As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Insane game dev asks pirates to email him

1235716

Posts

  • sethsezsethsez Registered User
    edited August 2008
    You can probably find a list of all the games with Starforce on the internet.
    But sure, they should definitely let the consumer know what sort of DRM they have before they purchase it.

    If you buy a game, and you install cracks on it, that''s pretty different from say, pirating a game and saying 'fuck you' to the hardworking developers.

    Agreed, but we shouldn't have to go through that in the first place. I bought the damn game, I shouldn't then have to go through seedy porn-ad-filled warez sites or iffy torrents just to get the thing to work. It's like the worst of both worlds.

    We're not saying DRM is a justification of people turning to piracy, we're saying it's a reason and it's one publishers are in full control over.

    sethsez on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sethsez wrote: »
    You can probably find a list of all the games with Starforce on the internet.
    But sure, they should definitely let the consumer know what sort of DRM they have before they purchase it.

    If you buy a game, and you install cracks on it, that''s pretty different from say, pirating a game and saying 'fuck you' to the hardworking developers.

    Agreed, but we shouldn't have to go through that in the first place. I bought the damn game, I shouldn't then have to go through seedy porn-ad-filled warez sites or iffy torrents just to get the thing to work. It's like the worst of both worlds.

    We're not saying DRM is a justification of people turning to piracy, we're saying it's a reason and it's one publishers are in full control over.

    PRET, a second ago you were accusing us all of just bandwagon jumping because we said Starforce truly is bad. Surely it's not that bad, you guys just haven't used it right?

    The reason we have this experience is because we actually bought those games. If we hadn't then ironically, Starforce wouldn't even be an issue for us.

    subedii on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would say people are weary about spending money on a game when they do not have any guarantee that they will get the same utility out of it as some other product (or combination of products) for the same price. ESPECIALLY when said games are pricey.

    Good thing you can't pirate the steel battalion controller.

    BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Also, every now and again a publisher deserves to have their game pirated.

    No, ubisoft don't deserve to have their games pirated, what sort of fucking bullshit response is that.

    Rook on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Also, every now and again a publisher deserves to have their game pirated.

    No, ubisoft don't deserve to have their games pirated, what sort of fucking bullshit response is that.

    A mostly tongue in cheek one.

    LewieP on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Also, every now and again a publisher deserves to have their game pirated.

    No, ubisoft don't deserve to have their games pirated, what sort of fucking bullshit response is that.

    A mostly tongue in cheek one.

    Everyone knows pirates have their tongues cut out.

    subedii on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hey guys there's a TV that I want to get but I don't know if it'll work well with my 360 and stuff, think I should just take it?

    treating piracy as the same thing as physical theft just makes pirates laugh at you.

    It's a different thing, despicable for different reasons.

    "You wouldn't steal a car!"

    No, cars are kinda heavy to fit in my pocket. Now, using a Star Trek replicator to make a perfect replica, leaving the original car where I found it? That's different.
    Okay, would you shoplift a pack of gum?

    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    sethsez wrote: »
    You can probably find a list of all the games with Starforce on the internet.
    But sure, they should definitely let the consumer know what sort of DRM they have before they purchase it.

    If you buy a game, and you install cracks on it, that''s pretty different from say, pirating a game and saying 'fuck you' to the hardworking developers.

    Agreed, but we shouldn't have to go through that in the first place. I bought the damn game, I shouldn't then have to go through seedy porn-ad-filled warez sites or iffy torrents just to get the thing to work. It's like the worst of both worlds.

    We're not saying DRM is a justification of people turning to piracy, we're saying it's a reason and it's one publishers are in full control over.

    PRET, a second ago you were just accusing us all of bandwagon jumping because we said Starforce truly is bad. The reason we have this experience is because we bought those games.
    Exactly. And my experience with Mass Effect has been about as obnoxious as any virus I've ever gotten stuck with, except I also got the added pleasure of having paid money for the experience, and instead of coming from a stupid purple monkey popup it came from EA and BioWare.

    sethsez on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hey guys there's a TV that I want to get but I don't know if it'll work well with my 360 and stuff, think I should just take it?

    treating piracy as the same thing as physical theft just makes pirates laugh at you.

    It's a different thing, despicable for different reasons.

    "You wouldn't steal a car!"

