Options

so about these animated shows on Fox...

• Options
    bernbaumbernbaum Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cambot wrote:
    I really agree with the tone of the Simpsons at its peak, is something that is long lost...

Agreed.

The writers have obviously attempted to re-invent the show. However, this has not been as successful as say, the last two or three seasons of southpark, which took on real barbed political subtext. There haven't really been any instances where recent Simpsons episodes have been able to present a brand of humour that is as biting or acerbic as it once was.

bernbaum on
  • Options
    jtmorgan61jtmorgan61 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The writers have obviously attempted to re-invent the show. However, this has not been as successful as say, the last two or three seasons of southpark, which took on real barbed political subtext. There haven't really been any instances where recent Simpsons episodes have been able to present a brand of humour that is as biting or acerbic as it once was.

South park is the main example of a show that is *currently* in peak form (maybe just barely starting to decline now like simpsons around season 8-9) that I could come up with on the way home from work.

I think to really get after the underlying attitudes behind reality tv, the polarized political climate, and the increased interest in foreign affairs, which have been front and central in the cultural consciousness since the 90's ended, you might need different characters than the simpsons have, and a different setting for the family more connected to the real world. Except since the characters have been around for almost 20 years it is difficult to totally reinvent the show. (What's this I hear about bart becoming hardcore religious?)

jtmorgan61 on
  • Options
    CambotCambot Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    South Park impoloded two years ago, starting with that Scientology ep. Ever since then, it's been "who do we pwn now?" every episode.

When it's good old Cartman & Butters style episode, it's great, not when they just lift the topic from last week's episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit and soapbox their way through 20 minutes.

back to Simpsons: It's never intended to be such a scathing take on culture. The last thing I'd like to see right now is the show to get mean or angry. I've been enjoying the personal family themed episodes the past three years (especially the Marge eps). They don't necessarily need new characters or settings with the cast so thick, but what I do miss is when they used to flesh out old ones like Apu and Troy McClure. It was such a obvious writing talent they had to take perviously one-joke characters and give them such personalities. The last time they did this was with Moe in season 14 (when he found a new lease on life in Maggie). I remember seeing that ep and thinking "Brilliant, I've never seen this side in Moe!"

Cambot on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cambot wrote:
    South Park impoloded two years ago, starting with that Scientology ep. Ever since then, it's been "who do we pwn now?" every episode.

When it's good old Cartman & Butters style episode, it's great, not when they just lift the topic from last week's episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit and soapbox their way through 20 minutes.
    I made a list of the South Park episodes I want to collect a little while ago. Seasons 4-8 had the highest representation, particularly Season 6 which I feel is almost pure gold. Season 9 still has a large number of good episodes, but the ones I dislike I really dislike (Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina and Bloody Mary topping the list and bookending the season). But Season 10 so far has been a wasteland. Of the 7 episodes to date, I could only list one that I would care to see again (A Million Little Fibers). The two cartoon wars episodes were so all over the place and unfunny that I couldn't believe these were the same guys who had made The Simpsons Already Did It back in Season 6. I have hope that they can pull this season out of the crapper when they return next month, but not much. At least they have the decency to say they're still doing it for the money, though that's rarely an encouraging thing for a fan to hear.

Um, Simpsons.

"Dental plan."
    "Lisa needs braces."
    "Dental plan."
    "Lisa needs braces."

Gim on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    bernbaum wrote:
    jtmorgan61 wrote:
    I remember the egyptian museum episode being the first one I didn't laugh a single time the whole way through, which shocked me.

Yeah, I can remember when I first realised that I wasn't laughing anymore and that Simpsons-watching was just a habit that I had developed.

Here in Australia, they broadcast an old episode prior to the weeks new episode. I was finding new jokes in episodes I'd seen a million times before, as well as finding wisdom in classic, oft-repeated dialogue. The new episode that would follow was completely devoid and just didn't compare.

So, what other Jump the Shark moments are there ?
    The first episode I realized I never laughed at was the Lucy Lawless one. Same story here... I'd been watching, because fuck... that's what I did on Sunday nights. I stopped watching after that episode, and only watched a single one a few years later, when people on here were swearing up and down that it was good again. I got the one where they're bitching about Jar Jar Binks and go to Skywalker Ranch to complain to George Lucas. Once again, utterly devoid of humor, and I haven't looked back since.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I haven't seen a Simpsons pisode in a good six months. It seems like I every time I turn it on, it's a shitty one. I'm sure Fox has been showing old ones sometime, but I've gotten so frustrated I hardly bother.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    I haven't seen a Simpsons pisode in a good six months. It seems like I every time I turn it on, it's a shitty one. I'm sure Fox has been showing old ones sometime, but I've gotten so frustrated I hardly bother.
    I'm just buying the DVD sets. I've got 8, 9, and 10 left (maybe 11), and I never have to see Fox again.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ravrav Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cambot wrote:
    I don't watch the other two shows, but The Simpsons writers need to learn how to write a story again, and not just this "oh Homer will just work for the mob, no questions asked." Also, why was Lisa in that final scene at all?
    Simple, so they could work in the finishing Godfather gag.

rav on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    in retrospect, how does everyone here feel about the whole ridiculously drawn out hubbub of who shot burns? I dont remember what year it was but man it seemed like they pulled out all the stops and stuff and even got the media involved in the random theories which in the end, while not a terrible episosde, shot itself in the foot by hyping itself up so much.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yes, and I concur.

MrMister on
  • Options
    jtmorgan61jtmorgan61 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    But Season 10 so far has been a wasteland. Of the 7 episodes to date, I could only list one that I would care to see again (A Million Little Fibers).

Wow, I thought 3 of them were really good. Both cartoon wars episodes were stacked and extremely complex; I came away feeling like they had pulled out all the stops. Maybe I've been reading too many political blogs about muslim censorship. I also thought tsst! was hilarious, one of the best cartman episodes ever. Chef wasn't half bad. The other ones (including fibers imo, sorry) were horrible bricks.

The consistency is totally gone, not that it was ever great on south park; i agree the kids have become mostly props for the "pwnage du jour." I think the question is, can they re-up the core interactions that made the show great, or are we all just sick of jew jokes?

Anyone think the south park guys hate family guy so much precisely because loopy, random plots and one-off grossout gags are exactly what they rode for the first 3 seasons, and they're embarrassed about it now?

jtmorgan61 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Tsst! was fairly good, though I missed the references for the most part having never watched any of the TV shows they were parodying. The ending was kind of depressing for me (not Free Willzyx depressing, but still). Although I will forever love them for throwing in "Nanny Skeksis". I just felt that they never really knew where they were going with Cartoon Wars and could have kept it all in one show. That chase on the freeway was nowhere near as exciting as they thought it was.

But hey, you're not alone. Trey was on Penn Gillette's show in July and they were both saying how Cartoon Wars were some of the best shows they've ever done. Guess I'm the odd man out on this one.

As per the Jew jokes, have there been all that many since Passion of the Jew? I can't recall.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Gim wrote:
    Cambot wrote:
    But Season 10 so far has been a wasteland. Of the 7 episodes to date, I could only list one that I would care to see again (A Million Little Fibers).

Nahh...

This episode is an example of the show starting with a single joke, and then running with it. eg: Talking Vaginas.

And despite the "controversy" surrounding the scientology episode, it also only ran on a handful of jokes: Scientology is stupid; Tom Cruise and John Travolta are gay. Meh.

bernbaum on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Actually, as I read my poast, oprahs talking vagina does still raise a chuckle.

bernbaum on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Elendil wrote:

fox has been trying to erase the fact that The Simpsons were ever good. they hardly ever syndicate any episodes from earlier than season 8 or so anymore. I think the show peaked around 6 or 7 myself.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm not all about preachiness, but I think part of the Simpsons' decline has to do with the removal of the "moral of the story." Earlier episodes where Homer and Marge questioned their marriage, or where Bart and Lisa shared a rare moment of compassion, were a hell of a lot more satisfying than the current "Homer does x; y celeb appears; LOL" formula. This show was only good when the viewer felt like something was going on.

