As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Druid Thread: CLOSED FOR FLEA SPRAYING

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I was just reading the Beta forums - they really are more polite and have blue feedback. Although this is still closed beta right?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So I was just reading the Beta forums - they really are more polite and have blue feedback. Although this is still closed beta right?

Yeah but beta forums are always nicer. They go to shit once the public gets involved.

You'll notice on the blue tracker that a good chunk of blue posts are the CMs locking non-productive threads.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think the best thing that Blizzard could do would be to make any +armor on items not be multiplied by bear form. Chance the display to armor: 500+200. Without the itemization issues coming from +armor, where +100 armor is worth much, much more than +7 agility (they cost the same amount), they can then just up the dire bear form multiplier to give druids the right amount of armor, and they don't need to worry about making specific, high-armor leather tanking pieces. Druids are "better" than they should be (and nerfed in other ways to make up for it) because they get so much out of the +armor on their items, compared to any stat for any class.

Garthor on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, I love me some bear tanking and I'll be sad if it's subpar(even though I'll probably resto or balance), but I think people are really not giving Blizz enough credit here, considering all the other awesome design changes they've been making so far in the expac. Even if bears launch as poor tanks, Blizz will catch it and rectify it before long, and probably before most of us are raid tanking.

If anything, I'd be more worried about their new take on tanking as a whole, rather than anything specific to Druids.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think there's really room to complain when they've said they want to push Druids and Paladins to the top where Warriors are at in terms of tanking, there's room to complain if they say they've reach their stated goal and it's not getting done, but it's still very much a work in progress.

Mgcw on
    edited August 2008
    More Blue posts. This makes me feel a lot better. I just wish we had more info. There's just this huge abyss of things we don't know about these extensive tanking changes. And lets face it I felt a little burned after they nerfed Druids almost immediately after Burning Crusade launched.

I'm done worrying about armor and stuff for now, but I'll be watching the eventual lvl 77-80 info VERY closely.
    We are just asking for you to think carefully when you make these decisions, because some methods of tanking are better than others in lots of situations, including in 5 mans, soloing and duoing mobs. The one you are suggesting for druids leave a lot to be desired in every aspect.

Tanks need armor, tanks need avoidance, tanks need health and tanks need threat generation. A few oh snap abilities don't hurt either. That applies to all 4 classes and any differences in the final numbers will almost certainly be minor... because if they aren't, then a class risks being unable to tank a particular boss. Believe me, we do understand the math.

I also hope you can appreciate that whenever I say the goal is to have 4 classes that can tank any encounter, some players worry about homogenization and losing what is unique and precious to them about their class. When I assert that we'll try to keep classes as different as possible (without violating the primary goal of letting them tank), other players interpret that as "Oh, so we get to be the crappy tank?" :)

A particular class MIGHT be better at a particular encounter. We're okay with that as long as A) you aren't prevented from progressing if you lack that class, and B) your class is less desirable because it is seen as less effective.

Bears need to be compensated for less bonus armor on leather and lack of parry and block. Period. We haven't added those talents or bonuses or whatever they are going to end up being yet because the game isn't in a state where we could say e.g. what amount of armor a L80 tank needs to handle Patchwerk. Pointing out where you think bears (or any class) fall short in mitigation (or any aspect of tanking) is helpful. This is a beta though, and there is going to be a lot of iteration until we're happy with everything.

MuddBudd on
  • dawningphoenixdawningphoenix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm disappointed by the lack of mention of Libeartarians in the title.

dawningphoenix on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Libertreerians!

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Caedere wrote: »

Libertreerians!

Hmm. Rolls off the tongue... Perhaps tumbles is more accurate.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I have a few questions. Currently my druid is 55.

1.) Should I go to Outland at 58 or 60? I keep hearing different things. Some people say yes, some say no.

2.) When I do go to Outland, would it be a good time to go resto? I have been playing feral since level 1 and never really healed. But, I want to end up healing in BG's and raids eventually.

I think that's it. I am getting excited about heading to Outland soon.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Feral Druids are great solo'ers, you can hit Outland at 58 with less problems than most other classes. I'd wait untill level 70 before you go resto, nothing from 58-69 needs it if you pick up some healing gear whilst you level.

815165 on
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I went to Outlands at 58 on my shadowpriest/alchemist alt, and came to regret it. I kept my druid in the old world until 60 and it's worked out rather nicely.

Having said that, I've heard several people advocate going to Outland briefly at 58 for some of the gear-up quests and then going back to old world and running it dry. I may try this on my rogue, if I get a chance before WotLK hits (priority right now is getting said druid to 70 though).

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I went to outlands at 58 on my feral druid and almost died, or did die many times. you hav eto be very careful.

but then i had a friend of mine run me through some quests on his 70 hunter in S2. So i leveled to 61 from 59 in like 3 hours lol.

ghost_master2000 on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    suadeo wrote: »

1.) Should I go to Outland at 58 or 60? I keep hearing different things. Some people say yes, some say no.

2.) When I do go to Outland, would it be a good time to go resto? I have been playing feral since level 1 and never really healed. But, I want to end up healing in BG's and raids eventually.

Get a partner and go at 56 or 57. Spec resto if you plan on instancing your way to 70.

TL DR on
    edited August 2008

Get a partner and go at 56 or 57. Spec resto if you plan on instancing your way to 70.

Don't you have to be 57 to even set foot in Outland? Well, other than getting a summon, but you probably won't be able to pick up the quests.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To get the quests yes, but the mobs (if you can kill em at 57, which is doable with a partner) award stupid high experience, and are probably better xp per hour than quests in Azeroth, with the added bonus of getting 300+ tradeskills mats (runecloth for FA, meats for cooking, motes, etc etc).

Bigity on
    edited August 2008
    Ah, fair point.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't know why you would spec Resto for instancing. Tanks are usually much more in demand, and you can tank just fine in whatever gear you pick up in outlands. For that matter, you could probably heal just fine as long as you're smart about picking up an off-spec gear set.

Mobile-D on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't leveled to 60 recently, but I thought I heard that the exp increase in quests/mobs was only in Azeroth and so it makes more sense to level to 60 before going to Outland. I may be wrong though.

Opty on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mobile-D wrote: »
    I don't know why you would spec Resto for instancing. Tanks are usually much more in demand, and you can tank just fine in whatever gear you pick up in outlands. For that matter, you could probably heal just fine as long as you're smart about picking up an off-spec gear set.

Healers are harder to find pre-70. A dps spec war/pal/dru can slap on a shield/go bear and tank the lower level instances, whereas a dps healer is going to need an entirely new set of gear aside from priests which most people don't bother putting together.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It takes a little more than just slapping on a shield to tank TBC instances. Just like healers need proper healing gear, the tank needs proper tanking gear.

reVerse on
    edited August 2008
    Also, does anyone know of any addon that tracks whether or not your target has a Mangle on it? I mean, it's pretty simple to track my own Mangles, but in multi-Feral situations where I'm not the tank it would be handy to know whether or not the other Druid (say, someone tanking a boss in AV) is keeping Mangle on the target. You'd think they do, but I've encountered a lot of Ferals who don't Mangle on every cooldown.

Also also, I'm not sure if this was posted yet, but here's supposedly the new Lich King Arena Season 1 Druid set. Notice that it doesn't have any intellect on it. Here's some staffs.

reVerse on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I need two macro's.
    Mangle if I'm out of stealth, and pounce if I'm in stealth.
    And the same for shred and ravage.

Rizzi on
    edited August 2008
    Found this on the Druid wiki:

Pounce / Mangle
    /cast [nostealth] Mangle (Cat)(); [stealth] Pounce

Basically, if you replace Mangle (Cat) with Shred, and Pounce with Ravage, it should work for those too. I mean, assuming this macro works in the first place, I haven't tried it myself.

reVerse on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No more strength on those pieces either interestingly enough.

shadowane on
    edited August 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

Pounce / Mangle

Basically, if you replace Mangle (Cat) with Shred, and Pounce with Ravage, it should work for those too. I mean, assuming this macro works in the first place, I haven't tried it myself.

:^:
    Exactly what I needed.

Rizzi on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Don't you have to be 57 to even set foot in Outland? Well, other than getting a summon, but you probably won't be able to pick up the quests.

There's an area to the east of Honor Hold, with a vendor/repairer/etc... surrounded by Boars. If you're rested, this place is wonderful for level 55-56. You can get amazing EXP if you're a good solo'ing class. My Feral druid was able to do it with no problem... got to 58 (and subsequently 60) in a day from 55. Just avoid the orcs and worms. Shadow priest is also another perfect class for this area.

GPIA7R on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The level 59 demons and boars next to thrallmar are also easy kills. The only trouble might be the imp packs which always chain pull 3 imps. You might think that the infernals and doomguards strutting around stomping on everything would be challenging. But really they're just huge pussies.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited August 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Pounce / Mangle

:^:
    Exactly what I needed.

Doesn't a completely different hotbar pop up when you're stealthed?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited August 2008
    Nope.

Rizzi on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah!
    So after 1 and a half years my friends finally dragged me back into this game, and im playing my druid again.
    Now all my druid mods are horribly outdated and i would like some advice on which ones to get. My focus will probably be on pvp/ 5 mans as I am trying to stay away from raiding. The mods I have that still work are the mana bar so I can see how much mana i have whilst i am shifted and my gear changer. Are there any superior timing mods out there or anything else that you have found convenient to use while playing? Sorry if this has been asked 1000 times before, i didnt see anything in the OP
    Thanks!

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
    edited August 2008
    Generally, Druidbar and Itemrack are all I really need on my druid, in terms of mods specific to that class.

MuddBudd on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd guess for pvp you'd go for the main feral set with a mix of the healer/nuker belt/bracers/boots to make up any int if you choose to. The only difference between nuker/healer is one has crit where the other has spirit. Crit is the same for casters/melee alike now IIRC so taking 'nuker' for the int would boost our crit at the expense of spirit.

Statwise the druid melee set and rogue set are identical. There is a bonus to deadly throw on the rogue gloves and the set bonus is different but other than that nothing.

danx on
    edited August 2008
    danx wrote: »
    Statwise the druid melee set and rogue set are identical. There is a bonus to deadly throw on the rogue gloves and the set bonus is different but other than that nothing.

Errr...

Where did the Maim silence effect go on those gloves?

MuddBudd on
    edited August 2008
    danx on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    danx wrote: »

Errr...

Where did the Maim silence effect go on those gloves?

Here.

I suppose they're working on finding a new set bonus. I'm rooting for a 0.1s reduction on the cooldown for Maim.

Garthor on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll put a bet in for 20% more damage before Maim breaks.

Mgcw on
    edited August 2008
    I'm rooting for the classic -0.1s casting time on Cyclone.

reVerse on
    edited August 2008
    No way. It'll reduce the mana cost of moonfire.

Rizzi on
    edited August 2008
    uh... according to mmo-champion undocumented changes swipe now hits 4 targets. With the glyph that'd mean 5 targets. Sweet.

danx on