Options

Clone Wars

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    There's only 1 solution for Star Wars, and we all know it.

A "Re-Imagining", like with BSG. New Actors, new scripts and Jar-Jar gets shot in the face within the first 15 minutes. Bring in a few of the better actors frm the original in different parts, get someone competent to script the thing and murder George Lucas and bury him as far from the set as humanly possible.

No, Star Wars needs to just fucking go away for a good long sabbatical. I'm cool with the idea of re-imagining it, but only after a long break, cuz I'm fed up with Lucas and his narcissism and it's to the point where even if SW were to suddenly be good, I'd still loathe it.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    The reviews are very bad so I probably won't see it.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/clone_wars/?critic=creamcrop

God, everything I hear about this thing makes it sound worse and worse. This things a monstrosity isn't it?

shryke on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well that was incredibly mediocre. Felt like they took the plot of maybe two 1/2 hour episode and stretched them over 1:40. Didn't got in with high hopes at all, so I think that helped. The end seemed very anti-climatic after all the action in the first half.

There was one person dressed as clone wars Obi-wan, a Vader, a handful of Jedi, and maybe half a dozen or so storm troopers at the theater I went to.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I liked it better back when "The Clone Wars" was a completely unexplored throwaway line

Indeed. Eventually every line from every Star Wars movie will be turned into a full length CGI feature film. Personally, I can't wait for "I don't care what you smell, get in there!"

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really liked it. I thought the plot with Ashoka and Anakin was weak, and the whole Padme subplot was lame, but every scene with Kenobi was great, and it really humanizes and makes the clones into real characters. And Rex is the biggest badass ever.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I watched a clip of this a couple weeks ago and it was just horrible. Why couldn't they just get Tartakovsky to expand upon the originals?

tofu on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good Lord, this got savaged by critics.

Duki on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    I watched a clip of this a couple weeks ago and it was just horrible. Why couldn't they just get Tartakovsky to expand upon the originals?
    "Lucas was jealous" is all I can think of. I don't recall Tartakovsky being on any recent projects that'd make him too busy.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    "Lucas was jealous" is all I can think of. I don't recall Tartakovsky being on any recent projects that'd make him too busy.
    Tartakovsky's Clone Wars shorts where the best thing to come from the Star Wars name since Empire Strikes Back.
    It's easy to see why Lucas might be a bit jealous.

see317 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's good. It's fun. It has some stupid bits, but I found it satisfying overall. It's not as good as the Tartakovsky series, but it does manage to get close at several points. The clone troopers were especially awesome.

There is no reason to show it in theatres, though, and given the vitriol spewed across the internet, it will probably end up hurting the movie far more than were it TV episodes as was originally intended.

But, I mean, it's a silly movie. It doesn't have any dark side brooding, it's light-hearted in tone, and it practically doesn't have any connection to the main movies. It's a saturday morning cartoon, and it's not a bad one. Your mileage may vary on how tolerable you find the baby hutt, though. It's no Jar-Jar, but it's one of *those* things.

Also, Ziro the Hutt is the most hilariously awful/great character ever.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    VidaVida Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lucas didn't really have all that much to do with this.

But hey, lets not let that get in the way of this entirely original "everything good in star wars has nothing to do with Lucas and everything bad is entirely down to him*" circle jerk.

I won't be seeing it because Star Wars ended three years ago and I've no interest in EU any more other than the games, even on the big screen. Its probably rubbish, but who cares, its not even a Star Wars movie, its a TV pilot. Who could possibly work up any fury at the executive producer of a pilot for a TV series...oh yeah, the internet could.

*This was also impressively adapted to Indy 4, he's become this bizarre Satan figure for angry nerds. I bet they'll start blaming the awfulness of, oh I dont know, Transformers 2 on him.

edit:
    This is the best example in this thread of what I'm talking about:

Tartakovsky's Clone Wars shorts where the best thing to come from the Star Wars name since Empire Strikes Back.
    It's easy to see why Lucas might be a bit jealous.

If someone could honestly believe either of these things are true they're surely completely insane. Its not even about the questionable quality of the prequel movies any more, its just an endlessly banal crusade to see who can have the most ridiculous nerdrage at some uberrich harmless eccentric old filmmaker who once made a reasonably good film which spawned a stunning sequel and then a load of largely meh media. I think the ultimate proof of this is that people have managed to convice themselves that the quite frankly awful Return of the Jedi is a wonderful film purely because its one of the hallowed "original triology" (angelic choirs sing at the mention of the name) whereas the vastly superior but still rather flawed Revenge of the Sith is one of the worst movies ever made for the opposite reason. Star Wars fans on the internet are the ultimate example of how stupid nostalgia can make otherwise rational intelligent people.

