As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Input Device Extravaganza

EthelredEthelred Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
I recently looked down at my keyboard, and realized that it's a bit busted. One of the rubber feet has smeared glue on the bottom, the little plastic thingies that prop up the keyboard have lost their spring, and there's that dirty color that comes from prolonged use that no amount of scrubbing can get off.

This got me thinking about buying a new keyboard, and since there wasn't really a thread here about the various input devices available, I thought we could have a little chat about them.

Now, in March I bought the Logitech G5 Laser Mouse for $70.

707.1.0.jpg

This was the first mouse I had bought that was greater than $15, and after the inner pain of having paid such a cost for something so simple subsided, I was pretty pleased with my purchase. The feel of the mouse is great-- it moves smoothly, the texture grips your hand without being rough or unpleasant, and it's well-shaped for my big-ass hands. Now, the other features were unnecessary, like the fact that you can change the mouse sensitivity to six different settings on the fly by pressing the + and - buttons, and that it included a weight set that was designed to "customize your mouse with a heft and balance that’s just right for your game." These features don't really detract from the mouse, but at the same time, I got the feeling that they could have shaved a few dollars off the price if they had removed it. Still, my only major complaints with the mouse is that it's wired, and the software kinda sucks.

Meanwhile, keyboards.

10364866.jpg

This is the keyboard I'm using now, the BenQ X120 Internet Keyboard Pro, because it was $10. It's a good little keyboard, but it's cheap and feels a bit odd, like the keys are made of balloons or something.

Here are some of the keyboards I've been looking at:

23-146-004-02.jpg

This is the Warrior by Wolf King, which just fascinates me. It looks like a comfortable FPS-focused gaming keyboard that could really be used for most games. This looks far more appealing to me than some of the other gaming-focused keyboards, such as the Ideazon Fang Gamepad or any ZBoard. At $35-40, they aren't too expensive, which makes them tempting, but is it truly better than gaming with a standard keyboard? I just don't know. Wolf King also makes a keyboard that combines this pad with a standard QWERTY board, called the Timberwolf.

23-126-034-01.jpg

I've read that some people that swear by the Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, but to me it looks like way more keyboard than is necessary. At $90, I'd have to have a serious recommendation to go for it. But at the same time, it looks sleek (though it sort of looks like it escaped from a Quake game), exhibits a proven style (i.e., it is a keyboard), has backlighting, is wireless, and has some other little goodies.

Then there are novelty keyboards.

optimax-1wtmk.jpg

This probably doesn't need the introduction, but the Optimus Maximus keyboard is available. Each key has a small LCD display on it, which means you can map out each key to a different image. There are limitless possibilities, from mapping vital keys that you use in WoW to drawing a huge penis across the entire keyboard. Now, actually purchasing this thing is another story. At a staggering $1,800, I'd be afraid to touch the damn thing for fear of having to replace it. I've also never seen a story of someone actually using the keyboard. Despite its huge flaws, the entire concept of the keyboard is cool enough that it bears mentioning.

a85c_luxeed_new.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBfmb6Dsh8&eurl=http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/a85c/

In a similar strain, there's the Luxeed Dynamic Pixel LED Keyboard. Each key can be turned a different color, again creating some awesome possibilities. Be sure to see the video for full effect. While the price tag isn't Optimus bad, it's still pretty high at $200.

So, what do we think of keyboards and mice? Which are good, and which are God-awful? Are keyboards like the Optimus the future, or are we headed in a multi-touch direction? Mice or track balls? Touchpads or those little laptop nubbins? Let's talk input.

Ethelred on

• SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Last week I purchased the Razer Lycosa keyboard, the last one at Best Buy.

20071004_razer_lycosa.jpg

Each key is backlit, and this can be turned off for totally blank keyboarding (think Das). This was lampooned in a review I read, but I actually like being able to do that. Plus, every key can be mapped, similar to the Optimus Maximus. No fancy LEDs, but it's nice being able to take those unused F keys and make them shortcuts to documents/music/picture folders, etc.

Silvoculous on
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Last week I purchased the Razer Lycosa keyboard, the last one at Best Buy.

