Options

[WAR] Are you in the beta action, or are you some kinda sissy girl?

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do we know yet what Mythic's philosophy for endgame character progression is? Are they going to constantly be introducing new tiers of gear and such to keep moving forward the power levels like most MMOs?

Zek on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Your friends have a point, many of the newer-generation MMOers (people who only have experience with WoW/Post-WoW) require the carrots to stay interested in something. Those players wouldn't have survived in EQ, DAoC, AC or any second gen MMO because even though they had levels and skills and whatnot, they were mostly open ended at the end of the day allowing players to create their own destiny. Many MMOers don't know what that is like, so assume it will fail.

It's odd for this crew, as they're largely old-school gamer types and often do things just to do them. They're also PvP people.

I really think they were just parroting internets rabble. You've got a good point, too. As PvPers, I have little doubt this particular crew of friends will understand when they play. Others, like one of my coworkers who *thinks* she's really interested, the endgame will probably feel very odd and "contentless", as her view of content is very specifically killing the same NPCs repeatedly for a shot at loot.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but you're probably right; many probably consider the polish of WoW synonymous with extremely difficult raid bosses and hyper-rare loot.
    Zek wrote: »
    Do we know yet what Mythic's philosophy for endgame character progression is? Are they going to constantly be introducing new tiers of gear and such to keep moving forward the power levels like most MMOs?

I want to think they've said that raising the level cap and scaling everything up is not what they want to do. They see having more options, not more power with the same or similar options.

Apparently they already have five years of content mapped out.

edit: or not exactly;

http://joshdrescher.com/2008/05/10/five-years-of-what/

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

God I hope not.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I betcha it will be like Camelot's system where it's like sideway's progression. There can be a Level 50 character in Camelot, but then there are also 13 Realm Ranks(several years worth of effort, at the very least), 10 Master Levels from Epic PvE Raids, and 10 Champion level ranks.

HOWEVER, even with all the realm abilities and added bonuses, a fully accomplished maxxed out character still has his realistic limits meaning that even though you are a 'bad ass' you never do have the ability to just beat the shit out of anyone or anything at the drop of a hat because you are that uber.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stuff is always better how it used to be.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Stuff is always better how it used to be.

Until you go back to it and realize it only seems better cause that's all there was.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WoW capped at 60 with Outland and Northrend would be awesome. There's a point where enough is enough, and considering a quest-geared 70 can crush a well-geared 60 (talking tier 3 raid versus blues you pick up on the way to 70), I think balance is gone.

But I don't know, I just don't enjoy seeing massive numbers in statistics. I don't need a level 3,500 Supreme Rainbow Paladin.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guuyyyyysssss.

Are there imbalances between Order and Destruction? Pop wise not class wise. My guild is going Order because they fear of a HUGE destruction player base. I don't really care since both have some awesome classes (Looking at you Engineer and Magus! I WANT TO PLAY BOTH!) I was just curious if there decision was correct.

And do Engineers rock?

Also I hate you all <3.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't fall under NDA :\.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Guuyyyyysssss.

Are there imbalances between Order and Destruction? Pop wise not class wise. My guild is going Order because they fear of a HUGE destruction player base. I don't really care since both have some awesome classes (Looking at you Engineer and Magus! I WANT TO PLAY BOTH!) I was just curious if there decision was correct.

And do Engineers rock?

Also I hate you all <3.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't fall under NDA :\.

It definitely does fall under the NDA, but I'll tell you there's no real way to tell what the population balance will be post-launch until.. well... post-launch.

I'm thinking Order will out-number Destruction, simply because it's a bit more cheery... certain classes are fucking beasts.. and they're considered the "good guys" by many people.

Right now, I don't think most people are playing the class(es) they want to stick with post-launch. I'm taking every class I have a slight interest in up to level 8 or so just to get the feel.. from both sides.

Figgy on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WoW capped at 60 with Outland and Northrend would be awesome. There's a point where enough is enough, and considering a quest-geared 70 can crush a well-geared 60 (talking tier 3 raid versus blues you pick up on the way to 70), I think balance is gone.

But I don't know, I just don't enjoy seeing massive numbers in statistics. I don't need a level 3,500 Supreme Rainbow Paladin.

What they should have done was not upgrade characters/content "upward" but instead "sideways". For example add new talents to existing tiers to further define certain trees and possibly have new talent paths towards the same end talent for diversity.

On another note, trying to not break the NDA here but Morsk's story of his friends about the carrot. Did they not hear you the first time about more frequent "carrots" and the fact that Renown Ranks will be worst (and better, ie: fun) than any rep grind in WoW?

Tyberius on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    and considering a quest-geared 70 can crush a well-geared 60 (talking tier 3 raid versus blues you pick up on the way to 70), I think balance is gone.
    o_O

Bama on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I find it so difficult to hype this game up to my friends simply because there is so much shit to explain. I usually just end up saying, "Think of everything you hated in every MMO you've ever played... Mythic tried to fix that shit."

