As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House of Leaves: The New Adventures!

SlandererSlanderer Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
The structure of "Exploration #4" is highly discontinuous, jarring, and as evidenced by many poor edits, even hurried. The first shot catches Navidson mid-phrase. He is tired, depressed and pale. "--days, I think. And, I...I don't know." [Drink of something; unclear what.] "Actually I'd like to burn it down. Can't think clearly enough to do it though." [Laughs] "And now...this."
The next shot jumps to Karen and Tom arguing over whether or not to "go in after him." At this point it remains unclear to whom they are referring.
There are several more shots.
Trees in winter.
Blood on the kitchen floor.
One shot of a child (Daisy) crying.
Then back to Navidson: "Nothing but this tape which I've seen enough times, it's more like a memory than anything else. And I still don't know: was he right or just out of his mind?"
Followed by three more shots.
Dark hallways.
Windowless rooms.
Stairs.
Then a new voice: "I'm lost. Out of food. Low on water. No sense of direction. Oh god..." The speaker is a bearded, broad shouldered man with frantic eyes. He speaks rapidly and appears short of breath:"Holloway Roberts. Born in Menomonie, Wisconsin. Bachelor's from U. Mass. There's something here. It's following me. No, it's stalking me. I've been stalked by it for days but for some reason it's not attacking. It's waiting, waiting for something. I don't know what. Holloway Roberts. Menomonie, Wisconsin. I'm not alone here. I'm not alone."
Thus bringing to an end this strange abstract which as the release of The Navidson Record revealed was sparingly incomplete.

Well, I decided to pick up this book again a few days ago (second edition, full color printing). I still love it, even though I am reading it more slowly this time to appreciate it more. There are so many things that make this book amazing, too many for me to even begin. So, here's another example. This is a page from the chapter that is called "The Labyrinth".

It's very easy to get lost.

houseofleavespage134oz1.th.gif

This is a book worthy of much discussion. Much, much discussion. Furthermore, on the 12th of this month the author's new novel comes up.

I await Only Revolutions.

Midshipman wrote:
Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
Wii Code: 1231 4448 8299 3147 ((Send me a PM and come join the party))
Slanderer on

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    good book. Liked it bunches.

I was reading it and realised there is a bit where he is talking about this girl he meet, and it was used in some song by an artist I don't rember. Found it odd that it has so permiated pop culture.

It is one of the few books I won't lend people.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redx wrote:

I was reading it and realised there is a bit where he is talking about this girl he meet, and it was used in some song by an artist I don't rember. Found it odd that it has so permiated pop culture.

This work is highly interweaved with the work of his sister, the singer Poe. Specfically, the album "Haunted."

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    redx wrote:

This work is highly interweaved with the work of his sister, the singer Poe. Specfically, the album "Haunted."

ah... that is probably what it was from, or a techno remix of it.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • SlandererSlanderer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redx wrote:

That's why i ended up buying a new, pristine full color copy of this book, despite already owning it. I wanted to keep a new, pretty, and smooth copy of this book in my collection. Now I can carry my old copy in my bag wherever I go, so that I might lure new readers into its trap.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
    Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
    edited September 2006
    It's been bothering me.

In other news Haunted is an excellent CD. Here's the Wiki.

Here's the music video [NSFW++] of a song from there, which isn't as good as the 'real' version of the track as all the non-chorus vocals were replaced with text from House of Leaves.

Jinnigan on
    edited September 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    It's been bothering me.

Tell no one

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    edited September 2006
    For comparison, here is the original version of Hey Pretty.

Jinnigan on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I couldn't finish it, actually. I thought that the outside narrator was way too melodramatic, and ridiculously macho. He swung between ridiculous dig-me boasting and ridiculous B-horror cheesy voiceovers. He'd fuck three girls a day before breakfast, and then coin phrases about how you may not realise yet, but this book will ruin your life! and I was filled with a sense of terrible, unnameable forboding, a lurking, sinking sense of morality and fear.

So then I started just reading the book itself, sans footnotes. I got a little farther than that, before the Zampano's bullshit analysis and babble turned me off: way to much analysis of the social location of echos and way too little of the video.

