As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Insane game dev asks pirates to email him

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I'm not on my PC atm, and I don't want to fiddle with my housemate's adblock settings, but I know that I found Dell adverts on a web site that hosted torrents for illegitimate software.

Hell, even software that Dell themselves sell.

I know how internet advertising works, and that there is probably 2/3 links in the chain between Dell and the torrent site, but confronting Dell about that connection, and publicising it when they do nothing about it is one of the few good ways of tackling piracy without undermining bittorrent as a useful tool.

That's a good point on two fronts. Here's the problem: Dell removed their add form the agency. And? The agency will still advertise there, and even if you can convince the agency, who probably doesn't give a damn, to remove all their adverts from said torrent site, theres about 100 other advert agencies waiting to pounce on the opportunity for fresh meat - laet's face it, places like www.Insert-Pirating-Website-Name.com are good real estate for ads.

Yeah, but I bet Dell are a big customer. Every bit of lost ad revenue that web sites which facilitate piracy lose is a good thing. The value of ad space drops as less people want it. Basic supply/demand.

LewieP on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    It's not piracy, but it's still bad.

Now I'm done.

no, it's basically completely neutral.

Tube on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's not piracy, but it's still bad.

Now I'm done.

no, it's basically completely neutral.

If you accept treatment of the symptom as an acceptable solution.

I don't.

zilo on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yea, fuck treating the symptom of something we don't have a cure for. Bitches should suffer in the interim.

Bama on
  • cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

I've sent MORE than my fair share of forum posts, PM's and heck, e-mails in the direction of devs, all telling them the same thing: YOUR DRM DOES NOT WORK. Guess how many changes have been made on my behalf in all this time?

Sadly very few people actually do this. Maybe because they presume its ignored, I don't know. Decent publishers and devs take the time to read emails and forum posts directed at them.
    I know I am 100% aware of every email I've got about my games that points out problems with them, especially technical bugs. I assume for every person who emails me, a lot more are annoyed but didn't email.

Companies only know what you tell them. If everyone always told developers what they thought about them, good and bad, you may see a lot more changes for the better.

cliffski on
  • Cpt_InnocuousCpt_Innocuous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Taking action against sites who profit from, and enable piracy is a good step too.

From a blog post I wrote a while back about what we as gamers can do to ensure a healthy future for the PC gaming industry:
    You aren't a dirty filthy pirate? Then I salute you good sir or madame, however, there is still things you can do to help reduce the impact of piracy on developers revenue stream.

Load up any torrent site you care for. I'm not going to name names because I don't want target any one in particular. See if they have any torrents for PC games available. Hosting torrents is perfectly legal, absolutely no copyrighted content is held on these sites, and they are untouchable by the law. However, there are other ways to get to them.

Most, if not all, of these sites contain advertising. Because of the way internet advertising works, the companies represented on any given web site may not be aware of which sites in particular they have adverts shown on, they just deal with an advertising agency which acts as a third party between advertisers and web sites. I know if I were running 'Dell computers' I would not want to be associated with copyright infringement, particularly not of software that I sell.

If you ever see a legitimate, reputable business advertising on one of these sites, here's what I suggest you do. First take a screenshot of the site, with their advert showing. Then do a whois search on their domain, and send an email to their Administrative Contact explaining how shocked you are to see a reputable company like theirs supporting web sites which facilitate copyright infringement, and ask if they are aware of it. If they brush you off with stock responses, then take to the tubes! Social network, Social media, blogs, video streaming, these are our tools, our weapons. Use our democratised media for good by naming and shaming any companies which provide a revenue stream for piracy.

If enough people do this, eventually businesses will see that their brand is being harmed by this, and will seek out advertising agencies which do not condone and profit from facilitating copyright infringement.

Legislation against torrent sites only marginalises their users and pushed them further underground, legal action against individuals only fosters negative feelings towards 'the man', and restrictive Digital Rights Management only turns more consumers away from PC gaming. The only way to help developers profit from their hard work and still be around to make games in the future is to foster an economic environment by which operating web sites which facilitate copyright infringement is not profitable.

Edit: This is something I do every so often, but I am just one person.

That line of thought is a bunch of bullshit. You are asking me to lie to company executives so they crack down on torrent websites? Why? Those sites aren't destroying Dell's business. If it were, the Dell company executives would know about it.

The ends justify the means in the war against piracy? What are you trying to prove? You and I both know that Dell has nothing to do with those advertisements.

Cpt_Innocuous on
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Yea, fuck treating the symptom of something we don't have a cure for. Bitches should suffer in the interim.

When the treatment actively discourages progress toward a "cure"? Absolutely.

zilo on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Good thing that isn't the case.

Bama on
    edited August 2008
    Taking action against sites who profit from, and enable piracy is a good step too.

From a blog post I wrote a while back about what we as gamers can do to ensure a healthy future for the PC gaming industry:
    You aren't a dirty filthy pirate? Then I salute you good sir or madame, however, there is still things you can do to help reduce the impact of piracy on developers revenue stream.

Load up any torrent site you care for. I'm not going to name names because I don't want target any one in particular. See if they have any torrents for PC games available. Hosting torrents is perfectly legal, absolutely no copyrighted content is held on these sites, and they are untouchable by the law. However, there are other ways to get to them.

Most, if not all, of these sites contain advertising. Because of the way internet advertising works, the companies represented on any given web site may not be aware of which sites in particular they have adverts shown on, they just deal with an advertising agency which acts as a third party between advertisers and web sites. I know if I were running 'Dell computers' I would not want to be associated with copyright infringement, particularly not of software that I sell.

If you ever see a legitimate, reputable business advertising on one of these sites, here's what I suggest you do. First take a screenshot of the site, with their advert showing. Then do a whois search on their domain, and send an email to their Administrative Contact explaining how shocked you are to see a reputable company like theirs supporting web sites which facilitate copyright infringement, and ask if they are aware of it. If they brush you off with stock responses, then take to the tubes! Social network, Social media, blogs, video streaming, these are our tools, our weapons. Use our democratised media for good by naming and shaming any companies which provide a revenue stream for piracy.

If enough people do this, eventually businesses will see that their brand is being harmed by this, and will seek out advertising agencies which do not condone and profit from facilitating copyright infringement.

Legislation against torrent sites only marginalises their users and pushed them further underground, legal action against individuals only fosters negative feelings towards 'the man', and restrictive Digital Rights Management only turns more consumers away from PC gaming. The only way to help developers profit from their hard work and still be around to make games in the future is to foster an economic environment by which operating web sites which facilitate copyright infringement is not profitable.

Edit: This is something I do every so often, but I am just one person.

That line of thought is a bunch of bullshit. You are asking me to lie to company executives so they crack down on torrent websites? Why? Those sites aren't destroying Dell's business. If it were, the Dell company executives would know about it.

The ends justify the means in the war against piracy? What are you trying to prove? You and I both know that Dell has nothing to do with those advertisements.

No, I am not asking you to lie in the slightest.

Dell can currently get away with essentially funding piracy (because it offers them relatively cheap advertising I assume) by not dealing directly with the sites which facilitate piracy.

By putting a bunch of 3rd parties between them and the pirates, they get away with it. It is about accountability. The same with any immoral business practice, everyone up the supply chain is responsible. Heard of Conflict Diamonds? The Slave trade? Weapon smuggling?

The best way of stopping this kind of thing is taking away the revenue stream from the top of the supply chain. Learn some economics before you tell me my line of thought is a bunch of bullshit.

LewieP on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cliffski wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

I've sent MORE than my fair share of forum posts, PM's and heck, e-mails in the direction of devs, all telling them the same thing: YOUR DRM DOES NOT WORK. Guess how many changes have been made on my behalf in all this time?

Sadly very few people actually do this. Maybe because they presume its ignored, I don't know. Decent publishers and devs take the time to read emails and forum posts directed at them.
    I know I am 100% aware of every email I've got about my games that points out problems with them, especially technical bugs. I assume for every person who emails me, a lot more are annoyed but didn't email.

Companies only know what you tell them. If everyone always told developers what they thought about them, good and bad, you may see a lot more changes for the better.

Like I said, companies tend to ignore issues when they're raised, or try to solve "your" problem instead of realising it is in fact, their problem. At least that's my experience.

