As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Are you in the beta action, or are you some kinda sissy girl?

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Eh, it's only 2 and 1/2 days and things will speed up continually if I leave it on over night.

And LittleBoots....NO BETA FOR YOU!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The goddamn NDA effect irritates the hell out of me. Out playing some tabletop Warhammer with some friends and their impressions of the game thus far (not following too closely) was "everything I hear about it is bad... I thought people weren't really liking it".

They were pretty shocked at my impressions.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone have a link to that chart of "length of NDA vs how good it is". Cause we could show that to Mark to get him to hurry up. Yeah.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    The goddamn NDA effect irritates the hell out of me. Out playing some tabletop Warhammer with some friends and their impressions of the game thus far (not following too closely) was "everything I hear about it is bad... I thought people weren't really liking it".

Most of the time, when I hear something negative about WAR, it's from WoWites.

Everyone in my former guild bashes on it continually, yet after some investigation, not a SINGLE ONE is in the beta.

They bash it in hoping not to lose any guildies to it--and they are right to fear it :D

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That's certainly the case; but when folks who have long quit WoW and love the Warhammer IP are getting weird impressions (or at least skewed ones), it's rather irritating.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hillean wrote: »
    They bash it in hoping not to lose any guildies to it--and they are right to fear it :D
    This attitude doesn't make you fucks endearing, either.

Seriously, MMOs are the new frontier of fanboy stupidity.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it's absolutely the fear, and a somewhat logical one. No one wants to see a guild split between games.

Thing is, people who really like WoW in its current state will probably not like WAR that much. So it's largely unfounded. I don't think WAR will have nearly the same amount of carrots (like crazy rare gear or 2000 points or whatever in Arenas) as WoW, so it won't do it. The combat is also vastly different at high tiers, so I can see quite a few getting there and realizing that it's *not* what they expected or were looking for.

Ultimately, it's pretty retarded either way to side with a game like it's some sort of religion.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheDissolutionTheDissolution Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "My god has a bigger dick than your god."

TheDissolution on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "My gods are bigger dicks than your gods."
    Fixed for Warhammer. :b

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just saw the first print ad for war in the PC gamer I just got - looks cool IMO. It was a two-page ad, same as the designs on the shirts advertised in the last newsletter.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This one?

warprintadlargeal0.th.jpg

To be honest, I'm not feeling it. Looks like it belongs on a MySpace page.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheDissolutionTheDissolution Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You belong on myspace.

TheDissolution on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's rather "HAY LOOK THIS IS SO HIP".

Whatever. If it brings the mass market gamers and the decide to play Order, I'm down.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Q. Can anyone join a siege at any Rank, or only high-end people?

Q. I'm still a little fuzzy on the solo progression. Is there PvE content in the same sense as WoW, or is it all PvP all the time?

Q. Any tips for moving through starting zones quickly?

Q. How does the Squig Herder handle?

Q. How is the class balance? There aren't any 'warlock'-esque untouchables, are there?

Q. How long will it take to reach level cap compared to, say, WoW? And will leveling through PvP be comparable in speed to PvE?

Q. How "fast" does pvp move? Will I get killed in 1-2 shots in less than 5 seconds because I happened to reach for a drink of water, or will I be able to maneuver, plan and execute a course of action, even if taken off guard?

Q. I don't *need* to know this, but did anyone here get a chance to play with the cut classes? Can you provide any insight into specifically why you think they were cut from release?

Q. Colision detection. I know players don't act as actual physical barriers but I was hoping for some more information in how what's in there plays and if it makes a different in terms of how players approach PvP.

Q. Regarding standards, are they something that standard bearers are just able to spawn, or are they crafted somehow, and what cost (if any) is there in doing so? Also, are there any penalties for having your standard captured in battle, other than losing the buffs on the field?

Q. General question, but graphics and other things aside, is the game fun?

Q. New approach to crafting: have you tested it, is it fun, does it make a difference?

Q. We know you can get XP from PvP -- what about gear? Must you PvE for new equipment, or can you get it somehow through PvP?

Q. Blorks: great melee class, or greatest melee class?

Q. Does PvP involve jumping around like a maniac like WoW, or will be more about position and less about being hard to hit.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Hillean wrote: »
    This attitude doesn't make you fucks endearing, either.

Seriously, MMOs are the new frontier of fanboy stupidity.

What do you mean, "new?"

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    2008 is the new 1998

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Super_HappySuper_Happy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The signal to noise ratio in this thread has really gone to shit. I blame the NDA. In other news I'm enjoying a nice tequila buzz as the torrent slowly chugs away.

Super_Happy on
  • Options
    girlgamer23girlgamer23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

about 6 months ago before I got into beta I was playing wow in a pug group and this guy who said he was in beta started talking about how bad it was. I asked him what class he played and he said the Orc Priest. So I probed a bit farther and his whole story just fell apart.

Now I understand if you played it and don't like it however I hate it when people lie about playing a game and spread crap about it.

girlgamer23 on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The signal to noise ratio in this thread has really gone to shit. I blame the NDA. In other news I'm enjoying a nice tequila buzz as the torrent slowly chugs away.

Mmm, booze. Srsly though, I find it distressing how excited I am just to be able to download the client on the 18th.

Seeing that executable on my desktop is going to be painful. I hope OB starts next weekend.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The negative opinions expressed in the predecessor to this thread were valid. There's a few folks who didn't mind breaking NDA to share their negative views and impressions.

So much of it out there is absolute bullshit though. I really don't get the reasoning behind lying or spreading unsupported claims around. What do they have to gain?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The negative opinions expressed in the predecessor to this thread were valid. There's a few folks who didn't mind breaking NDA to share their negative views and impressions.

So much of it out there is absolute bullshit though. I really don't get the reasoning behind lying or spreading unsupported claims around. What do they have to gain?

blizzard sends them a fruit basket

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I had no idea.

Also, I'm very excited to discuss the final question on the list.
    Q. Can anyone join a siege at any Rank, or only high-end people?

Q. I'm still a little fuzzy on the solo progression. Is there PvE content in the same sense as WoW, or is it all PvP all the time?

Q. Any tips for moving through starting zones quickly?

Q. How does the Squig Herder handle?

Q. How is the class balance? There aren't any 'warlock'-esque untouchables, are there?

Q. How long will it take to reach level cap compared to, say, WoW? And will leveling through PvP be comparable in speed to PvE?

Q. How "fast" does pvp move? Will I get killed in 1-2 shots in less than 5 seconds because I happened to reach for a drink of water, or will I be able to maneuver, plan and execute a course of action, even if taken off guard?

Q. I don't *need* to know this, but did anyone here get a chance to play with the cut classes? Can you provide any insight into specifically why you think they were cut from release?

Q. Colision detection. I know players don't act as actual physical barriers but I was hoping for some more information in how what's in there plays and if it makes a different in terms of how players approach PvP.

Q. Regarding standards, are they something that standard bearers are just able to spawn, or are they crafted somehow, and what cost (if any) is there in doing so? Also, are there any penalties for having your standard captured in battle, other than losing the buffs on the field?

Q. General question, but graphics and other things aside, is the game fun?

Q. New approach to crafting: have you tested it, is it fun, does it make a difference?

Q. We know you can get XP from PvP -- what about gear? Must you PvE for new equipment, or can you get it somehow through PvP?

Q. Blorks: great melee class, or greatest melee class?

Q. Does PvP involve jumping around like a maniac like WoW, or will be more about position and less about being hard to hit.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Al Baron wrote: »
    "My god has bigger dicks, and more tentacles and a better rack than your god."
    Fixed for Warhammer. :b
    Fixed for Slaanesh.

see317 on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    we have a guildmate who openly jabs at WAR every chance he gets, and says that he would really lay into the game if he knew it wasn't going to start trouble. Meanwhile, he's never played beta, just going off what he heard on the internet... and every guildmate that gets into beta enjoys it a ton.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Adding a personal Q for that list

Q. What are the rules for changing gear or weapons while in combat?

kaleedity on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »

*mumbles something inaudible*

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

*mumbles something inaudible*

:x

kaleedity on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AMAZON. STOP FUCKING LOADING. GIVE ME MY CODE.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The first page of the media library loads and loads for me too. If it's the same, you can just hit the "downloads" tab at the top and it should just jump to the right spot.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    icon_heartbeat.gif

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    we have a guildmate who openly jabs at WAR every chance he gets, and says that he would really lay into the game if he knew it wasn't going to start trouble. Meanwhile, he's never played beta, just going off what he heard on the internet... and every guildmate that gets into beta enjoys it a ton.

My friends really surprised me last night. There was a conversation like;

Friends: "I heard it will be just like WoW at the endgame; another gear treadmill and grind."

Me: "Not as much, the carrots tend to be things like tome unlocks, parallel gear, renown, and just the action of PvP itself."

Friends: "Then no one will play it after a year; you have to have the carrot or people will give up very quickly."

:|

This was followed, not ten minutes later, by a conversation about how STV and Hillsbrad were so much fun back in the day before the Honor system.

edit: That do it, Quid?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So I guess my other question is where to download the client since all I'm finding are pirating sites.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    So I guess my other question is where to download the client since all I'm finding are pirating sites.
    Open Beta files will be available for download on August 18th. PLEASE NOTE: The start date for Open Beta is still to be determined. Check back here for updates!

kaleedity on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My friends seem to equate Funcom's failures with AoC to WAR for some reason.

I need new ones.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just make sure to remind them about it when you're all battering down the gates of a keep in Reikland some time.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Open Beta files will be available for download on August 18th. PLEASE NOTE: The start date for Open Beta is still to be determined. Check back here for updates!
    Man I suck.

Quid on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me: "You actually get loot for participating in things.

Friend: "That's not cool, that just means everyone will have good stuff. Like welfare epics, but worse."

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Me: "You actually get loot for participating in things.

Friend: "That's not cool, that just means everyone will have good stuff. Like welfare epics, but worse."

This was where you did the Six mouths comic monologue, right?

Right?!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The game doesn't need to be evangalized at this point. An occasional "Warhammer made green orcs first" is enough. If people like the style of play, they'll probably dig the game and be playing alongside you in a few months.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    Your friends have a point, many of the newer-generation MMOers (people who only have experience with WoW/Post-WoW) require the carrots to stay interested in something. Those players wouldn't have survived in EQ, DAoC, AC or any second gen MMO because even though they had levels and skills and whatnot, they were mostly open ended at the end of the day allowing players to create their own destiny. Many MMOers don't know what that is like, so assume it will fail.

Unknown User on
This discussion has been closed.