Options

Robin, of Batman and Robin

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like to think he just stayed out of GJ's way... like a buffallo moving out of the path of an on-coming train or something.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure Morrison and Johns have free reign to do whatever they want at DC now

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Concerning 177:
    So we know Spoiler knows Batman's plan, and is carrying it out, without Robin.
    We know she stole the money that Robin paid the Penguin.
    We know she used it to pay an assassin with a history Re: Batman and Robin (and Spoiler) to do something.
    We know someone other than Jason Todd is wearing the Red Robin costume.

What the hell is going on here?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    A story

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    No Keith, tell me what you really think.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, Batman: A Death in the Family is back in print again.

It's pretty shitty that I can buy and read the death of the worst robin in trade form, but that I can't do so for the origin of the best Robin (Tim Drake).

What I'm saying is, I wish A Lonely Place of Dying and Robin: Hero Reborn were still in print, as I would like to read them ( or read again in the case of Hero Reborn, which I read part of as a child).

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    what a coincidence, I have two copies of A Hero Reborn

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    would you really give one to HadjiQuest though?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A Death in the Family is a pretty bad book.

If not for The Cult I'd say Jason Todd existed simply to piss people off.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    would you really give one to HadjiQuest though?

no

i actually just re-read it the other night

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh so seeing Keith in here has reminded me to tell everyone that if they haven't bought the Robin: Year One reprint they are bad people

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i been tellin people to buy it since it was solicited

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Robin and Spoiler is one thing Keith and I agree on. Sometimes I think it is the only thing, but it is a start.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ChomplinChomplin Not 100% a dick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am a Robin fan, Robin is absolutely awesome.

Nightwing also counts, maybe he's even more awesome but very few people know what to do with him.

And about the last issue:
    Apparently Fabian Nicieza really fucking hates Jason Todd, he portrays him like a complete moron in the last issue. I mean he was Robin, I think we all agree he should be pretty acrobatic and have at least decent fighting skills, Tim pretty much beat him in like two panels, and he keeps referring to him as an idiot in his head.

Chomplin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, he says that Jason is so much stronger than him so fighting him head on would be dumb, so he has to play smart.

It's not that Jason's dumb, it's that Tim's smarter than everyone

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, but Jason was just shooting. Like, he used to be Robin, not Punisher or whatever.

I agree Tim is awesome and better than Jason, but it was way too easy for him to take Jason out.

Personally, I liked when they fought on Teen Titans.

Chomplin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When Jason kicked the shit out of Tim?

Or when Tim kicked him in the balls?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well I was talking about when he kicked the shit out of Tim. It was dramatic.

But now that you mention the balls kicking, that was pretty good. Was that on Teen Titans?

Chomplin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That was Teen Titans and it was awful

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And given that Jason kicked the shit out of Tim once, it makes sense that Tim learned from that on how to beat Jason

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chomplin wrote: »
    I am a Robin fan, Robin is absolutely awesome.

Nightwing also counts, maybe he's even more awesome but very few people know what to do with him.

And about the last issue:
    Apparently Fabian Nicieza really fucking hates Jason Todd, he portrays him like a complete moron in the last issue. I mean he was Robin, I think we all agree he should be pretty acrobatic and have at least decent fighting skills, Tim pretty much beat him in like two panels, and he keeps referring to him as an idiot in his head.
    I thought that was fake Jason Todd or something, but I haven't read what he has done recently. Who was Red Robin then?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We don't know.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you have any suppositions

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The popular theory is Jean Paul Valley.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    The popular theory is Jean Paul Valley.

Seriously?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    His return's been hinted at on the Rip Hunter chalkboards, he matches the physical profile, he's a former Bat-family member, and he possesses the training to do the kind of stuff Red Robin can do.

I mean, I guess it could always be Jason Todd of Earth-17 or Booster Gold trying to correct time or something, but Valley's the only person in the Bat-universe that seems probable. Unless there are some other acrobatic, crime-fighting white dudes running around.

oh shit it's ted kord back from the dead!

Munch on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wasn't there something in Manhunter about someone else being chosen as a new Azrael? I wonder how that'll play out if Jean Paul is coming back.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Mark Shaw's set to become the new Azrael.

Which is another thing that led people to believe JPV might adopt a new identity.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I can't see anyone wanting to be Red Robin.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    That was Teen Titans and it was awful

I laughed a little, but yeah, I shouldn't have said good 'cause it wasn't. At all. I just found it ridiculous and funny.

Also, I feel the need to share this: I just saw a red Mini Cooper with Robin's stylized "R" on the back, only it was white instead of yellow.

IT WAS THE RED BIRD.

Chomplin on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't see anyone wanting to be Red Robin.

Why. That costume looks great.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How often has JPV showed up in the DCU?

Has he been around at all since the late 90s?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He's been dead

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It was a bit ambiguousas to whether he was dead or not; he was shot at with two bullets designed specifically to kill him, and his costume was found with two bullet holes in it, but the body wasn't found.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Munch wrote: »

oh shit it's ted kord back from the dead!

Don't get too excited though Beetle-fans... "In the next issue of Blue Beetle, Jaime has to stand by and watch as Maxima feeds Ted through a wood-chipper!"

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well first Maxima would have to come back too.

And actually, Didio recently said there are only three characters he can't see ever coming back from death; Ralph and Sue Dibny, and Ted Kord. I assume because he'd like to see the sacrificial lambs from his three big events (IDC, CtIC, and 52) stay dead.

Nevermind that all their deaths were much more nonsensical and poorly done than say, Barry Allen or Jason Todd, and that their characters actually filled a useful niche, unlike Not-Robin and Kinda-Old-Flash.

.. God, I can't wait until DC gets a new EiC.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, to bring the dibny's back would be to make them less interesting. I mean, they are dead but not gone.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, dead is a bit more interesting than stretchy, and the best part of the characters (their relationship) is still intact.

Leave 'em deceased, I say.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    See, I disagree. Right now they're basically just Deadman and Deadwoman, possessing people and using their bodies to fight crime. It diminishes Deadman's role in the DCU, and makes those scenes where Ralph and Sue use other people's bodies to make out kind of creepy. It also adds magic/mysticism to two characters that, at their cores, were about doing detective stuff and solving mysteries. Anytime you add magic to a mystery, you're adding a total x-factor that renders attention to detail and detection moot, since everything can be explained away by magic. Plus, how much effort do the Dibnys have to go to in order to solve a mystery now? Deadman discovered Batman's secret identity just by following him home. You also lose that fun celebrity aspect of the characters that made them interesting; they were the jet-setting, globe-trotting, well-adjusted superhero sweethearts, and that was cool. There was a lot to work with there.

I'm sure someone could potentially tell interesting stories about two ghost detectives, but that's apparently been blocked by editorial too; didn't Mark Waid say as much some time ago?

So what's the point now? They've gotten rid of celebrity status, the fun (rape and murder whee), the grounded fair-play detective aspect, all the Opal City history, etc. All that's left is the happy couple with a shitload of depressing baggage hanging over them, and the potential for detective stories that end with, "Uhh yeah, a wizard did it.."

I'm happy they're still around at all, but the whole Ghost Detectives thing doesn't do it for me, and I question how much mileage the idea really has. If there's one thing I like about it, it's that Sue actually has superpowers of her own now. Though even that has a negative side, as one of the great things about Ralph and Sue's relationship was how well she'd keep up with him in the crime-solving, despite her lack of powers.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I miss the Dibnys too... but they should all stay dead as a TRIBUTE to what a screw-up DiDouche is.

EDIT

DonE

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO