As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Insane game dev asks pirates to email him

13468916

Posts

  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    snip

    What if you have a milkshake?

    And I drink your milkshake, I drink it up.

    LewieP on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    steve-o99 wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    If you couldn't pirate it, you would either simply not have it or you would make some kind of sacrifice so you have the money to buy it. I repeat, the "I can't afford games so I pirate them" excuse is bunk.

    Like I said earlier, I rode on that excuse for years. I used that excuse after buying a $1600 gaming computer. Eventually I grew the fuck up and stopped lying to myself.

    The thing about piracy is that you end up losing respect for games.

    I would think a that the thing about piracy is that you start with no respect for games.

    Nah, nobody starts off like that, or they wouldn't bother in the first place. It's more of a "hey, I don't have a job and am still in high school, but I'd really like [insert game here]." and eventually finding out how to get it. And hey, it's just this one time and you don't have any money anyway, right? I mean, you'll buy it once you get paid, or get allowance money, or whatever.

    And then you get money, but something else has come up that you want instead. And so forth.

    And eventually you just don't care anymore.

    close, but sometimes its "hey, I just graduated, I'm working full time and saving 90% for school, and I still want to play games" or "hey, I'm in college, I have literally ZERO entertainment budget, and still want to play games"

    Another interesting tidbit here is that pirates sometimes still buy things. I've pirated games, and also spent a regrettable amount of money on purchasing games. You cannot pirate computer hardware and game consoles, and to the pirate, that is were the real expense is. I've pirated music, and also bought plenty of music. I have nothing to say about people that are buried in money to spend on everything, like $1600 gaming machines, and still pirate stuff, because I have no experience with that. I would say however that there are plenty of pirates that scrape together medium-graphics machines on newegg clearances and the like and pirate games because they really can't afford them.

    Basically you say the justification "I pirate games because I cannot pay for them" is shit
    I say your "Well I'm 28, make $70,000 a year and spend $200 on games a month, why can't you too" moral stand is shit to.

    Pretty much everything in your post indicated that you could, in fact, afford the games. Sort of proving the point.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Just because the original exists doesnt make it not theft. You are stealing their 'copy' which they made to sell.

    No, I'm copying their copy. They still have it.

    Wait wait! Let me try.

    If you have one apple.

    And I have 0 apples.

    I then decide to take your apple.

    I have one apple.

    You have 0 apples.

    This is theft.

    INTERMISSION
    eat candy

    If you have one apple.

    And I have 0 apples.

    I then decide to COPY your apple. Class, please note, that there are now TWO apples present in this physical space.

    I have one apple.

    You have one apple.

    This is copyright infringement...or an act of God.

    DISCUSSION TIME
    oh noes

    Please answer the following questions.

    1. How would you feel if someone took your apple after working so hard to produce it?

    2. How would you feel if someone copied your apple after working so hard to produce it?

    3. Is there a difference between taking something and copying it?

    Think hard children, think hard.


    Were you gonna sell that apple?

    Maybe if I had some extra apples, but I'm a pretty selfish fatty.

    Oh, you were talking about within the context of the apple analogy. I see.

    Well, yes, if the analogy were to hold up, I would need to sell the apple en masse.

    SkyGheNe on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I could steal TV's and Cars somehow magically via the internet without fear of repercussions I'd probably do it you know. This also applies to games. This is why I may have perhaps downloaded something illegally sometime


    I'm probably a lousy person

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Just because you don't have any physical impact doesn't mean something can't be illegal.

    Did anyone say copyright infringement isn't illegal?
    Yeah basically. So many people going on about how they wouldn't be stealing a real copy so it's not stealing.

    But it's not.

    It's copyright infringement.

    Theft is different.

    I can agree with your general point, but this just cannot be avoided.

    subedii on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RE: Making a perfect copy of a car. Suppose such a device exists...don't the people who worked to design that car deserve some form of compensation even if you aren't using their materials to produce one? Sure, you could argue they don't "deserve" as much money as they'd get if you bought the initial car, but surely they deserve something for creating the reference design. Take graphics cards for example. ATi/AMD and NVIDIA both create reference designs for their graphics cards that manufacturers such as ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI use to produce their respective cards. NVIDIA and AMD both earn money from licensing fees from these manufacturers. The same would/should be the case in a world where we can make copies of cars or, in this case, software.

