As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC]Hunter: The Vigil - Start your chainsaws!

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    Arcanis: The profession thing doesn't mean professional hunter: nobody does that. You don't have to take dots in the professional training merit to have a profession (and therefore the asset skills and free specialty), nor do you have to make money in the field for it to count. A war vet fresh from the front will still have all of his soldiering skills, so it would make sense for your character to have that as his profession no matter what his day job is now.

... which is reflected in his skills

... which is why you should list it as his profession

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    why? his profession is a mechanic, not a soldier. when i said it's reflected in his skills, i mean i purchased his skills to reflect military training.

why is it so important to you that i grab some more bonuses when I obviously don't want them

Super Namicchi on
    edited August 2008
    why

o_O

edit: it's not even a bonus since you already included the extra specialty. I'm just going to drop this.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sounds good to me :P

Super Namicchi on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm wondering how to work Jack into the background here.

I suppose he could have been hired on for his expertise and eventually, after enough hints were dropped, realized that the others were on the Vigil?

Or, perhaps as a member of the Miami Union, simply made an effort to investigate the local goings on before realizing the truth?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think its pretty hard to tie in any of these characters especially since they all became independently aware of the WoD.

There is mention of collaborations between Compacts. You could be the Union's "representative" in the cell. While the Long Night and the Loyalists of Thule have theirs. Even if they don't view themselves as such, per se.

edit: Maybe someone on the Union forums directed you in the cell's direction?

Egos on
    edited August 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    No, because of Dexter.

I just started watching it on Netflix. I can see where it would be appropriate for hunter :twisted:

Egos on
  • LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Only Zeke and Amy presently have any kind of connection. Per some kind of timeline, they now control a safehouse, have formed a kind of joint cell of two, and are likely looking to expand their membership to trusted individuals.

For the sake of expediency, we can accomodate the notion that they've been in contact with their organizations, I think. These would be the Union and the Long Night (correct me if I'm wrong).

Could everyone please tie your character in, in some fashion? A hunter recommended by another organization, a random person identified through rumor mongering, a fellow martial arts competitor, a sports trainer, a criminal contact known to Zeke, a recent news item in the national enquirer, etc.

We can flesh things out jointly if we have the meeting vector in place, and get this show on the road. I think just make a decision.

Leemo on
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Loyalists of Thule:
    They show up
    and ask if they can help. The question I want to ask is how do they know?
    They seem suspiciously keen to offer their help.

Maybe i've gotten a hint from the Loyalists that ther was currently a two-man cell operating in Miami that could use some help.
    So Kieran and I do come and offer our help.
    Zeke could have done some business with him in the past, not knowing that he, aswell, was a hunter.
    I suppose he could have been hired on for his expertise and eventually, after enough hints were dropped, realized that the others were on the Vigil?

That could work for Jack.

Tex:
    Maybe the Union has gotten their eye's on him, he fits perfectly, but they want to know how he works in a cell. So they tell Jack to invite him to the cell, where they can observe his modus operandi.

MacGuffin on
    edited August 2008
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    Loyalists of Thule:
    They show up

Maybe i've gotten a hint from the Loyalists that ther was currently a two-man cell operating in Miami that could use some help.
    Zeke could have done some business with him in the past, not knowing that he, aswell, was a hunter.

That works for me. Maybe when my character arrived in Miami, Zeke immediately recruited me to do a job.Once it was done, his men maybe kept loose tabs on people who previously worked for Zeke. And maybe they got wind of the weird dealings Kieran had with the cult/ghouls (whatever we are making it) - along with Henry.

And then Zeke asked to speak to him, and then once a few hints of Occult knowledge was dropped. Zeke invited him (and his ally/Henry) to join up?

Egos on
    edited August 2008
    Egos wrote: »
    Loyalists of Thule:
    They show up

That works for me. Maybe when my character arrived in Miami, Zeke immediately recruited me to do a job.Once it was done, his men maybe kept loose tabs on people who previously worked for Zeke. And maybe they got wind of the weird dealings Kieran had with the cult/ghouls (whatever we are making it) - along with Henry.

And then Zeke asked to speak to him, and then once a few hints of Occult knowledge was dropped. Zeke invited him (and his ally/Henry) to join up?