*rant over, relurking*

Vida on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    gaaay

Duki on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Not that I'm entirely disagreeing with you, Vida, because you are pretty much on the money with the weird apocryphal status Lucas has garnered, but you can hardly say he "didn't really have all that much to do with this." when he wrote the story treatment for it, then handed it off to a duo of writers to bang out a script for it.

And like any of the EU stuff, nothing goes to print until it gets his greenlight, so he was well aware of what was in the movie. Any of the directorial or pacing faults can be lifted from him, but don't swing too far wide in the other direction to make it sound like Lucas was rather laissez faire with it.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think this movie was pretty good, and I personally can't wait for the show. However, they really REALLY need to fix the anakin and ahsoka thing. I'm not trying to sound like a huge star wars nerd, but a padawan would never act like that towards their master and get away with it. The whole relationship between the two was absolutely ridiculous. They were joking around with each other and being sassy and blah blah blah. Anakin and Obi wan do it, but they have known each other for like, 16 years? These two? 3 days.

The clone parts were amazing.

Also, Ziro? Really?

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    A clone wars cartoon series is pointless unless you give it to tartakovsky.

And to be honest--the best bet is for them to get away from the Clone Wars and try something else that the fans don't fucking hate.

The kids will still love it though and thats all that matters.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked the Clone Wars better when they were a mysterious conflict mentioned in passing in A New Hope, instead of a pointless war orchestrated to bring Palpatine to power. That said, the series was awesome, and this movie sucks.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Honestly I think the funniest thing about all of this is that "The Phantom Menace" is probably the best thing George Lucas has made in these past 10 years.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, what if Republic Commando had a live action flic? Having the characters look identical aside from what scars they may have, and with different affectations and accents might be a very interesting experience.

That'd be pretty awesome, I want to know what happens to Sev. The ending was D:

Zandracon on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Hmm, what if Republic Commando had a live action flic? Having the characters look identical aside from what scars they may have, and with different affectations and accents might be a very interesting experience.

That'd be pretty awesome, I want to know what happens to Sev. The ending was D:

Sev's alive in the Republic Commando books, but they might happen before that mission.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There was an "Inside the movie" special on TV last night. Your typical promotional piece that has everybody all happy and excited while they talk about the movie and all that. Nothing unexpected. Then Lucas came on and said a line that absolutely floored me. He was talking about the style of the CG and stuff.

"I think trying to do an accurate human form style in CG is wrong."

Right off the bat though, he's right. If you're doing CG, you are totally better off doing SOME sort of style, rather than going for photorealism. Lest you tumble into the gaping crevase that is the Uncanny Valley like the Final Fantasy movie, or that Tom Hanks one with the christmas train.

The fact that HE, of ALL people, said it though... Mr. CGI, who'll film anything and everything in CGI, up to and including someone simply walking across a room. My jaw dropped.

At the end of the day, I can't say I have any desire to see it, but it looks neat at least. I'm certainly not going to channel the inner "Comic Book guy" like most people are assuredly going to do here and list off an essay on why the movie sucks based on only one scene. Probably just rent it, just to say I saw it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, and it has a drag queen hutt. Savor that thought for a moment.

DRAG. QUEEN. HUTT.

Oh, and "she" speaks with a southern belle accent. And she's Jabba's uncle.

Zero was goddamned hilarious. Totally worth it for C-3P0's entrance.
    It was hilarious, but totally disturbing at the same time.

Honestly, though, the only redeeming thing that could be said about the movie is that the clone trooper scenes were always awesome. Everything else was pretty terrible. Hell, the movie doesn't even start off on the right foot. It opens with a shitty version of the Star Wars theme and completely bypasses the story scroll. Instead, we get a cheesily sounding vocalized recap of events leading up to the movie that almost sounds like 40's war propaganda.

wow even the shittiest games have a crawl

Sam on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why is this the "lost chapter" they've done a shitload on the Clone Wars already.

Plus we already know how it ends so who the hell cares?

Yeah, I wish they'd do a story set after the Battle of Endor, so at least we wouldn't already know the ending before going into the theatre. But we'll probably have to wait a few odd decades till Lucas is dead, as he only seems interested in the past.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vida, I have to agree with most of what you said...

...however...you take that back about ROTJ! I will find you...

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heir wrote: »

...however...you take that back about ROTJ! I will find you

I think ROTJ is worse than Empire, but better than Star Wars: ANH.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rchanen wrote: »

...however...you take that back about ROTJ! I will find you

I think ROTJ is worse than Empire, but better than Star Wars: ANH.

See I always liked it better...but I realize I'm in the minority here. I'm just a sucker for redemption stories.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ROTJ was good until they got to Endor, then it became utter shit. Seriously, the ewoks ruined the movie.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ROTJ was good until they got to Endor, then it became utter shit. Seriously, the ewoks ruined the movie.