    No, cars are kinda heavy to fit in my pocket. Now, using a Star Trek replicator to make a perfect replica, leaving the original car where I found it? That's different.
    Okay, would you shoplift a pack of gum?

    I think you're still missing the point. Copyright infringement is not the same as theft, and should never be treated as such. Intellectual Property has vastly different limitations, rules and regulations applying to it that will NEVER apply to physical property. You cannot compare physical theft with copyright infringement.

    subedii on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    I think you're still missing the point. Copyright infringement is not the same as theft, and should never be treated as such. Intellectual Property has vastly different limitations, rules and regulations applying to it that will NEVER apply to physical property. You cannot compare physical theft with copyright infringement.

    Arguing that piracy costs lost sales is perfectly valid. However, that's still not theft.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Once upon a time, I pirated games. 'twas in my youth. You know those horror stories about overbearing parents? Yeah. My parents confiscated the money I came across "to save for my future". So I pirated. I also pirated for a while after leaving home, until I found a steady job.

    In short, I pirated because I could not buy the games anyways. I can look any of you in the eye and say that my piracy back then did not take money out of anyone's pockets. And no holier-than-thou asshole has the right to say otherwise.

    But now that I have money, I am trying to buy legitimate copies. I maintain wish lists for PC and console, going back to the NES, including both every game I want, but also every disc or ROM I have ever pirated. Through goozex, craigslist, and local game shops, I'm working through the list. Eventually every game I ever pirated will be pirated no longer.


    And my e-peen will be huge

    Rigor Mortis on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hey guys there's a TV that I want to get but I don't know if it'll work well with my 360 and stuff, think I should just take it?

    treating piracy as the same thing as physical theft just makes pirates laugh at you.

    It's a different thing, despicable for different reasons.

    "You wouldn't steal a car!"

    No, cars are kinda heavy to fit in my pocket. Now, using a Star Trek replicator to make a perfect replica, leaving the original car where I found it? That's different.
    Okay, would you shoplift a pack of gum?

    I think you're still missing the point. Copyright infringement is not the same as theft, and should never be treated as such. Intellectual Property has vastly different limitations, rules and regulations applying to it that will NEVER apply to physical property. You cannot compare physical theft with copyright infringement.
    I don't see how it's different. You are getting a product you haven't paid for. For theft you are denying someone else access to the product, in copyright infringement you aren't. But either way, you are getting a product you haven't paid for. That's wrong, and illegal.

    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hey guys there's a TV that I want to get but I don't know if it'll work well with my 360 and stuff, think I should just take it?

    treating piracy as the same thing as physical theft just makes pirates laugh at you.

    It's a different thing, despicable for different reasons.

    "You wouldn't steal a car!"

    No, cars are kinda heavy to fit in my pocket. Now, using a Star Trek replicator to make a perfect replica, leaving the original car where I found it? That's different.
    Okay, would you shoplift a pack of gum?

    Would an identical pack of gum magically replace it at no cost to the store owner, and I couldn't afford to buy the gum?

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    I don't see how it's different. You are getting a product you haven't paid for. For theft you are denying someone else access to the product, in copyright infringement you aren't. But either way, you are getting a product you haven't paid for. That's wrong, and illegal.

    But when you download something, the original copy still exists.

    It's like saying I steal fire when I light my candle from yours.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Both copyright and theft are illegal.

    But they have no more in common than GBH and tax evasion do.

    LewieP on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't see how it's different. You are getting a product you haven't paid for. For theft you are denying someone else access to the product, in copyright infringement you aren't. But either way, you are getting a product you haven't paid for. That's wrong, and illegal.

    THAT'S WHY ITS DIFFERENT.

    Yes, piracy is wrong. However! If the pirate can't afford, or otherwise wouldn't buy the game...the publisher loses no money. This is why its different from theft.

    (also different in that a thief can't give the gum to 5,000,000 of his closest "friends". :P)

    Phoenix-D on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hey guys there's a TV that I want to get but I don't know if it'll work well with my 360 and stuff, think I should just take it?

    treating piracy as the same thing as physical theft just makes pirates laugh at you.

    It's a different thing, despicable for different reasons.

    "You wouldn't steal a car!"

