As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SSH Problems] SSH timeout while AIM (Trillian) is running on the Server

JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
I've been trying to Set up an SSH server on my home desktop so I can connect from work. The connection works perfectly as long as AIM isn't connected on the server. Changing the port that the SSH server runs on has no effect.

I'm using Trillian Free for AIM, and freeSSHd for the SSH server. Has anyone has this problem before? Internet searches yield absolutely no information.

Thanks.

SteamID -- JerikTelorian
XBL: LiquidSnake2061
Shade wrote: »
Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
JerikTelorian on

• saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are you running Windows, or UNIX? Why are you running freeSSHd rather than OpenSSH? What end are you running Trillian on, at home (where the ssh server is) or at work? What do you mean when you say "as long as AIM isn't connected to the server" - do you mean the SSH server, or the AIM servers?

You should post your config file, as well.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I managed to resolve the issue, by changing the port that AIM connects on to 443 (This was AIM running on the server, connecting to the AIM servers).

I am on Windows XP Pro, which is why I'm using freeSSHd. I am under the impression that OpenSSH doesn't run on Windows Machines.

I have a slight new problem, though. Now that the SSH is up, I've been trying to connect to the machine on TightVNC's Java Applet web browser, but PuTTY gives a [Strange packet received: type 100] Error when I connect with the web browser. This occurs only when tunneling through SSH.

Does anyone use an alternate free SSH server that allows the VNC applet to connect?

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am on Windows XP Pro, which is why I'm using freeSSHd. I am under the impression that OpenSSH doesn't run on Windows Machines.

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Janin wrote: »

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

I notice it hasn't been updated in a few years. It is better than freeSSHd, or just an alternative?

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian