As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen Earth] All things come to an end. Then the fun starts.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How many people are actually playing this? Is it a desolate wasteland? I haven't heard anyone talking about this game.

I really want to jump on the sale... But if it closes up shop in a year then...

urahonky on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am probably going to pick this up tommorow. Any tips for a newb? I'm interested in the scavenging and crafting abilities but wonder if that will leave me totally gimped in combat.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Game is patched an awaiting my return home. First MMO I didn't jump on at launch. We'll see how this goes.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scavenging and crafting are in your tradeskills.

And it won't totally gimp you in combat if you pump your points into intelligence/perception to improve them. Plus, you'll be making good gear for your level.

Add Juan (me) to your friends if you get a little lost, Sonork too - he's probably willing to help with newbie questions.

Glad to see more people jumping in from PA.

Quick newbie guide to getting your first horse:

You'll need maybe 3 blue chips max; head to the nearest stable, buy an untrained horse, basic animal training kit, 3 horsefeed, 5 rugged leather. Go to nature trainer, learn Horse Training book. Craft your horse!

GhostManOnThird on
  • Options
    GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Think I used to play with you on WoW way back in the day, pre-BC, in Obsidian Spur, Rorus. Was a troll priest named Iokie - you might not remember but hey!

GhostManOnThird on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, if I don't have SP3 on my XP, will this game just refuse to run?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, to you dudes buying the game. Feel free to toss us your nifty buddy trial eh? Eh?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    LandeydaLandeyda Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    Hey, to you dudes buying the game. Feel free to toss us your nifty buddy trial eh? Eh?

I'm not entirely sure we got a buddy key with the Steam version. At least I haven't found it yet.

EDIT: After a bit of research, it seems only the boxes versions got a buddy key. Lame.

Landeyda on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    A shame the OP doesn't seem to be active, someone changing the thread title to show when those trials are out would be useful.

Arthil on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck, I bought this game.

Why did I buy this game? I don't have the time!

Though for 25 bucks I'll make time.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I remember you, Iokie. And I got a horse from the tutorial missions from some thief.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fucking install faster. Fuck.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I tried this for awhile in the beta but I was totally obsessed with EVE so didn't play much. How is the game in terms of lag/polish now? The steam offer looks extremely tempting. I've got vacation time in December and some of this stuff looks much more entertaining than scanning for shit in EVE. :)

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PvP in this game looks really weird. I just watched a 6min video of some recent PvP of what I think was high tiered and well geared people and it was just...weird.

It was a bunch of guys, all seemingly in extremely similar outfits who kept shooting each other in the head 20 times with sniper rifles (with little effect) and numbers popping up above them.

Was kind of hoping the FPS mechanics would be a bit more traditional, and a little less MMO-y.

I've been sitting on the fence firmly since FE was in early beta but I just don't see myself playing this game much, and especially not with a monthly fee. However, it looks like it could become something neat in the future maybe.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    About 30 minutes left on the steam offer.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    God this game does not want me to play it before I need to sleep for work does it? Stop updating shit already.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Doesn't look like I'll be getting this after all, USAA decided not to pay us early this time. Oh well, next time I guess.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    *Hopes someone gets the fucking boxed version* x_x

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Why?

He wants a buddy trial key.

And looks like the Steam deal will last a while longer, it's still 24.99. So I ought to be able to get this after all.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I played for a while last night, and honestly....eeehhh.

I'll be giving it some more time, but I am so assaulted with information that I am kind of lost, I also feel like a freaking retard.

My character dies/struggles/fails at simple things, one thing an MMO has to do to keep me playing is make me feel powerful, even if its just for the first few levels. I also don't like having to build EVERYTHING from level 1.

But I'll give it some time...

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I played for a while last night, and honestly....eeehhh.

I'll be giving it some more time, but I am so assaulted with information that I am kind of lost, I also feel like a freaking retard.

My character dies/struggles/fails at simple things, one thing an MMO has to do to keep me playing is make me feel powerful, even if its just for the first few levels. I also don't like having to build EVERYTHING from level 1.

But I'll give it some time...

I am different. While I understand how you feel, and can enjoy that too. I rather like starting out meager and building myself up to something much greater.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Patching... Sigh... The only bad thing about MMOs.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm dying to play the game, but I'm broke, so if anyone has a spare buddy key lemme know.

Is there a concerted effort for PA yet?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2009
    So... Played it for a while. It's not very good at all. It lacks polish and it's pretty boring.

I don't know... Maybe it'll get better over time, but it's not very good now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    So... Played it for a while. It's not very good at all. It lacks polish and it's pretty boring.

That was my first impression too. But after some time invested, I'm seeing a pretty good game behind it.

My only real qualm is the slow leveling, and the fact that I look like a tard.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would say give it at least to level 6ish. Gathering/crafter is what has kept me interested. Also Sector 2 pans out nicely. FE it does start out boring and it is very rough and unpolished (hate strafe animation) i'd suggest asking any questions you have in the help channel. It's very useful.

Some usful info:

- You can set waypoints by right clicking on your map, alt-p will bring up waypoints you've made and you can cycle through them.

- Melee is great for the beginning, saves ammo. When dual wielding melee weapons hold "left" and "right" click for chainsaw type damage.

- Aiming at the head does more damage.. even with melee weapons.

- Doing all the missions in starting towns will probobly net you most of the low level skill books. So you won't need to buy as many.

- Raising your END/COOR will set your maximum armor use higher so can put more points into armor use to wear better armor.

- INT raises maxium cap of all tradeskills

- Dreadnaught stance is great for low levels of all type. (it increases your armor) it's found on armor use trainers.

- Scavenging cars yields large amount of metals/components.

- If you do the first 3 or so missions from the lifenet guy you'll get a horse.

- You should get moneys and get a better horse quickly cause old nag sucks.. but is useful for travelling between towns at the start.

- Put your heaviest shit in your horse's inventory. It pops up when you're close to the horse, inventory is in the info tab.

- Press M to bring up the map click off/on overhead to switch between the zone map and the overhead map. Overhead map is really useful for finding merchants and other NPCs in towns, you can hover over the chip icons to find merchants quickly.

- All your crafting continues even while offline, you can queue stuff up.

- Cemented pole is awesome. XD

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This game needs jousting from motorcycles/horses if it doesn't allow it already.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The lack of polish can generally be overlooked, except in combat. I went melee and the buggy animations just kills any sense of immersion and timing. Just wildly swing at shit and hope for the best. Gunplay lacks oomph, but stills feels satisfying. They need to get melee to a similar level as soon as possible.

As I do more missions, the game slowly becomes more compelling. There's major dropoff in quality between the tutorial and the newbie missions after the Hoover Dam. I wasn't expecting voice acting throughout, but the lines are bad in some places and delivery can be even worse. The quests are boring with lots of walking: why is the horse the last thing I get?

After the game stops holding your hand and dumps you into the waste to sink or swim, things level out. There's a large number of missions to do at your leisure, the trainers have an overwhelming amount of crafting knowledge to bestow and the immediate area is peppered with resources to plunder and enemies to murder. Levels seem arbitrary, but the constant flow of AP keeps you connected to the character and takes out the grind feeling.

It's nothing new, but strangely compelling. Part of it is the immersion. Knowing your horse won't come out of thing air when a button is pressed, cooking meals to aid you in some mission slog and making sure Whiskers is fed before going out on a trek. It's a shame that this is shattered once I attack an enemy.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Funny thing is it's mostly the male melee animations. Female character animations are much smoother with less jitter than males. I've /bugged it.. no clue when the male melee animation will get smoothed out. It annoys the hell out of me too.

Also anyone whos sticking around make sure to add me to your friends list, i've finished S1 but can give advice and help and shit if need be. Also playing with more PA'ers is always good.

I'm Sonork in game.

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Do you play in the 3rd or 1st view? Because playing melee like an fps is horrible. Weapons sometimes don't animate and the cooldown timer for them is awful. And if you switch weapons or reload the arms will glitch out for a bit (holding my pipes like a two-handed board). Playable, but not that satisfying for someone that's been playing Left 4 Dead 2.