    No, cars are kinda heavy to fit in my pocket. Now, using a Star Trek replicator to make a perfect replica, leaving the original car where I found it? That's different.
    Okay, would you shoplift a pack of gum?

    I think you're still missing the point. Copyright infringement is not the same as theft, and should never be treated as such. Intellectual Property has vastly different limitations, rules and regulations applying to it that will NEVER apply to physical property. You cannot compare physical theft with copyright infringement.
    I don't see how it's different. You are getting a product you haven't paid for. For theft you are denying someone else access to the product, in copyright infringement you aren't. But either way, you are getting a product you haven't paid for. That's wrong, and illegal.

    Alright, let's back this up to the roots of Intellectual Property then. If I download a copy of the complete works of Arthur Conan Doyle, and pay NOBODY for the privilege, am I doing something wrong? And am I doing something illegal?

    subedii on
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hey guys there's a TV that I want to get but I don't know if it'll work well with my 360 and stuff, think I should just take it?

    treating piracy as the same thing as physical theft just makes pirates laugh at you.

    It's a different thing, despicable for different reasons.

    "You wouldn't steal a car!"

    No, cars are kinda heavy to fit in my pocket. Now, using a Star Trek replicator to make a perfect replica, leaving the original car where I found it? That's different.
    Okay, would you shoplift a pack of gum?

    I think you're still missing the point. Copyright infringement is not the same as theft, and should never be treated as such. Intellectual Property has vastly different limitations, rules and regulations applying to it that will NEVER apply to physical property. You cannot compare physical theft with copyright infringement.
    I don't see how it's different. You are getting a product you haven't paid for. For theft you are denying someone else access to the product, in copyright infringement you aren't. But either way, you are getting a product you haven't paid for. That's wrong, and illegal.

    It's wrong and illegal, but it's wrong and illegal for different, important, reasons. IP cannot be treated the same as physical property, not just due to the theft/copyright infringement issue but for a myriad of other reasons ranging from fair use to ownership rights to patents to domain issues.

    Copyright infringement is wrong, it is illegal, but it is not theft.

    sethsez on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I don't see how it's different. You are getting a product you haven't paid for. For theft you are denying someone else access to the product, in copyright infringement you aren't. But either way, you are getting a product you haven't paid for. That's wrong, and illegal.

    THAT'S WHY ITS DIFFERENT.

    Yes, piracy is wrong. However! If the pirate can't afford, or otherwise wouldn't buy the game...the publisher loses no money. This is why its different from theft.

    (also different in that a thief can't give the gum to 5,000,000 of his closest "friends". :P)

    This pirate better be the worst pirate ever because everybody knows good pirates have lots of gold and rum. (rum being worth even more, sometimes)

    RichardTauber on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hey guys there's a TV that I want to get but I don't know if it'll work well with my 360 and stuff, think I should just take it?

    treating piracy as the same thing as physical theft just makes pirates laugh at you.

    It's a different thing, despicable for different reasons.

    "You wouldn't steal a car!"

    No, cars are kinda heavy to fit in my pocket. Now, using a Star Trek replicator to make a perfect replica, leaving the original car where I found it? That's different.
    Okay, would you shoplift a pack of gum?

    Would an identical pack of gum magically replace it at no cost to the store owner, and I couldn't afford to buy the gum?
    Most people can afford to buy the game. They choose not to because they want something but they don't want to pay for it. That's wrong. And of course there's a cost to the store owner. They had tons of cost to deliver the product to you, and rather then support them and help them recoup their costs so they can make more games, you take and give them the middle finger.

    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I don't see how it's different. You are getting a product you haven't paid for. For theft you are denying someone else access to the product, in copyright infringement you aren't. But either way, you are getting a product you haven't paid for. That's wrong, and illegal.

    But when you download something, the original copy still exists.

    It's like saying I steal fire when I light my candle from yours.

    But if someone was charging for the pirvelege of lighting your candle on their fire and you did it without paying that would be theft.

    Just because the original exists doesnt make it not theft. You are stealing their 'copy' which they made to sell.

    The_Scarab on
    scarab you have mental problems
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Just because the original exists doesnt make it not theft. You are stealing their 'copy' which they made to sell.

    No, I'm copying their copy. They still have it.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hey guys there's a TV that I want to get but I don't know if it'll work well with my 360 and stuff, think I should just take it?

    treating piracy as the same thing as physical theft just makes pirates laugh at you.

    It's a different thing, despicable for different reasons.

    "You wouldn't steal a car!"

    No, cars are kinda heavy to fit in my pocket. Now, using a Star Trek replicator to make a perfect replica, leaving the original car where I found it? That's different.
    Okay, would you shoplift a pack of gum?

    Would an identical pack of gum magically replace it at no cost to the store owner, and I couldn't afford to buy the gum?
    Most people can afford to buy the game. They choose not to because they want something but they don't want to pay for it. That's wrong. And of course there's a cost to the store owner. They had tons of cost to deliver the product to you, and rather then support them and help them recoup their costs so they can make more games, you take and give them the middle finger.

    That does not constitute anything resembling what could legally be considered a cost to the store owner in regards to piracy.

    sethsez on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Alright, let's back this up to the roots of Intellectual Property then. If I download a copy of the complete works of Arthur Conan Doyle, and pay NOBODY for the privilege, am I doing something wrong? And am I doing something illegal?

    No, because the copyright on those works are up so they're now public domain. That's how the copyright system is supposed to work. However this is assuming you downloaded the text only, various publisher still hold the copyright over the various editions.

    Rook on
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I don't see how it's different. You are getting a product you haven't paid for. For theft you are denying someone else access to the product, in copyright infringement you aren't. But either way, you are getting a product you haven't paid for. That's wrong, and illegal.

    But when you download something, the original copy still exists.

    It's like saying I steal fire when I light my candle from yours.

    But if someone was charging for the pirvelege of lighting your candle on their fire and you did it without paying that would be theft.

    Just because the original exists doesnt make it not theft. You are stealing their 'copy' which they made to sell.

    Yes, it does. Theft has a legal definition and what you are describing is not it.

    sethsez on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And yet it's still illegal. So it must be recognized as 'a cost to the store owner'

    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

    Just because the original exists doesnt make it not theft. You are stealing their 'copy' which they made to sell.

    Yes it does. Making a copy of a work that is still copyrighted is copyright infringement, not theft. You can't steal a copy that you have made, you have infringed their copyright by making that copy.

    subedii on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Alright, let's back this up to the roots of Intellectual Property then. If I download a copy of the complete works of Arthur Conan Doyle, and pay NOBODY for the privilege, am I doing something wrong? And am I doing something illegal?

    No, because the copyright on those works are up so they're now public domain. That's how the copyright system is supposed to work. However this is assuming you downloaded the text only, various publisher still hold the copyright over the various editions.

    That's kind of the point I'm getting at. PRET has said that if you make a copy of something without paying for it, not only is that illegal, it's wrong. That's simply not the case.

    Intellectual Property is treated differently from physical property because it is different. I really don't want to have to get into the roots of the concept of Intellectual Property, but the simple fact is, that it is NOT THE SAME as physical property, nor was it ever meant to be either.

    The concept of intellectual property was created as a means of recompensing people for creative endeavours and encouraging them to continue by allowing them to derive benefit from those endeavours, for a limited time, by allowing them a temporary right which prevents others from making unauthorised reproductions and instead leaving that right exclusively with the copyright owner. After this period has passed, such property becomes Public Domain.

    This is completely different from how physical property is treated.

    subedii on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And yet it's still illegal. So it must be recognized as 'a cost to the store owner'

    No. Piracy is only a financial loss if the pirated copy is used instead of the real thing. Pirating the get around DRM is not a loss. Pirates who wouldn't buy the game anyway aren't costing the company anything.

    The later is still wrong, but its not a financial loss.

    Phoenix-D on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just think, whenever you don't buy a game, it has exactly the same economic effect as if you had pirated it.

    BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man this is one of the dumbest topics I've seen in G&T in awhile..

    Just because you don't have any physical impact doesn't mean something can't be illegal. I could run around naked outside my house and be arrested for public indecency even if no one besides a cop was around.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was listening to TWiT a few months back and someone on there (can't remember who. Dvorak, maybe) told the story of a guy he knew who had a closet full of disks of every piece of software for X computer.
    I wonder how many of those dudes are out there. People who pirate just to have a "complete" collection. They never use the software, would never buy it but have a compulsion to attain these things because they simply can.

    PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User
    edited August 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I was listening to TWiT a few months back and someone on there (can't remember who. Dvorak, maybe) told the story of a guy he knew who had a closet full of disks of every piece of software for X computer.
    I wonder how many of those dudes are out there. People who pirate just to have a "complete" collection. They never use the software, would never buy it but have a compulsion to attain these things because they simply can.
    I suspect this is a huge factor. Not that I have proof to back it up besides what I know about my friends and their habits.

    Rigor Mortis on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Just because the original exists doesnt make it not theft. You are stealing their 'copy' which they made to sell.

    No, I'm copying their copy. They still have it.

    Wait wait! Let me try.

    If you have one apple.

    And I have 0 apples.

    I then decide to take your apple.

    I have one apple.

    You have 0 apples.

    This is theft.

    INTERMISSION
    eat candy

    If you have one apple.

    And I have 0 apples.

    I then decide to COPY your apple. Class, please note, that there are now TWO apples present in this physical space.

    I have one apple.

    You have one apple.

    This is copyright infringement...or an act of God.

    DISCUSSION TIME
    oh noes

    Please answer the following questions.

    1. How would you feel if someone took your apple after working so hard to produce it?

    2. How would you feel if someone copied your apple after working so hard to produce it?

    3. Is there a difference between taking something and copying it?

    Think hard children, think hard.

    SkyGheNe on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Just because you don't have any physical impact doesn't mean something can't be illegal.

    Did anyone say copyright infringement isn't illegal?

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Just because you don't have any physical impact doesn't mean something can't be illegal.

    Did anyone say copyright infringement isn't illegal?
    I did! I did!

    subedii on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Just because you don't have any physical impact doesn't mean something can't be illegal.

    Did anyone say copyright infringement isn't illegal?
    Yeah basically. So many people going on about how they wouldn't be stealing a real copy so it's not stealing.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Just because the original exists doesnt make it not theft. You are stealing their 'copy' which they made to sell.

    No, I'm copying their copy. They still have it.

    Wait wait! Let me try.

    If you have one apple.

    And I have 0 apples.

    I then decide to take your apple.

    I have one apple.

    You have 0 apples.

    This is theft.

    INTERMISSION
    eat candy

    If you have one apple.

    And I have 0 apples.

    I then decide to COPY your apple. Class, please note, that there are now TWO apples present in this physical space.

    I have one apple.

    You have one apple.

    This is copyright infringement...or an act of God.

    DISCUSSION TIME
    oh noes

    Please answer the following questions.

    1. How would you feel if someone took your apple after working so hard to produce it?

    2. How would you feel if someone copied your apple after working so hard to produce it?

    3. Is there a difference between taking something and copying it?

    Think hard children, think hard.


    Were you gonna sell that apple?

    Big Classy on
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User
    edited August 2008
    I think I might be kind of the opposite of most Pirates. If there's a game I'm really hyped about or really looking forward too, I'm happy enough to buy it, hell, I'd buy the collector's edition.

    I usually only pirate games I'm not sure of. If it is all kinds of awesome I'd buy it, I have a pretty good collection of PC Game Boxes.

    To me though, I think the biggest factor of pirating PC games is the fact that it's really difficult to "return" them back if you don't like it. Any console game you can return back to the store for your money, but the whole PC Games in a Box with a Serial Number makes it nearly impossible to "try" a PC game in a legal way.

    Of course, the only exception to that is if you're lucky enough to have a friend who has the game you're interested in.

    RCagent on
  • zilozilo Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, this thread has sunk pretty deep into semantic arguments now. Who gives a shit what you call it? It's still wrong and people who engage in the practice are scum. I hope I'm not the only one going through this thread making mental notes on which of you will be getting hate-rays beamed directly into your brain.

    Really, pirates aren't complicated people.

    1) Free beats not-free
    2) No social pressure to pay

    There, the root causes of piracy summed up in less than ten words. You can either make it impossible to pirate games (something the industry's trying, but really all you need is to keep it off the internet for the first few weeks), or you can increase social pressure to pay for games. Those are the only two possible solutions.

    Pirating a game, for whatever reason ("I can't afford it anyway", "I don't want DRM"), makes you complicit. Period. Part of the problem.

    zilo on
Sign In or Register to comment.