As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Druid Thread: CLOSED FOR FLEA SPRAYING

1565758596062»

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For all specs you're going to talent differently for PvP, even if in most cases it's just swapping a couple of talents around.

Opty on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    For completeness, 3.0 is when SotF was given the daze immune feature. One thing I never tested is if the immunity only applies to +3 mobs at the highest, while red mobs and up could still daze (just like they can daze someone with 540 defense).

Well, having tanked Anub on 25-man via the kiting method, I can say I've never been dazed by him.

Raid bosses are +3.

Yes but when was the last time you saw a lvl 84 mob?
    Seeing >+3 mobs on non-level capped characters is not an uncommon occurrence.

Isn't context wonderful, folks?

forty on
  • Options
    Mammy Two-ShoesMammy Two-Shoes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A friend and I took his pally and my druid to 60 almost exclusively through vanilla instancing. I was dire bear most of that time, and when I played cat, I played it poorly. I'm now soloing this druid through outlands and discovering how poorly I know the class, especially cat form.

In looking around for basics on cat form, all I can find is a lot of high-level stuff on DPS, etc. Would someone provide some advise on what my basic attack rotation should be for a given mob at this point? (I'm one level from Mangle right now as I went for OOC, so tips with and without mangle are appreciated.) Anything beyond that is gravy. I've never rogued before so please--if you have the patience--do not take the energy/combo pts concept for granted.

As it stands, I've got every cat form ability hotkeyed, and I'm fumbling around out there trying to cram what should have been 20+ levels of experience into a few hours. It's an ugly, shameful sight.

Mammy Two-Shoes on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Rip at 4CPs used to be the way in TBC, probably still is. And, uh, Mangle a bit?

Actually, Rip is now good at 5 CPs because it scales these days (in the past that last combo point just gave a flat damage increase, that's been changed).

Basically:
    * Keep Savage Roar up
    * Keep Mangle up (assuming you don't have a mangle or trauma bot)
    * Keep Rake ticking
    * Keep Rip ticking
    * Use TF whenever it's up and you have < 40 energy
    * Use Berserk early so you have a shot at using it a second time during the fight, generally after a TF when you're close to full energy

And, assuming you keep all that going, have plenty of time on all your timers, and are ~35 energy go ahead and toss in the occasional FB to boot.

(P.S. - 3.8K DPS in half blues isn't exactly something to be ashamed of... )

I suppose it isn't terrible, but I had trouble believing that I would close to double my DPS output by just replacing my blues... would I?

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    A friend and I took his pally and my druid to 60 almost exclusively through vanilla instancing. I was dire bear most of that time, and when I played cat, I played it poorly. I'm now soloing this druid through outlands and discovering how poorly I know the class, especially cat form.

In looking around for basics on cat form, all I can find is a lot of high-level stuff on DPS, etc. Would someone provide some advise on what my basic attack rotation should be for a given mob at this point? (I'm one level from Mangle right now as I went for OOC, so tips with and without mangle are appreciated.) Anything beyond that is gravy. I've never rogued before so please--if you have the patience--do not take the energy/combo pts concept for granted.

As it stands, I've got every cat form ability hotkeyed, and I'm fumbling around out there trying to cram what should have been 20+ levels of experience into a few hours. It's an ugly, shameful sight.

It's alright - I was in the same boat as you were. I powerleveled my druid through the recruit-a-friend feature, and I hit level 60 without ever playing the character. I had to train every skill from 1-60, then pick all my talents, and boy was that fun.

Until you get mangle, what I would do is always open from stealth with either Ravage or Pounce. If you Pounce, then Shred after you pounce. After the shred, you should be able to finish the mob off with either a ferocious bite or a claw then ferocious bite. If you Ravage, then just claw once or twice and ferocious bite to finish it off. You won't get savage roar until 75, so don't worry about that. Once you get Mangle, replace the claws with mangle spam and call it good.

rehtonAesoohC on
  • Options
    Killer AvacadoKiller Avacado Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Oh man...

Okay, first thing is that solo is going to be a lot of personal options over min-max. So advice is all well, fine, and good as long as you keep in mind that you aren't going to be "doing it wrong".

Second thing - I'd seriously recomend dropping Omen in favor of Mangle. Mangle completely replaces Claw, and your damage will go through the roof. Yes, you'll miss Omen. Yes, Mangle is that good by comparison.

Third thing - I'd consider dropping the other 10 points out of Resto in order to pick up King of the Jungle and Rend and Tear (though R&T is going to be less fantastic come patch 3.1 which is just around the corner, so YMMV). King of the Jungle just about doubles your kill speed as it gives you 60 energy on demand every 30 seconds, meaning you can dump your energy bar that much faster.

