As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Odd Landlord?

Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So a couple of friends are supposed to be moving into a house the lot of us will share the 20th. But now our landlord is saying we can only move in our stuff and then we can move in later on suck as the 22nd or 23rd. This strikes me as odd because his parents were supposedly living there throughout the summer. We paid our first and last months deposits already and specifically wrote down the 20th as our move in date, yet he didn't give us copys.

Should I be concerned?

Prot3us on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    First, get a copy of that paperwork.

Second, if you've paid for that time, there's no reason why you can't be there. If he's painting or spraying or some shit, he needs to tell you before he ruins your stuff.

Get the paperwork and a reason why he doesn't want you moved in, then go from there.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He is saying we can't move in because the house inspector will be inspecting the house, is the a clause preventing the tenant from moving in while the house is inspected? And what of his parents living there before?

Prot3us on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Where you live would affect this, since every state/area has its own laws.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Toronto, Canada.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, if anything, I'd get him to credit you back for those couple of days you wouldn't be there.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's possible (though unlikely) that your apartment is only allowed X people to live there, and your landlord is allowing X+1 or something. Might be worth knowing.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, he already knows only 5 of us are moving in the 20th. So I don't really see how that would be a problem.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think that was meant to be in reference to the inspector.

Say your apartment is only allowed to house 4 people. The landlord is fine with 5 people living there, but if the inspector comes by and sees 5 people living there then there would be trouble.

Last Son on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It is weird that he's not letting you move in for two days, BUT it also sounds like a common element in owning a house -- stuff comes up and you'd like people to not be there for it.

For example, my last apartment asked us, once a year, to completely empty the kitchen area so they could spray for bugs. We never saw any problems, but each year we'd get a notice and would have to spend a whole evening moving pots, pans, glasses, plates, and more, into the living room, covering them with a sheet so they don't get "bug" spray on them.

We never saw any evidence that they even entered our place, for the 4 times we had to do it. SUCKED so bad each time, though, because that's a lot of work moving stuff out of cabinets into non-cabinet spaces. It's like moving a kitchen yet you still live there!

So no, I don't think this is that odd. Yes, it's kind of crappy, but if some of your guys have no place to live, talk to the landlord about it.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It doesnt seem that odd to me. I was just delayed 2 days because the landlord fell behind in re-grouting my place (all tile floors)

It does suck, but sometimes stuff just has to be rolled with. Figure out the reason and go from there

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hopefully he keeps his word and we actually move-in the 22nd. I'll keep you posted with further events.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    I think that was meant to be in reference to the inspector.

Say your apartment is only allowed to house 4 people. The landlord is fine with 5 people living there, but if the inspector comes by and sees 5 people living there then there would be trouble.

Precisely. Thank you for the clarification.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All these issues are likely bound up in local housing code (no idea how they do it in Canada) and whatever your tenant agreement is.

If you're paid up and signed for a certain date, the landlord can't tell you not to move in before then, unless the lease stipulates certain dates, times or circumstances in which you're not allowed to. Within that, a few things are possible:

1) you are in the right, and could compel him to let you move in.

2) you are in the wrong (probably because you didn't read the fine print.)

3) you are in the right, and the landlord's a bit of a sketchball/behind on things and is trying to finesse you and the inspector.

Read your contract. Answers are probably there.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat_FireEat_Fire Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You need to check the local laws, but in the States (most of them anyway) being forced out of an apartment within the dates on your lease entitles you to pro-rated rent. Basicly if you have to wait a couple of days you do not pay rent for those days.

Example: Your rent is $300 a month. If you have to wait until the 3rd to move into a house the entire months rent should be $280.

Once again you need to check your lease, and local laws.

Eat_Fire on
    -Updating life to SP1-
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I suspect shit needs to be done before you move in on the part of the landlord and he is behind. I guess an inspector/inspection isn't out of the question but I don't think places are inspected before people move in very often where I am.

