Options

Clone Wars

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Im' not going to see this and I am an absolutely rabid star wars fan

This was my feeling. I might get it on dvd eventually. I just have no desire to see it.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Im' not going to see this and I am an absolutely rabid star wars fan

This was my feeling. I might get it on dvd eventually. I just have no desire to see it.

Same here. The trailers made it look decent, despite baby the hutt, too. :( I had good hopes for the new girl.

yalborap on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jesus Christ people....

It's a cartoon network pilot. They took three episodes, cut out the commercials and glued them together. The demographic was for kids aged 8-12 for network television. The reason why there wasn't a crawl was because that would of required the viewer to read. This should of never of been a movie.

There is this thing called "Standards and Practices for Children's programming". Even though S&P varies from network to network, they all follow rules laid down by the telecommunications act of 1986, 1996, and 2000. It's a good idea to follow them, even on cable, because it makes the syndication package "portable" to over-the-air network TV without editing.

Now I haven't seen the movie, but I know children's programming. I'm guessing things like blood being drawn, assault, references to death, and even getting shot was either toned down or not even in the story. For those who are thinking that "SkyGuy's" little sidekick is going to meet an untimely end in the series, you are sadly mistaken. It's going to be more of the same. It's a trite children's show and anyone thinking that it was anything different is sorely mistaken.

Now what about cartoons like "WALL-E". Well, the dirty little secret about that (and other Pixar movies), is that Pixar makes adult movies that kinds can watch. They are for an entirely different demographic. "Clone Wars" is a kids cartoon done for network TV on a network TV budget. (I bet many of the "extra" characters didn't even move their mouths, obscured by helmets, or were robots or such. It was just a ploy to get mechanizing money early to finance the series and the initial cost of production. (It's illegal to merchandise the show during the show on TV. This is called "Host selling" and was banned in 1986)

It should of never been on the big screen. The only hope is that the series is canceled after a very short run to put it out of it's misery. From the reaction from pretty much everyone, if the TV series lasts more than a month, I would be very, very surprised.

halkun on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Return of the Jedi is a movie that suffered major tonal problems. It's a film that tried to be both Dark and Light in tone at the same time, marching out little teddy bears in scenes right after a poignant struggle/duel between father and son. One type of scene often always stole the thunder of the other.
    Yeah, pretty much. Replace the Ewoks with a repressed people that use more than sticks and stones and it would have panned out a lot better. Nostalgia, admittedly, makes the movie easier to watch.

Revenge of the Sith just suffered in execution throughout. I dunno if it was the actors or the writing or what, but Anakin's fall seemed far too quick and based on a very weak premise (you betray your friends over dreams of your wife dying?), and for whatever reason they decided to cripple Grievous in the Clone Wars series. Not only would that make him look stupid to anyone having never seen the series, but why defang a major villain like that?

I think Lucas just needs to leave the franchise alone. Books and video games should give him plenty of money...should he need more for whatever reason.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    halkun wrote: »
    It's a cartoon network pilot. They took three episodes, cut out the commercials and glued them together. The demographic was for kids aged 8-12 for network television. The reason why there wasn't a crawl was because that would of required the viewer to read. This should of never of been a movie.
    I'm pretty sure I was able to read by age 8. I understand a lack of blood-and-guts, but I'll keep in anything that encourages reading. And really, Star Wars has never been a violent movie franchise, graphically speaking.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The clones were great across the board. Everything else was pretty "meh".

A series that focuses only on the clones fighting in the... you know... clone wars would be well worth it. Republic Commando (beyond being a fun game) was great in that it did nothing but show the conflict from the perspective of the men on the ground.

Of course the odds of that happening is -3%.

I'd say it's worth picking this up on DVD for $5 when it comes out.

TheColonel on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They've already said they are going to have episodes devoted entirely to clones and side characters (Kit Fisto was specifically mentioned).

If they have more Rex, I must say I can't fucking wait.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TheColonel wrote: »
    A series that focuses only on the clones fighting in the... you know... clone wars would be well worth it. Republic Commando (beyond being a fun game) was great in that it did nothing but show the conflict from the perspective of the men on the ground.

