As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

House of Leaves: The New Adventures!

13»

• Options
    SlandererSlanderer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd basically be inundated by orgasmic pleasure if this thread were revived...

But what to discuss?

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
    Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
    Wii Code: 1231 4448 8299 3147 ((Send me a PM and come join the party))
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slanderer wrote:

But what to discuss?

well we could pretend we are on the house of leaves forum and someone could poast a 20 page thesis on something like, the names of the streets that Navidson's house is on.

but i guess if you wanted to read about that you could just head to that forum...

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's tough to discuss HoL except in very general terms, because there's just so much to it. As soon as you start getting into the nitty-gritty details, you end up with the kind of stuff over at the HoL forum. It's hard to have a deep but casual conversation about the book.

However, I have been thinking lately - I know that MZD has said that he doesn't want the book to be made into a movie. However, things can change with time, and you never know whether he might give into it if he can find the right writer/director for it. So, if they DID make a HoL movie, how do you think it would go?

Would it simply be a carbon copy of The Navidson Record as it is spelled out in the book, with no mention to Zampano or Johnny? Or would it work better with one of them as the narrator telling the story? Or maybe even go all the way and try for an all-out recreation of the book, with multiple layers of narrative and everything. I think the latter would be the toughest to pull off, but would be the best option if it could be done well.

Although frankly, I'd kill for just a straight recreation of The Navidson Record. That alone, done in "Blair Witch Project" style documentary form would be an awesome film.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    I agree with pretty much every word of the above.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Big Dookie wrote:
    Although frankly, I'd kill for just a straight recreation of The Navidson Record. That alone, done in "Blair Witch Project" style documentary form would be an awesome film.
    We must remember that Dionaea House is being made into a movie, so we might have something to at least tide us over. Not to say that DH is anywhere near as good as HoL, but I still enjoyed it.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    I agree with pretty much every word of the above.

Who would you want to see make it? I mentioned Kaufman earlier, but that was for the more complete House of Leaves movie with all the book's meta concepts and footnotes. The Navidson Record alone would be a slightly more traditional horror thriller, so a different writer and director would be needed. I'm not sure who should play Navidson, Karen, Tom, Halloway, and the rest of the main characters, either.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    SlandererSlanderer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Variable wrote:
    Slanderer wrote:

But what to discuss?

well we could pretend we are on the house of leaves forum and someone could poast a 20 page thesis on something like, the names of the streets that Navidson's house is on.

but i guess if you wanted to read about that you could just head to that forum...

Heh, that's not what happens on the HoL forums...

Instead, someone will write about the name of the street, find out what number each letter in the word is in the alphabet, add and multiply these numbers together in a whimsical and chaotic manner, divide by a random integer, and then go to the corresponding page in the book (possibly after rounding the previous number) in order to find some deep, conspiracy-like connection.

It's because of posts such as that that I can no longer go to the HoL forum without gasping at the sheer absurdity of some of the people there.

Also, it explains why upon seeing the trailer for the movie "The Number 23" I was filled with a deep, primordial rage which dwells within me to this day.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
    Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
    Wii Code: 1231 4448 8299 3147 ((Send me a PM and come join the party))
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Has anyone noticed or commented on the appearance of the Only Revolutions "icon" at the end of HoL?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So...

I'm kind of disappointed, although I'm only about halfway through.

I appreciate the amount of effort the author has obviously put into it, but I jut can't bring myself to give a rats ass about any of the characters. And it isn't particularly chilling, either.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]