Unless you're tight on cash or really need somewhere to live for those three days I wouldn't bother making an issue of it. If your landlord is a decent guy its way better to have him on your side long term. I Always try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Phone him up, ask him if he'll be painting or something in the apartment maybe suggest he bring the paperwork with him and you could meet him there to get your copy. Be cool casual and confident, don't go on the attack.

Edit: thought of one other thing.
    He could be getting the carpets steam cleaned (if there is carpeting) and the guy doing it can only come on a certain day.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    According to him its an electrical inspection. And if the house passes we can move in the 22nd. The if is what has me worried. I'll be sure to call him today and ask him for the paper work.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You should also inquire as to what happens "if" the house does not pass. I would personally want to go with the inspector, so I know what to look for if the landlord tries to skimp. Then again, I'm terribly pessimistic about renting apartments.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well a buddy of mine called the landlord yesterday and according to him we can't move in till Friday, the 22nd because the landlord has to get a rental permit from the city(Toronto, North York to be specific)) before anyone can live in the house. On the bright side we can still move our stuff in the 20th(I'll be sure to get my lease copy from him as well).

I'm just getting impatient as home is getting quite boring.

P.S Its a house with a number of rooms not an apartment.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FYI, do NOT move in before you have a copy of that lease! When someone shows up to sign contracts without enough copies to cover every party involved that’s a big red flag that he either doesn’t know what he’s doing or there’s a reason he doesn’t want you to have a copy of the contract to review later.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Prot3us wrote: »
    Well a buddy of mine called the landlord yesterday and according to him we can't move in till Friday, the 22nd because the landlord has to get a rental permit from the city(Toronto, North York to be specific)) before anyone can live in the house. On the bright side we can still move our stuff in the 20th(I'll be sure to get my lease copy from him as well).

I'm just getting impatient as home is getting quite boring.

P.S Its a house with a number of rooms not an apartment.

Interesting indeed.

So what happens if the building fails inspection?

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have you gotten copies yet?

If this landlord hasn't gotten a permit or electrical inspection yet, he's either really well connected with the city, or a real dumbass. You'll have to decide, but either way I wouldn't put my stuff in a building that I may be locked out of -- if the inspection fails.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I've decided to just go pick up my room key and wait till he gives us the house keys Friday, pending the house passes inspection.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So my friends and I called the landlord today and asked when we could move in. He said Friday around 6pm (EST). Ok. And then he tells my friend if the house fails inspection they will return Monday, this makes no sense; what a short turnaround for something that is broken/unapproved to get fixed. I'm starting to feel as if this guy is merely buying time for something to occur. As far as our leases he told my buddy he would give those to us next Monday and go over other things about the house. Thoughts?

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That could be true. I know for my Fraternity house (Massachusetts, US) if we failed inspection (we never did, har har jokers) they would return either later in the week or early next week. That being said, having the proof of scheduled repair, we were told, would be enough to satisfy them.

Then again, it never happened to me so I'm not 100% sure that would fly.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Electrical inspectors will often do quick turnarounds like that, because you can fail an electrical inspection for really easy-to-fix reasons, like cracked outlet covers or exposed wiring if the house has any unfinished areas (basements and attics.) Lots of municipalities seem to charge per inspection, so they don't care.

This increasingly sounds like the landlord is just trying to finesse the inspection process, and get away with repairing as little as possible. It doesn't concern you too much, except that when you move in, you should be extra careful about documenting any pre-existing damage or weirdness.

Edit: my fraternity failed electrial and fire inspections on an annual basis, so I learned a lot about this stuff :P

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm really getting mixed messages from everyone, some of my friends are saying the house isn't finished and we will likely get to actually live there on the 1st. The landlord is saying its possible for us to start living there tomorrow or Monday. I just don't know anymore, I'll see the house for myself tomorrow heres hoping we can live there tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to returning to school and I need to start looking for jobs in that area, I might as well start doing the latter tomorrow.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If the landlord says you're set, then hope for the best. Good luck.

And get that paperwork. :!!:

MichaelLC on