    As for Doyle's works...yeah, I'm pretty sure those have fallen into the public domain. :)

    RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Making money off of somepne elses apples is wrong man.

    edit: but i do it anyway :(

    Big Classy on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    snip

    What if you have a milkshake?

    And I drink your milkshake, I drink it up.

    I kill over smaller things - like klondike bars. I highly recommend that you avoid drinking my milk shake at all costs. Our relationship could get....shakey, if you would care to humor the pun.

    Now I will go gaffaw over my wit.

    SkyGheNe on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sorry, but pirating a game because you "can't afford it" is a shitty, shitty reason. Entertainment products are not a necessity. This isn't Les Miserables, you aren't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your sister's child who is close to death.

    I realize most people in this thread are acknowledging this, but there are a few people who seem to think that being poor is reason enough to steal things. My younger years were spent with my family basically living paycheque to paycheque. We had one computer that my dad saved up for a year to buy for us. I had the technological know-how to pirate games, and I didn't because it is not a necessity.

    Don't use that as an excuse to pirate. It's terrible.

    vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but pirating a game because you "can't afford it" is a shitty, shitty reason. Entertainment products are not a necessity. This isn't Les Miserables, you aren't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your sister's child who is close to death.

    I realize most people in this thread are acknowledging this, but there are a few people who seem to think that being poor is reason enough to steal things. My younger years were spent with my family basically living paycheque to paycheque. We had one computer that my dad saved up for a year to buy for us. I had the technological know-how to pirate games, and I didn't because it is not a necessity.

    Don't use that as an excuse to pirate. It's terrible.

    Ah, but what about ze spice of life, Mon Cherie? Isn't the world just a darker gray with that gem absent from your life?

    SkyGheNe on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RBach wrote: »

    As for Doyle's works...yeah, I'm pretty sure those have fallen into the public domain. :)

    Really? Do tell. So if this truly is like theft, why is that not wrong? Why shouldn't I have to go down to the bookstore and BUY a copy from whoever is currently publishing those books? Isn't that the right and just way?

    Why is it that copyright expires? I can pass a chair on to my descendants, nobody can TAKE it and call that "just", the ownership of the chair doesn't "expire", why so different here?

    Once you understand that you understand why it's important to differentiate between physical and intellectual property.

    subedii on
  • steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Just because you don't have any physical impact doesn't mean something can't be illegal.

    Did anyone say copyright infringement isn't illegal?
    Yeah basically. So many people going on about how they wouldn't be stealing a real copy so it's not stealing.

    so now crimes are only crimes if stealing is involved. Ok. :|

    stealing vs. not stealing is a morality argument whereas illegal vs. not illegal is a legal argument. Keep in mind that the laws that say kicking a baby = bad make good sense and work well. The laws that deal with IP do not so well. The American copyright system is a crotchety old 100 year old that hates computers and computer users. There are plenty of people that think the entire concept of a EULA, much less the EULA terms themselves, are a load of shit.

    Remember, software is code, period. that is what it is. When you buy software, you are not buying that code. Some people say that buying software = really leasing it. So then you are leasing software, which, not being hardware, is in fact code, but you don't get that code. If you did get that code, you would be able to modify it, back it up, copy it, paste, put it on disks, floppys, flash drives, vinyl records whatever, but you DON't get to do anything of that in what people would call "good conscience" atm, because the system just doesn't work.
    Actions of slighted morality, like piracy, always exist in broken systems.

    steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    To me though, I think the biggest factor of pirating PC games is the fact that it's really difficult to "return" them back if you don't like it.

    sorry, but that's part of being a consumer. you can't take a DVD back if it turns out you don't like the film, a cinema or concert won't return your money because you didn't like the film or gig.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but pirating a game because you "can't afford it" is a shitty, shitty reason. Entertainment products are not a necessity. This isn't Les Miserables, you aren't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your sister's child who is close to death.

    I realize most people in this thread are acknowledging this, but there are a few people who seem to think that being poor is reason enough to steal things. My younger years were spent with my family basically living paycheque to paycheque. We had one computer that my dad saved up for a year to buy for us. I had the technological know-how to pirate games, and I didn't because it is not a necessity.

