As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames - The special love between a man and his little wooden tokens

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    SPACE HULK, people.

SPACE HULK. Right there!

What is wrong with you, people

Apparently the pricing in non-US monies is even more ludicrous than normal GW price-gouging.

And $99US ain't exactly fair and balanced either.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Knowing GW they'll sell it limited at a high price first, then release it in wide production. GW won't so much as fart if they can't stretch it out for the most money they think it'll earn.

Still I think its release makes for a big deal.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well when it's available at my local gaming store so I don't have to pay whatever ungodly amount they are asking for in shipping, let me know.

Or not, since you'll probably buy it anyway. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GW won't go wide distribution on something that's a "specialty" game (i.e. doesn't have the addictive "you have to buy more and more and more" quality their core games do). It may well have an uber limited run.

So, two of our boardgaming friends moved back to Alaska, and want to do a play by post with my local friends. Who ran Twilight Imperium, and is it at all possible that I could borrow the resources from them in order to run an epic game between said friends?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Space Hulk is so fucking bought, I don't give a shit what anyone says that stuff is 1) awesome and B) a perfect excuse to add those Blood Angels into my army that I always wanted :D

SJ on
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    GW won't go wide distribution on something that's a "specialty" game (i.e. doesn't have the addictive "you have to buy more and more and more" quality their core games do). It may well have an uber limited run.

So, two of our boardgaming friends moved back to Alaska, and want to do a play by post with my local friends. Who ran Twilight Imperium, and is it at all possible that I could borrow the resources from them in order to run an epic game between said friends?

I'll send you what I am using to run the next pbp as soon as I sit down and finish ironing it all out. Most of the stuff I have is only typed up for the 8 races I will be using.

I know Rend and Mr. Blarney have stuff too though, so you may want to drop them a line.

All the map stuff I have is from Blarney.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Space Hulk is a 2-players game, yes ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, Marines versus Genestealers.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What is space hulk and why should I care?

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's a Warhammer 40k boardgame from the late 80s/early 90s, often cited as wholly awesome. Marines and Genestealers go room to room trying to kill eachother with bolters, flamethrowers, and armor-tearing claws. With mission objectives and al lthat good stuff. And this version is looking to have high production qualities.

This is an anniversary rerelease for people not living under rocks. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd definitely want to read a battle report or play a test game before I buy space hulk. GW can be kind of hit and miss when it comes to rules in my opinion.

But, actually, this is one of their older games so its probably much more likely to be a hit, as far as my tastes go.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Genetically and surgically altered Gods of War who fearlessly defend the Imperium of Man from the mutant, the heretic and the xeno, board Space Hulks, bastions of unknown terrors and swarming with alien foes for a multitude of righteous causes, but one cause stands out above all others:

Kicking Ass and Taking Names

SJ on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'll send you what I am using to run the next pbp as soon as I sit down and finish ironing it all out. Most of the stuff I have is only typed up for the 8 races I will be using.

I know Rend and Mr. Blarney have stuff too though, so you may want to drop them a line.

Yeah, I have most of the cards typed up, and a bunch of map files. I don't have any racial stuffs typed up though. Still, I can send this stuff to you if you're interested; just give me a PM with an address where I should send things.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Much obliged.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Got to play Dominions an Attika tonight.
    Won at both (even though it was my first Attika game)

Strange Dominion game : Chancellor, Feast. Militia. Spy, Mine, Smithy, Moneylender, Woodcutter, Workshop, Council Room

I just bought Militia and Mine... a few gold... and VPs

Fun times were had by all. And me.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Much obliged.

Anything you're missing from blarney, I likely have typed up and ready, so let me know if you are in need of anything else.

Rend on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Help me expand my collection!

Current Meager Offerings:
    Race for the Galaxy + Gathering Storm
    Battlestar Galactica
    Twilight Imperium 3

I'm leaning towards picking up Puerto Rico ($30.03), TI: Shattered Empire ($48.12), Galaxy Trucker ($50.39), Carcassone Big Box 2 ($58.07), or Arkham Horror ($49.32). All prices are from Amazon with free shipping. I'm leaning towards something quick and easy to play since only RftG offers a game that can be played under three hours. Would Carcassone provide that even with all those expansions?

Valkun on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I've been going through and looking at some of my other GenCon swag haul. The current one I've been reading is the rules for Warhammer: Invasion.

It seems to be actually pretty decent. Yeah, I'm surprised as well.

Each player has a deck of at least 50 cards. In the base set, there's four starter decks of 40 cards (Empire, Orcs, Chaos, and Dwarves). You fill out the rest of the deck with some neutral cards. (There's a pack of 24 neutral ones, they recommend for starting out you shuffle them and then deal 10 to each player.)

Each deck also has a large, WoW-hero-sized card that represents their capital, and has the three zones of the city.

To win, you've gotta do damage to the capital to set two of the three zones ablaze.

