As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitor calibration and color correction

JedocJedoc In the scupperswith the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so here's the deal. I just reinstalled Windows XP on my main PC, and so of course it reset the color profiles to default. I'm running dual LCD monitors, and I've never been able to get the colors to match up right, which is extremely irritating and distracting. I've tried a couple of programs and calibration images, but it turns out I'm pretty terrible at eyeballing it.

I ran a search on this forum before posting this question, and found a thread that recommended a free calibration tool for Macs, but there was no Windows version.

So keeping in mind that I am way too poor to purchase a Spyder, what is the best way to get both monitors closest to true color? What calibration programs do you use? Open source or freeware would be ideal, but if it's a really good program and no other options come up I'd be willing to throw a moderate amount of cash at the problem.

GDdCWMm.jpg
Jedoc on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To be honest, I have the same problem, but the way I sort it is to go to hotmail.com and tweak my settings until I can make a good distinction between the yellow "read" and white "unread" message backgrounds. I don't mess around with individual colour temperatures or anything, just things like gamma and contrast and stuff.

I suppose if there's a good application out there I wouldn't mind finding out as well.

subedii on
  • Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/

good color correction is not going to be open source, mainly because you need hardware (like the spyder thing).

other than that, most graphic card drivers should have a color correction tab. atleast the nvidia ones do.

flatlinegraphics on