This. A thousand times this. The Republic Commando novels are some of the best Star Wars stuff coming out of the prequel era, and they have almost no Jedi action. They want the Clone Wars to seem like a tragic, galaxy spanning conflict, WWII in space, but they rarely show anything other than the established heroes who you know won't get hurt.
    If they want us to take the Clone Wars seriously, show us some battles where the clones lose, show us the casualties after a battle, reinforce the fact that clones or not, these are real people fighting and dieing in a war they'll gain nothing from winning. Show us Jedi we've never heard of, who could die just like anyone else. Turn off the hero shields and take away the faceless aspect of the clone army. That's what we need from the Clone Wars.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    and for whatever reason they decided to cripple Grievous in the Clone Wars series. Not only would that make him look stupid to anyone having never seen the series, but why defang a major villain like that?
    I believe the reason given for crippling Grievous is that the way his initial appearence was planned for Episode three made him look too much like a robot, and people watching the movie didn't realize that Grievous was (at least in part) an organic being capable of independant thought (something none of the other battle droids where shown capable of). So the decision was made to give him asthma, so people would realize that he was organic by the way he was coughing and clearing his throat.
    By the time that decision was made, the Clone Wars shorts where fairly well completed with Grievous as he was, so they added the crush scene to explain how the badass ninja cyborg with 4 arms suddenly turned into Gaspy McWheeze.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I like how in every medium, the lead in to ROTS has Windu beating the shit out of Grevious. Labyrinth of Evil had him fighting him and then kicking him off a train, Obsession had him drop a meteor on him, Clone Wars had the force crush.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    If they want us to take the Clone Wars seriously, show us some battles where the clones lose, show us the casualties after a battle, reinforce the fact that clones or not, these are real people fighting and dieing in a war they'll gain nothing from winning. Show us Jedi we've never heard of, who could die just like anyone else. Turn off the hero shields and take away the faceless aspect of the clone army. That's what we need from the Clone Wars.

This is a children's cartoon. No one is going to die. You are doing the equivalent of hoping that the Power Puff Girls will get in a prolonged battle with the Ruff 'n Tuff Boys, showing the scars left on the people of Townsville in a tireless battle of good vs evil.

As for me, I'm going to wait for the Rifftrax. It's going to be a riot!

halkun on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I like how in every medium, the lead in to ROTS has Windu beating the shit out of Grevious. Labyrinth of Evil had him fighting him and then kicking him off a train, Obsession had him drop a meteor on him, Clone Wars had the force crush.
    Why have I not read this book yet? Damn my lack of access to a convenient library.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vida wrote: »
    garble garble garble

As weak as RotJ may have been, it was a much better ending than Revenge of the Sith. Sith was basically masturbation for the fans who only cared about action, and a poke in the eye for anyone who had any hopes for quality storytelling.

Dooku getting offed 5 minutes into the film, while everyone on screen is narrating instead of acting, was a good indicator of what to expect for the rest of the movie. And the one liners were like something out of power rangers:

"I've become twice as strong since our last fight!"
    "Ah, double your pleasure!"

When suddenly!

"Anakin, kill Dooku."
    "I shouldn't."
    "Yes you should."
    "Okay!"

When the central character of the film is the weakest physical actor in the entire franchise, by a landslide, it's a problem.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Then again, I'm probably just bitter because Grievous was reduced to a gagging wuss who sounded like Yoda with throat cancer.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited August 2008
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Why have I not read this book yet? Damn my lack of access to a convenient library.

It was a comic mini series. It's available in Clone Wars: Volume 4: When they were brothers.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It was a comic mini series. It's available in Clone Wars: Volume 4: When they were brothers.
    How is that series overall? My only exposure to EU Clone Wars stuff so far has been the Tartakovsky cartoon.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Most of the characters and things of the Clone Wars cartoon series were taken from the Clone Wars comics.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    People who criticize EU material and see no possibility in post ROTJ need to read one LOTF series novel--and that novel is "Bloodlines" for an example of how to do a tiered-live action drama right.

"In Bloodlines, a civil war continues to break out in the Galactic Alliance. Meanwhile, acts of terrorism force the Alliance to create even more repressive laws. Many families find themselves divided, including the Solo/Skywalkers as Han Solo's Corellian roots and Luke Skywalker's dedication to the Jedi are creating conflict. Meanwhile, Luke and Mara Skywalker fear for their son, Ben, when his Jedi Master, Jacen Solo, makes a dangerous choice. This choice shocks both families and the galaxy.