I'm all for it.

MacGuffin on
    edited August 2008
    Loyalists of Thule:
    They show up

Sounds good to me! I'd prefer my character to be unaware of compacts at this point, but I know that eventually it'll come up.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited August 2008
    so roughly roles come down to

Amy- Brawler +Support
    Henry- Investigative
    Jack- Jack of All Trades/ Intelligence
    Kieran- Scout
    Zeke- The Social One
    Tex- the tough guy

basically? or am I missing anyone?

Egos on
    edited August 2008
    so roughly roles come down to

Amy- Brawler +Support
    Henry- Investigative
    Jack- Jack of All Trades/ Intelligence
    Kieran- Scout
    Zeke- The Social One
    Tex- the tough guy

basically? or am I missing anyone?

Pretty much, in my case.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited August 2008
    Here we have everything assembled.

The Safehouse
    The Safehouse is a gym that Zeke has bought via some legal wiggly diggly, and assistance from a willingness to pay in cashmoney. He justifies this purchase to his lawyer as being an investment, with the intent being to eventually turn it into a hopping nightspot (tentatively named, "Sweat"). As a drug lawyer, she is familiar with the moronic business adventures of her clients, so this doesn't raise her eyebrows at all.

The various legal complexities invovled render it a chore to actually identify the name of the owner, and Zeke is otherwise off the grid so even that isn't going to be too useful. The gym has a ground floor (equipment room, bathrooms & showers, main gym floor) and an upper floor (office, bedroom, living room, storage room, bathroom).

He's obtained a little bit of assistance in refitting the upstairs from some handy folks who know how to hide things, dealing with them in the paranoid fashion that they're used to (blindfolds, tinted car ride, work by flashlight, pay well and promptly). Entry can be gained from the front entrance (office area) or through the loading area, accessible via the poorly illuminated access alley (this leads to the equipment room). Though all signage has long since been removed, the faint ghosts of the letters "G Y M" can still be seen above the entranceway. It's a serviceable building, with electricity, water and heat. Utilities have been dealt with in the same way as ownership, and are automatically paid from a sequence of deposits originating in a dividend-yielding investment account that just happens to yield exactly the amount required each month. To protect it from vandals, the windows were all boarded up when the gym went on the market. Zeke is inclined to leave the boards in place.

Statistics
    Secrecy 3
    Size 3
    Cache 2 (10)
    The Story
    Zeke decides that he needs to purchase a piece of real estate, and finds that Julio Castillo's gym is an appealing asset for a variety of reasons. Castillo insists on meeting the new purchaser, and Zeke complies with this request, albeit in disguise (hair dyed brown, colored contacts, wearing a suit). Julio likes him, because Zeke is a likeable kind of guy.

Julio's daughter is also in attendance, and at the conclusion of business asks Zeke what he intends to do with the gym. Zeke is non-commital, mentioning the possibility of turning it into a nightclub. Amy is a little bit horrified, and suggests a Dojo. Zeke takes this under advisement, asking if that would be "good for the spiritual health of some of the kids around here?". Amy suggests that it would be. Zeke inquires into Amy's interest, discovering her aptitude for Judo.

He briefly contemplates seeing if she'd be interested in supplying some muscle to his criminal enterprises, before realizing that he's never needed any muscle before. But, hey, how often do you meet a Judoka when you're trying to complete a real estate deal. This sparks off a train of thought surrounding his newfound association with the Long Night, and whether or not you can kill a monster with your bare hands. Zeke is pretty sure he can't kill much of anything past a chicken with his bare hands, and views Amy in a new, prospective monster-hunting light. He agrees to keep in touch with her about the gym, and in subsequent conversations susses her out enough with his conversational and listening skills that he divines they're on essentially the same path.

Zeke is overjoyed! Further proof of the existance of an all-powerful and benevolent God. He provides Amy with a key to the gym, suggests she make use of the front door as she's already known in the neighborhood. She's instructed to tell anyone that asks that the buyer has hired her on to be the building manager while he figures out what to do with it, which gives her free access to the equipment. This should attract little attention.