Most of it, they succeeded.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You should go with the side you prefer. I think odds are Order will be bigger, but the teams will probably be fairly balanced. Destruction is obviously popular from what people have said about the beta, but I don't think it will last when the game goes public. "Good guys" always get more people.

Zek on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah but both sides are so awesome. I mean Witch Hunters just look bad ass.

Any who I'm excited and thanks for what you told me <3.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah but both sides are so awesome. I mean Witch Hunters just look bad ass.

Any who I'm excited and thanks for what you told me <3.

Figgy on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Witch Hunters are straight up the coolest class in anything ever. They have a gun, a sword, a codpiece and a sweet moustache. They shoot people execution style as they try to run away and also set them on fire.

Fucking. Awesome.

This is rather problematic given that Six Mouths is a destruction guild.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Witch Hunters are straight up the coolest class in anything ever. They have a gun, a sword, a codpiece and a sweet moustache. They shoot people execution style as they try to run away and also set them on fire.

Fucking. Awesome.

This is rather problematic given that Six Mouths is a destruction guild.

You forgot about the hat.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Witch Hunters are pretty sweet.

This game will be the worst game for alts ever.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NOPE. MARUADER. I WILL MUTATE MY DICK AND IMPALE YOU ON IT, AND THEN EAT YOU.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Everyone knows Black Orcs is da 'ardest.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I sort of go from "Goddamn those Witch Hunters look awesome" to cringing whenever I see a Bright Wizard.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    mors, does the hi in my application thread mean I'm in

do i have to sacrifice a goat

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bright Wizard. A guy who runs around while on fire, screaming, and setting everything else on fire. Sometimes he explodes.

How the fuck do you not love that?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in love with a white lion. <3

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »

Yes and yes. We're not picky at the moment, so the apps are more of a running record of who's showing interest and who they are. Also, because we're not picky, a virgin would do too.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

Yes and yes. We're not picky at the moment, so the apps are more of a running record of who's showing interest and who they are. Also, because we're not picky, a virgin would do too.

Bad idea, low retention rate for applicants if they have to kill themselves. Think of something else, Ren.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bright Mages are cool and all, but only having one element that your class can ever use is sort of a drag.

Zek on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bright Mages are cool and all, but only having one element that your class can ever use is sort of a drag.
    But that element is fire, the greatest of all magical elements.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

Bad idea, low retention rate for applicants if they have to kill themselves. Think of something else, Ren.

i will sacrifice you to the rocket gods

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Like I said many moons ago

best glove ever

GShaman02.jpg

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, here's how I see the future of this game. In 9 months or so there will be a complete reboot, kind of like the New Game Experience in Star Wars Galaxies. They'll set the character creation up like in the old school Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, with randomly selected character classes like "Agitator." Then everyone can start complaining about how imba the Ratcatcher is. Of course, that means the only Order race will be Empire.

On the Destruction side, they'll get rid of Greenskins and Dark Elves. Chaos will be changed so that everyone starts out as a Chaos Initiate. Character progression will take place based on the old Realm of Chaos books. Every level you will randomly roll for a chaos reward. You'll gain Chaos Attributes over time. Eventually, if you're unlucky, you might become a Spawn, a gibbering mass of twisted flesh. At that point, you can no longer delete that character nor create or play any other character. You worshipped Chaos, you knew the risk, now live with the consequences, wretch.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So the EU beta has been down since Friday night (auth.server problem - again). Do you US testers have periods of 30-40 hours of downtime without any sort of official reply? :|

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gnomocide wrote: »
    So the EU beta has been down since Friday night (auth.server problem - again). Do you US testers have periods of 30-40 hours of downtime without any sort of official reply? :|

No, but their feedback is valued, so them not being able to play matters.

jks jks.

On a far more serious matter, tommorow I finally get to download the client and start to use the beta invite I got a fortnight ago :whistle: (boo not being able to forward one's ports)

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now this is getting ridiculous, the B server went down some hours ago and my account is somehow still logged into it, I cant even play on the other servers.

Oh well, beta is always a beta.

EDIT: And the instant I start complaining it starts working again.

Elos on
  • Options
    JextJext Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone in EU beta that can tell me if the servers are up or down atm?

Jext on
  • Options
    GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jext wrote: »
    Anyone in EU beta that can tell me if the servers are up or down atm?

Authentication server has been down since friday night D:

Edit: It's back up now!

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You're thinking in terms of WoW mages. In Warhammer, Imperial Wizards only ever have one Wind of magic to command. Sure, you only have ONE element, but think of all the variations within that element. Do I want to set things on fire from a distance, or set things that are close to me on fire? Do I want to melt their eyes from their skull, boil their blood, or cause their nethers to erupt in a burning, itching horror? How do I feel about fireballs, should they explode on impact?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Witch Hunters are straight up Van Helsing wanna-be's.

Fixed.

:D

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hay guys. I'z smashin' stunties in da beta.

Am I doing it right?

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    How do I feel about fireballs, should they explode on impact?

Isn't the answer to this one obvious?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
This discussion has been closed.