So I might not be in the majority, but I've personally come to prefer South Park to The Simpsons in terms of storytelling. South Park still cares about its characters and, at the end of the day, takes the issues it addresses seriously.

I'm holding out faith in The Simpsons movie, though. Well, less "faith" and more "crossed fingers."

For now, I'm very content with early-season reruns on Global, Omni, CBC and The Comedy Network. How many American stations rerun the show, anyway?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is it just me, or has Family Guy become completely forgettable?

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is it just me, or has Family Guy become completely forgettable?

I disagree, but it's certainly not as memorable as it used to be. That being said, I still quote new episodes frequently. I really like family guy though.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Elendil wrote:

fox has been trying to erase the fact that The Simpsons were ever good. they hardly ever syndicate any episodes from earlier than season 8 or so anymore. I think the show peaked around 6 or 7 myself.

Maybe your local stations just suck. Both my local Fox affiliate and UPN (or whatever it's calling itself now) play classic episodes everyday.

And really, I think some of you are overly critical. It's not like the earlier episodes were without shaky premises for a joke and a lot of the episode did revolve Lisa trying to become his friend, it's not implausible for one friend to visit another friend at their house.

Invisible on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That chase on the freeway was nowhere near as exciting as they thought it was.

Exciting? Wasn't the whole point of it that it was pure absurdity (two eight-year olds chasing each other on kiddie tricycles on a freeway)?

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    "Suck my balls Kyle"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Maybe your local stations just suck. Both my local Fox affiliate and UPN (or whatever it's calling itself now) play classic episodes everyday.

And really, I think some of you are overly critical. It's not like the earlier episodes were without shaky premises for a joke and a lot of the episode did revolve Lisa trying to become his friend, it's not implausible for one friend to visit another friend at their house.

I thought yesterday's episode was greatly done. Yeah, they did reach a little (Homer becoming an unquestioned mob boss) but he didn't do anything committing and there were some good laughs.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    BlackDog85 wrote:
    That chase on the freeway was nowhere near as exciting as they thought it was.

Exciting? Wasn't the whole point of it that it was pure absurdity (two eight-year olds chasing each other on kiddie tricycles on a freeway)?
    And it went on way too long. That was my problem with it.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I know I'm the resident Simpsons fanboy here, but the preview clips on myspace.com and fox.com for next week's episode literally had me uncontrollably laughing. And I'm not the type to lean in, squint, and enjoy streaming flash video.
    I'm suddenly anticipating this episode a lot. Hopefully it will turn out to be the same hit lasts year's second episode was (the Lisa graveyard ep).
    Or you guys can hate it, whatever.

"Where cod and halibut frolic..."

Cambot on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    the CBC seems to be running the episodes in order from the beginning.

Which is good, except that I still have another few weeks till we're out of the crappy early episodes.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited September 2006
    Cambot wrote:
    I know I'm the resident Simpsons fanboy here, but the preview clips on myspace.com and fox.com for next week's episode literally had me uncontrollably laughing. And I'm not the type to lean in, squint, and enjoy streaming flash video.
    I'm suddenly anticipating this episode a lot. Hopefully it will turn out to be the same hit lasts year's second episode was (the Lisa graveyard ep).
    Or you guys can hate it, whatever.

"Where cod and halibut frolic..."

Only your Fox link had the clip, but it was indeed hilarious!

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I thought that new Family Guy episode was quite nice. That part with Kermit was just ker-azy :lol: .

That reference to that old Jodie Foster movie was very well done. That rocked.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Last winter and spring my buddy and would tend to watch the simpsons and that whole gang of shows sunday nights. we didn't know it was the season finale one particular night, but fox sure let us know. anyways, at the end of the simpsons episode, they had some big "SIMPSONS in SUMMER 2007" thing. didn't anyone else see thaT?

something will be coming from the simpsons. it will be their end, a movie, or growing up. i can't see what else it would be.

in any case, i'd completely forgotten about it until just this second reading the thread.

edit: ok i googled some stuff, it's a movie in 2007. Maybe they will grow up in it. who knows.

edit 2: and seriously, unless they DO grow up in that movie, it will be the complete death of the franchise. but really, with a movie, there's a chance to completely reinvigorate the show, if the care to.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Man, I still remember when the Simpsons started to air in here in the murky backwaters of Sweden. The bigwigs of channel 3 (the one that originally imported Simpsons to Sweden) decided that cartoons=kids, so they dubbed all the voices in Swedish and aired it together with the other kiddie programs.

Needless to say, that didn't last very long :P

Silpheed on
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    man the only cartoon that is better for kids is spongebob. seriously.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    Tyrant526Tyrant526 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:
    I thought that new Family Guy episode was quite nice. That part with Kermit was just ker-azy :lol: .

That reference to that old Jodie Foster movie was very well done. That rocked.

Oh man, I forgot about that. That was an awesome little throw away. And racist kermit FTW.

Tyrant526 on
    Maul360.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Silpheed wrote:
    Man, I still remember when the Simpsons started to air in here in the murky backwaters of Sweden. The bigwigs of channel 3 (the one that originally imported Simpsons to Sweden) decided that cartoons=kids, so they dubbed all the voices in Swedish and aired it together with the other kiddie programs.

Needless to say, that didn't last very long :P

Ahahahahahahahahaha...

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I stopped liking The Simpsons around the time that they killed off Maude. That said, I found the 'You'll never stop The Simpsons' montage at the end of a clip show to be hilarious, though I can't remember if that was before or after I stopped really liking it.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I stopped liking The Simpsons around the time that they killed off Maude. That said, I found the 'You'll never stop The Simpsons' montage at the end of a clip show to be hilarious, though I can't remember if that was before or after I stopped really liking it.
    After, I assume, since I hated it by then. I actually liked that, and the jockey episode, simply because they both struck me as a refreshing "Okay, we are getting kind of retarded" from the show.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I remember distinctly when the Simpsons took a sharp nose dive. It was that episode where Lisa found out why bullies were beating up kids; they could smell sweat or some ridiculous bullshit.
    After seeing that episode, I thought to myself "Wow... this show fucking sucks".
    Also, a while ago I remember seeing some episode where Bart had a heart attack? It was insulting.

RIP Simpsons.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A lot of the humour in recent episodes seems to come from one-liners (a-la family guy), as opposed to the coy political sub text we enjoyed in seasons 1-9.

When you contrast the season 9 episode "Lisa the Skeptic" to season 17's "The Monkey Suit", both of which tackled Americas views of evolution and religion, there is a much more open attack on creationism in the more recent episoded as compared to the much more subtle approach used in the earlier show.

The problem with the recent episodes is that they've run past their used-by sate after their first viewing. I'll say again that I keep finding new jems in past episodes that I've seen millions of times before.

That being said, however:

Lisa's lawyer: So you're positive that man couldn't have evolved from apes?
    Ned: Just as sure as I am that Jesus hates hip hop!

bernbaum on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    strakha_7 wrote:
    edit: ok i googled some stuff, it's a movie in 2007. Maybe they will grow up in it. who knows.

edit 2: and seriously, unless they DO grow up in that movie, it will be the complete death of the franchise. but really, with a movie, there's a chance to completely reinvigorate the show, if the care to.
    There were links in Linksville to cam clips of the movie's previews [which were in animated sketch form still at that time] and the general consensus seemed to be that they were Funny Shit.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Also, a while ago I remember seeing some episode where Bart had a heart attack? It was insulting.

RIP Simpsons.
    :?
    In what way? It was a great episode. Albert Brooks at the fat camp counselor was amazing.

Cambot on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm mostly positive that people who hate the simpsons now have some imagined history o the show that doesn't really exist.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Glal wrote:
    strakha_7 wrote:

There were links in Linksville to cam clips of the movie's previews [which were in animated sketch form still at that time] and the general consensus seemed to be that they were Funny Shit.
    They were funnier than Simpsons has been in years, but still not equal to the show at it's peak.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg