As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen Earth] All things come to an end. Then the fun starts.

• Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa wait what?!? Nothing is soulbound? Is gear tied to an account or can you freely trade all items to other players. Are there even item level restrictions so you need to be of a certain level to equip something? If not, this game is gonna be a twinker's DREAM! :winky: Killer crafting and open trading would be pretty crazy and make getting in early a HUGE advantage. Maybe higher level/better gear has ILR or binding. I've got to be misunderstanding something, I thought it was years ago that they quit making mmos that allowed for massive gear swapping.

Edit- just saw Badwrong say there's "armor wear skill levels" so I guess there is ILR. But can you freely trade all items among players? Vehicles and armor for example?

The armor use is a skill, its 50% of your coordination and 50% of your endurance. So no you cant wear ANYTHING, but you can totally outgear other people the same level as you.

There are some items that Attune to you. Usually quested stuff, and rare crafted stuff.

Exactly...most of the stuff from crafting is 100% tradable, which is why I advocated going the first toon crafter route (basically throw most of your points into Int/Per, and focus on pistol/rifle. You send all your outdated gear to your combat alt, and bingo...easiest way to twink yourself out!

The only downside to that is your combat skills suffer a bit early on. While you do gain experience via gathering and crafting, it's much faster to just kill kill kill.

Good news is that with all the APs out there from quests, you CAN be a fully maxed crafter AND combat type:

http://www.sleeping-dragons.co.uk/FallenEarth/index.php#2D0000001B1B1A1C1A0000520052000000520000000000000000000000009
    (Maxed crafter+pistol+dodge+armour build) Note that this requires an extra 36 AP (from quests) over what you get from just leveling. There's 270 known AP from quests above the 880 you gain from levels.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Timmer on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Timmer wrote: »

I'm glad this was never posted back on page 4. I just don't know what I'd do if I'd never seen this awesome video. (Which is pretty awesome though)

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How many of you are playing this? I wanna get it, but I'd want to play with some PAers :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am totally playing it. I built my first set of metal armor today.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I can't quite seem to find this info for some reason but does this have a subscription fee? Common sense tells me: "Yes it does!".

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes, $15/mo

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I get confused between this and Aion sometimes, but I think it's (well, both) 15/month.

[edit] Oh noes, beat.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know it was posted on page 4, but I couldn't watch it at work and forgot about it, now I watched it at home and DAMN that dance vid makes me want to play even more now :)

Are there diff servers ? If so what one are the majority of people playing on?

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Klatu wrote: »
    Don't piss off the woman unless she's a prude who won't "make you happy" while you play games.

Instead, turn her into a gamer with slow seduction. My g/f isn't all that pleased with my habit either, but I've been working on her. First I got her playing with a gameboy a few times. Then put a buncha games on her iphone till she was loving that stuff (mostly puzzle games). Finally I asked her to try an mmo with me and she actually said yes! My long term goals is for Star Wars:OR or else All Points Bulletin but for now, WoW wasn't an option because I've been there done that. Then I showed her Vanguard, Aion, and Champions Online but she was kinda bleh. Next was Fallen Earth and the first words out of her mouth were "ohh... that looks cool". SOLD.

Now we're building two new gamer boxes so we can jump in, but sadly, we just went to the real Grand Canyon and spent quite a bit more $$ than we expected on horses 'n' stuff, so we're holding off till our paychecks in the middle of Oct. I'm anxious because dammit, that's cutting it close to Dragon Age which is single player. SHE BETTER NOT OUTLEVEL ME!

My missus used to play LOTRO quite a bit, and she tried the WoW thing when I left LOTRO and rejoined WoW, but she didn't want anything to do with it. She plays all the Silent Hill stuff and L4D and TF2 to some degree, but I haven't had any luck with MMOs since rings. :?

One thing to remember is, sometimes MMO's arnt for everybody. My brothers played one, classic SWG with me. Hes not touched another since leaving it before the CU, and dislikes just about every single MMO since.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    RabidTreeMonkeyRabidTreeMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Karenna wrote: »
    Exactly...most of the stuff from crafting is 100% tradable, which is why I advocated going the first toon crafter route (basically throw most of your points into Int/Per, and focus on pistol/rifle. You send all your outdated gear to your combat alt, and bingo...easiest way to twink yourself out!

