As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pop-ups/weird extecutables [solved]

tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend keeps getting a bunch of pop-ups on her desktop, with IE opening up (she uses firefox).
After taking a quick look through her processes, I found one titled vx7W1uAL.exe that I was sure I'd never seen before. I pumped that into they system search, and the exe file itself popped up in the system32 folder.

Is anyone familiar with this executable? Google yielded nothing in terms of information, so I'm wondering if I should remove it (the pop-ups seem to stop when the process is stopped, but it reloads itself after a while).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tony_important on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's spyware with a randomized name. Grab Spybot or Ad-aware and give the system a good clean.

stigweard on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I just updated the version of her ad-aware (it hadn't been done in over a year).
    I got her to run it last night, but it looks like she forgot to do the update. It's all been removed, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to delete something that was important.

There were over 475 "infections" listed.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.