    Don't use that as an excuse to pirate. It's terrible.

    Good thing we aren't stealing then.

    These aren't necessities, but if I gain, and nobody else loses, I would be stupid not to do it.

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    To me though, I think the biggest factor of pirating PC games is the fact that it's really difficult to "return" them back if you don't like it.

    sorry, but that's part of being a consumer. you can't take a DVD back if it turns out you don't like the film, a cinema or concert won't return your money because you didn't like the film or gig.

    You can, however, return up and up defective items. Can't do that with software unless its PHYSICALLY defective (the disc is scratched).

    Phoenix-D on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RBach wrote: »
    RE: Making a perfect copy of a car. Suppose such a device exists...don't the people who worked to design that car deserve some form of compensation even if you aren't using their materials to produce one? Sure, you could argue they don't "deserve" as much money as they'd get if you bought the initial car, but surely they deserve something for creating the reference design. Take graphics cards for example. ATi/AMD and NVIDIA both create reference designs for their graphics cards that manufacturers such as ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI use to produce their respective cards. NVIDIA and AMD both earn money from licensing fees from these manufacturers. The same would/should be the case in a world where we can make copies of cars or, in this case, software.

    As for Doyle's works...yeah, I'm pretty sure those have fallen into the public domain. :)

    if there was such a device readily available, there would be some kind of GNU/Car that you could legally and freely copy, but it would only be available in manual transmission and the interior would have no upholstery.

    Daedalus on
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User
    edited August 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    To me though, I think the biggest factor of pirating PC games is the fact that it's really difficult to "return" them back if you don't like it.

    sorry, but that's part of being a consumer. you can't take a DVD back if it turns out you don't like the film, a cinema or concert won't return your money because you didn't like the film or gig.

    But a theater will refund your money if, for some reason, they can't project the movie on to the screen. And I imagine you could get a refund if you had trouble playing the DVD on your DVD player.

    You can't do that with PC games. They're different. (Ah, was a bit late...)

    Anyway, I've only read the first two and last two pages, but has anyone mentioned the fact people pirate games/music/movies because of distribution issues? Not everyone in the world lives in the United States, or has easy access to a Paypal account, or is able to pay for X game with their currency or from their bank account. I mean, it's easy to say, "Why the fuck can't Bob walk down to Walmart and pick up his legal copy, the fuck," but when there is no Walmart-- when you have to jump through hoops and wait for weeks or even months after release for a copy them thar torrent sites begin to look really good. And with PC games, the pirated version is almost guaranteed to install and play more smoothly than even the least shackled consumer offerings.

    It doesn't help when game/movie prices often vary wildly between regions for no good reason whatsoever.

    Personally, I don't live in the states, which means that a lot of the money I would spend on my 360 just doesn't get spent. I can't walk down to the store and buy English 360 games (granted, I do have a few Japanese games, yeah) and I'm also banned (just because of my IP, even though my account is American) from buying some Xbox Live! Arcade titles and downloading some demos. I can't pirate any of these things, of course, but damn. I just CANNOT buy some Live! Arcade games and demos. It is impossible. When you put these types of walls up on a system like the PC, where it isn't closed, it's easy to see why people are willing to crack games and distribute them on the 'net.

    Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but pirating a game because you "can't afford it" is a shitty, shitty reason. Entertainment products are not a necessity. This isn't Les Miserables, you aren't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your sister's child who is close to death.

    I realize most people in this thread are acknowledging this, but there are a few people who seem to think that being poor is reason enough to steal things. My younger years were spent with my family basically living paycheque to paycheque. We had one computer that my dad saved up for a year to buy for us. I had the technological know-how to pirate games, and I didn't because it is not a necessity.

    Don't use that as an excuse to pirate. It's terrible.

    Good thing we aren't stealing then.

    These aren't necessities, but if I gain, and nobody else loses, I would be stupid not to do it.

    You're pretty much kidding yourself if you say "no one else loses" though, aren't you? Come on. You're pirating the game instead of buying it. If you wanted the game that badly and couldn't pirate it, you'd wait until it was cheaper, or you'd save a bit of money elsewhere, or you'd just lump the expense and call it a treat. Instead you pirate it.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • RCagentRCagent Registered User
    edited August 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    To me though, I think the biggest factor of pirating PC games is the fact that it's really difficult to "return" them back if you don't like it.

    sorry, but that's part of being a consumer. you can't take a DVD back if it turns out you don't like the film, a cinema or concert won't return your money because you didn't like the film or gig.

    Yeah, but this is a game. And it's a product that, on consoles, can easily be returned and even traded-in. The PC products do not have this luxury. This is a product, not a "experience" such as a movie at a movie theatre or a concert, products are very easy to return for a refund.

    That is why PC Games are crippled and are more "pirate-able" targets.

    RCagent on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but pirating a game because you "can't afford it" is a shitty, shitty reason. Entertainment products are not a necessity. This isn't Les Miserables, you aren't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your sister's child who is close to death.

    I realize most people in this thread are acknowledging this, but there are a few people who seem to think that being poor is reason enough to steal things. My younger years were spent with my family basically living paycheque to paycheque. We had one computer that my dad saved up for a year to buy for us. I had the technological know-how to pirate games, and I didn't because it is not a necessity.

    Don't use that as an excuse to pirate. It's terrible.

    Good thing we aren't stealing then.

    These aren't necessities, but if I gain, and nobody else loses, I would be stupid not to do it.

    I assume you've never paid to get into an entertainment venue, then? I mean as long as it's not sold out, they aren't losing anything if you sneak in without buying a ticket, right?

    vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    To me though, I think the biggest factor of pirating PC games is the fact that it's really difficult to "return" them back if you don't like it.

    sorry, but that's part of being a consumer. you can't take a DVD back if it turns out you don't like the film, a cinema or concert won't return your money because you didn't like the film or gig.

    But a theater will refund your money if, for some reason, they can't project the movie on to the screen. And I imagine you could get a refund if you had trouble playing the DVD on your DVD player.

    You can't do that with PC games. They're different.

    You can return them if the disk is scratched or the game literally refuses to function, just like anything else. As a consumer, every time you buy something you take the risk that it is going to suck ass. Accept it.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but pirating a game because you "can't afford it" is a shitty, shitty reason. Entertainment products are not a necessity. This isn't Les Miserables, you aren't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your sister's child who is close to death.

    I realize most people in this thread are acknowledging this, but there are a few people who seem to think that being poor is reason enough to steal things. My younger years were spent with my family basically living paycheque to paycheque. We had one computer that my dad saved up for a year to buy for us. I had the technological know-how to pirate games, and I didn't because it is not a necessity.

    Don't use that as an excuse to pirate. It's terrible.

    Good thing we aren't stealing then.

    These aren't necessities, but if I gain, and nobody else loses, I would be stupid not to do it.

    I'd say that the developers, if they aren't able to make a livelihood, lose.

    SkyGheNe on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    RBach wrote: »
    RE: Making a perfect copy of a car. Suppose such a device exists...don't the people who worked to design that car deserve some form of compensation even if you aren't using their materials to produce one? Sure, you could argue they don't "deserve" as much money as they'd get if you bought the initial car, but surely they deserve something for creating the reference design. Take graphics cards for example. ATi/AMD and NVIDIA both create reference designs for their graphics cards that manufacturers such as ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI use to produce their respective cards. NVIDIA and AMD both earn money from licensing fees from these manufacturers. The same would/should be the case in a world where we can make copies of cars or, in this case, software.

    As for Doyle's works...yeah, I'm pretty sure those have fallen into the public domain. :)

    if there was such a device readily available, there would be some kind of GNU/Car that you could legally and freely copy, but it would only be available in manual transmission and the interior would have no upholstery.

    I hate to break it to you, but most cars sold in Europe are manual. :lol:

    Seriously guys, it's not difficult. :mrgreen:

    subedii on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    RBach wrote: »
    RE: Making a perfect copy of a car. Suppose such a device exists...don't the people who worked to design that car deserve some form of compensation even if you aren't using their materials to produce one? Sure, you could argue they don't "deserve" as much money as they'd get if you bought the initial car, but surely they deserve something for creating the reference design. Take graphics cards for example. ATi/AMD and NVIDIA both create reference designs for their graphics cards that manufacturers such as ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI use to produce their respective cards. NVIDIA and AMD both earn money from licensing fees from these manufacturers. The same would/should be the case in a world where we can make copies of cars or, in this case, software.

    As for Doyle's works...yeah, I'm pretty sure those have fallen into the public domain. :)

    if there was such a device readily available, there would be some kind of GNU/Car that you could legally and freely copy, but it would only be available in manual transmission and the interior would have no upholstery.

    I hate to break it to you, but most cars sold in Europe are manual. :lol:

    I further hate to break it to you that if you can't drive a manual transmission you are a sissy.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    RBach wrote: »
    RE: Making a perfect copy of a car. Suppose such a device exists...don't the people who worked to design that car deserve some form of compensation even if you aren't using their materials to produce one? Sure, you could argue they don't "deserve" as much money as they'd get if you bought the initial car, but surely they deserve something for creating the reference design. Take graphics cards for example. ATi/AMD and NVIDIA both create reference designs for their graphics cards that manufacturers such as ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI use to produce their respective cards. NVIDIA and AMD both earn money from licensing fees from these manufacturers. The same would/should be the case in a world where we can make copies of cars or, in this case, software.

    As for Doyle's works...yeah, I'm pretty sure those have fallen into the public domain. :)

    if there was such a device readily available, there would be some kind of GNU/Car that you could legally and freely copy, but it would only be available in manual transmission and the interior would have no upholstery.

    I hate to break it to you, but most cars sold in Europe are manual. :lol:
    I'm one of those annoying fucking Linux geeks.

    edit: terrible ToTP.

    Daedalus on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    An interesting thing to note is that in the EU at least, if you get done for pirating and they find out that you've pirated more than three things then legislation is coming into effect where the punishment is that if you are caught using the internet ever again, you go to prison.

    Which I feel is a bloody good incentive to to pay for the things I want to own.

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but pirating a game because you "can't afford it" is a shitty, shitty reason. Entertainment products are not a necessity. This isn't Les Miserables, you aren't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your sister's child who is close to death.

    I realize most people in this thread are acknowledging this, but there are a few people who seem to think that being poor is reason enough to steal things. My younger years were spent with my family basically living paycheque to paycheque. We had one computer that my dad saved up for a year to buy for us. I had the technological know-how to pirate games, and I didn't because it is not a necessity.

    Don't use that as an excuse to pirate. It's terrible.

    Good thing we aren't stealing then.

    These aren't necessities, but if I gain, and nobody else loses, I would be stupid not to do it.

    You're pretty much kidding yourself if you say "no one else loses" though, aren't you? Come on. You're pirating the game instead of buying it. If you wanted the game that badly and couldn't pirate it, you'd wait until it was cheaper, or you'd save a bit of money elsewhere, or you'd just lump the expense and call it a treat. Instead you pirate it.

    Except I do buy games, pretty much whenever I can afford it. The amount of games I want to play will always outnumber my ability to pay for them, or at least, until/if I get a really nice paying job in the future. I'm never going to save up for an older game, because there's going to be a newer game that more people are playing, and its shinier, etc. I do pick up games that I find in bargain bins, especially if I pirated them before, and remembered them being fun.

    The games I pirate, I wouldn't buy otherwise. Believe it or not, I am only speaking for myself. So they aren't losing money.

    Hell, I want to be a game dev myself, and work on it daily. I do what I can to support game developers, and when I can't, I can't.

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    An interesting thing to note is that in the EU at least, if you get done for pirating and they find out that you've pirated more than three things then legislation is coming into effect where the punishment is that if you are caught using the internet ever again, you go to prison.

    Which I feel is a bloody good incentive to to pay for the things I want to own.

    Prison for how long? The punishment seems interesting, but I would say a fine and a record is more effective than loading up a prison.

    SkyGheNe on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    An interesting thing to note is that in the EU at least, if you get done for pirating and they find out that you've pirated more than three things then legislation is coming into effect where the punishment is that if you are caught using the internet ever again, you go to prison.

    Which I feel is a bloody good incentive to to pay for the things I want to own.

    The heck? Never heard of that one, you got a link to that article?

    Not being able to use the internet ever again sounds... retarded. Jail time, fines, whatever, but you know, people need to use the internet for work and crap, and you can do more with it than just pirate stuff.

    subedii on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    An interesting thing to note is that in the EU at least, if you get done for pirating and they find out that you've pirated more than three things then legislation is coming into effect where the punishment is that if you are caught using the internet ever again, you go to prison.
    So it begs the question, do they cut off your hand for stealing? That kind of law would give Hammurabi a chubby.

    Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Except I do buy games, pretty much whenever I can afford it. The amount of games I want to play will always outnumber my ability to pay for them

    life is hard, make more money

    edit: besides which I've seen your character sheet, you have resources 4 you stingy faggot! Buy the games!

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »
    An interesting thing to note is that in the EU at least, if you get done for pirating and they find out that you've pirated more than three things then legislation is coming into effect where the punishment is that if you are caught using the internet ever again, you go to prison.

    Which I feel is a bloody good incentive to to pay for the things I want to own.

    Prison for how long? The punishment seems interesting, but I would say a fine and a record is more effective than loading up a prison.

    I don't know, the article I read didn't mention it, but it mentioned a three strike rule so I assume strike 1: fine strike 2: record, strike 3: no more interweb, strike 4: Man you don't fucking learn do you.

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mordrack wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »
    An interesting thing to note is that in the EU at least, if you get done for pirating and they find out that you've pirated more than three things then legislation is coming into effect where the punishment is that if you are caught using the internet ever again, you go to prison.
    So it begs the question, do they cut off your hand for stealing? That kind of law would give Hammurabi a chubby.

    IT'S COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT NOT STEALING!

    Wait, what?

    subedii on
  • darleysamdarleysam UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I can afford to buy a game I want, then I will do so. If I can't afford to buy every game I want, then I will wait until a time where I can afford it, and then buy it. This seems to work out alright.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Except I do buy games, pretty much whenever I can afford it. The amount of games I want to play will always outnumber my ability to pay for them

    life is hard, make more money

    edit: besides which I've seen your character sheet, you have resources 4 you stingy faggot! Buy the games!

    People usually roleplay characters they want to be, not what they are.

    Damn, I wish I had resources 4 in real life.

    Also, you haven't posted in a while.

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    An interesting thing to note is that in the EU at least, if you get done for pirating and they find out that you've pirated more than three things then legislation is coming into effect where the punishment is that if you are caught using the internet ever again, you go to prison.

    Which I feel is a bloody good incentive to to pay for the things I want to own.


    Certainly not where I live

    where did you hear this

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The article I read was in this months PC Gamer UK on page 13.

    I may have been conned by the hyperbole in the article a little but they do mention no internet ever for the third strike.

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    If I can afford to buy a game I want, then I will do so. If I can't afford to buy every game I want, then I will wait until a time where I can afford it, and then buy it. This seems to work out alright.

    Until you go to find the game and can't find it. :P

    On that note, anyone know of GoG is going to have Wizardry 8?

    Phoenix-D on
  • darleysamdarleysam UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    If I can afford to buy a game I want, then I will do so. If I can't afford to buy every game I want, then I will wait until a time where I can afford it, and then buy it. This seems to work out alright.

    Until you go to find the game and can't find it. :P

    On that note, anyone know of GoG is going to have Wizardry 8?

    Well I've luckily not had that problem.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    Except I do buy games, pretty much whenever I can afford it. The amount of games I want to play will always outnumber my ability to pay for them

    life is hard, make more money

    edit: besides which I've seen your character sheet, you have resources 4 you stingy faggot! Buy the games!

    People usually roleplay characters they want to be, not what they are.

    Damn, I wish I had resources 4 in real life.

    Also, you haven't posted in a while.

    I'm trying to think of a coherent reason why an elderly antiques dealer would be in a nightclub. Also BACK ON TOPIC!
    Zzulu wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »
    An interesting thing to note is that in the EU at least, if you get done for pirating and they find out that you've pirated more than three things then legislation is coming into effect where the punishment is that if you are caught using the internet ever again, you go to prison.

    Which I feel is a bloody good incentive to to pay for the things I want to own.


    Certainly not where I live

    where did you hear this

    yeah I'm pretty sure it's horseshit. the EU would never have a blanket law for something like that anyway, it'd be different in different countries.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

Sign In or Register to comment.