Many of his actions in this book are reminiscent of Anakin Skywalker's last days as a Jedi before being corrupted into Darth Vader. Jacen works closely with Cal Omas and other political leaders to establish a martial law environment against the Corellians. He heads up a campaign to capture Corellians on Coruscant and place them in an internment situation; his actions are such that those around him refer to him as a "pale imitation of his grandfather, Darth Vader." He orders a blockade against Corellia and he suspends his sister, Jaina, from combat missions for violating the "rules of engagement". Luke and Jaina are concerned that Jacen is turning to the dark side and that Ben needs a new master."

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't read much of EU past Zahn's two Thrawn series (have there been more?), but I always thought those were WELL worth a read.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    My absolute preference would be an animated "Star Wars: Wraith Squadron"

but as this is never going to happen....

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Empire wasn't a fluke. Empire wasn't a fluke at all. You've pretty much just cast aside the careers of both Irvin Kirshner and Leigh Brackett by saying that, when it was, in fact, those two who heavily influenced Empire to be such an outstanding film.

Those two, mixed with a creative team who knew how to up the ante without repeating themselves, is what delivered Empire.

Not just Kershner's talent, but the balls he had to tell Lucas to his face that he was a hack and his ideas were shit.

Sam on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Man, Lucas needs to be stopped, and possibly waterboarded until he tells me the exact location of the original prints of Star Wars.

This had me thinking, shouldn't fans have some sort of legal rights? I mean, we made Lucas rich so we hold him to keeping the franchise awesome. Now he has failed and I think fans should hold him accountable. Yeah, sure he made rich and we can boycott but when someone fucks up something as big as Star Wars then he should be let go and let someone like the boys in Bioware take over the legend. Just a thought.

Are you honestly saying he shouldn't have creative control over his own franchise?

Are you high?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, Lucas needs to be stopped, and possibly waterboarded until he tells me the exact location of the original prints of Star Wars.

This had me thinking, shouldn't fans have some sort of legal rights? I mean, we made Lucas rich so we hold him to keeping the franchise awesome. Now he has failed and I think fans should hold him accountable. Yeah, sure he made rich and we can boycott but when someone fucks up something as big as Star Wars then he should be let go and let someone like the boys in Bioware take over the legend. Just a thought.

Are you honestly saying he shouldn't have creative control over his own franchise?

Are you high?

A parent that continually whores out their children and exploits them for money doesn't deserve to be a parent, and can have their children taken away from them.

Same logic applies.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No, it doesn't.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    Empire wasn't a fluke. Empire wasn't a fluke at all. You've pretty much just cast aside the careers of both Irvin Kirshner and Leigh Brackett by saying that, when it was, in fact, those two who heavily influenced Empire to be such an outstanding film.

Those two, mixed with a creative team who knew how to up the ante without repeating themselves, is what delivered Empire.

Not just Kershner's talent, but the balls he had to tell Lucas to his face that he was a hack and his ideas were shit.

Wait, what happened here?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Are you high?

You are aware that the best things that came out of the Star Wars franchise (including the things about the original trilogy which endeared them to this many people) came out of Lucas not being directly involved right?

Empire, most of Rotj (Lucas specifically pushed for ewoks to feature as extensively as they did) KOTOR 1 and 2, Shadows of The Empire, The Han Solo prequels, X-Wing, the list goes on.

Lucas was responsible for A New Hope, the heavy edits to the OT, and the prequels.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    shryke wrote: »

One memorable exchange of dialogue was partially ad-libbed. Originally, Lucas wrote a scene in which Princess Leia professed her love to Han Solo, with Han replying "I love you too." Harrison Ford felt the characterisation was not being used effectively, and Kershner agreed. After several takes, Kershner told Ford to improvise on the spot. Consequently, Ford changed Solo's line to "I know."[8][16]

One example. Kershner went against instructions a lot and according to a biography of Lucas I read, it nearly drove George insane. I think he used the words "You're ruining my movie"

Not specifically in reaction to the Han Solo line though, I'm sure even Lucas would agree there.

Sam on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    halkun wrote: »

This is a children's cartoon. No one is going to die. You are doing the equivalent of hoping that the Power Puff Girls will get in a prolonged battle with the Ruff 'n Tuff Boys, showing the scars left on the people of Townsville in a tireless battle of good vs evil.

I don't mean that's what needs to happen in this particular series, because everything I hear about it says it is indeed aimed at the squirts. I just mean that if they want fans to take the Clone Wars themselves seriously they need to show some of the horrors of the war, either in a game or a more mature TV series.

