As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen Earth] All things come to an end. Then the fun starts.

• Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there a PA clan? How many people are playing from here?

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No clan of PA players that I know of. I am in the game, though my play schedule is erratic. I am a member of no clan because I like going the loner/wanderer route in this game. My character's name is Russermann.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there an eta on a trial or anything? I really want to try this game out but I don't want to spend 40 on it and feel bad if I don't like it. :(

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suspect it will be some time. Most MMOs go awhile before having free trials.

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    While I am personally still playing, I suspect that quite a few folks have dropped over the past week (unfortunately).

Server stability, patches that seem to make things worse, and a general lack of things to do once you hit level cap are the norm for any MMO start-up (Remember WoW for the first 3 months? Yeah)...but for an indie game like FE, it could spell certain doom.

I really hope that they turn things around, and keep the subscribers up.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm still playing after a bit more than a month. I'm just not playing quite as much. I am working my way to dune buggy research and the interceptor is my holy grail in this game. A dune buggy with weapons would be really nice.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, that was quick. (For almost all of the excitement in this thread to peter out.)

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    FREE TRIALS!

So, yes the thread has petered out quickly, after all the initial excitement. I blame most of that on the complete lack of a free trial; which has now been solved!

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/75596

Ten Ton Hammer (and some other sites which I can't remember offhand while at work) will be offering 15 day Free Trials for their 'Day of the Dead' event...starting THIS FRIDAY.

Fence-sitters, GO!

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Most excellent. I'll be grabbing one right away.

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hurm. I can't check the site from here. Does the 15 days start on friday, or are they handing out actual 15 day trials that will start counting down when you register it?

This is vitally important, as I find that my near term future will be involving a signifigant amount of post-apocalyptic adventure... in Borderlands... and then L4D2... But I'd still like to give this a tryout.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    StDrahcirStDrahcir Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just joined in on Fallen Earth. For those that would care here's my unprofessional-typed up while at work review :lol:: (my first post too)

Its long so if you want a brief summary... This game is freaking awesome and I love it. Do not categorize it with WoW/LOTRO/Aion as this is very different. Its not for everyone, but it sure as all hell is for me!

So I bought Fallen Earth on Friday.

Class System (there is none) – Well Fallen Earth is totally different is because there are no classes. When you create your character you do not select a class that is more suited to being a tank/mage/healer/etc. All you do in the beginning is pick your name and your appearance. That is it.

How your character becomes more attuned to a certain "place" is dependent on how you create your character. You determine your class by what you use the most (some skills go up through use) and how you put your points in. You have a certain number of points that you distribute to your skills.

Game World – The world is huge! I have been running in a straight line and still haven't hit a "zone" line which I did encounter in numerous other games. Plus the game world doesn't feel empty or barren like in other games. You will continuously find harvesting nodes of different types that you can gather or well placed mob encampments and such. Oh and it’s very helpful for everyone to do some crafting because their crafting system is great! Hell, at least gather the resources because 8 times outta 10 they will be handy. I will explain why a little further down.

Crafting – By far the best crafting system of any game I have played. The reason I say this is not because it has something cool like EQ2's (which got old after awhile) or because it’s like UO where you can bang on any tree/mountain side for resources. I say its great because:

#1 ANYONE can do all or some of the crafting as it’s that easy to do and that readily available. Its not like if you set yourself to gather ore then that is all you can do and the wood around you is going to waste (*cough* LOTRO *cough*). Now you do need to gather the lower tier harvesting stuff to gain enough skill so you can harvest the higher ones, but that's easy if you just gather whenever you can.

#2 The sheer number of things you can craft is huge and all that I have seen are useful! There are a few ones that you don't need like dyes, but they are super easy to make so why not. You can craft anything from frying eggs for food (which gives health regen bonus), buff type potions, ammunition for weapons, gasoline/horse feed for mounts, weapons, armor, instant heal potions, healing/regen items like rags. I don't even think that is the whole list as I haven't found everything yet.

#3 You do not have to sit in front of a forge to craft. You can craft on the go AND you can queue up crafting of various types that will continue to work while you are offline as well. Now if your character is at a crafting station of the type you are doing it will speed up the process, but it isn't needed to actually craft. I usually make my ammunition and food while I'm on the go and doing missions (quests).

#4 All of the best stuff in the game is player made, not dropped.

#5 You can also use just about everything you craft and it’s cheaper to use what you craft instead of buying it all.

Graphics – Graphics to me are good, but yes they might seem dated to others. It’s definitely not like LOTRO graphics or (from the screenshots I've seen) Aion graphics, but honestly I could care less. The graphics to me are great. The graphics do not take away from the immersion of the game at all.

And honestly how much do graphics really matter when the game I kept going back to was Ultima Online 2D and some still keep going back to Everquest 1. Not stating this argument to defend really poor graphics because they really are not bad, but I just wanted to state that so if someone tells you "OMG the graphix are horrid" it won't deter you from at least trying this gem of a game.

Gameplay – I have noticed little things that are annoying like splitting stacks into 1 or more you gotta do it manually (click and drag one by one), harvest nodes that are unharvestable (not many of these), a few pathing issues for mobs, and other little things that I just generally ignore because its not game breaking. Fighting in the game is tough though.

Basically take all the carebear stuff you have been spoon fed for these past years with the majority of the MMO's out there and FORGET THEM. This will do you a BIG BIG favor. If you expect to go out and start fighting without planning a little ahead then you are going to be seriously surprised. This combat system is fast, furious, and relentless and you will LOVE IT once you learn how to fight.

First off you have a combat mode (like UO's war mode) that you turn on. They call it "aiming" mode. In this mode picture you are playing a First Person Shooter. Basically that is what you are doing. Its mouse view controlled and you shoot or swing using both left or right mouse buttons (depending which hand has what weapon). You also have your abilities/skills you can trigger and use similar to how other MMO's have this. The major difference is how fast things happen. Some people say it’s similar to Tabula Rasa style fighting, but I never played that game so I wouldn't know.

The moment you shoot a mob they are going to start going right at you. While they are running at you, you need to keep the crosshairs targeted on them or else you will miss. There is no "lock on" target here. You also need to make sure you look down if they mob is smaller than you or face them. You can strafe around them and such as well (which sometimes works and helps). It’s hard to explain and to master, but fun as hell!

There's other things to the gameplay as well, but this was a major one I wanted to point out that I love and that makes this game 90% different from the other games out there right now.

Sound – I'm not a big sound person to be honest so I am not sure how to rate it or what to say. I guess I can say it’s great because I can hear little sounds like when you jump on an old abandoned car it makes a bump like noise like as if you did it in real life. When I reload my zip gun you hear will hear your character pop off the ammo thing, reload it, and then repressurize his gun. The music is fun and engaging. I don't what all to say so I will just stop here ;-).

End Game – Don't know as I'm not there yet, but from the looks of it its going to be fun as hell! We shall see.

PvP – Haven't done it yet, but the Youtube videos I saw sure make it look awesome and after having played the game and knowing more about it... I can see how it definitely will be fun and take lots of skill.

Overall I haven't enjoyed a MMO like this since Shadowbane (less the bugs obviously) or Ultima Online. I actually have to fight not to take some sick leave from work to just play. I have never done that before. I may have missed some stuff and once I spot it I will add more, but for now this is what I got.

StDrahcir on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Edit: Double post, cleaning it up.

StDrahcir on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, that was quick. (For almost all of the excitement in this thread to peter out.)

I stopped posting about it because I'm deploying to Kuwait for 6 months... I'm still very much enjoying the game, but I dont want to hit level cap right now when I'm so busy getting ready to leave. And after 6 months it might have a bit more polish to enjoy in the leveling process. Although I would rank it pretty high in quality for a release MMO's condition and server uptime.

I also took some time to try out Aion, which was ok... lost interest around level 39 though.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I stopped posting about it because I'm deploying to Kuwait for 6 months... I'm still very much enjoying the game, but I dont want to hit level cap right now when I'm so busy getting ready to leave. And after 6 months it might have a bit more polish to enjoy in the leveling process. Although I would rank it pretty high in quality for a release MMO's condition and server uptime.

I also took some time to try out Aion, which was ok... lost interest around level 39 though.

First off... Be safe out there in Kuwait man.

Dang, Aion just came out and you already hit 39? Wow you are hardcore :lol:! Aion doesn't interest me. Just seems like some of the same old like WoW/LOTRO style.

StDrahcir on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    StDrahcir wrote: »
    Review

Mmmkay, sounds like I will have to give it a shot with the trial.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zetx wrote: »
    StDrahcir wrote: »
    Review

Mmmkay, sounds like I will have to give it a shot with the trial.

If you can grab a trail I would definitely do that. I was on the fence about trying this game for weeks. After reading stuff about it all over the place and watching Youtube videos ahoy I decided that if I'm going to spend this much time reading... I might as well find out for myself.

Is this game for everyone? No, it isn't. But, I think if there are people who want something different and new and not corporate-based which is how the other games are feeling to me. I'd try this.

Someone asked me if this game had combat like DAoC's that has reactives, chains, and stuff like that (which I just heard Aion does too which is nothing new)... I honestly do not know. I am only level 4 (just hit level 5). Even if it didn't it wouldn't matter to me as the combat right now is complex and challenging enough as it is.

StDrahcir on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Duderz how big is the client to download?

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Another patch is coming out that is getting things setup for the Dead thing (the trails). Don't know the full info as work has most of my stuff blocked.

StDrahcir on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yep, new patch hit yesterday that was supposed to streamline and focus the early leveling areas a bit more.
    I can't comment on what exactly that did, since I'm L25 and haven't been back to the new player zones.

I tell you though, even before that patch, S1 seemed pretty well defined: you'd do all the quests in a certain town, and you'd get very clear direction via quests and story to hit up the next town. S2 is completely different, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed (and I LIKE free-form 'sandboxy' games!).

