As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - I'm Barack Obama and I APPROVE THIS ASS-KICKIN'

• Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been said before, many times, but I just want to reiterate it.

The idea of using icons instead of keys for the action cut scenes was the STUPIDEST LAZIEST PIECE OF SHIT MOVE I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS from a game developer.

I spent 15 tries trying to hijack a tank trying to figure out what the fuck the "boot with little squiggly lines" meant before I alt tabbed and looked it up on the internet.

Fuck you, Pandemic.

....what?

I get normal buttons.

I don't.

I get an icon that looks like a fist that's supposed to be the "F" key. A clip that's supposed to be the "R" key. And a boot that's supposed to be the "space" key.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been said before, many times, but I just want to reiterate it.

The idea of using icons instead of keys for the action cut scenes was the STUPIDEST LAZIEST PIECE OF SHIT MOVE I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS from a game developer.

I spent 15 tries trying to hijack a tank trying to figure out what the fuck the "boot with little squiggly lines" meant before I alt tabbed and looked it up on the internet.

Fuck you, Pandemic.

....what?

I get normal buttons.

I don't.

I get an icon that looks like a fist that's supposed to be the "F" key. A clip that's supposed to be the "R" key. And a boot that's supposed to be the "space" key.

oh,pc version. well they'cant make a key for every key on the keyboard and you can change the controls too right?

Guess you're fucked :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote:
    oh,pc version. well they'cant make a key for every key on the keyboard and you can change the controls too right?

Guess you're fucked

Alot of FPS designers do this all the time, particularly in tutorials which leads me to believe its not an impossible feat. Frankly, the PC version so far comes across as an extremely lazy port. Don't get me wrong, its a fun game but the PC version was far from polished. Besides, they could have used generic terms like "Jump key" in plain bloody english and it still would have been infinitely clearer than boot with squigly line, bannana clip, or a hand.
    TekDragon wrote:

Fuck you, Pandemic.

I couldn't agree more. Frankly the whole button pressing minigame to hijack vehicles was just downright stupid in general. Especially given how much the game relies on you utilizing vehicles and how easily vehicles die. Its not so bad on the lower end vehicles, but once you get to some the upper end stuff like the AN and Chinese heavy tanks and helicopters its enough to make you wanna tear your hair out with pliers.

The turn rate on vehicle turrets is also exceedingly slow and inaccurate on the PC version. For some reason, I find the vehicle turrets don't handle fine adjustments very well. So far the easiest way for an enemy to dodge my fire has been to stand half an inch to the left of my crosshair, any attempt by me to center my crosshair on him usually results overshooting the target. Thankfully, when using inaccurate weapons with a cone of fire I actually stand a chance on hitting them with the occasional stray round.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I somehow saved the worst HVT for last. It's the UP guy standing on top of a building, northwest of Caracas. Capturing him is a pain in the ass because there is a propane tank right next to the building (not a fuel tank) and it seems like a mere sneeze can cause it to explode, levelling the whole building.

The strategy that got me the furthest so far was landing on top of the building in a UP chopper and grabbing him, but the building was still levelled by his chucklefucks with the RPGs in their towers. I survived the fall, carried him over a hill, and set him down. Suddenly he shouts "WE HAVE A MAN DOWN!" and collapses. No, I do not want to verify.

edit: Finally captured the bastard. I celebrated by going to Caracas and destroying one of the high rise buildings.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.pandemicstudios.com/community/viewtopic.php?id=12591

So apparently the PC version got a patch today. No word on when the important versions will get one.

Error on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    I somehow saved the worst HVT for last. It's the UP guy standing on top of a building, northwest of Caracas. Capturing him is a pain in the ass because there is a propane tank right next to the building (not a fuel tank) and it seems like a mere sneeze can cause it to explode, levelling the whole building.

The strategy that got me the furthest so far was landing on top of the building in a UP chopper and grabbing him, but the building was still levelled by his chucklefucks with the RPGs in their towers. I survived the fall, carried him over a hill, and set him down. Suddenly he shouts "WE HAVE A MAN DOWN!" and collapses. No, I do not want to verify.

edit: Finally captured the bastard. I celebrated by going to Caracas and destroying one of the high rise buildings.

Sounds like a problem best handled by slow, careful sniping.

yalborap on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know the best rifle for sniping? The .50 caliber anti-material rifle.

Mmm.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Mmm.

Nothing sweeter than anti-material. Don't need a headshot or anything, just BAM!

yalborap on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Error wrote: »
    http://www.pandemicstudios.com/community/viewtopic.php?id=12591

So apparently the PC version got a patch today. No word on when the important versions will get one.
    They remove a paper animation but don't include some form of much-needed internal communication? Crap.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, that patch announcement just killed any desire I had for this game. :( Not the patch itself, the section afterward: "If you are experiencing glitches, make sure you have a real copy, because we programmed the game to mess up if you pirate!"

In my experience, those systems BREAK a good chunk of the time and make the game buggy as fuck even for legit users.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ...you sure they're not just pissing around a bit? Sounds more like internet boogeymanism than anything serious.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

Mmm.

Nothing sweeter than anti-material. Don't need a headshot or anything, just BAM!

Just keep in mind that using an anti-material rifle against human targets is a war crime. Too bad those humans are wearing all sorts of military materials. Boots, shirts, shampoo, soap, whatever.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Mmm.

Just keep in mind that using an anti-material rifle against human targets is a war crime. Too bad those humans are wearing all sorts of military materials. Boots, shirts, shampoo, soap, whatever.

I'm a merc. Things being war crimes is a BONUS, because it means they have to pay me a shitton to do 'em so they can keep their hands clean.

yalborap on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

Mmm.

Wait, is there some kind of in-game penalty for using this?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Mmm.

No it isn't.

Snipers will use them to target humans at long range.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I must say, I am rather disappointed in the direction they took with Peng. They make it clear that he is the same Peng from the first Mercenaries, but this guy in Mercs 2 talks, acts, and looks completely different from that Peng. Whereas Mercs 1 Peng was cool and collected, this one seems rather hotheadish.

SteevL on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ilmmad wrote: »

Mmm.

No it isn't.

Who wears soap anyway?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Mmm.

Wait, is there some kind of in-game penalty for using this?

Nope.

yalborap on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Mmm.

No it isn't.

They don't even have to hit their target, because the shockwave alone will rip the limbs off their body. Sniper rifles are pretty scary.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    They don't even have to hit their target, because the shockwave alone will rip the limbs off their body. Sniper rifles are pretty scary.

Bullshit. They are powerful, though. But the main reasons .50 caliber sniping has caught on are the extremely long effective range and usefulness against mines and unexploded ordnance.

And there's no law against using them on personnel. One rumor that makes the rounds says the Geneva Convention forbids use of .50-cal MGs against human targets, but that equipment such as load-bearing equipment and uniform belts is a valid target. That's probably a military urban myth as well.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Mmm.

No it isn't.

I think you are blowing things out of proportion.. It's a sniper rifle not a macross cannon.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Mmm.

No it isn't.

I think you are blowing things out of proportion.. It's a sniper rifle not a macross cannon.

The shockwave can still do some hardcore damage to you, though.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So is there a way to buy the sports car from that UP mission?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

One of the garage unlocks is that car+a seeking antitank missile launcher on the back, and I think it might be unlockable from UP as well (I enjoy shooting them too much to know for sure, but I saw "Luxury Car" in the list of things you can buy from them.)

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I prefer to snipe with a fuel air RPG. Oh no there's a guy in a tower. FWOOMP BWOOOOOSH oh he's dead now... and so is the tower. Its like a block of C4 with a rocket on it.

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Finally beat the game. The last part was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
    I went to Solano's bunker in an Anaconda. Since I was disguised, I just winched away all the tanks and made a safe path for myself, destroying all the infantry where I could. After I nuked my way into the bunker, I only failed the Solano QTE once. I was really surprised that there wasn't much else to it. I remember capturing General Song in the first game was a lot more frustrating.

I got the "capture all HVTs" achievement too. If I start over with a different chyaracter, I'll not be trying to do that again.

SteevL on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    RedThorn wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

One of the garage unlocks is that car+a seeking antitank missile launcher on the back, and I think it might be unlockable from UP as well (I enjoy shooting them too much to know for sure, but I saw "Luxury Car" in the list of things you can buy from them.)

The one you want is the Pirates' Sports Car. I think you get it by doing the wave runner race three times.

The make and model varies, but sometimes you get some pretty cool shit. Other times, it's more meh, but that's the nature of it.

Also, there are a couple Veloces in some Allied-held mansions (Chinese destruction targets).

freakish light on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've hit a snag with Get Solano.
    I was stupid and managed to use the other two bunker busters from Mischa's mission before realizing that it goes on target if I keep the laser designator on it.

This, of course, means that I have no more bunker busters for Get Solano, and I have no idea how or where to acquire more of them.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You have an infinite amount of free ones in your airstrike menu iirc.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    in...finite? I may need to see if I still have a save from before that mission...

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They will only launch if targeted at the bunker though. I dunno, I managed to not miss first time :D

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh god, that was awesome

So, I'm playing online with some random guy. We try and fail to keep the UP guy alive while he burns stuff, for some reason the other player keeps blowing up the building he's in, I figure whatever. So, we finally finish, and we just have to take the guy back to UP HQ.

So, while my partner grabs a truck and the guy gets in, I hijack a helicopter. I fly it over to him, and let down my winch as a joke. He drives under it, alright, I pick him up and fly him to the HQ.

I set him on top of the UP HQ, and left.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe there's been no mention of the PC Demo yet.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe there's been no mention of the PC Demo yet.

Also, the 360 demo is now available for silver live subscriptions. Dunno if that was mentioned yet, but us cheapos can download it now.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So the achievement where you verify all HVTs.... do you not get that until you beat the game? Because I got every HVT on the map for every faction and no achievement.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So the achievement where you verify all HVTs.... do you not get that until you beat the game? Because I got every HVT on the map for every faction and no achievement.

You've got to capture them all alive.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    There are two achievements though, one for just verifying them all and one for capturing them all alive.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You have to beat the game to get it, because you have to "verify" Solano.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, about the achievement for taking them all alive... Apparently that applies to the story missions too. General Whats-his-face was the only one I didn't take alive and I didn't get the achievement. :|

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You have to beat the game to get it, because you have to "verify" Solano.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, about the achievement for taking them all alive... Apparently that applies to the story missions too. General Whats-his-face was the only one I didn't take alive and I didn't get the achievement. :|
    Luckily I killed one and saved before I learned there was an achievement for it, so now I do whatever the hell I want. It's not that hard to take Carmona alive though. If you sprint after the mansion cutscene you can get to him before he gets in his jeep.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    AsterithAsterith Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Saw this today, http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55011

In short, on october 13th an update will add cheat codes, 6 new characters to play as, and most importantly, remove region-restrictions for co-op play.

Asterith on
    camo_sig.png