And they were called the Rowdy Ruff Boys:P

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

One memorable exchange of dialogue was partially ad-libbed. Originally, Lucas wrote a scene in which Princess Leia professed her love to Han Solo, with Han replying "I love you too." Harrison Ford felt the characterisation was not being used effectively, and Kershner agreed. After several takes, Kershner told Ford to improvise on the spot. Consequently, Ford changed Solo's line to "I know."[8][16]

One example. Kershner went against instructions a lot and according to a biography of Lucas I read, it nearly drove George insane. I think he used the words "You're ruining my movie"

Not specifically in reaction to the Han Solo line though, I'm sure even Lucas would agree there.

That explains Star Wars so well. A few great ideas desperately trying to escape from under the general crappyness of George Lucas.

What about Indiana Jones? Did he have the biggest hand in Temple of Doom or something?

shryke on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What about Indiana Jones? Did he have the biggest hand in Temple of Doom or something?

He tried to give Indiana Jones the trilogy treatment. He felt that the second movie should be the dark second chapter where everything goes to hell, hence Temple. The glaring problem with that approach is that all the movies were standalone, so instead of causing drama in the second act, he bogged down an entire story. Spielberg said he didn't really like the movie. The only thing he got out of it was Kate Capshaw.

Gim on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't mean that's what needs to happen in this particular series, because everything I hear about it says it is indeed aimed at the squirts. I just mean that if they want fans to take the Clone Wars themselves seriously they need to show some of the horrors of the war, either in a game or a more mature TV series.

The Republic Commando game/books do a good amount of that.

Edit: Reading the thread, you already knew this however.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Temple of Doom was pretty mediocre.

Kate Capshaw was the worst thing about it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gim wrote: »

He tried to give Indiana Jones the trilogy treatment. He felt that the second movie should be the dark second chapter where everything goes to hell, hence Temple. The glaring problem with that approach is that all the movies were standalone, so instead of causing drama in the second act, he bogged down an entire story. Spielberg said he didn't really like the movie. The only thing he got out of it was Kate Capshaw.

How can you give it the "Trilogy Treatment" when ToD takes place BEFORE the first movie?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

How can you give it the "Trilogy Treatment" when ToD takes place BEFORE the first movie?

You got me.

Gim on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It is a bit of a weird example. No doubt Lucas likely shit bricks on the line, because on paper it really is that corny and scene/mood breaking. It's completely saved by the fact that it's totally something Han would say, so nobody groans at it.

But yeah, the best stuff are the ones where he just gives the ingredients, and doesn't actually try to cook it himself, as it were. Which is kinda what I thought this movie was, but I guess a lot of people are saying it's not that at all.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd love to how how Lucas rationalizes that ESB is considered the best movie of them all, and it's the one that was "driving him insane" and had the least directorial input on.

I mean just imagine the prequel trilogy without Lucas as director. Just imagine

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »

It would probably suck pretty bad, too. I don't know when the last time he surrounded himself with people who were more interested in storytelling and believable emotion than green screen effects, but it's been a good quarter of a century. He would have assigned a pawn to do what he did.

Gim on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Personally, this is just the conspiracy theorist in me, but why does Lucas shit on everything that the clone wars series made so incredibly awesome? Is it because it was actually awesome and nearly everyone thinks so and he's just pissed?

Sigh.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »

It would probably suck pretty bad, too. I don't know when the last time he surrounded himself with people who were more interested in storytelling and believable emotion than green screen effects, but it's been a good quarter of a century. He would have assigned a pawn to do what he did.

I still like to believe that Darth Maul would/should have had a better role than a throwaway character. Personally I never dug Count Dooku. I think a duel between Maul and Anakin at the beginning of ROTS would have been vastly more satisfying.

If Lucas hadn't been such a merchandising whore, I also like to believe the scene where Maul reveals the 2nd blade of his saber would have been infinitely cooler, but because of all the merchandising, we knew about his double saber long before the movie came out.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You know, I always wondered about that. That's a great line. It's not only perfectly in line with the character of Han Solo but it even helps define him as a character.

I always wondered how Lucas could have written that and then given us the horrid dialogue that was in every scene between Padme and Anakin in the prequels (and this is coming from someone who overall likes the prequels. Those scenes though...dear god those scenes). That the line he wrote was "I love you too" explains it.

It's all clear now. He just plain can't write romantic dialogue.

HappylilElf on