You know who I've had good correspondence with? Valve. I actually sent Gabe Newell what amounted to a whole essay's worth of feedback on Episode 2, what I felt worked, what I thought didn't, what I thought was stupid. Honestly, I wasn't expecting a response, and in truth, I didn't get one for about a month. When I did it wasn't from Gabe Newell, it was one from David freaking Speyrer (lead dev on Episode 2). I mean heck not only did he take the time to write he even answered my questions, even in subsequent correspondence. I was amazed that not only did they read that ridiculously long correspondence (it really was way too long, but I wanted to get in all my thoughts about the game before I forgot about them), they actually took the time to write back and thank me for sending them my thoughts.

I cannot tell you how much this impressed me. You know, even if every review on Earth pans episode 3 now, I might still just buy it, just because they actually took the time to listen and acknowledge what I had to say. Gabe Newells constant advertising of how they want your correspondence and how they go to the effort of trying to respond as much as they can really has paid off, it generates amazing goodwill.

subedii on
    edited August 2008

says you

zilo on
  • KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll bite.

I pirate games. Lots of games. I have been pirating games since I found out pirating games was possible. (When I discovered the joys of playing SNES games on my PC)

Why do I do it?

Games cost money. I have a small amount of money. Pirating games is easy. I am lazy.

But heres the thing... I guess you could say this is how I justify it to myself... even though I acknowledge that it doesn't really change the facts:

Before pirating I bought maybe... 2-3 games a year. That's what I could afford.

After pirating I still bought about 2-3 games per year.

The fact is that I spent the same amount of money on games as I would have anyway... So I figure there is no net loss to the developer.

Now there are certain games that I know I am going to want. I buy those. I own 7 copies of the fallout 1/2 pack.

I buy all the final fantasies. I buy srpgs. I buy the elder scrolls series. I would have bought these games anyway... and I still do.

If I pirate a game and it turns out I love it, I buy it.

Does that make piracy a good thing? Of course not. But this is how this pirate works.

KKprofit on
    edited August 2008

says you

yes and he's right so let's stop this entire tedious tangent

Tube on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think piracy would reduce a little if more games had demos.

I remember when my PC was riddled with a billion demos of games, leeched from magazine cover CDs or sent to me in an email.

You don't see it so much anymore, as the price of producing a game rises the effort left over to make a demo isn't so big.

The_Scarab on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I think piracy would reduce a little if more games had demos.

I remember when my PC was riddled with a billion demos of games, leeched from magazine cover CDs or sent to me in an email.

You don't see it so much anymore, as the price of producing a game rises the effort left over to make a demo isn't so big.

There's also the general belief that demos actually hinder a game's sales instead of helping, and so they're getting phased out, at least for pre-release demos.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/04/14/study-publishers-shouldnt-release-demos-just-trailers/

Irrespective of whether it's actually true or not, publishers appear to think it's true, and that's what matters.

subedii on
    edited August 2008
    I imagine that's true for bad games, but I know I remember a bunch of people being convinced by the Bioshock demo.

LewieP on
    edited August 2008
    I imagine that's true for bad games, but I know I remember a bunch of people being convinced by the Bioshock demo.

which was actually the best part of the game

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    The Bioshock demo was an event. Everyone was playing it.

Also, the skate demo, though on consoles, had a similar effect.

But like I said, demos can really help push good games. Especially if they have limited multiplayer in them, which is often the one thing you cant pirate.

I remember getting into the dawn of war beta. that shit was the best thing going for months. a beta. a broken mess of a game patched daily. sold me the game no doubt.

If they have to disguise demos as betas then so be it. Just make them more open. it was a bitch to get into the RA3 one, a game which doesnt need that much promotion. its red alert.

The_Scarab on
    edited August 2008
    I think pre-release or shortly post-release demos could hurt a game's sales, but a month or more past release is a good thing.

says you

Let's not. You're both wrong, and fostering the myth that it's okay to crack your software encourages people to ignore the problem. If you don't like it, quit bitching and take a stand.

zilo on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Demos are, in theory, a good thing. Sadly, half the time the demos misrepresent the final product, and I think that goes up another 25% when you consider PC demos.

On consoles, you have demos like Eternal Sonata which make you think the game will be great but the final product is something of a mess and like Blue Dragon which was total crap and turned people off to what turned out to be an excellent game. This kind of problem exists for consoles and the PC alike.

The PC, though, has additional issues. Sometimes a demo will be more optimized than the final product, and sometimes less. 007: Nightfire is one example - the demo just chugged along crappily while the final product was much smoother. Granted, the PC version of Nightfire sucked anyway, so that particular example was a wash, but you get my point: The demo did not really demo the final product, it just gave a little media snippet of it.

I'm not really sure what the solution is, though. I simultaneously think demos are good and bad.

Ultimately, though, I don't think increasing the availability of demos is going to decrease the amount of piracy. I think that people pirate to "try before they buy" is probably the least likely reason (or outcome) of piracy. I mean, it just seems like a red herring. I know people that tout this line and still never go buy the stuff they continue to play for months and months and months. I'm not saying it's 100% untrue, but I doubt that easy access to demos is going to start some kind of piracy revolution. Most people pirate because it is easy and relatively cheap on time, effort, and price.

Again, I'm not sure what the solution is, though I think legitimate direct download services like Steam will help. We live in a relatively lazy "gotta have it now" culture. I am convinced that some people pirate just because it's easier than getting their ass to the store. Why bother if you can have shit handed to you on a silver platter within a few clicks or so? It's kind of sad. You have to essentially battle human nature to battle piracy.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited August 2008
    Of course its OK to crack your own software. Where the fuck would you get the idea that it wasn't?

I want to play a game. I dont want to put up with the DRM.

I could buy it and crack it and enjoy the game.

Or not buy it, make a point to the publisher who will ignore me, and not play the game and not enjoy it.

I think I'll take Obvious Choices for $200 Alex.

The_Scarab on
    edited August 2008
    The (I think highly flawed) argument is that you should be voting with your wallet against games with bad DRM, instead of buying and circumventing it.

LewieP on
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The (I think highly flawed) argument is that you should be voting with your wallet against games with bad DRM, instead of buying and circumventing it.

Or game companies can pull a Ubisoft and use game cracks to fix their own DRM.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    Oh of course. That's plain to see.

On the other hand, if I can circumvent it every time then it is no trouble for me if they keep shoving DRM on there. No skin off my nose as it were. It's an extra 5 minutes once I have installed to find it and fix it. Publisher is happy, Im happy. Everyone carries on blissfully ignorant of the underlying problem.

The_Scarab on
    edited August 2008
    Until crippling DRM turns large number of customers away from PC gaming and the industry declines.

LewieP on
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Until crippling DRM turns large number of customers away from PC gaming and the industry declines.

The industry isn't ignorant of their own DRM problems. Ubisoft is example to that.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    heh

LewieP on
  • StaedtlerStaedtler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    The article I read was in this months PC Gamer UK on page 13.

I may have been conned by the hyperbole in the article a little but they do mention no internet ever for the third strike.
    Here in Canada, every time a bill to reform copyright law goes to parliament, the CRIA et al go on a media blitz telling people "it is now illegal to do x,y,z." They say this even though x,y,z isn't in the bill and the bills never pass. These kinds of organizations lie blatantly and frequently. What probably happened in your case is that one of these organizations sent talking points to the magazine, and the magazine printed it almost word-for-word because it was easier than writing their own content. This happens frequently in entertainment magazines (and the "entertainment section of newspapers, etc).

As for theft and copyright infringement: they are different things. Theft requires that you deprive the lawful owner of the thing you are stealing. Copyright infringement is an unlawful reproduction. They're kept separate for good reason, and in fact no one works harder to keep them distinct than lobbyists representing content owners. You can say that these things are morally equivalent in certain situations and I won't argue with you, but there is no evading the fact that words have definitions. As far as I'm aware, the only precedent for piracy = theft is "stealing" telecommunications services in Canada, and this exists solely because of the physical infrastructure. I'm not aware of any similar law in the US.
    I think the best way for indie game devs to minimize piracy of their games is to do everything possible to make people realize that the games in question were made by other people, not by some massive faceless development studio.
    I agree with this. As an added bonus, you can create a social stigma around piracy in your community. I generally stay away from non-free indie games, but the only free game I've donated to had a really good community.

Also, I think you've made a really good first step in realizing that you are not "at war" with pirates. Beating pirates and making money are not always aligned as interests.

Staedtler on
    Give me a hug, mofo
  • NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I used to pirate games, simply because I didn't have enough money to pay for them.

People like to pirate games for the following reasons.

They have a pirated game collection; one more trophy to the pile. They feel they achieved something by owning the most games, and what allows them to do this? Why, downloading 24/7 of course. Most of these people in my experience, have had the money to buy the games anyway. Self fulfilling prophecy.

People don't have the money but will buy it later. People who are often on a budget would still like to play some games, and piracy lets it happen.

The game isn't available to them where they live. Probably don't like the fact that it costs extra just to get the game.

It doesn't run well on their machine. A person that wants a game but doesn't want to pay for something when it wont run well on their machine can justify pirating as something as trivial as not having something ugly for such a big price, but still want to have the experience like their friends.

They want to try the game out before making a purchase. This happens a lot with unreleased games available early on download sites.

Sometimes people pirate games for the sake of pirating. Pirating is very accessible and people think of it as a load off their wallet. I don't think these people really know what their doing. This case is prevelent in cases in which the game is very easy to crack, and it doesn't get patched often.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Staedtler wrote: »
    Beating pirates and making money are not always aligned as interests.

LewieP on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I don't care if someone pirates for self usage. But to sell it does bother me.

Magus` on
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why I've pirated:

1. I don't know if the game will run, I'm looking at you Crysis.
    2. Getting obscure games, sometimes its just easier to download it.
    3. Simply because of money.

Reasons I haven't pirated.

1. I respect the developers too much. Valve baby.
    2. I want to play legit multiplayer.
    3. I love a game that I pirated, so I buy it.

Thems about it.

artoo on
    edited August 2008
    Crysis had a demo.

LewieP on
  • NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Crysis had a demo.

Ahahaha.

On another note, I see my list being ignored since its on the other page. Take a look if you want a complete list. I think I got most of the reasons.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    I think pre-release or shortly post-release demos could hurt a game's sales, but a month or more past release is a good thing.

says you

Let's not. You're both wrong, and fostering the myth that it's okay to crack your software encourages people to ignore the problem. If you don't like it, quit bitching and take a stand.

No. You've given no evidence to support your position and have been nothing but a hostile dickhead. This tangent has ended. I was not making a request.

Tube on
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Crysis had a demo.

A horribly optimized demo that didn't have the same performance as the final game. (Unless they have an updated demo? Do they?)

artoo on
    edited August 2008
    I couldn't even get the farcry demo to work. I still don't know if the full game would run, I never bought it.

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    Really? I mean it ran badly on my PC, but I just assumed it wasn't up to the task.

Hmm..

LewieP on
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The demo ran badly for me too. Does this me an I ahve a chance of running crysis now?

I opt not to do a joke about going off to pirate it straight away.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • DevothumbDevothumb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    To me though, I think the biggest factor of pirating PC games is the fact that it's really difficult to "return" them back if you don't like it.

sorry, but that's part of being a consumer. you can't take a DVD back if it turns out you don't like the film, a cinema or concert won't return your money because you didn't like the film or gig.

I agree when it's just "I don't like it", but I've finally given up on PC gaming because "I don't like it" seems to be the same as "It doesn't, and cannot be made to work even though it meets or exceeds the system requirements."

This didn't used to be the case, I remember returning software even back on my P3 because it flat out couldn't be made to work - granted, I'd even take printouts of my emails from the software company's support reps into the store I bought it from - and they knew me as a longstanding customer.

I understand that developers can't envision all circumstances under which their product might be run, but you'd think they'd offer a refund when their own support admits that it is simply not possible.

As this isn't so, I now get my gaming fix elsewhere - and if it doesn't work it's either the media or the console - both of which can be dealt with without a lot of handwringing.

For the record and in an attempt to stay on topic, the last system I played pirated games on was the Commodore 64. I was pretty young, I don't recall knowing it was wrong at the time. Once a month or so there was a huge (fifty to one hundred and fifty people) gathering at one of our local churches (!!!!) and software was well and truly copied about. Sadly, that's where I lost my original diskettes for Another World (I think that was the name - it was an amazing RPG/Dungeon crawling game), and after that theft, I don't think I really got that excited about going.

Devothumb on