The only downside to that is your combat skills suffer a bit early on. While you do gain experience via gathering and crafting, it's much faster to just kill kill kill.

Good news is that with all the APs out there from quests, you CAN be a fully maxed crafter AND combat type:

http://www.sleeping-dragons.co.uk/FallenEarth/index.php#2D0000001B1B1A1C1A0000520052000000520000000000000000000000009
    (Maxed crafter+pistol+dodge+armour build) Note that this requires an extra 36 AP (from quests) over what you get from just leveling. There's 270 known AP from quests above the 880 you gain from levels.

Thanks for the link! *bookmarked* Yeah, I'm definitely going to go the route you fellas have been recommending. I love crafting stuff in most/many games. Something to do when I'm watching sports on TV or whatnot and being able to log off and still have a queue of things going is SWEET!

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Timmer wrote: »

I'm glad this was never posted back on page 4. I just don't know what I'd do if I'd never seen this awesome video. (Which is pretty awesome though)

Stop hatin' sucka! That video can never be linked enough. I saved and playlisted it so I can watch it whenever the mood strikes and dat time is NOW! I hope they add more dances at some point. I'd love it if they added the Hustle or some Vanilla Ice Ice Baby.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Klatu wrote: »
    I know it was posted on page 4, but I couldn't watch it at work and forgot about it, now I watched it at home and DAMN that dance vid makes me want to play even more now :)

Are there diff servers ? If so what one are the majority of people playing on?

There's only one server, and people are everywhere you go.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nice. I like the 1 server deal, makes the economy better and can make the world seem better.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Aye, and if the server keeps enough of a population, it ought to make for some very enjoyable end-game pvp as the factions fight to raid each other's PvP towns. I can just see scenes from the Road Warrior dancing about in my head. Speaking of which, can players shoot from their vehicles/mounts? How about the passengers in some of the larger vehicles?

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, you can shoot from vehicles. Not sure about the enclosed ones, but the open vehicles for sure.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Grandfather MantisGrandfather Mantis Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    hehe, it'd be awesome if we could get Gabe or Tycho into it...

Grandfather Mantis on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    Yeah, you can shoot from vehicles. Not sure about the enclosed ones, but the open vehicles for sure.

Advanced vehicles allow for mounted guns....

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    !!!

That's so awesome, this game is the Road Warrior. Someone has GOT to make a Tina Turner character for recreating the scene in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Highly likely I'm going to give this a go once my paycheck comes through. Next question, are any of you in a clan? Somewhere in the thread is mention of how a PA clan would probably be difficult to maintain, so I was wondering where you guys were and such.

[edit] I would also like to know if someone with the ability/stats to ride a horse (or any other mount for that matter) be able to steal one that's unattended? That'd be sweet. 8-)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    AFAIK vehicles are bound to each person and can't be traded. They also can't be stored in your inventory either, they're a part of the open world just like characters.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So this game seems to be slipping under a lot of radars, but im extremely interested in it. It looks really well done and really my kind of MMO. (Aion so far from what i've seen hasn't really done it for me, im kind of sick of that same grindy basic MMO formula.) This does look like one of those "niche" games though, it reminds of EvE in a way, that either you'll really enjoy it or you won't like it at all.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    AFAIK vehicles are bound to each person and can't be traded. They also can't be stored in your inventory either, they're a part of the open world just like characters.

This is true for deployed vehicles. Before you use them, they are a bridle/key/whatever that can be traded or sold.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009

This is true for deployed vehicles. Before you use them, they are a bridle/key/whatever that can be traded or sold.

So to be clear, can vehicles be 'undeployed?' Say, take the key out of the ignition, put it in a ... clan garage, etc?

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If this game wasn't an MMO I'd be doing naughty things to it.

It seems to be exactly what I wanted, but I'm not an MMO guy

What are the cars like? any galleries?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Zetx wrote: »

So to be clear, can vehicles be 'undeployed?' Say, take the key out of the ignition, put it in a ... clan garage, etc?

Yes, you can store a vehicle at a garage. But it's still yours since you are the person who activated it. Only you can drive it if you're the person who used it in the first place.

I ran my first instance today. Instances in this game differ from just about everything else in that there aren't any loot drops (at least, in the one I did). I had like 6 missions to go into Kingman Prison and murder various things, then reap the rewards for finishing the missions. It was pretty intense, running in there with 3 gunmen and 2 melee guys tearing everything up. The boss mobs are really tough as well. There was even a monster closet :P.

Great fun and much slaughter was had by all.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Imagine if you will a dune buggy made of left-over scrap. There are also ATVs and motorcycles, and of course horses. And a sports car.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looking at the character building sheet that was posted a page or two back, it seems like there isn't going to be much variety in builds. It also looks to be heavily favoring pistol / rifle based builds. Can melee / mutant builds be viable in the later game or are they toast trying to get into range? I'm thinking about pvp here mostly. I'm also wondering if the mutations work like spells (cast time. duration, uses some pool of energy)?

stigweard on
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I was pretty much ready to give up on MMO's myself, but wanted a Road Warrior/Post-Apocalypse game so badly, I dove into this. I'm glad I did. Yeah it has the standard $15 per month subscription (a bit cheaper if you pay for it in chunks of 3 or 6 months, or a year). It has a lot to do without your needing a team or a clan (guild). You can totally just roam the wasteland on your mount or vehicle for long stretches of time, salvaging parts, hunting game, hunting thugs and cultists, making your own stuff or doing missions. It's worth checking out if you like the setting.

As for vehicles: Badwrong posted a pic of him on his motorcycle earlier in this thread (page 6 or 7), but I know I saw a bunch of pics on the Fallen Earth forums of the ATV, motorcycle, advanced dune buggy (that had mounted guns), car (called Interceptor, but I do not know if that is what it is called ingame) and some kind of armored SUV, all that can be crafted or sold to you by crafters. I do not have the link for this gallery, but you can find the forums on http://www.fallenearth.com.

You will need to be advanced enough in skill and stats to drive the vehicles. I'm level 10 right now and I believe I may not have the skill or stats right now to drive the motorcycle, buggy or car, but I've been riding an ATV since level 4.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would have thought a motorcycle would be easier than an ATV

ATV's just suck

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    stigweard wrote: »
    Looking at the character building sheet that was posted a page or two back, it seems like there isn't going to be much variety in builds. It also looks to be heavily favoring pistol / rifle based builds. Can melee / mutant builds be viable in the later game or are they toast trying to get into range? I'm thinking about pvp here mostly. I'm also wondering if the mutations work like spells (cast time. duration, uses some pool of energy)?

At the earlier levels and probably up to the mid-range, I think that many characters will have similar builds so they can craft as well as fight with a number of weapons as they learn to survive against the NPCs. But as you get into the teens, you will need to start specializing and figure out what you want your character to be in the game.

PvP is still bing sorted out and not much embraced by the players right now. I found myself in a PvP zone by wandering into it at prime time (the game gives you warnings) and found it empty of players. I do know some players do PvP based on forum and ingame chatter and there are some things people bitch about such as melee characters being outclassed by mounted characters with rifles, but we will find out more as people advance their characters beyond mid-range.

I do know that horses can be killed in PvP, so you can dismount a rifleman. And when the rifleman is dismounted, he will have a significant disadvantage in melee while he has the rifle equipped. Pistoleers have a better chance in melee, but their guns have shorter ranges. A character spec'ed and mutated out for melee combat can definitely put some hurt on gunner characters once they close the distance. You can't do melee attacks from horseback... yet.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I would have thought a motorcycle would be easier than an ATV

ATV's just suck

I guess since ATV's are 4-wheel vehicles then they are easier to drive than a 2-wheel motorcycle, as far as the game devs go.

Motorcycles are faster in the game than the ATV, but from what I know, they cannot climb hills and go over some terrain that the ATV's can. The ATV is definitely an intro vehicle in the game. You learn to craft the ATV in a quest before you learn to craft the motorcycle. Some people, like Badwrong, just use their ATV key to continue the quest to craft the motorcycle instead of spawning the ATV.

A lot of people like the horses more than the ATV in the game because the ATV uses "expensive" gasoline and can go less of a distance on "a tank of fuel". You need to keep the horse fed, but horse feed is much less expensive than gas.

But I like my ATV. ATV's are faster than the horses I've seen and cannot be easily damaged or killed. Plus, with the latest patches, the gas mileage of all of the vehicles have been increased. Plus PLUS, I want to play Road Warrior more than I want to play The Postman, so I'm using vehicles to get around, dammit. Besides, I can now craft gasoline.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zetx wrote: »
    Does PA have a clan/guild/group in this yet? The PvP and crafting sound really exciting.

Either a PA guild or a guild with a lot of PA people works - looks interesting enough that I might try it out for a month or so at least.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No PA people in one clan that I know of. I go lone loser in this game. There are plenty of people to chat with and get help from in the Regional Chat channel. I even received, for free, a pretty decent revolver from somebody who asked on Regional Chat if anybody wanted the pistol before they trashed it. Other people have helped me with certain missions or just surviving gang-up fights. This is more help and comraderie than I've gotten from some guilds I've been part of in the past. The community this game attracts seems to be very different from the usual power-gamer uberfest.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just upgraded my horse to a L15 runner. Seems that the only difference is more bag space/weight allowance. So, are all the horses the same speed? That doesn't seem right, if so...but I was unable to verify by racing someone else.

Also, I thought I wanted to go crafter/melee/defense build (since melee is SO much better in the lower levels), but I keep hearing about pistol/rifle being the cat's pajamas.

Does anyone have a recommended upgrade path for rifles? It's the one crafting tree I have been neglecting...

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have heard from other horse-people that the speed of all horses are the same. However, they did say Running Horses have the best feed-mileage. They may be as quick as the other horses, but they last a lot longer without needing to be fed. This is hearsay from Regional and New Player chat as well as from the game Forums. Take it with the usual serving of salt.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Karenna wrote: »
    Just upgraded my horse to a L15 runner. Seems that the only difference is more bag space/weight allowance. So, are all the horses the same speed? That doesn't seem right, if so...but I was unable to verify by racing someone else.

Also, I thought I wanted to go crafter/melee/defense build (since melee is SO much better in the lower levels), but I keep hearing about pistol/rifle being the cat's pajamas.

Does anyone have a recommended upgrade path for rifles? It's the one crafting tree I have been neglecting...

Dunno if this was linked already but I was fiddling around with this career planner. It has Some predefined builds by clicking the links on the left and I think the creator said it outputs to print. Saw another career planner somewhere but forget exactly.

Also, please feel free to randomly post about your experiences playing a melee character. Beside the first 'toon being focused on crafting, I'm very curious to know how well a melee character plays throughout the level-up process.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Since it's all one server with what looks like 3 different sectors so far, does it take a really long time for people to meet up? Say do some instances together and so on.

Also, how are the partying functions? Assigned loot? First come, first serve?

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The sectors are pretty large. Somebody supposedly did a horse run from the boundaries of one sector and found it to be about 30, 35 minutes real time in length (they are squares). Vehicles shorten that distance a bit. So, yeah, the world is massive.

Most people are in Sector 1 with Sector 2 being occupied by mostly early-start people who have reached the levels of 20 and up, so it isn't that spread out right now.

There are some noises being made on the game forums from players asking for a fast travel option. Most vocal players do not want it because it would cheapen the vehicles you get, but a bunch have come up with some locomotive-between-major-towns ideas. Maybe a future expansion will put something like that in to symbolize the people slowly rebuilding infrastructure or whatever.

But for now, if you and a group of peeps want to meet up for some teamwork, then you all had best prepare to be at the same place beforehand.

Oh, and team loot is set by the team leader. It could be rotation, free for all, etc. I have not yet teamed up for a long period of time to check this out, but it seems to be similar to how recent MMOG's do loot.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So far in my experience the loot setting doesn't matter. The mobs all drop the normal crap all over. A bit of food, a bandage, some melee weapon, maybe some ammo.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
This discussion has been closed.