Options

[WAR] Are you in the beta action, or are you some kinda sissy girl?

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure OB only exist for two reasons, 1) Help get a few more pre-orders. 2) Stress test the servers. I don't think anyone expects any sort of quality feedback from OBs. What little good feedback is there is drowned out by all the internet fuckwads bitching about how the game is "not as good as wow", "the wow killer", or "not truly next gen (I hate that fucking label)"

How can a PC game be next gen I would want to strangle anyone I found who said that stupid ass shit get your console shit out of my mmo.

Jesus h christ.
    There aren't generations in PC hardware now?

Bama on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Orcs are pretty malicious at times

You can't compare them to animals, because orcs are intelligent (relatively) creatures, and while they instinctively love to fight, they also have no problem taking slaves and torturing them for shits and giggles, for example.

boilin' dwarves erry day

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure OB only exist for two reasons, 1) Help get a few more pre-orders. 2) Stress test the servers. I don't think anyone expects any sort of quality feedback from OBs. What little good feedback is there is drowned out by all the internet fuckwads bitching about how the game is "not as good as wow", "the wow killer", or "not truly next gen (I hate that fucking label)"

How can a PC game be next gen I would want to strangle anyone I found who said that stupid ass shit get your console shit out of my mmo.

Jesus h christ.

I'm talking about people saying X mmo is next gen and Y mmo is old or "last gen." I remember playing the AoC OB and there were people bitching that AoC wasn't next gen because the grass and tree leaves were 2d billboards or sprites and not individual 3D polygons and that this ment AoC wasn't a "next gen" mmo and was enough to cause AoC to fail.

I raged, so hard. I can only imagine what kind of asinine comments will be made during the WAR OB.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Jesus h christ.

There are but it doesn't relate to PC games because they are made to run on multiple generations. For instance, the Geforce 200 is nvidia's 10th generation video card. And Warhammer will run on generations 5+ (Geforce 5900 to 200).

When someone labels a PC game "next gen" it's merely marketing speak and tells you nothing about the game.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so wheres the online petition for a /dance function in the game? I for one only got my enjoyment out of wow by watching my female night elf dance and since this is basically wow as well, we need the same thing

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm sure this has been mention before, but did you all see the Paul's video blog where WAR was running on a triple monitor setup? I thought that was pretty cool, I hope they keep that feature in. Though I would like it if I could have a dual monitor setup and having one screen totally dedicated to UI windows and my main monitor be free of all UI elements.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Jesus h christ.

Are you winding me up?

No. They're nowhere near that clear cut. It's a stupid statement no matter what platform it is used on but especially if you dribble it out with a pc game.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    so wheres the online petition for a /dance function in the game? I for one only got my enjoyment out of wow by watching my female night elf dance and since this is basically wow as well, we need the same thing

I hope u can do funny dances ROFL XD
    sorry

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wren wrote: »

I hope u can do funny dances ROFL XD
    sorry

OMG! Why can't orcs be girlz! Fuckin mythci is just being retarded!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Also, that picture is making me even more pissed than ever that my 8800 GT died out, and I'll have to use my backup 7600 for a while. I suspect it won't look as nice on my computer.

I have a 7600.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    a /rapeandpillageyourvillage emoticon would be great though.

Munacra on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Server load shouldn't be an issue if they are halfway competant. Even Conan was able to provide stable servers.

Uh what?

Did you play Age of Conan? Even today there are frequent lag spikes of 10,000ms. You either sit there for 20 seconds and come out fine, or you're booted from the server along with everyone in your instance/zone. How is that a stable server?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    Server load shouldn't be an issue if they are halfway competant. Even Conan was able to provide stable servers.

Uh what?

Did you play Age of Conan? Even today there are frequent lag spikes of 10,000ms. You either sit there for 20 seconds and come out fine, or you're booted from the server along with everyone in your instance/zone. How is that a stable server?

Those weren't there at launch, they came with a later patch. I started playing as soon as the servers went up to the general public.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Uh what?

Those weren't there at launch, they came with a later patch. I started playing as soon as the servers went up to the general public.

You're incorrect. I played from Closed Beta until Month 2 of release. The lag spikes were there from Closed Beta.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Uh what?

You're incorrect. I played from Closed Beta until Month 2 of release. The lag spikes were there from Closed Beta.

Good for you? The game was extremely stable. The lag spikes you are talking about weren't as bad as the ones WoW was getting 6 months after launch.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i never had any stability issues with WoW ever

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good for you? The game was extremely stable. The lag spikes you are talking about weren't as bad as the ones WoW was getting 6 months after launch.

Your original point was that Conan was able to provide stable servers.

My point was that through Closed Beta up until this very day, the servers still give out lag spikes that kick players off the game.

"Good for you"? Is that what we say when we're proven wrong? I'm not trying to flaunt that I was in closed beta. I'm just saying I played the game a helluva lot more than you did and I know for a fact that the servers were a piece of crap in beta and they're a piece of crap today. Funcom was not, and still is not, able to provide stable servers. That's all.

Edit: And what the fuck does WOW have to do with anything? We were talking about server load for WAR... you said Funcom had great servers... they didn't.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    robothero wrote: »

You must have played on a low pop server, then. All the high population ones had queues to log in, lag spikes, and DCs. My medium population server had all of those.

My point was that through Closed Beta up until this very day, the servers still give out lag spikes that kick players off the game.

"Good for you"? Is that what we say when we're proven wrong? I'm not trying to flaunt that I was in closed beta. I'm just saying I played the game a helluva lot more than you did and I know for a fact that the servers were a piece of crap in beta and they're a piece of crap today. Funcom was not, and still is not, able to provide stable servers. That's all.

The servers were very stable, especially given its rather large launch. You must live in some fantasy land were computer systems are flawless though. I still lose arena matches in WoW from servers shitting themselves from time to time.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloodshee wrote:
    One interesting thing that I noticed, not that it matters, is for the past 3-4 days, at least, WAR has been climbing ebgames.com and Amazon's video game best seller lists. For the past two it has topped both of them.
    That is either a very good sign (Yay, popular!) or a very bad one. (Boo, popular! The servers! By Sigmar the servers are on fire! Aaaaahhhhhh!)

Leading the charts at Gamestop too, right ahead of the Wii. The Wii is on track to sell >650k units this month in North America alone, so this is a very good sign.

1.5m worldwide by the end of the first month? Seems like it's going to be in that range, closer to 2m if early reviews are good. Hope they are ready.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You must have played on a low pop server, then. All the high population ones had queues to log in, lag spikes, and DCs. My medium population server had all of those.

The servers were very stable, especially given its rather large launch. You must live in some fantasy land were computer systems are flawless though. I still lose arena matches in WoW from servers shitting themselves from time to time.

Ping climbing to 10,000ms and kicking you from the server during combat has nothing to do with your computer specs. Further, when an entire zone is booted by the spike, it's a server issue.

Again, why are we talking about WOW here?

Figgy on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Ping climbing to 10,000ms and kicking you from the server during combat has nothing to do with your computer specs. Further, when an entire zone is booted by the spike, it's a server issue.

A perfect example of shit we're gonna see in WAR and every MMO from now on. :(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I remember when WoW first went live Tycho spoke about how it would take two and half hours for a spot to open up to play, that little tidbit always stuck with me since it sounded so crazy.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    People are really sick of WoW's stagnation and ready for another good MMO.

If WAR doesn't turn out to be another Conan, I can see that happening easy.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

How do you figure? I havn't experienced that kind of thing yet in WAR.. certainly not entire zones being lost.

Edit: And to clarify, the zones weren't even heavily populated when they crashed in AOC. The spikes still happen today, and they're certainly not heavily populated now in the least.

Figgy on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

How do you figure? I havn't experienced that kind of thing yet in WAR.. certainly not entire zones being lost.

I meant that exact argument.

Servers have been pretty good to me in all 3 games so I can't say anything. But I've seen that exact argument with the exact same counter-argument at least 20-30 times.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Computer systems, i.e., the game servers.

And we're talking about WoW because all MMO servers have problems like these.

As for the AoC issues "still happening today" I wouldn't know. I'm smart enough to have cancelled and uninstalled quite a while ago.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    what the hell does a queue have to do with stability?

Archimonde was one of the highest pop servers for the first year of the game, although it dropped signifigantly when transfers were available with the opening of MugThol

Unknown User on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Are you winding me up?

No. They're nowhere near that clear cut. It's a stupid statement no matter what platform it is used on but especially if you dribble it out with a pc game.

This is my interpretation of PC next-gen, in the form of a one-act play:

THE CAST

Dude 1: A dude. Bought his computer at least six months ago, spent enough to make it a gaming computer, but not a power machine.
    Dude 2: A dude. Bought his computer last week, spent $3000.

SCENE ONE:

Dude 1: Dude, WAR is out.

Dude 2: Does it run on your computer?

Dude 1: Yeah.

Dude 2: Why can't fucking game developers make a fucking next-gen MMO?

END SCENE

FIN

admanb on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Podcast from 1up that talks about the Warhammer beta, for those not in the beta that are interested.

http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/WOW/LT081508.mp3

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Neva wrote: »
    Podcast from 1up that talks about the Warhammer beta, for those not in the beta that are interested.

http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/WOW/LT081508.mp3

Interesting. It's not really anything we don't know (which is probably why they're not afraid of the NDA) but it's from a very WoW-friendly perspective, but it's pretty damn positive, so it seems like good press.

admanb on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AfroJ wrote: »
    When someone labels a PC game "next gen" it's merely marketing speak and tells you nothing about the game.
    Hey, labeling something as next gen is just a marketing ploy? Color me surprised.

Are you winding me up?
    Maybe a little.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is a lot like the casual and hardcore thing. If you don't know what it means, don't dismiss it as some made up term or marketing ploy. It's a stupid topic that should be dropped.

Any word on if the beta client will be usable in retail release? I know a lot of MMOs like to have to reinstall once the retail version pops out, and it's not very fun to have to download a 3 gig patch on launch.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It will be usable. Otherwise the Head Start would not be possible.

grrarg on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    It will be usable. Otherwise the Head Start would not be possible.

I've done games that do the head start and still make you install the retail version when it comes out. New clients won't change server stored stuff like your characters.

Neva on

• Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    so im in open beta.

do i wait for 18th to download the files or wut

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    so im in open beta.

do i wait for 18th to download the files or wut
    Your Open Beta code can be found on the card in your pre-order box or in your pre-order confirmation email. Open Beta files will be available for download on August 18th. PLEASE NOTE: The start date for Open Beta is still to be determined. Check back here for updates!

http://www.warhammeronline.com/preorder/

Tyberius on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    holy fucking shit I got invited into the beta. havent checked my account in like 3 months

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    and its going to take 40 fucking days to download because my speed is like 2.2 kpbs

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    and its going to take 40 fucking days to download because my speed is like 2.2 kpbs

Gimme your spot. I'll actually be able to download the client and play before the closed beta is over. :P

LittleBoots on

• Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Don't bother, wait till tommorow and you can download the client in a non shitty-torrent way.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.