Meanwhile, at the airport, Kieran and Henry are arriving in order to conduct their own investigations. While they orient themselves, Kieran engages in some criminal activity that causes him to overlap with Zeke's social circle. Zeke registers the existance of the newcomer, but thinks little else of it. As Kieran and Henry pursue their work, they have a harrowing encounter with a ghoul that, in distorted form, makes its way through the rumor mill and to Zeke's ears. Identifying the person belonging to this story, Zeke manages to locate him via his criminal contacts, and approaches him in a nonchalant fashion in order to uncover the truth. He is eventually satisfied with Kieran's bona fides, as well as those of his friend Henry, and introduces them to Amy. Zeke tells the new cell members to dress nicely and visit the gym at a time when Amy is present, so that observers will think them to be business associates of the new owners. They're given the guided tour, and provided with the requisite keys.

Shortly thereafter, at an autobody shop downtown, Tex is singlemindedly pursuing his vendetta against vampirekind. His investigations draw some attention that could easily have been life-endind had it been associated with the world of darkness. Fortunately for Tex, he was identified first by a hunter. Unwilling to approach the militant x-factor, the Loyalist hunter tries to figure out what to do with the man. Recalling that a sort of ad-hoc cell seemed to be organically forming in the midst of Miami, he establishes one-way contact with Henry, and suggests he look into the possibility of recruiting the man. The cell of four meets to discuss this, and establishes a plan of action: Kieran and Henry will do what they do best, shadowing Tex and running down his background. No alarm bells are rung during the completion of this activity, and Zeke makes contact with Tex. After achieving a level of comfort, he recruits the new man to the Cell.

Jack actually does some consultancy work with the lawfirm whose services Zeke makes use of. His name appears on a document submitted to Zeke for signing by his lawyer, as a contributor. The sum of his job was to provide a brief paragraph on a case analysis comparing two methods of divesting limited term securities. Zeke passes the name on to Henry for investigation purposes, concerned at a new person possibly knowing about the structuring of the financial arrangements around the safehouse. He's identified as a resource as, during the course of Henry's investigation, one thing leads to another, to another. Zeke arranges to meet the man who contributed that slender paragraph, "I really want to know a little bit more, you know?" and eventually draws him into the Cell.

The now 6-man cell establishes simple procedures governing contact, drop boxes and meetings, pooling their respective skills in order to not be morons about the whole thing. They have firm emergency means of getting in touch with each other, and meetings that are scheduled based on a set code that results in a different time and day for each meeting. The seed for the code is updated after each meeting such that they are not able to be anticipated. Zeke provides financial support when necessary to ease the burden of being a hunter.

This is where we are.

Things that are known, generally, by all members of the Cell:
    Zeke is a drug dealer. The exact extent wouldn't be known without investigation. This is not something he conceals from his cell. He deals primarily in hashish, by the kilogram. He is not blatant about this. He does sample his own product. He is gregarious in the matter of Christianity when he does so.

The safehouse previously belonged to Amy's father, and she has an emotional attachment to it. Amy is a judo expert.

Kieran and Henry have recently had an up-close and personal encounter with a ghoul. Kieran sometimes is on the wrong side of the law, though not to the extent that Zeke is. Henry is a licensed private investigator, with extensive contacts.

Amy is unaffiliated. Zeke of the Long Night. Kieran and Henry of the Loyalists. Tex has no affiliation. Jack is a member of the Union.

Tex is extremely focussed on his mission. He does not divulge details of 'why'.

Jack is the most normal and typical member of the Cell. He also handles some of the bookkeeping associated with keeping things on the down-low.

Edited, and now (I believe) complete.

Rainfall, do we still owe you anything?

Leemo on
    edited August 2008
    Except I'm not a Union member, Jack is, and he wasn't in your story.

Edit: Not to say Amy wouldn't be interested in The Union; of all the compacts it would probably suit her best. She just doesn't know it exists yet.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited August 2008
    Looks good to me.

Also, on a semi-related note, has anyone checked out the Hunter trailers yet?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, and I truly wish that I hadn't.

Anyway, the stuff you guys have look good. I'll try and get a thread up this week.

Rainfall on
    edited August 2008
    Sounds good,
    except i don't think that Kieran is a member of the Loyalists.