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    adenxadenx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The trial keys are available for the Days of the Dead event

http://www.tentonhammer.com/giveaways/daysofthedead
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95646-Fallen-Earth-Halloween-Event-Keys

massively.com and mmorpg.com also are supposed to have something like 2000 keys available starting today

adenx on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Sorry, but you are not permitted to enter the Fallen Earth website at this time."

><

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well this is frustrating. I managed to get my key, and download the installer. But now it won't install, because it wants more room on my C: drive. My C: is tiny, most of my memory is on D:... where I told it to install. Why I ever made these dumb partitions...

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Corak wrote: »
    Well this is frustrating. I managed to get my key, and download the installer. But now it won't install, because it wants more room on my C: drive. My C: is tiny, most of my memory is on D:... where I told it to install. Why I ever made these dumb partitions...

Funny, it tried to install on my hdd which had the most space. It was kinda odd not having things default to C:\Program Files ... Fallen Earth was patching myself the last time I checked.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have my key but I hit my bandwidth cap for the month. By the time I am clear to download it, the trial will be over. Hopefully they will continue with the trials for a while.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zetx wrote: »
    Corak wrote: »

Funny, it tried to install on my hdd which had the most space. It was kinda odd not having things default to C:\Program Files ... Fallen Earth was patching myself the last time I checked.

Strange. It let me choose my path, but still insists it wants more memory on the other drive. I'll have to mess with it more.

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I still haven't had the chance to play... the updater is terrible.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Got mine all updated, made a character but heading to work. Will jump on later today.

Sonork on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    This is the first time since UO, AC, or early SWG that I have actually had fun playing an MMO.

I've had fun meta gaming in other games, trying to advance, being competitive with others, etc - but I never felt that "spark" that kept me entertained even if I was just completely dicking around. Fallen Earth is the first game in a long time that I just plain enjoy.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Not too bad so far, animations need a lot of polish imo. but i'm liking the world so far. Crafting seems really cool, my first guy is a crafter, although not sure what i should specialize into, just doing everything atm it seems. Sad you cannot add nails to your wooden board weapon. >< The aiming system is really neat, i like how you have to aim at thing that you want to attack. much better than clicking or tab targeting enemies.

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the axe handle has nails on it! and it has a good dps too.

I'm really enjoying myself. I agree that the game needs some better animations... and some netcode optimization, it's kind of annoying how mobs rubberband at times.

adenx on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Agreed. Luckily, things like rubber banding are well within the realm of a patch. Even things like smoother animations can come later. But you can't do a patch that completely changes the atmosphere and feel of a game, and that's where I feel FE succeeds.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Getting the hang of crafting now. Making me some chaps, gloves and a duster as i log off. I'm not sure what i enjoy so much about wandering around gathering things i can use to make more things... but i like it.

Sonork on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This game has the worst updater known to man. Took me a day to download around 3 gigs of data with constant restarts required...

However now that I'm in, this is pretty damn fun! Shooting hermit crabs who live in monitors and searching through piles of shit and rocks to make myself a paintgun is oddly satisfying.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    MaverikVMaverikV Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if my download will finish before my 14 day trial is over

MaverikV on
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Is it 14 days from the start of the event, or 14 days once you start the account?

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My account info says my subscription will end exactly 15 days and one minute after I signed up on fallen earth's website and created the account with my key. So it looks like 15 from the time you start the account.

adenx on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I just left the downloader on overnight and it was done in the morning.

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I played all this weekend and I still love it as much as ever. I love the crafting and questing. I can't wait to get in on some PvP. Its weird... I am enjoying this game so much that I am making sure to finish all the quests in 1 town before I go to the next. I started my character in South Burb (crafter newbie area).

I made it up to Embry for a quest and did a few quests there and was like "Oh my F***ing God there's a lot of quests"... so I did a few like the Halloween ones, "You're Dying..." one, and went back to the newbie area (on foot by the way) and completed the quests there because I really wanted to do this (I'm liking this game THAT much).

I like to gather materials all the way while I'm running back and I kill mobs for their scavenging stuff (for crafting). Now I'm in Mumford and doing those quests. Their quests are about even level for my level (level 7) and fairly easily, but very satisfying. I've never been a quester in other MMO's, I'd delete them once they got old or I moved on, but I sure am now!

My character name is Chinchilla Dakilla.

StDrahcir on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You folks should post some screenshots or something. Show how cool your characters look and stuff. We've got threads for that you know.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    You folks should post some screenshots or something. Show how cool your characters look and stuff. We've got threads for that you know.

Good point. I will do that. I just got a website from a buddy on how to make some Youtube videos. I think I am going ot make a video of general gameplay. Not really a review, but showing the games strengths so that people can see what its like on a general day to day basis.

Like grouping, PvE, and crafting. I know its not going to be perfect... especially with the fact that this will be my first video ever, but I figured this game deserves more attention/recognition.

StDrahcir on
This discussion has been closed.