I also noticed that you have a small but noticeable freeze when you land from a jump. Just little things I hope they iron out.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Do you play in the 3rd or 1st view? Because playing melee like an fps is horrible. Weapons sometimes don't animate and the cooldown timer for them is awful. And if you switch weapons or reload the arms will glitch out for a bit (holding my pipes like a two-handed board). Playable, but not that satisfying for someone that's been playing Left 4 Dead 2.

I also noticed that you have a small but noticeable freeze when you land from a jump. Just little things I hope they iron out.

I play 3rd person for melee. Yeah 1st person for anything but guns is shitty imo. Also that pause is to prevent people from jumping around like crackrabbits while in combat i'm guessing.

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am really struggling with this game. I want to like it, but really...I am just having issue with direction.

If I just harvest and build, can I get some of that fancy looking armor? or is that more of a money/level thing?

What about better guns? I want to be a pistol-leer, but I just hate the Zip guns....

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

That was my first impression too. But after some time invested, I'm seeing a pretty good game behind it.

My only real qualm is the slow leveling, and the fact that I look like a tard.

I know you're probably right. But the thing is... if the beginning isn't good then I feel like I'm wasting my time. I have plenty of other games I could be playing that I'd actually enjoy playing.

:( I really like the skill/AP system in the game. Such an awesome idea.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am really struggling with this game. I want to like it, but really...I am just having issue with direction.

If I just harvest and build, can I get some of that fancy looking armor? or is that more of a money/level thing?

What about better guns? I want to be a pistol-leer, but I just hate the Zip guns....

Thats pretty much how i started, just wandering around crafting. If you level armourcraft you will almost always be able to build better armor than you can use at the time and continue making armor for yourself throughout the game. Yeah Zip guns suck at the start, but eventually you can start making good ones. I haven't really messed around with pistols yet but a friend of mine seemed to settle going 1 pistol 1 melee weapon for bash/saving ammo costs at the start.

I also think theres acouple starting towns that have big quest chains that reward you with unique pistals, like Depot 66 and Mumfrord (or whatever it's called) but ammo will suck regardless of what kind of pisol you use. And some of the better zip guns are better than the first pistols you get.

I think this is the first mmo i've played where i haven't rushed through the game at all. Just been taking my time crafting and exploring. (Almost ready to start making advanced bikes!)

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How does PvP work? Do I have to pledge to one of the six factions or something?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well I was really into this game when it was released and in the betas. But since I was deploying to kuwait, I didnt wanna max out and come back to a character I rushed through the levels. But now that I am deployed, we have some pretty decent wifi here. I played WoW a little on it and its rather laggy since its packets are huge with lots of data. But I fired up fallen earth, and its smooth as fuck for playing in kuwait on wifi. The network usage window that you can bring up in game is barely tickin with any usage.

I see patch notes out the ass, and before reading them what bigs things have changed? I notice melee weapons got some silly trail effects now when swinging...

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How does PvP work? Do I have to pledge to one of the six factions or something?

That would probobly make it better.. XD

There are basically PVP zones in S1 and PVP towns in S2-S3. You'll get flaged when you go into them. if yo die you spawn outside and are unflagged. Some of the pvp areas in S1 are ok to fuck around in, although good luck finding many people. When you kill someone in a pvp zone you get deathtoll, apparently you can earn rewards and such from it but i haven't put in enough effort yet.

Factions hilariously enough don't do shit to who you can or can't kill come S2. which is kinda of stupid imo. Basically anyone can kill anyone in pvp zones even same faction. I hope they iron out a decent pvp system, because right now it's kind of a mess. other than beating acouple guys up in some of the S1 pvp areas I don't have much experience.

Sonork on
  • Options
    VideotapeVideotape Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wish I would have seen that Steam deal a few days ago. This game looks very interesting. Now that I'm paying full price, which copy of the game should I buy? Which free items appear to be the best for a character?

http://www.fallenearth.com/offers

Videotape on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd go with the steam deal. These shirts are awesome, and ATV's are readily available, as are horses.

Granted the special ones offered there have some better stats, but I say bonused gathering skills are GREAT at the low levels. I started a brand new character, and well, the shirt is really helping.

Anon the Felon on
This discussion has been closed.