How about a name for our cell?

MacGuffin on
    edited August 2008
    "The Doormen"

though too bad its a gender specific term...and it does sound a bit too similar to The Watchmen....and the band the Doors.....

Egos on
    edited August 2008
    "The Doormen"

though too bad its a gender specific term...and it does sound a bit too similar to The Watchmen....and the band the Doors.....

The Doorwatchers?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited August 2008
    The [Whatever the name of the Gym was] Compact?

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited August 2008

Sounds good to me as my only other idea was "Johnny Sokko and his Super Flying Hunter Team"

Egos on
    edited August 2008

Including the name of our Save house is probably not a good idea, even if it's the only thing we all have in common.

MacGuffin on
    edited August 2008
    Do we need a name?
    I suppose we could go minimalist
    Cell A or B,C,D,E,etc.
    or
    Cell 1, 2,3, 13,34, etc.

Egos on
    edited August 2008
    Do we need a name?
    I suppose we could go minimalist
    Cell A or B,C,D,E,etc.
    or
    Cell 1, 2,3, 13,34, etc.

I like nameless. It seems right now we're an ad-hoc self-created cell. Somebody will eventually probably assign us some kind of code designation, but at the moment we're on our own.

I'm sure we'll end up nicknaming ourselves at some point, after a horrific botch.

Leemo on
    edited August 2008
    Do we need a name?
    Not necessarily, at least i don't think so.
    Cells working for a particular organization may be given a code name that suits the organization’s goals or focus. The Ascending Ones might name a strike-team cell after Sekhmet (the lionheaded goddess of war), and one that is devoted to the collection of research and information after Ipuwer, one of the oldest known papyrus documents.
    In general, almost anything can be used as a code name for a hunter or cell, although players would be well advised to listen to Winston Churchill’s advice when choosing one: “Intelligent thought will already supply an unlimited number of well-sounding names that do not suggest the character of the operation or disparage it in any way and do not enable some widow or mother to say that her son was killed in an operation called ‘Bunnyhug’ or ‘Ballyhoo’.

I kind of like "Operation Bunnyhug". :lol:

MacGuffin on
    edited August 2008
    Bunnyhug has my vote.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited August 2008
    You really don't need a name for your Cell. If you're working with a Conspiracy then you might get labelled on specific operations, but your Cell is still just going to be a Cell.

Rainfall on
    edited August 2008
    Anything you need from me while you're about, Rainfall?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited August 2008
    I do believe I have what I need to get started. I'll try and OP tonight, if I'm not too tired after work.

Rainfall on
    edited August 2008
    "As my dad said "Theres a storm coming.""

So little pre-game prep talk. Anyone take a look at the Tactics with hopes of future investment?
    and is anyone else hoping Jack turns out to be the most badass hunter of the cell :twisted: ?

Egos on
    edited August 2008

So little pre-game prep talk. Anyone take a look at the Tactics with hopes of future investment?
    and is anyone else hoping Jack turns out to be the most badass hunter of the cell :twisted: ?

I'm absolutely rooting for him.

I just bought the book about an hour ago, so hopefully I'll get a chance to figure out what's what. My character is entirely from the WOD core book at the mo.

Leemo on
    edited August 2008

My guy?

Also, on Tactics, Dentistry makes me laugh.

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited August 2008
    Yup it would be surprising. Everyone else seems geared up to take prisoners. If you're guy ended up the most lethal it would be unexpected and delightful in a macabre sort of way:)

Egos on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love Hunter, but all my source books are for the Reckoning - sadface.

I s'pose I'll watch you all with envy burning in my heart.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    No, because of Dexter.

I just started watching it on Netflix. I can see where it would be appropriate for hunter :twisted:

Dexter is so good.

SO GOOD

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    I love Hunter, but all my source books are for the Reckoning - sadface.

I s'pose I'll watch you all with envy burning in my heart.

Reckoning is... significantly different from Vigil.

In every possible way.

Rainfall on
    edited August 2008
    So will Hunter get underway anytime soon, Boomer?
    or things too hectic/busy atm?

Egos on
    edited August 2008
    I love Boomer. I saw someone in gamestop who looked just like her once.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing