As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer beeping thrice and not booting!

Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
So I bought some more RAM for my sister's computer, a 2.4 ghz P4 system.

It was working perfectly fine, I turned it off, removed the RAM, and put in the new sticks. Pressed the power button; it turns on, but it doesn't boot. I removed the new RAM, thinking it's faulty, and place the old ones in. Again, nothing, it just goes through the exact same thing. I tried it a couple more times, now it just beeps three times before doing nothing. All the fans and such work, lights on the mobo turn on, but it just doesn't do anything. Did I accidentally fry something?

edit:

okay, according to intel's site, three beeps means a "Base 64 K memory failure". It then gives advice like reseating the RAM, making sure the contacts are clean, etc etc. If my older RAM suddenly goes through the same thing, does it mean a bum motherboard? The last bit of advice the site has is to swap the mobo. Am I screwed?

edit 2:

swapped out the motherboard, both the new and old RAM works just fine. I guess I need a new motherboard now, lock this thread please.

9PZnq.png
Brodo Faggins on

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You might try removing the CMOS battery from the board (along with the regular power) counting to 20, and reseating the battery. Then try booting again.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've had this happen before, I know this will sound stupid, but are you putting the ram in backwards? I did, good thing I was just scrapping junkers for practice.

SkutSkut on