20071004_razer_lycosa.jpg

Each key is backlit, and this can be turned off for totally blank keyboarding (think Das). This was lampooned in a review I read, but I actually like being able to do that. Plus, every key can be mapped, similar to the Optimus Maximus. No fancy LEDs, but it's nice being able to take those unused F keys and make them shortcuts to documents/music/picture folders, etc.

Had it, hated it, sold it, and moved on to a cheaper Dell keyboard with a volume control, and I don't regret it. It's horribly oversized and has terrible key feedback.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If anything, this keyboard feels almost undersized. My old keyboard, a Microsoft Digital Media Pro, took up all of the space on the drawer mounted under my desk. Take off the guard on the bottom of the Lycosa, and the thing's just diminutive.

Plus, it has a volume control, and I like the key feedback almost as much as the Microsoft board. The only downside to it that I can see is that it uses two USB inputs and gives only one output. But nowadays we have so many USB ports that it doesn't even matter.

Silvoculous on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have the old G15, and the extra macro keys really are quite useful, the LCD less so, but I can't really say that it's worth $90

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have THE most simple keyboard I could find on newegg. plain old usb logitech, not fancy whatsoever.

razer mouse though. I think it's the Adder.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I use a Unicomp Customizer keyboard. It's an update of the IBM Model M keyboard (with the springs) but with a native USB connector.

Thomamelas on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've had a G5, MX518, and a Razer Deathadder. I have to say I was very disappointed in the quality of both Logitech products, the G5 especially. It had horrible problems with the mousewheel that made middle clicking hard and scrolling the wheel (especially in games) a nightmare. Furthermore both mice developed a software problem where middle click stopped working entirely, I assume due to Logitech's drivers.

The best mouse I've had so far is the DeathAdder. It has a much more comfortable form factor, feels great moving it around on the pad, the side buttons are superior, and it looks cool.

deathadderlrg2ud4.jpg

I currently use a Saitek Eclipse keyboard. The keys are too large and far apart for my taste, and I've never been able to type quite as fast or as comfortably on it as on some other keyboards--but it's the sturdiest keyboard I've ever used, which is why I bought it. And it glows blue, which matches my mouse and my PC's fans.

saitekeclipsekb2ts2.jpg

Do not neglect the mousepad. $8 pads from Wal-mart are not good for gaming and are not even comfortable for everyday internet use. I use a nice, gigantic cloth gaming pad, which is incredibly smooth moving the mouse across (seriously, it feels smoother than a hard pad with my Deathadder) and much more comfortable to rest your arm on. Plus, you don't have to wipe it down every few days.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a MX518. I avoided the G5 because of the middle click issues, the MX518 is annoying me though, I keep accidentally pressing the decrease sensitivity key. Previously I had an IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 and the mouse wheel on it broke very fast and couldn't tell the difference between clicking and scrolling at all. Also, for mouse and keyboards, I would recommend against installing any drivers whatsoever.

For a keyboard I have this:
    1561-1865.jpg
    Yeah it's way way too expensive for what it does, but I really really like it.

Need to invest in a better mouse pad soon as I have a shitty one with advertising on it. Also I looked into dedicated WASD pads... It still looks pretty tempting...

Edit: Also does this count as an input device:
    zluull.jpg
    Console controller flamewar thread time? More seriously, how well do these play with Windows?

Zell on
  • TokledTokled Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I use a Unicomp Customizer keyboard. It's an update of the IBM Model M keyboard (with the springs) but with a native USB connector.

I came into this thread to recommend this very thing, but you beat me to it.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html (yes the website is very low quality, but it is legit)

This company basically bought the rights to the IBM buckling spring keyboard technology when IBM stopped making the model M back in the 90s. These aren't just cheap replicas, they are built like tanks just like the old model Ms and will pretty much last forever. If your interested in a top quality keyboard and don't want/need all the crazy bells and whistles they slap on "modern" keyboards (lcd screens? comeon...) you might consider one. In my (and many others) opinion there is no better typing experience than keyboards made with buckling spring technology.

The only con worth mentioning is that they are LOUD. If you plan on using your keyboard where someone you live with will frequently be in the same room while you are using it, you may annoy them (or drive them crazy).

Personally I went with the black 104 key version since the windows button is handy in linux.

Tokled on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What Tokled said. If you do any kind of serious typing, buckling spring is like sex for your fingers. Erm, or something like that.

I'm curious though, what do you use the Windows key for in linux? My first though was remapping emacs' Meta key to it, but that doesn't really make sense (since everyone knows you should remap it to Caps Lock :-p).

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    cyphr wrote: »
    What Tokled said. If you do any kind of serious typing, buckling spring is like sex for your fingers. Erm, or something like that.

I'm curious though, what do you use the Windows key for in linux? My first though was remapping emacs' Meta key to it, but that doesn't really make sense (since everyone knows you should remap it to Caps Lock :-p).

I mainly use it as an extra function key for shortcuts (it is the default key for a lot of the combo shortcuts in compiz for one). Really though it isn't that important at all and most of the shortcuts could be replaced by ctrl key combos, but it can be nice to have an extra key.

I suppose I shouldn't have said it's helpful for Linux specifically since it can probably be used similarly in windows. I absolutely hate the default functionality of the key in windows, especially when playing games that use the ctrl key a lot.

This reminds me of a keyboard I saw a while back: http://www.deckkeyboards.com/. I like how they sell alternative key cap sets to replace some of the default ones (a tux key for linux users to replace the windows key, wasd keys with little arrows, things like that) If I had the money to spend $150 on a keyboard and didn't enjoy the feel of my unicomp so much I would be tempted to try one of those.

Tokled on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    If I had the money I would buy a new keyboard daily. The things get disgusting so fast :(

Zell on
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That place has keyboards with the mouse built in like a laptop keyboard!
    http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104wh.html

I always wanted a keyboard that had that. I think I am in the minority of people who prefer the little mouse stick instead of the track pad on laptops.

They also have a wireless one, which if you can handle the size of it would work well for a media PC.

Jollus on
    edited August 2008
    I preferred the little joystick as well but I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want it over a real mouse on a desktop computer.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    I preferred the little joystick as well but I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want it over a real mouse on a desktop computer.

I could see myself using it if I'm doing a lot of typing and need to use the mouse for a second to click something without taking my hand away from the keyboard.
    That place has keyboards with the mouse built in like a laptop keyboard!
    http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/en104wh.html

I always wanted a keyboard that had that. I think I am in the minority of people who prefer the little mouse stick instead of the track pad on laptops.

They also have a wireless one, which if you can handle the size of it would work well for a media PC.

I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think their wireless keyboards use the buckling springs (can someone confirm?). I thought I read that some of their keyboards are outsourced and not built in the same factory as their retro IBM-esque tanks, which are all build in the good 'ol USA.

Tokled on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, the basic media keyboard from Dell is actually surprisingly good. Very nice tactile response.
    Dell_keyboard_1.jpg
    Zell wrote: »
    PS3 controller
    Console controller flamewar thread time? More seriously, how well do these play with Windows?

I know that it works perfectly through the mini-usb cable if you install the drivers that are floating around for them. Unfortunately, I don't have a bluetooth receiver to try using them wirelessly. Without getting into controller wars though, I'd suggest the 360 controller if you're just looking for a PC controller: not only are the drivers built into windows, but a lot of new games automatically recognize it and have the console version's controls already programed in

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Well with the wireless 360 controller I got with the console I would have to buy a seperate wireless reciever as the usb charger for it only allows charging. That and I intend to actually use the d-pad.

Zell on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like those round keyboards they look really comfy, can anyone tell me (and the OP) about them from first hand experience?

SkutSkut on
  • GooseGoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have one of those Wolf King keyboards. Its one with the FPS pad integrated into the left of a standard keyboard, and I believe at the time it was called the "Wolf Claw". Those pads are pure gold, and I can't imagine gaming on a PC without one now. My only problem with the keyboard was that there wasn't a number pad on the right, so I had to buy one of those seperate. However, the keyboard had two USB ports on the top, so it wasn't a big jumble of wires running through my desk to put the seperate number pad in.

So, in summation, get!

Goose on
    Give a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    - Terry Pratchett
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I knew i should not have clicked this link, i now want to spend £70-80 to get this:

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Article_Ergodex.html

Mangaroo on
  • EthelredEthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goose wrote: »
    I have one of those Wolf King keyboards. Its one with the FPS pad integrated into the left of a standard keyboard, and I believe at the time it was called the "Wolf Claw". Those pads are pure gold, and I can't imagine gaming on a PC without one now. My only problem with the keyboard was that there wasn't a number pad on the right, so I had to buy one of those seperate. However, the keyboard had two USB ports on the top, so it wasn't a big jumble of wires running through my desk to put the seperate number pad in.

So, in summation, get!

Well, sounds good. It still kind of bothers me that the pad has two Control keys on the left-- is that weird in practice? Can they be mapped separately?
    Mangaroo wrote:
    I knew i should not have clicked this link, i now want to spend £70-80 to get this:

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/...e_Ergodex.html

Wow, I haven't seen those before. Nifty.
    Do not neglect the mousepad. $8 pads from Wal-mart are not good for gaming and are not even comfortable for everyday internet use. I use a nice, gigantic cloth gaming pad, which is incredibly smooth moving the mouse across (seriously, it feels smoother than a hard pad with my Deathadder) and much more comfortable to rest your arm on. Plus, you don't have to wipe it down every few days.

While that mousepad looks awesome, it also looks oppresively big. I'm not even sure my desk would fit a mousepad that size.

Ethelred on
    edited August 2008
    For mine, I just turned it vertically so that it runs all the way to the back of my desk, fits near perfectly (I have a pretty average sized computer desk). My right speaker just sits on top of it. But barring that you can easily cut it in half with some scissors or a knife.

OremLK on
  • GooseGoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ethelred wrote: »

So, in summation, get!

Well, sounds good. It still kind of bothers me that the pad has two Control keys on the left-- is that weird in practice? Can they be mapped separately?

Yeah, they're seperately mappable. However, oddly enough the one directly below the shift key operates as the left-Ctrl, rather than the one that's actually on the left. I think its because on a normal keyboard, the Ctrl for that side is right under the shift key. It doesn't make any sense when actually making the mappings, but you don't think about it when actually playing something.

Its also ergonomic as all hell. Your fingers just naturally fall into all the perfect places. The big space bar for your thumb is something I just can't live without any more.

Goose on
    Give a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    - Terry Pratchett
  • EthelredEthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For mine, I just turned it vertically so that it runs all the way to the back of my desk, fits near perfectly (I have a pretty average sized computer desk). My right speaker just sits on top of it. But barring that you can easily cut it in half with some scissors or a knife.

I'm not sure how big the desks are in my dorm yet, but you're right, a good mouse pad can be key. I'm just going to get that one, and see what happens.
    Ethelred wrote: »

So, in summation, get!

Yeah, they're seperately mappable. However, oddly enough the one directly below the shift key operates as the left-Ctrl, rather than the one that's actually on the left. I think its because on a normal keyboard, the Ctrl for that side is right under the shift key. It doesn't make any sense when actually making the mappings, but you don't think about it when actually playing something.

Its also ergonomic as all hell. Your fingers just naturally fall into all the perfect places. The big space bar for your thumb is something I just can't live without any more.

I think I'm going to give this a shot, then. I like the design, and have heard mostly good things. This is exciting. I'm excited. Right now.

Ethelred on
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess I'm an absolute freak of nature seeing as how I use a VERY old Microsoft Natural keyboard like this only without gimpy arrows. So old in fact that it says "Designed for Windows 95" on the bottom. I've used this keyboard for probably 12 years, and I'm only 20 years old. I don't use a mouse either, I use a Logitech TrackMan and have been using trackballs for as long as I've had this keyboard.

fsmith1 on
  • shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    I guess I'm an absolute freak of nature seeing as how I use a VERY old Microsoft Natural keyboard like this only without gimpy arrows. So old in fact that it says "Designed for Windows 95" on the bottom. I've used this keyboard for probably 12 years, and I'm only 20 years old. I don't use a mouse either, I use a Logitech TrackMan and have been using trackballs for as long as I've had this keyboard.

That's funny, I have a friend that has that exact same setup for those exact same reasons and has been using it for the exact same amount of time. Wait... your name isn't Chris is it? D: I have the old "made for Win 95" MS Natural sitting in a closet along with a standard $10 104 keyboard and an extra Saitek Eclipse. I sometimes pull it out and type on it for a day or two, just because I love how it feels.

I've been using a Saitek Eclipse with a Logitech G5 mouse for 2-3 years now. This past week I somehow got it in my head that I need a new keyboard. I don't know why, since I never use macros and see no reason to start, and that's the only reason to "upgrade" a gaming keyboard in my opinion. I picked up a Razer Lycosa from Best Buy. After a night of WoW raiding, I ended up returning it yesterday. I guess I just didn't like the feel compared to my old Eclipse -- it felt too small and constricted, like a laptop keybaord. That, and since I'll probably never use the macro functions, I had major "buyer's remorse" about it.

I thought of returning it for the Eclipse II, thinking "hey, an update on a keyboard that has served me well is good, right?" But then I couldn't justify it since the only update they made between the original and the Eclipse II was additional lighting options. If they had put a few USB ports on the back I would have probably bought it.

Does anyone have any experience with Saitek's new Cyborg keyboard? I know it's the latest version of the Eclipse but Best Buy doesn't carry it.

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just got the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 4000 to go with my computer.

The keyboard is pretty nice. Nice and comfortable. Range is pretty good, but could be better.

The mouse, unfortunately, has one of those mousewheels that doesn't click, making it somewhat useless for gaming. Fuck.

Daedalus on
    edited September 2008
    I have never had any luck with wireless mice. At best, they are usable for basic internet browsing and shit, but I would never want one for anything requiring precision.

OremLK on
  • shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have never had any luck with wireless mice. At best, they are usable for basic internet browsing and shit, but I would never want one for anything requiring precision.

I second this. Just one exception: the Dell bluetooth travel mouse that sometimes comes with their laptops work pretty well, and for added amazement they are 5-button devices.

Still, I wouldn't play a FPS with it -- I stick to C&C or Sins of the Solar Empire, maybe Warcraft if I'm just solo and not responsible to anyone else for my possible sluggishness.

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just use the saitek exlipse II, it has LED backlighting and you can change the colours and stuff, it responds well, looks cool. No issues so far.

saitek_eclipse_4.jpg

For a mouse i have the razr lachesis.

lachesis_blue4.jpg

Probably the best mouse i've ever had for gaming.

Both of these cost me around $60 each (I think the keyboard was 60, i honestly cant totally remember, i have a feeling it may have been less.). I dont know if thats normal cuz i kind of pulled some strings to get them at those prices im not sure what they normally are.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Also, the basic media keyboard from Dell is actually surprisingly good. Very nice tactile response.
    Dell_keyboard_1.jpg
    Zell wrote: »
    PS3 controller

I know that it works perfectly through the mini-usb cable if you install the drivers that are floating around for them. Unfortunately, I don't have a bluetooth receiver to try using them wirelessly. Without getting into controller wars though, I'd suggest the 360 controller if you're just looking for a PC controller: not only are the drivers built into windows, but a lot of new games automatically recognize it and have the console version's controls already programed in

The surprising thing is that the above mentioned dell keyboard is actually pretty good.

My work machine uses that keyboard (I nabbed it from a server I'd purchased for work, server is connected to a kvm with a bunch of other servers so it wasn't needed). Whilst it looks like dell cut back on the plastic to save costs or something the spring action on the keys is very good.

As to my home machine, i'm a Logitech G15 and G5 user here. No real complaints, i've never used the weights on the G5 and when playing certain games I use the dpi buttons quite frequently.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ocz-nia.jpg

dammit we have them in my store and I'm fucking buying one because I enjoy being poor and having useless gadgets

Brolo on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

That's the weird thing: as far as precision goes, it's almost always just fine. It's almost (but not quite!) as good as my old Logitech MX510. It's just the damn no-click mousewheel that bugs me.

Daedalus on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    ocz-nia.jpg

dammit we have them in my store and I'm fucking buying one because I enjoy being poor and having useless gadgets

and what the hell is that?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    ocz-nia.jpg

and what the hell is that?

The OCZ Neural Interface Actuator

Pretty much you put on the headband and it will read from your facial, eye and brain impulses.
    Here's a reviewer resting it out:
    Since we received our review sample several weeks ago, we have attempted to spend about 30 minutes gaming with it each day in Unreal Tournament 3 for practice. On the first day, the only thing we were able to do was control the muscle sensor. However, this was enough to allow us to configure the NIA with basic commands and play a few rounds of UT3. Over the first week, we quickly became very proficient with muscle sensor control and gained a limited level of use of the glance sensor. However, Alpha and Beta control still alluded us.

