP on your computer?" "Oh fuck Vista man am I right?!?"

Vista also makes my job a hell of a lot easier - takes half an hour to install, then you just leave it for a while and when you come back it's downloaded all your drivers and updates and SP1 if applicable. Then you just update the video drivers if it's an ATI or Nvidia card and away give the box back to the customer. And I have far fewer customers with Vista bringing their box back with the same virus we reformatted over anyway.

LaCabra on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you've got the space, I'd recommend going dual-boot with XP and Vista for awhile. It'll still require you to reinstall your apps, but you can take your time and get used to the thing (or delete it if you hate it). The Vista installer makes it relatively easy to do.

Also, the Vista team has been doing blogging about cool ass features in Vista lately. Only two that I really noticed, but the previews in Explorer thing is great, and the previous versions feature is something I didn't know about but which is also cool as hell. And the photo management stuff, which isn't technically an OS thing, but I avoided in favor of Picasa which I'm used to, is also brilliantly made. Then again, Vista is just XP with a new UI. Overall, the more I find out about it, the more I'm sorry I have to have that stupid XP partition (for some old ass GPIB hardware I need for work).

DigDug2000 on
    edited August 2008
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Then again, Vista is just XP with a new UI.
    Not even close. There are major under the hood changes. Vista doesn't even use the same kernel or code base as XP. Pre SP1 Vista used the Server 2003 Kernel. Vista SP1 uses the same kernel & code base as Server 2008. Which is also what Windows7 is currently being built with.

EDIT: Those recent security problems that were supposedly going to destory Vista. Yeah not much at all.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080811-the-sky-isnt-falling-a-look-at-a-new-vista-security-bypass.html

Dark Shroud on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think that was that sarcasm stuff.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    It's hard to say...

LaCabra on
  • mazelonmazelon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am getting along with Vista just fine but I was skeptical so I just installed both. I installed Vista on my 80gig Raptor prime drive and Xp on my Seagate 750 storage drive. It takes a little bit to manipulate the Boot menu to show both OSs (you have to do it manually... *sigh*) but it works great in the end. Some less supported programs still run better in XP so I just restart and play in XP when needed but I use Vista mostly now.

mazelon on
    edited August 2008
    mazelon wrote: »
    I am getting along with Vista just fine but I was skeptical so I just installed both. I installed Vista on my 80gig Raptor prime drive and Xp on my Seagate 750 storage drive. It takes a little bit to manipulate the Boot menu to show both OSs (you have to do it manually... *sigh*) but it works great in the end. Some less supported programs still run better in XP so I just restart and play in XP when needed but I use Vista mostly now.

Dualbooting XP and Vista goes smoothly providing you install XP first, then Vista. XP's bootloader just overwrites Vista's and doesn't give you a menu whereas Vista automatically adds a boot selection menu with Vista as the default. However if something goes wrong either way you can use VistaBootPro from XP or Vista to sort shit out

LaCabra on
  • SpiralStairsSpiralStairs Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    this is probably an incredibly stupid question, but i'll give it a shot anyway.

one of my housemates has a vista disc, and i'm itching to give it a go before i cough up the cash for my own version. would there be any ill effects to him or me if i borrowed his disc (and i guess, key code - they do still have those, right?) to install and play with for a few days ? i don't want a big message appearing on his screen the second i connect to the internet saying that his hard drive will self destruct in 5 seconds.

SpiralStairs on
    edited August 2008
    Nope, you don't need his key. When you install, it will ask for a product key. Just click "next", and then "No" when it asks if you'd like to enter a product key. It will give you a thirty day free trial of whatever version of Vista you want. At the end of that you can type "slgmr -rearm" in the start menu for another thirty days.

LaCabra on
    edited August 2008
    oh cute. and it will be fully functional, and allow me to install sp2 and such ?

SpiralStairs on
    edited August 2008
    Vista is only at SP1 at the moment. I don't see why it wouldn't let you install SP1.

The version I bought already had SP1 integrated.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    right yeah, sp1. well i guess i'll give it a go. seems a bit crazy you can just keep resetting it like that, but hey ho.

cheers.

SpiralStairs on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, it was surprisingly easy for me too when i took the plunge.

Sure there were little things I could (or other people already have) whined about, but Vista is the next system. You can't play some of your old XP games (like Beyond Good & Evil), but oh well. I do like the more stable platform I'm playing on though. (zomg, i can alt-tab out of tf2 now) Though, I'm hearing raves about the Vista Search... and I guess I'm just not impressed. I think I'm just spoiled by QuickSilver for OS X and its speed.

Though, honestly, I'm not sure if I would've been willing to shell out 100+ for Vista. I got mine through school's academic software bit.

Arminas on
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    right yeah, sp1. well i guess i'll give it a go. seems a bit crazy you can just keep resetting it like that, but hey ho.

cheers.

I believe you can only do this 3 times, extending your total trial time to 120 days. Also, there was a little typo in LaCarbra's post. Make sure you use slmgr instead of slgmr.

Anyway, I can't say I'm a fan of Vista... there are just a lot of little things that shit me... there's one kind of big thing I guess... Aero. Honestly, am I the only one here who thinks it's hideous?

Trentus on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Trentus wrote: »
    I believe you can only do this 3 times, extending your total trial time to 120 days. Also, there was a little typo in LaCarbra's post. Make sure you use slmgr instead of slgmr.

Anyway, I can't say I'm a fan of Vista... there are just a lot of little things that shit me... there's one kind of big thing I guess... Aero. Honestly, am I the only one here who thinks it's hideous?
    Yes. :D

*e: you can turn Aero off IIRC.

Aldo on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

Yes. :D

*e: you can turn Aero off IIRC.
    *nods vigourously* I love Aero - to me, it looks far better than Luna and all the various variations of Aqua. Not that I actually use it, though. I have a nice, dark Win Classic theme I keep by my side at all times.

Cyvros on
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can turn it off, but the classic theme just doesn't cut it for me any more (I thought it was awesome in win2000, but now I want more... just not Aero). I'm not going to say that I think Luna was much better, but I did like the custom themes a lot more than the ones I've seen for Vista (I guess I just need to give the theemers a bit more time).

Aqua has really started to come along since about 10.3... they slowly started to do away with all that pinstripe crap, and now we don't have any. Now it's a clean and mostly consistent UI... I guess you can tell which my fave is...

The Windows default theme has always looked kinda tacky to me (XP and Aero especially). I always managed to find something simple, elegant and clean in custom themes though.

In the end, it is all personal taste... and I don't expect Microsoft to be able to make everyone happy... but they should make me happy! Screw everyone else! :P

Trentus on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Hah, probably.

For the life of me, I cannot patch my uxtheme.dll in Vista or either of the other two .dll's in system32 that require replacement. The OS simply will not let me, even after I manually enabled the Administrator account and logged into that. "Permission denied." Now, this would bug me, were Aero not so pleasing.

Silvoculous on
    edited August 2008
    Have you taken ownership of the files?

LaCabra on
    edited August 2008

Hah, probably.

For the life of me, I cannot patch my uxtheme.dll in Vista or either of the other two .dll's in system32 that require replacement. The OS simply will not let me, even after I manually enabled the Administrator account and logged into that. "Permission denied." Now, this would bug me, were Aero not so pleasing.

For me, I had to reboot into my Vista disc to replace them because they were in use while the OS was running. If you do have a Vista disc, you should be able to boot into it and go into its recovery options. You can open a Command Prompt from there and replace the files that way. Make sure that you have backups, though. I've screwed up XP and Vista plenty of times doing customisation and I quickly learnt that you need to back up the system files if you're going to bugger about with them.

That said, once buggered around with, they're fine.

Cyvros on
    edited August 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »

Wouldn't let me - got the same manner of error. I'll try booting into the DVD though. Soon. Maybe.

Silvoculous on
    edited August 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »

Wouldn't let me - got the same manner of error. I'll try booting into the DVD though. Soon. Maybe.

I'd forgotten that it was a DVD. *tips hat*

Cyvros on
    edited August 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    For me, I had to reboot into my Vista disc to replace them because they were in use while the OS was running.

This seems like a valid reason, but then it doesn't make sense that I was readily able to do this in XP and can't in Vista.

Silvoculous on
    edited August 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    For me, I had to reboot into my Vista disc to replace them because they were in use while the OS was running.

This seems like a valid reason, but then it doesn't make sense that I was readily able to do this in XP and can't in Vista.

I don't understand it, either. I've got a feeling that Vista sort of 'locks down' most (if not all) of the system files while the OS is running so that they can't be screwed around with.

Cyvros on