To be fair, it was interesting despite those flaws, enough so that I was able to read pretty far despite them.

MrMister on
    edited September 2006
    MrMister wrote:
    I couldn't finish it, actually. I thought that the outside narrator was way too melodramatic, and ridiculously macho. He swung between ridiculous dig-me boasting and ridiculous B-horror cheesy voiceovers. He'd fuck three girls a day before breakfast, and then coin phrases about how you may not realise yet, but this book will ruin your life! and I was filled with a sense of terrible, unnameable forboding, a lurking, sinking sense of morality and fear.

So then I started just reading the book itself, sans footnotes. I got a little farther than that, before the Zampano's bullshit analysis and babble turned me off: way to much analysis of the social location of echos and way too little of the video.

To be fair, it was interesting despite those flaws, enough so that I was able to read pretty far despite them.

Bah, i liked the chapter on echoes. Especially because of the way it converges into meaning of the event.

On an unrelated note, I'm starting to get more and more of funny stuff in Zampano's part. And it is good.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ftairs we found ftairs!
    God I loved that book that part gave me chills.
    My mom picked it up one day and was like "The hell you reading boy?"
    as she flipped through it.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The text in the OP is from the SOS chapter, right?

because it has the three quick shots, then a long shot, then three quick shots, which I remember as a reference to the morse code for SOS... or something like that.

The chapter is even written to have three short paragraphs, three long, three short.

I loved the book at first readthrough, thought it was amazing, and everytime I hear of another hidden bit or just something there for those that pay attention, I love it more. I have a high respect for artists who esentially award you for enjoying their work.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited September 2006
    Variable wrote:
    The text in the OP is from the SOS chapter, right?

because it has the three quick shots, then a long shot, then three quick shots, which I remember as a reference to the morse code for SOS... or something like that.

The chapter is even written to have three short paragraphs, three long, three short.

I loved the book at first readthrough, thought it was amazing, and everytime I hear of another hidden bit or just something there for those that pay attention, I love it more. I have a high respect for artists who esentially award you for enjoying their work.

Actually, the text was from the first chapter.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    edited September 2006
    forget me then.

what I said is still accurate about the other chapter, but I oviously was trying to be too "i love this book, here's proof".

I love this book. I have no proof.-)

Variable on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I finished reading this for the first time like two weeks ago.

I felt kind of lost as to what I should read next, like "How do I follow this up?"

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited September 2006
    Variable wrote:
    forget me then.

what I said is still accurate about the other chapter, but I oviously was trying to be too "i love this book, here's proof".

I love this book. I have no proof.-)

when i wrote down my quote, i thought exactly the same thing about the timing of sentences, though. then i looked and it said "several" shots, so i was like, "oh dang...nevermind.."

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    edited September 2006
    DHS Odium wrote:
    I finished reading this for the first time like two weeks ago.

I felt kind of lost as to what I should read next, like "How do I follow this up?"

www.houseofleaves.com

Variable on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So, I just bought this a week or so ago and started reading it. I haven't finished yet, but I love it so far.

Is Only Revolutions a sequel, or related in any way besides being by the same author?

Taximes on
    edited September 2006
    Taximes wrote:
    So, I just bought this a week or so ago and started reading it. I haven't finished yet, but I love it so far.

Is Only Revolutions a sequel, or related in any way besides being by the same author?

As far as I know, the works aren't related.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    It's been bothering me.

In other news Haunted is an excellent CD. Here's the Wiki.

Here's the music video [NSFW++] of a song from there, which isn't as good as the 'real' version of the track as all the non-chorus vocals were replaced with text from House of Leaves.

Much as I love that alternate mix, I agree marketing it as the single is about the stupidest fucking thing they could have done with that album. Video's goddamn ridiculous, too.

Though Lord, she's cute. <3Gah, stupid masculinity

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I hear a lot of people say they didn't like Johnny Truant's part of the book, but I actually thought that the book wouldn't have been nearly as effective without it. That extra layer of narrative on top of Zampano's, weaving in between deep insight and apparent insanity - and showing the effect the transcript can have on a person - is what really ties the whole thing together for me. Especially when you start connecting the dots between the letters from Johnny's Mother and the transcript itself. I really loved it.