The three zone are:
    Battlefield: The units that you play into this zone can attack the enemy capital.
    Kingdom: For each point of power you have in this zone, you gain one resource. (Units and buildings have this hammer-looking red symbol on them, that's their power. For units, it's how much damage they'll do in combat.) There's a minimum of three power always in this zone that's printed on the capital.
    Quest: You draw a extra card during your Quest phase for every point of Power in this zone. There's a base of one Power here on the capital, so you'll always draw at least one.

Most of that will make a little more sense when we talk about the phases of a turn.

The turn sequence for a player is:

1) Kingdom phase :the active player resets his resources to 0, and then collects resources according to the status of his Kingdom section of his capital. You can also "uncorrupt" a single unit. Some cards corrupt units, which basically tap them, and they can't attack or defend while they are.
    2) Quest phase :active player draws cards, and then each player has chances to take actions. once both players pass, it moves on to...
    3) Capital phase : active player can play units, support, and quest cards to his zones. To play cards, you pay the resources of the card, and it goes into one of the three zones. Unless a card has a special effect that allows it to move, a card's not going to be moving between zones, so you've gotta be careful where they're played. Once per turn, you can also play a card from your hand face-down into a zone as a "development", which increases the number of hit points the zone has. (by default, a zone has 8 hit points.)

Quest cards are a little funky, in that you play them into your quest zone, but they don't do anything by themselves. To get them to do stuff, you need to play a unit onto the quest card. There can be only one unit questing on a card, but you can have multiple quests in play. Basically what they do is every turn, while they've got a unit on it, you can take a action to add a resource token to it. Once it's built up enough resource tokens, you can usually sacrifice the unit on it to have a special effect. The kicker is that while the unit questing can help defend the zone, if it dies all tokens on the quest get wiped, so you lose your quest progress.
    4) Battlefield phase : You can attack the enemy's capital. You pick what units in your battlefield zone you want to attack with, which zone of the enemy's you want to attack. He picks what units in that zone he wants to defend with, and then you allocate damage. Any excess damage of the attacker's that can't be put on the defenders goes onto the zone. When anything has damage equal to or greater than it's hit points, it dies. If it's a zone, it goes up in flames. (You still get the abilities of the zones, it's just that your opponent is one step closer to winning.)

Then it's the opponent's turn. It goes back and forth until there's a winner. Not too hard, I think. Gotta get a few games in before I can make any further judgement.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Valkun wrote: »

Battlestar Galactica
    Twilight Imperium 3

I'm leaning towards picking up Puerto Rico ($30.03), TI: Shattered Empire ($48.12), Galaxy Trucker ($50.39), Carcassone Big Box 2 ($58.07), or Arkham Horror ($49.32). All prices are from Amazon with free shipping. I'm leaning towards something quick and easy to play since only RftG offers a game that can be played under three hours. Would Carcassone provide that even with all those expansions?

I am noticing a severe lack of Catan here mister.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    GenCon haul:

Dominion + expansion
    Carcasonne 5pack
    Agricola
    4 decks of Spoils
    Crunch
    Signed copy of VtM*
    Changeling: Summer*
    other game that was lost at the con:(

No bsg expansion though :x

*Things that were won via gaming.

LightRider on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Prime wrote: »
    So I have the chance to get hold of Advanced Heroquest, now I've already got and enjoy Heroquest. Is there any big difference? Is it a different game? Large update? Or just a re-released version with amendments and clarifications?

Vastly different (and superior) game. Totally different, D12, based system, random level generation, clever split between exploration and combat mode.

Buy it, buyyyyyy it.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Someone tell me bad things about Dominion so that I don't have to buy it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »

It isn't infinitely replayable, and let's be honest, are you really going to pay $50-100 for a deck of cards?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

They'd be lying to you. I finally got to play it over the weekend and enjoyed it so much that I bought it and BSG online last night. They should be here next week.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolitaireSolitaire Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What is space hulk and why should I care?

It's like a boardgame version of X-COM with gothic sci-fi warrior-monks in power armour toting double-barrelled fully automatic RPGs and miniguns against a horde of Xenomorphs aboard the twisted remains of ancient ships that were lost navigating the hell-dimension that serves as the 40k universe's interstellar highway. It's incredibly tense and tactical, as the Space Marine player navigates a small team, against the clock, across a board initially populated by moving sensor blips representing an unknown number of Genestealers. At range, the Marines have the advantage, but up close they'll get their faces kicked off and the bugs, naturally, are coming out of the goddamn walls.

It plays fast and brutal (once you get the hang of the rules, a couple of games inside an hour is possible, swapping sides halfway), and it's visually fantastic:
    m410448a_60010699001_ENSHContents_873x627.jpg

m420041a_xx010699001_SHSkulls_873x627.jpg

The first edition was the best of the classic GW dungeon crawlers of the late 80s, and for my money has still never been bettered. The second edition mostly wasn't as good, but from what we've been shown so far, this appears to have taken the best of both.

Solitaire on
    Don't make me use my stuff on you, baby.
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, someone explain to me the fascination with Le Havre. I just don't get it. I enjoyed the game somewhat, but I just got the feeling that it moved way too fast where your turns really just seemed like you don't get much of a choice. It's either buy food or get something that you can hope to use in 10 turns when someone else hasn't taken what you want. It's obviously not for me, and I understand that, but I just don't see why people would like it. Maybe I need to try it again, which I wouldn't mind at all. But the game is ranked so high.

I've not played Agricola yet, which I do want to play.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Excellent. A friend has confirmed that he is buying Space Hulk. I want to play it, but having bought Doom and the Expansion pretty recently, I've already spent a bit on big boxes full of marines vs. slimy aliens in corridors type goodness. This way I can just play his copy for free.

Now if my Dorf army and Call to Arms battlelore expansions would just arrive.

desc on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Valkun wrote: »

Battlestar Galactica
    Twilight Imperium 3

I am noticing a severe lack of Catan here mister.

Catan isn't as quick as what he is wanting, though. Galaxy Trucker is a fairly quick game, but it really rewards experienced/skilled play. For something quick and easy to play, Carcasonne is the one I would recommend. Don't pull out all the expansions at once... play it with the base a couple times to get used to the importance of farms, then add in Inns and Cathedrals for more pieces and more strategy. For the other expansions, swap out inns and cathedrals for one of the others at a time; I don't think trying to run them all at once would be a good idea.

But you really need Puerto Rico and/or Catan+Seafarers for a meatier Euro experience. Arkham Horror is long - 2.5h at a minimum, with lots of bits to sort and work with.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It isn't infinitely replayable, and let's be honest, are you really going to pay $50-100 for a deck of cards?

Guess you have never played Magic: the Gathering competitively, then.

Anyway, bad things about Dominion... the base game doesn't really offer much decision making during the play of the hands (play your +actions cards first, then play something to draw more cards), and it requires tons of shuffling. At the start of the game, you're shuffling your deck every 2 minutes, and you can expect probably 8 shuffles in a 25-30 minute game.

(Because of this, some people on BGG have made up a set of stickers to put onto poker chips, allowing you to shuffle simply by putting them all into an opaque bag and shaking. If my cards start to get too beaten up for play, I'm going to print off a set of those rather than rebuy.)

Still, it's a fantastic game and you really should play it at least once before you decide whether or not it is for you; it's currently the go to game for my sister and I when we have half an hour while my nephew is playing something on the Wii or his ds.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    All right, regarding Dominion, is buying only the expansion ok ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wouldn't recommend it. The base set has cards that make the game way easier to play. If you ever want to try to get people into it, I'd make sure you have the base game.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The expansion cards aren't hard to learn and are quite playable on their own (one guy around here played his first game on the expansion without issue), but I'd say there's not as many straight-forward action cards as the standard set has, so it's a bit more complicated to conduct strategies with the expansion's card selection.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    The expansion cards aren't hard to learn and are quite playable on their own (one guy around here played his first game on the expansion without issue), but I'd say there's not as many straight-forward action cards as the standard set has, so it's a bit more complicated to conduct strategies with the expansion's card selection.

This; many of the expansion cards have options to choose from; as an example, there is a card called the Market in the original game. This gives +1 card (draw an extra card into your hand), +1 buy (able to split your money to buy another card), +1 coin (to spend on your buys), and +1 action (to play another action card).

In the expansion, the same ability is on the Pawn... but now each time you play it you must choose only two of the four abilities to get. So whereas in the original game you simply choose which action card(s) to play each turn (and in which order), in the expansion you must also decide how to play each of those actions. So a game of only expansion cards can be much more complex for a beginner to figure out.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So basically, it has more flexible action cards ? Which gives greater incentive to pick them.

Last game I played I only picked 2 different kinds of action cards (Militia and Mine) because the others held no interest at all (there wasn't a single +X action)

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wait, do you have access to Dominion? If a friend has it, you're likely pretty good to just pick up Intrigue.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, a guy in my monday game group has it, which doesn't mean I have "access" to it.
    Is 40$ (canadian) a good price for this game ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What's that in 'merican dollars?

OS had found a site that had Dominion and Intrigue together for $50 USD.

Delmain on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It absolutely 100% requires a good quality set of card sleeves. The more expensive ones. So you are looking at another $15 on top of the price of the game.

Edit: And with the expansion alone it is pretty easy to pick a set of 10 that plays very odd. These odd sets can be fun for advanced players but very frustrating for new. EG: sets where you absolutely do not want to buy gold. Sets with nearly no extra buys. Sets that in general just play agonizingly slow.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    About 35$. (canadian money aint as cheap as it used to be :) )
    Shipping included.

Costs me too much in customs and transport, probably...

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    desc wrote: »
    Excellent. A friend has confirmed that he is buying Space Hulk. I want to play it, but having bought Doom and the Expansion pretty recently, I've already spent a bit on big boxes full of marines vs. slimy aliens in corridors type goodness. This way I can just play his copy for free.

Now if my Dorf army and Call to Arms battlelore expansions would just arrive.

I feel the same way V_V

Orange Soda on
This discussion has been closed.