As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SCIV: Version 1.02 is out. Vader/Yoda DLC is UP! PA Meta-Friend in OP!

• Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Just tar and feather me if this is a RTFM type question, but how exactly do the soul ring/gems items that you get as treasures from the Soul Tower work? There seems to be no way to equip them, do they just unlock new skills?

If you make a custom variant of a normal char in their P1 or P2 outfit, you cannot customize any of the armor, but you can give them one of the accessories. You can also customize colors, weapons, and skills.

No, you can change normal characters for the most part.. the rings are for the guest Jedi characters

Sakeido on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sakeido wrote: »
    Just tar and feather me if this is a RTFM type question, but how exactly do the soul ring/gems items that you get as treasures from the Soul Tower work? There seems to be no way to equip them, do they just unlock new skills?

If you make a custom variant of a normal char in their P1 or P2 outfit, you cannot customize any of the armor, but you can give them one of the accessories. You can also customize colors, weapons, and skills.

No, you can change normal characters for the most part.. the rings are for the guest Jedi characters

Nuh-uh! You cannot edit 1P costumes, and that's where the rings come in.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Didn't realize that you could add things to P1 outfits. I wish there was a CAS item that was like Setsuka's P1. I'd like to make a Mitsurugi with that half on kimono like he had in SC2 (or was it SC). Or put Voldo in Ivy's P1 get-up. :winky:

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I guess they wanted each character to have at least one distinct look. I prefer it that way, really, and they don't break the same way.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    In ranked...

My Raphael > Kilik, Cervy, Siggy, N00bs, good players, and button mashers.

So your fast decently ranged combos can kill the ranked guys who don't block. I'll buy it. Raph taking good players? I am not so sure, he seems to lack a couple key things to make him consistant. Also, thank god the masses haven't taken to learning some of Yoshi cause dude is a beast.
    To do any good with Raphael you use three or four moves over and over. He's so fucking boring.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually, there are three costumes per.

The Uncustomizable 1P/2P, and a customizable version of the 2P.

The unchangable one's you can still recolor though.

Also, I like ranked matches, but only because they are quick when you create a room and I just want to fucking play.

The PSN's matchmaking is horrible.

Transporter on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seriously... does anyone online use anything other than Kilik, Sieg, or Cerv for ranked matches???

I use Yun... I see a decent amount of Yoshi's, Takis, Sophia/Cassandras, Nightmare, etc. Though I do agree there is an insane number of Cervs but he is a free win usually due to most Cerv players being scrubs. Kilik I dont see so much anymore.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I really don't get why you guys bother with ranked.

It unlocked all the items for me.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually, there are three costumes per.

The Uncustomizable 1P/2P, and a customizable version of the 2P.

The unchangable one's you can still recolor though, as well as add rings/gems, change weapons, and edit skills.

Also, I like ranked matches, but only because they are quick when you create a room and I just want to fucking play.

The PSN's matchmaking is horrible.

Fixed.

Houn on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Roxtar wrote: »
    Seriously... does anyone online use anything other than Kilik, Sieg, or Cerv for ranked matches???

I use Yun... I see a decent amount of Yoshi's, Takis, Sophia/Cassandras, Nightmare, etc. Though I do agree there is an insane number of Cervs but he is a free win usually due to most Cerv players being scrubs. Kilik I dont see so much anymore.

I usually use Mitsu and Tira, but then again I don't care about my rank too much and if the guy is a spammer, I just dodge and spam low moves till they're dead (most of them seem to not know how to block). :P

I've seen more Cervs and Maxis in ranked on PSN.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I believe the gems and rings (accessories) can only be used by the Star Wars characters, Algol, and the bonus characters (the four ladies who are clones).

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    @Page: Speaking of connections, I finally figured out why you couldn't join. I put in a new router but forgot to open the ports for XBox Live again, so my NAT was stuck at moderate. I opened them on my new router and I'm at Open now, so we should try again!

Good joooooerb!

I may be on tonight, we should try for a few games. Got some local tourneys coming up. ;o
    I wish I could live in Toronto. Stupid Midwestern America! I'll probably be on around 5:30 CST, since I have to take care of some stuff later that isn't nearly as fun as a local tourney. :x

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So does anyone use a joystick for the 360? Are they any good? I was thinking of picking this up today:

http://www.hori.jp/us/products/xbox360/soulcalibur4_st_xbox360/index.html

It's $60 but if its good, I guess I can live with it.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I believe the gems and rings (accessories) can only be used by the Star Wars characters, Algol, and the bonus characters (the four ladies who are clones).

Your belief is incorrect. I have custom 1P outfit Cassie and X, both with custom colors, accessories applied, their ultimate weapons, and custom skill loadouts. Seriously, go try it.

Houn on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Do any of the PA guys play on xbox late night? (like 12:30-2:30est)

I have a copy coming to me and will be playing those times when I get it, if you want to add me.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    warder808 wrote: »
    So does anyone use a joystick for the 360? Are they any good? I was thinking of picking this up today:

I'm currently using the exact same stick (except its the DOA4 edition) and I like it a bunch. I have 2 big issues with it:

- LB and RB are essentially completely unusable
    - For some strange reason the colours of the buttons are different from that of the regular 360 controllers, so usually the default binds in every game are just wrong.

luckily LB and RB aren't terribly useful in most fighting games (since you can hit the facebutton combos easy) and pretty much every fighting game since like 1956 allows you to remap your controls.

also, completely personal preference, but they have a square gate that drives me bonkers. Luckily, it is extremely trivial change to switch it to any one of Sanwa's gates, so I changed mine to a Sanwa GT-Y octagon gate that I purchased at a reasonable price at lizardlick.com (yes I know that looks like lizard dick, no I don't work there)

I have all the materials I need to build a stick to my own specifications, but I haven't had time to do the work

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If any of you are still waiting on picking up a stick...

http://kotaku.com/5039035/mad-catz-making-official-street-fighter-iv-controllers

This is gonna be GREAT.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    If any of you are still waiting on picking up a stick...

http://kotaku.com/5039035/mad-catz-making-official-street-fighter-iv-controllers

This is gonna be GREAT.

Aren't Madcats products...usually not good. Though Capcom seems to be collabing with them on it...so maybe they'll be of better quality.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well those damn retards at J&R Computer World aren't good at listening to questions. I called ahead and asked if they had the SC4 themed stick, they said yes. I ended up buying the generic HORI 360 stick instead of the SC4 themed one. It seems as if the difference is just cosmetic. Hopefully this is just as good.

As far as button customization, do they allow you to switch individual button? I looked earlier and it looks like they only have Type A-D, can't remember if there was a custom option.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well those damn retards at J&R Computer World aren't good at listening to questions. I called ahead and asked if they had the SC4 themed stick, they said yes. I ended up buying the generic HORI 360 stick instead of the SC4 themed one. It seems as if the difference is just cosmetic. Hopefully this is just as good.

As far as button customization, do they allow you to switch individual button? I looked earlier and it looks like they only have Type A-D, can't remember if there was a custom option.

You can customize your buttons, but I believe type B is arcade settings. It should look like this:

ABC
    G

You really only need 4 buttons. You can set the other to to Switch if you're going to play tower. Any other combination is either unneeded or easy to do with a stick. That's why you got it, right?

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

You can customize your buttons, but I believe type B is arcade settings. It should look like this:

ABC
    G

You really only need 4 buttons. You can set the other to to Switch if you're going to play tower. Any other combination is either unneeded or easy to do with a stick. That's why you got it, right?
    While we're on the subject of arcade sticks, does anyone know where I can download plans / diagrams for the arc style button layout? Considering I have large hands, I'm thinking that might suit me better.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm currently using the exact same stick (except its the DOA4 edition) and I like it a bunch. I have 2 big issues with it:

- LB and RB are essentially completely unusable
    - For some strange reason the colours of the buttons are different from that of the regular 360 controllers, so usually the default binds in every game are just wrong.

luckily LB and RB aren't terribly useful in most fighting games (since you can hit the facebutton combos easy) and pretty much every fighting game since like 1956 allows you to remap your controls.

also, completely personal preference, but they have a square gate that drives me bonkers. Luckily, it is extremely trivial change to switch it to any one of Sanwa's gates, so I changed mine to a Sanwa GT-Y octagon gate that I purchased at a reasonable price at lizardlick.com (yes I know that looks like lizard dick, no I don't work there)

I have all the materials I need to build a stick to my own specifications, but I haven't had time to do the work

I've been meaning to look into swapping the stick out on mine maybe just changing the gate would work. I am correct that the square gate is why sometimes what feels like 6 is coming out as 3 am I not?
    While we're on the subject of arcade sticks, does anyone know where I can download plans / diagrams for the arc style button layout? Considering I have large hands, I'm thinking that might suit me better.
    www.shoryuken.com forums have an extensive custom build topic.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good games everyone. <3

Yahtzee has done a ZP review of SC4.

Adding to the OP. For anyone who's not familiar with his work, he only reviews the single player portions of a game. And I tend to agree with him on this one.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good games everyone. <3

Adding to the OP. For anyone who's not familiar with his work, he only reviews the single player portions of a game. And I tend to agree with him on this one.

God damn Page I was getting wrecked not only by you but by the other guy before you joined. At least I learned a valuable lesson in that cassie is a real pain to block against.

Those were good practice though, I need to work on my faster mans.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good games everyone. <3

God damn Page I was getting wrecked not only by you but by the other guy before you joined. At least I learned a valuable lesson in that cassie is a real pain to block against.

Those were good practice though, I need to work on my faster mans.

Ya, and that guy was a godamn dirty liar! Japan my ass. He was from Detroit.

After you left we kept playing. I was at 27 wins (in a row) when I left myself. He managed to suck in an actual Japanese player, and that guy was at 2 bars. Not worth my time.

He kept going Rock. I feel so bad for him. You saw what I'm talking about, right? I get him with a CH and I've got a guaranteed combo, he knocks me over and he has a 50% chance of hitting me with a ground throw for, what? 30 damage or so? And sometimes the ground throws don't even connect, since they're specific to head or feet. Not worth it. Since I was escaping 70% of his throws he just couldn't do fuck all against me. :/

PS. I'm glad you stuck with it. Not everyone would do that. <3

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I'm like some kinda glutton for punishment when the punishment is being handed out fairly, since you were beating me with skill and not cheap ololkilikcervyspam. I might be on later tonight (10-12ish PST) for moar pain.

Also I couldn't hear a word you said when you were talking, for some reason my mic volume is incredibly low no matter how much I twiddle the settings.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Was I talking? I don't even remember. I know that the last few games I've been in there's been massive echo, to the point where I can't hear anyone. And there's a lot of ambient noise where I play, so I have to keep the mic on mute until I'm ready to say something.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck anyone that picks Astaroth and the see saw stage. I don't mind getting ringed out when it's my fault for getting to close to the edge, but that combination just feels really cheap to me.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    CulverCulver Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh lizardman, how I love you so...

Culver on
    Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i ran into the most annoying spammer the other day in a ranked match. guy was playing algol and would just do his chair teleport over and over and over and do one canned combo every once in a while. not hard to beat, just really really not fun to play against.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i ran into the most annoying spammer the other day in a ranked match. guy was playing algol and would just do his chair teleport over and over and over and do one canned combo every once in a while. not hard to beat, just really really not fun to play against.

Think my brother played the same guy. It was funny because he called my brother a scrub because he picked Cervantes and did the teleport and backstab moves everytime he teleported in that chair.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ...I haven't heard that song in years. That was the last thing I expected when I started watching.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2008
    Good games everyone. <3

You're making excuses for him. He doesn't care about multiplayer, therefore it doesn't count and the game is bad despite it.

I don't really get Yahtzee some days.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Good games everyone. <3

I hate it when people make excuses for him. He'll pretend the multiplayer doesn't exist to make his point.

Some days I chuckle, but I don't really thin mostly I horribly disagree with everything he says.

Well, the parts about the story being horrible and throw being the win button for most matches in single player is pretty true.

Really, I've found it's best not to take his reviews or whatever too seriously. Not like I'm going to suddenly not like a game because he says a few bad things about it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good games everyone. <3

You're making excuses for him. He doesn't care about multiplayer, therefore it doesn't count and the game is bad despite it.

It's not an excuse. He doesn't review the multiplayer, and he's 99% correct about the single player. I knew without a doubt before watching that he wouldn't take to the game, and in the end, besides the obvious faults he pointed out, I think he was about as positive as he could be.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good games everyone. <3

It's not an excuse. He doesn't review the multiplayer, and he's 99% correct about the single player. I knew without a doubt before watching that he wouldn't take to the game, and in the end, besides the obvious faults he pointed out, I think he was about as positive as he could be.

It reminds me of the terrible reviews of JRPGs from the guy that hates JRPGs.

Unfortunately, the review wasn't funny to me.

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Well...like I said, really shouldn't take his reviews seriously. Because he rarely seems to review games he likes and more so reviews for his fans who for some reason think popular games need to be brought down a peg.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...like I said, really shouldn't take his reviews seriously. Because he rarely seems to review games he likes and more so reviews for his fans who for some reason think popular games need to be brought down a peg.

Oh, I wasn't taking it seriously. It's just that his humor was flat in this one.

So how about that MadCatz SFIV stick? I hear you can choke your opponents over the internet with it.

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll agree that it wasn't his best work, that's for damn sure.

Page- on
    stream