So, your basic killing is going to revolve around a few things - mainly your playstyle and a few talent choices.

Basic rules: Use King of the Jungle (when you get it) whenever your energy is < 40 and it's off cooldown; use Ferocious Bite whenever your energy is ~35 (any higher than that and you're throwing the excess energy out the window).

With Brutal Impact, Rend & Tear, and Shredding Attacks: Pounce --> Mangle --> Shred --> Mangle --> Ferocious Bite (if the pounce bleed falls off before bite lands you'll need to apply a Rake first)

With Improved Mangle and none of those three: Pounce --> Mangle --> Mangle --> Mangle --> Ferocious Bite.

When you get Maim, you can use a Maim instead of FB as your finisher. This allows you to get behind the mob and Shred another time or two (make sure it's got a bleed up before you start Shredding). If you didn't take those three talents listed above, then Maim becomes more of an "oh shit/interrupt" kind of a move instead of an integral positional part of your rotation.

That should last you through low-to-mid 70's.

Once you get the upgraded moves you can drop the stealth portion and just run around doing Mangle --> Rake --> Mangle --> Mangle --> Bite.

Just a few ideas.

Killer Avacado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks to both of the above.

re: RAF
    My pally friend and I were on RAF, so we were pugging instances above us or duo'ing instances just below us (but still green) and loving 3x XP the whole time. We spent as little time as possible in town, so we really only skilled up every 6-10 levels. It wasn't the best way to learn the class, but we saw a lot of old content. It was a good way for us to get back into the game after a 3+ year absence.

re: OOC and resto
    I'm not married to OOC and those 11 resto pts by any means, and I have no problem with re-specs. I'd like to get through the 60s as efficiently as possible (my paladin friend sprinted ahead to 68, and I want to catch up), so if full-on feral is what does that, then that's what I want to do. I figured the ability to throw faster heals on myself, the +10% dmg, the free rage/energy on shift, and the free, extra moves through clearcast would be worth the 11 points. Clearcast seems to proc a lot, so I would think it's saving me a lot of rage/energy/mana, but I couldn't put a figure to that estimate and then tie it in to how it's helping me kill mob A this much faster or hold aggro on mobs X-Z that much better.

Anyhow, now's a good time to respec, because I can try it out and use 3.1 as an excuse to fine-tune or go back. I'll give full feral a try. It's where I wanted to be in the end (wasn't planning on going beyond 11 in resto), I guess I just had the timing off with those 11 pts.

Mammy Two-Shoes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    By 71 (probably 70 even, as Berserk doesn't really do much for you soloing) you'll want to have those 11 points in Resto, it's always the question on when to pick them up.

If you go the full blown Feral (which is a great way to go) I'd probably start chewing back up the Resto tree right away. Possibly to the extent of starting with your first point in there with your respec...

Killer Avacado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If you go the full blown Feral (which is a great way to go) I'd probably start chewing back up the Resto tree right away. Possibly to the extent of starting with your first point in there with your respec...
    Just curious, though, in your message above I got the feeling that you're of the mind that energy/rage generation is not a problem, so in the way of distributing those 11 pts, are you throwing the 5 on the first tier into the reduced pushback/imp mark, or are you sticking them in the insta-rage/eng on shift? I lean toward the latter, but only because I'm accustomed to it.

Mammy Two-Shoes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Just curious, though, in your message above I got the feeling that you're of the mind that energy/rage generation is not a problem, so in the way of distributing those 11 pts, are you throwing the 5 on the first tier into the reduced pushback/imp mark, or are you sticking them in the insta-rage/eng on shift? I lean toward the latter, but only because I'm accustomed to it.

I'm full 5-points in Furor as well. It's not that the resto tree is bad or useless - it's just that I think you get more bang out of going 50 deep into Feral first and then filling those 11 points after.

Notice though, the talent has gone through a fairly massive change for kitties. You can't power shift any more to gain 60 energy for the cost of some mana and a global any more. Now you regain energy when you're in another form, and when you go into cat you get to keep 20 energy per point (up to a full energy bar).

It's hot, but for leveling you shouldn't need it much since you shouldn't be needing to swap back and forth between forms. The idea is to make things die fast enough that you won't need to self-heal as you grind, and bear is for tanking and not leveling (unless you're like me and like to occasionally PBAoE grind a bit to mix things up :) ).

Killer Avacado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Take furor, not imp motw/focus, for leveling.

Also, if you're starting fights out of stealth, lead with a Feral Faerie Fire while you're running toward the mob. Until 3.1, FFF is a big damage boost for mangle spam. The spell costs nothing, so there's really no reason not to.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mangle should have been your first priority over OoC, so that was a mistake there. Mangle basically gives you the power of Shred but from any direction, it enables you to not need to bother with stealth and to just run between mobs mangling, raking, and FBing. You'll want King of the Jungle and Rend and Tear before moving into Resto mainly because you won't need Furor that much since you won't be shifting too often since everything will be dying.

That said, Furor is by far the best 5 points a Feral can put into the first tier of the Resto tree right now. In 3.1 though with Imp MotW giving 1% stats to the druid per point, it's not as cut and dry.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    For leveling in 3.1 and beyond, I still don't think imp MotW will be that big of a deal for a feral.

I would not go for KotJ and R&T after getting mangle, though. I prefer +10% to ALL damage and OoC (which will generally proc at least twice per every time you can use Tiger's Fury, and is also much more useful in bear form than KotJ) first to the bottom tier feral talents, especially with R&T being nerfed to hell in 3.1.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    For leveling in 3.1 and beyond, I still don't think imp MotW will be that big of a deal for a feral.

I would not go for KotJ and R&T after getting mangle, though. I prefer +10% to ALL damage and OoC (which will generally proc at least twice per every time you can use Tiger's Fury, and is also much more useful in bear form than KotJ) first to the bottom tier feral talents, especially with R&T being nerfed to hell in 3.1.

KotJ / R&T vs Naturalist / OoC I see as a personal choice. Things were dying so fast at 70 that OoC wasn't proccing much for me, though I wasn't chain pulling mobs either. Typically I'd use TF every other kill, and I'd end up with an Omen proc every other kill (it seemed like).

Even with the nerf, R&T will still be a nice buff to your typical finisher when grinding. What else are you going to use combo points on when you're solo? Not having the almost guaranteed crit will suck for leveling folks, but it's something at least.

Ultimately both directions are doable, I don't think there's enough of a gain either way to make one head and shoulders above the other (except maybe dropping R&T whenever 3.1 hits in favor of going futher down Resto and then picking it up later... I can see that being a good option).

Killer Avacado on
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not enough resto chat in this thread.

What are you guys doing with your 3 extra talent points that got kicked out of the haste talents in the balance tree - Revitalization?

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Also, if you're starting fights out of stealth, lead with a Feral Faerie Fire while you're running toward the mob. Until 3.1, FFF is a big damage boost for mangle spam. The spell costs nothing, so there's really no reason not to.

Once you get catswipe, your fastest method of completing "Kill X number of mobs" quests is to pop barkskin and dash, run around picking up X number of mobs, pop Berserk and start swiping.

You can usually get 7 or 8 at once, which makes questing so much simpler.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

KotJ / R&T vs Naturalist / OoC I see as a personal choice. Things were dying so fast at 70 that OoC wasn't proccing much for me, though I wasn't chain pulling mobs either. Typically I'd use TF every other kill, and I'd end up with an Omen proc every other kill (it seemed like).

Even with the nerf, R&T will still be a nice buff to your typical finisher when grinding. What else are you going to use combo points on when you're solo? Not having the almost guaranteed crit will suck for leveling folks, but it's something at least.

Ultimately both directions are doable, I don't think there's enough of a gain either way to make one head and shoulders above the other (except maybe dropping R&T whenever 3.1 hits in favor of going futher down Resto and then picking it up later... I can see that being a good option).
    Well, note that I used language like "I would" and "I prefer." If you ever do instances while leveling up, I find the resto talents to be far more useful than the feral ones. If you're like me, you frequently won't end up with a tank in the group so you'll volunteer for it, and the resto talents definitely benefit bear more than the feral ones. And even if you're catting an instance, I find the sustained increase of the resto talents outweighs the burst of the feral ones.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Well, note that I used language like "I would" and "I prefer." If you ever do instances while leveling up, I find the resto talents to be far more useful than the feral ones. If you're like me, you frequently won't end up with a tank in the group so you'll volunteer for it, and the resto talents definitely benefit bear more than the feral ones. And even if you're catting an instance, I find the sustained increase of the resto talents outweighs the burst of the feral ones.

Agree 110%.

I tend to level solo unless my wife pulls me into an instance group. I find something very cathartic about mindless solo questing, and I think part of it is a holdover from when questing was head and shoulders above instancing for XP/hour.

So yeah, I think we're coming down to a "there is no wrong answer" kind of a wrapup when it comes to those last points.

Killer Avacado on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not enough resto chat in this thread.

What are you guys doing with your 3 extra talent points that got kicked out of the haste talents in the balance tree - Revitalization?

Why would you dump Nature's Grace? Nourish (and Regrowth) will still crit a good deal, and the haste is now 20 percent over 3 seconds. I'm not sure what else you'd take. Revitalize still looks like lackluster to me.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    For me, I don't use Nature's Grace because I don't like unpredictability in my healing rotation due to healing proactively rather than reactively. Plus the change to it makes it worse for Resto since before you could save it until you needed to heal, now you need to use it or lose it.

The build I'll probably use is [url=]http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=0xG0zZZf0IubugiuVIsVo]this one[/url] where I'm still undecided on which of the first tier balance talents to take. I'm going to dual spec with Balance and probably use this build.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Opty wrote: »
    For me, I don't use Nature's Grace because I don't like unpredictability in my healing rotation due to healing proactively rather than reactively. Plus the change to it makes it worse for Resto since before you could save it until you needed to heal, now you need to use it or lose it.

The build I'll probably use is [url=]http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=0xG0zZZf0IubugiuVIsVo]this one[/url] where I'm still undecided on which of the first tier balance talents to take. I'm going to dual spec with Balance and probably use this build.

That's my spec for exactly the same reason. I've got a set of haste gear and I'm wondering how quickly it will drain my mana pool.

Edit - wait, no, I'd put 5 points in Genesis, not Starlight Wrath.

This is what I'm thinking.

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, something to think about :)

Bigity on
  • Options
    magikmushrmmagikmushrm Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDy-pbci6_g

All druid 10 man naxx on Ravenholdt

something to watch while patch day ticks by

edit:
    oh yeah i got my name changed to Cowsean

someone didnt think Cowjohn was RP enough for an RP server

jerks

magikmushrm on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm really wondering where Lifebloom is going to fit into my rotation. I can't see NOT rolling 3x on a primary tank target, but I wonder if throwing 1x around the raid will pay any dividends.

Also does anyone know if the nourish glyph (which will stack DELICIOUSLY with T7 4 piece) will take an extra 6% for wild growth as well as regrowth, rejuv and lifebloom HOTs?

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm really wondering where Lifebloom is going to fit into my rotation. I can't see NOT rolling 3x on a primary tank target, but I wonder if throwing 1x around the raid will pay any dividends.

I think the general idea is that rolling 3 on the MT is okay; but keeping 3-stacks rolling on 2-3 targets will drain you dry.

However, using one when an OoC proc comes up will actually net you mana now (not a whole lot, but hey it's something).

Killer Avacado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hm, hadn't thought about the OoC thing. I need to get some sort of mod that will flash that as an alert in the middle of my screen

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Once you get catswipe, your fastest method of completing "Kill X number of mobs" quests is to pop barkskin and dash, run around picking up X number of mobs, pop Berserk and start swiping.

You can usually get 7 or 8 at once, which makes questing so much simpler.

7 or 8? Pff, sissy. Real men get like 15.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok that 10m all druid naxx made me laugh... SO MANY LITTLE TREES!

I loved the part at anub'rekhan where all the treants go flying.

rehtonAesoohC on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok

Resto mods. What do I want?

People mention Grid a lot. Is that all I need?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Some people like Hotcandy or whatever else performs a similar function.
    Lifeblooms that you let bloom should actually cost you less net mana in 3.1 than they do in 3.0, unless that changed at some point in the last month of PTR. That is if it wasn't a ">3" stack of them.

forty on
  • Options
    magikmushrmmagikmushrm Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok

I didn't like grid much but most healers I know swear by it.

magikmushrm on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok

I use Grid for everything, I use clique to shift left / right click abolish poison / remove curse. Some people use clique to cast hots on grid but I find just binding 1-4 and q and e to my spells allows me more than enough options to click on grid with my right mouse and cast with my left.

Check out www.resto4life.com - they have a whole section (even though the site isn't being updated anymore) to set up grid to

a) Have a colored countdown timer for lifebloom (red - 1 stack, yellow - 2 stack, green - 3 stack)
    b) show which folks have swiftmendable hots on them (awesome if you run with another truid and have swiftmend glyphed)
    c) have color-fading dots for regrowth and rejuv countdowns

I can't emphasize how much my grid kicks ass thanks to this - I don't have to watch timer bars like hotimer or chronometer in the middle of my screen while I'm focusing on my raid UI.

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What about healbot? That sounds good too.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What about healbot? That sounds good too.

Some people like it, sure - I haven't used it much, not sure what it does for HoT tracking which is primarily what you need as a Truid (at least in my experience in raiding). Most healers I play with use Clique and Grid, for whatever that's worth. Grid IncomingHeals was great until it broke - gave you an idea of where Harry Healbomb the Holy Paladin was going to drop his load ahead of time, so you could watch your HoTs get washed away.

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Need thread incoming. Fresh patch and stale puns.

Assuming I don't swear off WoW entirely, I'll probably grind out some Moonkin gear. Maybe Resto. But I'm so incredibly skeptical that Feral is going to be worth a damn in this season.

EDIT: New thread is up.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png