I think my most memorable part of the whole book was when:
    [spoiler:8635d0f58a]Johnny is describing how he feels like something is always waiting for him in the dark, always ready to devour him. Then to help the reader understand how he feels, he essentially "breaks the fourth wall" and talks directly to you as you read the book. He tells you to keep reading and not to take your eyes off the page, but to imagine that just behind the book you're holding is something that is just waiting for you to put the book down and look at it, and that it is just waiting to get you. At least, it went something like that (it's been a while since I read the book).[/spoiler:8635d0f58a]

That part really gave me some serious goosebumps, and I couldn't shake the sense of dread it gave me for days after reading it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I want to read this book right now.

Snork on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Only a handful of books have caused a physical reaction from me. One was The Blind Assassin, when Iris is reading Laura's Mathematics notebook--I threw the book across the room and screamed, "FUCK."

The part in House of Leaves that did it for me was reading page 97 after reading P.'s letters. [spoiler:0edfd72251]After turning the page, I didn't even notice the check mark until I had read about half of the page. When I saw it, I jumped out of my chair so fast I almost fell out of it.[/spoiler:0edfd72251] Granted, this was during a marathon session of reading it--I ended up finishing the entire thing in only about four readings, which I think really helps you get into it.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited September 2006
    this is the only book I've ever had taken away from me in class.

Also, with the amount of shit that ties in from various parts of this books, and all the fun theories, I dion't think it would have worked on anywhere near the same level without Truant's part. It would have been a diferent adventure, solely spooky but it would have lacked the deeper connections that make it was it is.

Variable on
  • MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited September 2006
    Damn, I've had this on my Amazon wishlist for some time now and it was going to be the next book I purchase but I keep putting it off. I think, now, I'm going to go ahead and order it because of this thread and the fact that I recently read the whole Dionaea House webstory. Completely unrelated to this book but I heard about this book from discussions about Dionaea House.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    Merovingi wrote:
    Damn, I've had this on my Amazon wishlist for some time now and it was going to be the next book I purchase but I keep putting it off. I think, now, I'm going to go ahead and order it because of this thread and the fact that I recently read the whole Dionaea House webstory.
    Dionaea House is good, but House of Leaves is just on a whole other level. Trust me, you'll love it. Just make sure you go into it with an open mind.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    What's his new book called?
    Is it out yet?

Kusuguttai on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Only Revolutions. It comes out the same day Amputechture does!

That is to say September 12th.

Snork on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Big Dookie wrote:
    I hear a lot of people say they didn't like Johnny Truant's part of the book, but I actually thought that the book wouldn't have been nearly as effective without it. That extra layer of narrative on top of Zampano's, weaving in between deep insight and apparent insanity - and showing the effect the transcript can have on a person - is what really ties the whole thing together for me. Especially when you start connecting the dots between the letters from Johnny's Mother and the transcript itself. I really loved it.

I think my most memorable part of the whole book was when:
    [spoiler:13f2d2827f]Johnny is describing how he feels like something is always waiting for him in the dark, always ready to devour him. Then to help the reader understand how he feels, he essentially "breaks the fourth wall" and talks directly to you as you read the book. He tells you to keep reading and not to take your eyes off the page, but to imagine that just behind the book you're holding is something that is just waiting for you to put the book down and look at it, and that it is just waiting to get you. At least, it went something like that (it's been a while since I read the book).[/spoiler:13f2d2827f]

That part really gave me some serious goosebumps, and I couldn't shake the sense of dread it gave me for days after reading it.

The entire intro chapter still makes my bloody skin crawl. I think Johhny was somewhat annoying at times but watching his machoness slowly unravel into paranoia and obsession was the core of the book if you ask me.

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2006
    Snork wrote:

Wow, I didn't know it was so soon. So I get Only Revolutions on the 12th, and then I get Wii release info two days later.

It will be a good week.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    edited September 2006
    Snork wrote:

awesome thanks for the news.

probably be a fucked up combination to readand listen to that.

Variable on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Big Dookie wrote:
    Merovingi wrote:
    Damn, I've had this on my Amazon wishlist for some time now and it was going to be the next book I purchase but I keep putting it off. I think, now, I'm going to go ahead and order it because of this thread and the fact that I recently read the whole Dionaea House webstory.
    Dionaea House is good, but House of Leaves is just on a whole other level. Trust me, you'll love it. Just make sure you go into it with an open mind.

Not necessary. I went into it expecting a poor attempt of 1st person horror story(even if several people with very good taste had told me the book is above decent), and was more than pleasantly surprised.
    It's one of those rare books that rewards a lot more for slowreading than for swallowing the text in a day.
    I finished the new edition less than a month ago and I'd highly recommend it.

zeeny on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redx wrote:
    I believe at least to artists has named songs "House of Leaves", Earthtone9 being one but I've seen/heard it somewhere else too.

Panda4You on
    edited September 2006
    zeeny wrote:
    Not necessary. I went into it expecting a poor attempt of 1st person horror story(even if several people with very good taste had told me the book is above decent), and was more than pleasantly surprised.
    It's one of those rare books that rewards a lot more for slowreading than for swallowing the text in a day.
    I finished the new edition less than a month ago and I'd highly recommend it.

A lot of times, I actually wished I could read more in one sitting, so that it had more of an effect. The book explains it took, in a quote in the chapter "The Labyrinth"--can't read too slow or too fast.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    edited September 2006
    Oh hell, did this thread die already.

I refuse to let that happen.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    edited September 2006
    I found something odd earlwer when iwas skimming through a section of this. there's one section where he uses the "me" pronoun instead of "him" when referring to Tom. it might be a typo or on purpose i'm not sure. I'll find the page numberlater

also something I can't beleive I was so stupid in missing the first time around. i'm pretty sure that [spoiler:52d6babf2b] Lude is Johnny's alter-ego rather than a real person. He never talks to anyone but johnny and always seems to act as his conscience of sorts. His death coinsides perfectly with Johnny's total breakdown [/spoiler:52d6babf2b]

nexuscrawler on
  • Lew ZealandLew Zealand Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Panda4You wrote:
    redx wrote:
    I believe at least to artists has named songs "House of Leaves", Earthtone9 being one but I've seen/heard it somewhere else too.

Poe has songs called "House of Leaves" and "The 6-1/2 minute Hallway" (or whatever the name of that hallway is) on her album HAUNTED.

Poe is Danielewski's sister.

Lew Zealand on
    edited September 2006
    I found something odd earlwer when iwas skimming through a section of this. there's one section where he uses the "me" pronoun instead of "him" when referring to Tom. it might be a typo or on purpose i'm not sure. I'll find the page numberlater

also something I can't beleive I was so stupid in missing the first time around. i'm pretty sure that [spoiler:f98c374d71] Lude is Johnny's alter-ego rather than a real person. He never talks to anyone but johnny and always seems to act as his conscience of sorts. His death coinsides perfectly with Johnny's total breakdown [/spoiler:f98c374d71]

I remember in some interview i read (never saw it online, actually found it on my library reference computer) that Danielewski said that all the "typos" in the book are there on purpose. Including the change to first person when Zampano talks about tom.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    edited September 2006
    Panda4You wrote:
    redx wrote:

Poe has songs called "House of Leaves" and "The 6-1/2 minute Hallway" (or whatever the name of that hallway is) on her album HAUNTED.

Poe is Danielewski's sister.

And thier father was a emotionally distant documentary filmmaker. Kinda clears up who Daisy, Chad and Navidson are supposed to be.

nexuscrawler on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I bought this book a few months ago, but I keep finding other books to read before it. Yes, I am a total wuss.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Hmm...although Only Revolutions was supposed to be released tomorrow, my local Barnes and Noble called me up and told me that the copy I reserved was in.

I have it, and I shall start it momentarily.

The inside covers alone look magnificient.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote: