As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finding other cool blogs

theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm starting a blog about my life in general and trying to battle my social anxiety (I think it should be pretty interesting material as over time its generally about me going out and having hilariously awkward conversations with people at bars, but anyway) and I often see the best advice to get readers drawn in is to read and comment on other blogs (and just not suck as a writer)

The thing is, how do I find these other blogs?

I've only just noticed that it's difficult to be able to just search for blogs of people just talking about their life. Even the "blog search" websites just end up pointing to political blogs, scientific blogs and journalistic blogs.

So, where do I look for these things?

theSquid on

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I know there's tons of people here in PA that have blogs. Most(like myself) advertise it in their sig.

I dunno, finding a (life in general) blog might be a bit hard, or not as interesting. Most succesful blogs tend to focus on a particular hobby or interest. What are yours?

noir_blood on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Start by looking at a few random blogs (like mine, http://www.clintonhillfoodie.com). Check out what other blogs they link to. Check out the personal blogs or sites for some of the authors of blogs you like. Google for blogs about subjects you find interesting. Peruse blogrolls on blogs on subjects you find interesting. Click, read, repeat.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, check out people's sigs around these parts, and pretty much on any forum. Most people link their blogs through them. Like me!

Kyougu on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I forgot to mention, you might try plurk.com. It's a bit like twitter, in that it's a micro-blog sort of thing, but at the same time it's also like a mini forum. Check it out.

noir_blood on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Read Boing Boing and Bad Signal.

Mai-Kero on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Well, I know there's tons of people here in PA that have blogs. Most(like myself) advertise it in their sig.

I dunno, finding a (life in general) blog might be a bit hard, or not as interesting. Most succesful blogs tend to focus on a particular hobby or interest. What are yours?

Well I'm not really looking to be "successful", per se, just knowing that I have a few people reading is fine. I'm keeping it fairly anonymous though.

My hobbies though are guitar and performing comedy (and coding/gaming, though there's no way in hell I'd want the blog to be steered that way, if anything the aim is to go the opposite direction)

theSquid on