I just ignore that part. :P

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Someone posted a stub review at the beginning from the Washpost Weekend section, but here's the whole one: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/14/AR2008081403921.html

God, I've waited so long to read a movie review in a major paper and see "Near the end, the mystery of who really kidnapped Baby the Hutt leads to a nightclub owned by his uncle, Truman Capote the Hutt. It's a sad day for "Star Wars" when the most inspired thing in the galaxy is a lazy gay stereotype -- not counting C-3PO."

He also compares the buildings in the the movie to "dildos." No idea how he got that past the editor--but it's damn funny.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Return of the Jedi was awesome for one sole reason. Emperor Palpatine.

Seriously, the original trilogy Palpatine was a complete and total badass, nobody can disagree with that at the least, right?

DRAG. QUEEN. HUTT.

Well, the Hutts are hermaphrodites...

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Return of the Jedi was awesome for one sole reason. Emperor Palpatine.

Seriously, the original trilogy Palpatine was a complete and total badass, nobody can disagree with that at the least, right?

DRAG. QUEEN. HUTT.

Well, the Hutts are hermaphrodites...

I thought that was dependent on age.

moniker on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Look, that sentence is where my part in this discussion ends. There are some things that I am willing to continue, and discussing the specifics of Hutt sexual behaviour is not part of them. D:

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Look, that sentence is where my part in this discussion ends. There are some things that I am willing to continue, and discussing the specifics of Hutt sexual behaviour is not part of them. D:

Then this movie isn't for you. Take that critics.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Return of the Jedi is a movie that suffered major tonal problems. It's a film that tried to be both Dark and Light in tone at the same time, marching out little teddy bears in scenes right after a poignant struggle/duel between father and son. One type of scene often always stole the thunder of the other.

• Options
    VidaVida Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

...however...you take that back about ROTJ! I will find you...

Heh, I love it because I'm a Star Wars fan (or maybe "was" I dunno, I think its just over for me, Im glad it went out on a relative high) but its a really bad movie*. Marquand had no idea what he was doing, Lucas had run out of ideas (and interest, I think) and the actors were all bored senseless. Even before I became a bigger movie buff and therefore began to cast a more critical eye on RotJ I always thought that it got away with a lot because its the last movie. I'd imagine what actually happened when it was released (before my time) is that everyone just thought "well, that was a bit rubbish...but its over and done with now, that was fun I guess." It helps that it closes rather strongly, making you forget the first hour and a half being painfully awful. I'd go as far as to say that every criticism that gets thrown at the Phantom Menace (the tiresome CGI hatred aside) could be leveled at Jedi, its just a poor movie with a couple of excellent scenes. But really, after all the build up, how could the throne room confrontation have not been incredible? And yes to the poster who said about the Emperor, but then again it was McDiarmid who stole the show in the prequels. Its a big part of why Revenge of the Sith is much much better than the previous two, cause hes in it so much.

*Neither is ANH actually all that great to be frank, its just incredibly good fun whilst also managing to be somewhat deep. I'd place it and Revenge of the Sith on a similar level. Only Empire is a truly great piece of cinema, its that rare thing, a big budget hollywood movie which has more depth and artistic merit than most other films. Its somewhat unfair that people expect other Star Wars movies to be of a similar level, they were never meant to be anything more than enjoyable pulp. Empire was a fluke, a wonderful one, but a fluke all the same.

I guess this has gotten pretty off-topic...

Vida on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Empire wasn't a fluke. Empire wasn't a fluke at all. You've pretty much just cast aside the careers of both Irvin Kirshner and Leigh Brackett by saying that, when it was, in fact, those two who heavily influenced Empire to be such an outstanding film.

Those two, mixed with a creative team who knew how to up the ante without repeating themselves, is what delivered Empire.

• Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I saw this with my friends on opening night.

God.

I went in expecting nothing, and somehow it managed to be less than nothing. It was horrible.
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting gritty or heavy-hearted, but I certainly expected half-way decent dialog at the least. I really want to know who read over the script and said, "Yeah, this looks fine." Seriously?

I wasn't really digging the aesthetic either, but that's more subjective than the other issues.
    I was also thinking, wow, all this to open up trade routes? How underwhelming.

EDIT:
    Also, there was a name in the credits that read Max Wang.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My mate wanted to go and see this so four of us went on opening night.

Two of us left the cinema after the first hour. I had to resist walking out so much. The baby Jabba that looked like a wizball, the girl jedi thing that actually made me wish Jar Jar could replace her, the fruity Zerio thing. The fact that the plot was dragged out so thin you would need a lazer to cut it further, I swear I have seen the same story in a He-Man episode.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Slicer wrote: »
    As amusing as something like this would be, I think giving the fans control of anything in an entertainment medium would be a train wreck waiting to happen.

Wait... what's the difference?

Zing

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm just gonna boycott this film.

I'm just gonna do it.

Ant000 on
  • Options