Despite being limited to muscle and glance control, we were able to play UT3 quite proficiently by the end of the first week. Using the default UT3 profile which ships with the NIA, the NIA was used for movement and shooting while the mouse was used for steering. We were able to careen around the maps at a decent pace and we were generally able to get where we wanted in quick order. However, control accuracy was lacking, but that was largely due to a lack of control on our part.

By the end of the second week, we had progressed enough in skill to be able to consistently and easily defeat the UT3 AI at the first four difficulty levels in a free-for-all match using the basic default UT3 NIA profile. We also played a match of Counter-Strike: Source. We whipped up a custom profile in a few short minutes but instead of relying on the NIA for the majority of our movement control, we decided to use the NIA in a support role. The keyboard and mouse were used as usual, but the trigger was set as a NIA switch event. The jump, duck and walk commands were also taken over by a NIA joystick. With this profile, we effectively used the NIA to augment our normal playing and to great effect. The NIA provided superior trigger response time and the difference was quite noticeable and immediate. A reflexive clench of the jaw was all that was necessary to squeeze out a precise burst of fire.

While it may take weeks to master the NIA's basic functions and maybe longer for the Brainfingers, you will be able to enjoy the benefits nearly immediately, all thanks to custom profiles. Even if you only have very rough control of the muscle sensor, you can still set it to a switch event that controls the trigger. The difference in reaction time between a finger twitch and a twitch of an eyebrow is great enough that unless you are already a very high level twitch-FPS player, you will probably see an immediate improvement in reaction time using the NIA over a mouse for the trigger.

We also felt that the NIA was quite tiring to use, especially at the beginning. When just starting, we had to make large exaggerated movements to trigger the NIA's sensors. This quickly tired us out and we felt fatigued after only 20 minutes of gameplay. However, with a few days of practice, we were able to easily handle longer stints with the NIA. With some practice we didn't need to make such large movements and after a week a casual observer was no longer able to tell we were moving at all. The muscles in our face were also getting a workout and like all muscles, they became stronger and more resilient over time from use.

Brainfingers

At the time of writing, we have learned to control several Brainfingers, however it is difficult to pin-point when we learned how to use them. We initially started trying to learn Brainfingers in the configuration utility by observing the real-time graph of the Brainfinger sensors. We found that we could make the Brainfingers all drop together by relaxing, breathing deeply and clearing our minds. This was easy to do consistently in the configuration utility but unfortunately you can't exactly count on it in a tense multiplayer deathmatch. We also found that working ourselves from a relaxed state to an excited state raised the Brainfingers, also quite consistently.

Using these observations, we modified the UT3 profile we had been using for daily practice with the addition of the Beta 2 Brainfinger. We chose it because it seemed to move with the most consistency and we set it to simply switch to the next weapon. This proved quite chaotic for this first day or two since a sudden tense moment in the game would cause the weapon to change unexpectedly. Over time, we eventually got a hang on controlling the Beta 2 Brainfinger. We were able to change weapons in the game at will, with only a slight bit of effort and concentration. Unfortunately we found that we were not actually just controlling Beta 2, but also Beta 3 and 4. We eventually learned how to separate Beta 2 from Beta 3 although Beta 4 still alludes us.

The NIA doesn't come with any documentation on how to learn to use the Brainfngers and we think we know why. There is simply no way to explain how it is done, you must simply learn it from experience. Overall, the best advice we have for learning how to use Brainfingers is to simply play with them in a game.

Brolo on
    edited September 2008
    Is that serious?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2008
    Is that serious?

So serious.

Brolo on
    edited September 2008
    LIES!

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What I want is a full-size mouse that uses bluetooth without a transmitter, straight to the laptop.

Alas I do not believe such a thing exists.

Faricazy on
    edited September 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    What I want is a full-size mouse that uses bluetooth without a transmitter, straight to the laptop.

Alas I do not believe such a thing exists.

mx1000 bluetooth?

Brolo on